PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Reasonable check for character with flying broom

MadBear
2018-11-09, 10:25 AM
So one of my players has a flying broom as a magic item, that I let them start with (they're essentially playing a witch). I let them know ahead of time that it was possible that the broom was super useful as a utility item, but in combat there was always the risk of falling off.

So I'm curious what other think a reasonable check for staying on the broom would be, and what circumstances would trigger a check at all.

Current thoughts:
- anytime damage is taken, they need to make a DC 5 strength check (athletics) or a check equal to 1/3 the damage taken or fall off the broom.

This way, it's possible especially if hit with a powerful attack to fall off, but weak attacks are unlikely (although not impossible) to cause the character to fall off.

Reasonable? to harsh? not harsh enough? thoughts?

dmteeter
2018-11-09, 10:35 AM
Not harsh enough i'd say at least dc 10

Unoriginal
2018-11-09, 10:37 AM
Doesn't the Broom of Flying's text already give a DC for this?

I might be mistaken, sorry if I am.

Tanarii
2018-11-09, 10:40 AM
Nope. It just gives peed for weight limits, and tells you that you can send it away and summon it back.

It doesn't even say that it requires two hands to fly. :smallconfused:

This means it's highly DM variable.

Darkstar952
2018-11-09, 10:41 AM
I'd say half of damage received in a similar way to concentration, though I would set the floor DC at 5 instead of 10. I'm also tempted to make it an Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to maintain balance.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-11-09, 12:28 PM
My DM has had it so that any effect that restrains, grapples or forces movement on my part can also knocks me off the shovel.(it’s a flying shovel as opposed to a broom.) I’ve been snatched off it by a creature more then once.
Damn Roper.

stack
2018-11-09, 01:04 PM
Could go by the mounted combat rules. "If an effect moves your mount against its will while you're on it, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall off the mount, landing prone in a space within 5 feet of it. If you're knocked prone while mounted, you must make the same saving throw. "

Doesn't handle straight damage though.

Expected
2018-11-09, 09:29 PM
I'd say half of damage received in a similar way to concentration, though I would set the floor DC at 5 instead of 10. I'm also tempted to make it an Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to maintain balance.

I second this. It should be an Acrobatics check with a default DC of 10 and a situational DC (e.g. when taking damage) of maybe 10 + damage done/2 or 3.

Lunali
2018-11-09, 10:53 PM
I'd say you should limit the checks to damage from physical and force attacks, with possible exceptions if they botch a dex save.

DeadMech
2018-11-09, 11:45 PM
What stack said. As well the paralyzed status seemed a reasonable cause for grounding in my game. My DM had also slapped me with a dc 15 dex check a session or two after I got a broom. I felt that was overly onerous and told him so during a break. And since he later withdrew that nerf a session or two later I can only assume he agreed. Heavy wind might also make flight difficult or impossible.

The broom of flying is situationally a hard counter. I don't think damage triggered checks are the correct solution to this "problem". The reason being that any encounter able to trigger such a check is already capable of challenging the rider. If something can reach or shoot at a broom rider they already have negated the benefit of obtaining a broom meanwhile this sort of rule doesn't do anything to pressure a broom rider in situations where the enemies can't trigger one.

You stop a character with a broom from rolfstomping your campaign the same way to stop any character. You design some encounters playing to their strengths and some encounters against them. If a party has a cleric with turn undead you don't make every combat encounter swarms of low power undead. If a party has a paladin you don't make quests a single fight in a day against a single evil monster.

If you are worried about this character trivializing encounters then use enemies that aren't trivialized or environments that limit flight.

Tanarii
2018-11-10, 12:54 AM
Could go by the mounted combat rules. "If an effect moves your mount against its will while you're on it, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall off the mount, landing prone in a space within 5 feet of it. If you're knocked prone while mounted, you must make the same saving throw. "
I've always wondered why that one isn't an Wisdom (Animal Handling) (aka Ride) check. Possibly with variant checks a Dexterity (Animal Handling) check.

Lunali
2018-11-10, 07:53 AM
I've always wondered why that one isn't an Wisdom (Animal Handling) (aka Ride) check. Possibly with variant checks a Dexterity (Animal Handling) check.

Because you aren't trying to control the mount, you're trying to not fall off an object that suddenly moved.

Tanarii
2018-11-10, 11:18 AM
Because you aren't trying to control the mount, you're trying to not fall off an object that suddenly moved.
I'm talking about the rule for mounts, not adapting it to brooms.

stack
2018-11-10, 11:48 AM

Well, in 3.PF, Ride is a dexterity based skill, which was used for such checks. In 5e terms, that would map to Dexterity (ride), but mounted combat has so few rules they seem to have not bothered.

Tanarii
2018-11-10, 12:02 PM
Well, in 3.PF, Ride is a dexterity based skill, which was used for such checks. In 5e terms, that would map to Dexterity (ride), but mounted combat has so few rules they seem to have not bothered.
In 5e Ride is Wis. And named Animal Handling, to give it some additional minor uses. But its still pretty much used for Ride IMX.

Lunali
2018-11-10, 12:06 PM
I'm talking about the rule for mounts, not adapting it to brooms.

So am I, the roll isn't to control the mount, it's to stay on it.

guachi
2018-11-10, 12:32 PM
I'll second or third or whatever the suggestion to make it a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.

DC 5 is a reasonable floor but maybe make it 1/2 damage instead of 1/3.

Tanarii
2018-11-10, 01:23 PM
So am I, the roll isn't to control the mount, it's to stay on it.Why are those different things?

greenfunkman
2018-11-11, 04:38 AM
You could have the broom be powered by an animal spirit and give it personality traits. It might be easily spooked, scared of flying over water and prone to bucking. Therefore requiring an animal handling check!

Lunali
2018-11-11, 07:44 AM
Why are those different things?

Controlling the mount means keeping it from panicking and trying to buck you off. Staying on it means managing to hold on and stay in the saddle despite it suddenly moving 10ft to the left.