View Full Version : Player Help First time making a Druid

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 01:14 PM
Edit: TL;DR - I am now making a 1st level druid after a party wipe.

My current character is in the midst of an amped up SKT and while it is awesome, it is also very deadly. I’ve decided having a back-up character would be a good idea.

The short version of the character idea is a flawed paladin turned druid. He still has the abilities of a 2nd level paladin, but when he went to take the oath of the ancients, deep in the woods he was tested, taunted, and denied. He despaired. After dropping his armor and sword, he picked up a branch and walked north, all the while questioning his purpose. Weeks into the frozen arctic, seeking shelter physically and mentally, he offers himself up to his God again. But this time the answer is different, and he starts his path again, this time as a druid. He was a bit naïve and rebellious. Now he is disillusioned. A hill dwarf that was found wanting in the eyes of the Fey, but he carries on. Possibly a folk hero in the arctic.

What I need help with is, which God fits the role and whether to go Land(arctic) or Moon?

We are in the Forgotten Realms. I’m thinking his alignment is chaotic good or neutral good. I think he will be pretty penniless, and giving of most of the wealth that comes along. Any thoughts?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-09, 01:21 PM
My current character is in the midst of an amped up SKT and while it is awesome, it is also very deadly. I’ve decided having a back-up character would be a good idea.

The short version of the character idea is a flawed paladin turned druid. He still has the abilities of a 2nd level paladin, but when he went to take the oath of the ancients, deep in the woods he was tested, taunted, and denied. He despaired. After dropping his armor and sword, he picked up a branch and walked north, all the while questioning his purpose. Weeks into the frozen arctic, seeking shelter physically and mentally, he offers himself up to his God again. But this time the answer is different, and he starts his path again, this time as a druid. He was a bit naïve and rebellious. Now he is disillusioned. A hill dwarf that was found wanting in the eyes of the Fey, but he carries on. Possibly a folk hero in the arctic.

What I need help with is, which God fits the role and whether to go Land(arctic) or Moon?

We are in the Forgotten Realms. I’m thinking his alignment is chaotic good or neutral good. I think he will be pretty penniless, and giving of most of the wealth that comes along. Any thoughts?

It really depends on what you want out of your God.

For example, Auril would kinda fit, as she's pretty damn harsh and cold, and she might decide that you're fluid, and able to be shaped into a usable tool. Maybe that's what you wanted, to find value. She's Neutral Evil, though.

As for what circle, it heavily depends on what you're aiming to do in combat. Moon Druids are known for having high mobility and keep up in melee combat. Lore-wise, they're protectors of nature's secrets. Land Druids are closer to sages, and are almost like leaders of their realm, providing guidance and advice and such. Land Druids are some of the best casters in the game, and Arctic Druids in particular have some powerful control spells, but they lack in damage.

If your character was training to be a Paladin, the Moon Druid would be a better fit if he's still pursuing something similar.
If your character decided to take an entirely different path (because clearly his first decision was poor), he might have decided to learn an entirely new way of life, which Land definitely supports.

Seekergeek
2018-11-09, 01:30 PM

This is a great concept - I've briefly played a druid/paladin in the past and met the same question you have - my answer came down to the god I ended up choosing for my character (in a home brew setting so not much help to you here). She was a goddess of the hunt, so moon ended up making more sense. It was not a disappointing decision. Smiting in wild shape is a great way to keep damage competitive as you climb in level. I don't play with a heavily optimized table so I can't really get in to how it stacks up against a carefully crafted sorcadin, but I never felt like anything other than an absolute asset both in combat and in social encounters. It was a really really fun build (and character) and I think the meat you've got on your backstory will see you find the same thing is true. I was given a bit of leeway and my DM allowed me to apply the defensive fighting style in animal shape, but certainly that's not something you can count on.

If you go land, you'll likely spend less time on the front lines and by virtue of that, get less out of your paladin levels as far as smiting goes. Arctic does give you some sweet options, though. Hold person + smite can be a nasty combo.

hymer
2018-11-09, 01:31 PM
Marthammor Duin is the FR dwarf god of explorers, expatriates, and lightning. Gives him a natury vibe, and he's NG.

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 04:10 PM
It really depends on what you want out of your God.

For example, Auril would kinda fit, as she's pretty damn harsh and cold, and she might decide that you're fluid, and able to be shaped into a usable tool. Maybe that's what you wanted, to find value. She's Neutral Evil, though.

As for what circle, it heavily depends on what you're aiming to do in combat. Moon Druids are known for having high mobility and keep up in melee combat. Lore-wise, they're protectors of nature's secrets. Land Druids are closer to sages, and are almost like leaders of their realm, providing guidance and advice and such. Land Druids are some of the best casters in the game, and Arctic Druids in particular have some powerful control spells, but they lack in damage.

If your character was training to be a Paladin, the Moon Druid would be a better fit if he's still pursuing something similar.
If your character decided to take an entirely different path (because clearly his first decision was poor), he might have decided to learn an entirely new way of life, which Land definitely supports.

I don't want to pick an evil god, but thanks for the input. Most winter gods seem to lean that way. The role in my mind was more protector than sage, so I might fit the moon druid better than the land druid, but there is something appealing to the image of a druid in a barren land. The flora and fauna are there, but they are harder to find. Maybe Illmater?

For a Moon Druid is Selune too on the nose?

NaughtyTiger
2018-11-09, 04:19 PM
My moon druid is ferocious in battle, but a little boring in play. Melee heavy. super focused on beast mode in combat.
You can convert to a utility beast, but i tended to save wildshape for combat.

Land druid has a little more utility casting and more slots. wildshape definitely became more combat focused.
I like the coastal list better than arctic, but they are both good.

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 04:25 PM
This is a great concept - I've briefly played a druid/paladin in the past and met the same question you have - my answer came down to the god I ended up choosing for my character (in a home brew setting so not much help to you here). She was a goddess of the hunt, so moon ended up making more sense. It was not a disappointing decision. Smiting in wild shape is a great way to keep damage competitive as you climb in level. I don't play with a heavily optimized table so I can't really get in to how it stacks up against a carefully crafted sorcadin, but I never felt like anything other than an absolute asset both in combat and in social encounters. It was a really really fun build (and character) and I think the meat you've got on your backstory will see you find the same thing is true. I was given a bit of leeway and my DM allowed me to apply the defensive fighting style in animal shape, but certainly that's not something you can count on.

If you go land, you'll likely spend less time on the front lines and by virtue of that, get less out of your paladin levels as far as smiting goes. Arctic does give you some sweet options, though. Hold person + smite can be a nasty combo.

Thanks. God of the Hunt is Malar (CE) in Forgotten Realms. Our group does try to be heroes for the most part, so evil gods are not an option. This will be a replacement character so it will depend on what happens to the group. If my current character dies fighting Frost Giants, I will most likely start as a prisoner or slave there.

I do like the idea of wild shape smiting, but I've no idea if that would get DM approval. Smiting with a shillelagh should be fine though. Hold person + smite sounds great too. It won't work on giants, but slow spell will.:smallsmile:

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-09, 04:33 PM
I don't want to pick an evil god, but thanks for the input. Most winter gods seem to lean that way. The role in my mind was more protector than sage, so I might fit the moon druid better than the land druid, but there is something appealing to the image of a druid in a barren land. The flora and fauna are there, but they are harder to find. Maybe Illmater?

For a Moon Druid is Selune too on the nose?

Check out Sylvanas. He's the God of all things Nature, often associated with the specific harshness of it. Where others are explicitly cruel and others kind, he is explicit necessity. There must be a predator, and lightning, and drought. There must be balance. He absolutely hates waste and resources being abused or discarded. Maybe you being abandoned by your original cause led you to Sylvanas, who saw your true potential, and made you into one of his guardians?

Alternatively, Eldath is a kind God of hidden light. She takes in the mistreated and the pained and takes care of them. Her groves are very well hidden, but perhaps you stumbled upon one, and after being looked after, became a permanent ward of Eldath?

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 04:43 PM
Marthammor Duin is the FR dwarf god of explorers, expatriates, and lightning. Gives him a natury vibe, and he's NG.

Thanks, I've looked it up. That could work. This character has tried hard to go a non-traditional route. He has rebelled from normal dwarf stereotypes, so wanderers and explorers fits. A dwarven paladin isn't unheard of, but he chose the Ancients to be different. It didn't work. The Ancients have traditions too. A dwarven druid isn't traditional either, but it does work this time in a very barren place. Not many applicants maybe.

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 04:58 PM
My moon druid is ferocious in battle, but a little boring in play. Melee heavy. super focused on beast mode in combat.
You can convert to a utility beast, but i tended to save wildshape for combat.

Land druid has a little more utility casting and more slots. wildshape definitely became more combat focused.
I like the coastal list better than arctic, but they are both good.

Hmm...I hadn't thought about coastal, but you are right the list is good and all settlements in the north tend to be coastal. I'll have to think about that. Tempest and winter all seem to be evil gods though. I see the role as more than just a combat beast, which is why I'm having trouble deciding which way to go. Thanks for the input.

Seekergeek
2018-11-09, 05:32 PM
I do like the idea of wild shape smiting, but I've no idea if that would get DM approval.

As far as I know, that's RAW and doesn't require DM approval. It's not a spell, it's a class feature.

From the PHB on Wild Shape: "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

From the PHB on Divine Smite: "Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon Attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each Spell Level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an Undead or a fiend."

From a the Brown Bear stat block: "Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + 4) piercing damage."

So, there you go...a bear can smite. I think.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-09, 05:39 PM
That's all correct, Divine Smite works perfectly fine while Wild Shaped.

Seekergeek
2018-11-09, 06:12 PM
Here's a question regarding the restrictions of wild shape which I had never considered: can a kenku druid use her mimicry feature in wild shape? DISCUSS!

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-09, 06:16 PM
Here's a question regarding the restrictions of wild shape which I had never considered: can a kenku druid use her mimicry feature in wild shape? DISCUSS!

Some Sage Advice from Jeremy Crawford: (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/909077662932418566)

A racial trait works with Wild Shape unless that trait requires anatomy the beast form lacks.

Most creatures don't have vocal chords dedicated enough to pull off human speech. However, if you were a bird capable of accurate mimicry (like a parrot), I don't see why not.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-09, 06:21 PM
You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.

You can't cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form.

If you shape into a Parrot, sure. That's just my opinion, this is an Ask Your DM thing.

Seekergeek
2018-11-09, 06:22 PM
I don't know. I'd argue that this followup tweet might make it a bit murky:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/909078764184682496

"The dragonborn's racial trait doesn't specify anatomy. The tortle's does."

The Kenku's mimicry trait doesn't specify anatomy, either...

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 07:28 PM
Check out Sylvanas. He's the God of all things Nature, often associated with the specific harshness of it. Where others are explicitly cruel and others kind, he is explicit necessity. There must be a predator, and lightning, and drought. There must be balance. He absolutely hates waste and resources being abused or discarded. Maybe you being abandoned by your original cause led you to Sylvanas, who saw your true potential, and made you into one of his guardians?

Alternatively, Eldath is a kind God of hidden light. She takes in the mistreated and the pained and takes care of them. Her groves are very well hidden, but perhaps you stumbled upon one, and after being looked after, became a permanent ward of Eldath?

Thanks. Sylvanas is true neutral, but I could probably get away with neutral good. He has lots of Druid followers from what I've read. He could work. It seems he is about protecting the woodlands from society.
Eldath is interesting. She has a really cool vibe, but the pacifism is not what I had in mind and difficult to match up with the paladin past. I am more interested in the protector role.

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 07:32 PM
As far as I know, that's RAW and doesn't require DM approval. It's not a spell, it's a class feature.

From the PHB on Wild Shape: "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

From the PHB on Divine Smite: "Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon Attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each Spell Level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an Undead or a fiend."

From a the Brown Bear stat block: "Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + 4) piercing damage."

So, there you go...a bear can smite. I think.

Ha! Cool. I wasn't sure. Thanks

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 07:34 PM
That's all correct, Divine Smite works perfectly fine while Wild Shaped.

Thanks again.

saucerhead
2018-11-09, 07:53 PM

All I can think of now is a kenku Druid walking around with a parrot on it's shoulder and the parrot doing all the talking, a la pirates of the Caribbean. That and the endless circular mimicking. "I love you pookie-bear." Repeating until someone threatens to murder them.

Seekergeek
2018-11-09, 10:27 PM
I'm really sorry to keep hijacking this thread, but all these things I've never considered keep occurring to me...do a hill dwarf's dwarven toughness get applied to wild shape forms? I would say an Eladrin's fey step would work as it is not a spell, the aasimar's subrace abilities should all work, a ghostwise halfling's telepathy, the firbolg's hidden step and speech of beast and leaf, lizardfolk's hungy jaws, etcetera. All kinds of neat things I've never considered.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-10, 12:33 AM
I'm really sorry to keep hijacking this thread, but all these things I've never considered keep occurring to me...do a hill dwarf's dwarven toughness get applied to wild shape forms? I would say an Eladrin's fey step would work as it is not a spell, the aasimar's subrace abilities should all work, a ghostwise halfling's telepathy, the firbolg's hidden step and speech of beast and leaf, lizardfolk's hungy jaws, etcetera. All kinds of neat things I've never considered.

Using Wildshape replaces your HP with the beast's hp. Dwarves Toughness does not say +1 HP per HD (though it is basically the same effect), it says +1 HP when you gain a Level. Beasts don't have levels and you aren't gaining levels when you Wildshape so I would rule No.

Results May Vary. Consult with you DM.

saucerhead
2018-11-12, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, things did not go well with last nights session and not only did we lose characters, we had a party wipe. It's really disappointing, even though it seemed to be unavoidable.

As such, I won't be making a 10th level character to join the rest of the party. We are all starting at 1st. My character idea here was of a failed Paladin turned Druid. But starting at first level is totally different. I don't think I can plan on failing as a paladin ahead of time. So do I just make a moon Druid?

We rolled new characters last night and the group is:

Deep gnome wizard
Bugbear fighter
Human rogue (rolled amazing)
Human monk
And me a mountain dwarf paladin or druid

The DM really wanted to start playing right away. We started in the yawning portal and are doing Dragon Heist. It seems the DM was ready for a restart, even if the players weren't.
My class choice last night was paladin, but I'm still thinking of changing it to druid.

The stats I rolled are:
We can put them in any order or place we want.
With racial adjustments +2st /+2cn I ended up with this:
Str 17, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 16, Chr 13
I chose athletics and insight from paladin and perception and survival from sailor background. Again, all of this is up in the air. I don't expect the DM to hold me to rushed decisions after killing us all.

I'm open to any suggestions on character creation.
I won't get into the party wipe. It sucks, but it's done.

hymer
2018-11-12, 11:49 AM
That high a strength would seem a terrible waste on a pure druid, but I guess it can make sense from a characterization perspective.
Moon druid makes a lot of sense if you make it to lvl 2. They are plenty tough, and you'd get to play one through the levels when you would be at your strongest. It also makes another wipe slightly less likely, unless of course the DM scales encounters pecifically to your party.

Druid in general seems a good choice for the group, better I'd say than paladin. If you want to be more buffing (in paladinic style), you could consider a shepherd druid. That would also mean you are more likely to be in dwarf form during fights, which would let you use your high strength.

saucerhead
2018-11-12, 06:23 PM
That high a strength would seem a terrible waste on a pure druid, but I guess it can make sense from a characterization perspective.
Moon druid makes a lot of sense if you make it to lvl 2. They are plenty tough, and you'd get to play one through the levels when you would be at your strongest. It also makes another wipe slightly less likely, unless of course the DM scales encounters pecifically to your party.

Druid in general seems a good choice for the group, better I'd say than paladin. If you want to be more buffing (in paladinic style), you could consider a shepherd druid. That would also mean you are more likely to be in dwarf form during fights, which would let you use your high strength.

Thanks for the input. I've read your guide repeatedly, it is great. Thanks for putting that together. It would be better to go high dex and lower str and start as a druid from first level. But if I want to dip into paladin for two levels, I need to get a 13 in str and chr. So I need to change up my starting stats and maybe race. I'll see what I can come up with.

saucerhead
2018-11-12, 09:39 PM
Okay, so rearranging stats and this time applying Hill Dwarf +1 WIS/+2CON I get:
STR12, DEX15, CON17, INT10, WIS17, CHR13
I take Survival and Perception from Druid class and Guild artisan background gives me insight and persuasion. He's a has brewery skills from the Dwarf background too.
No story or anything yet. Just a vanilla, traditional dwarf.

djreynolds
2018-11-12, 10:23 PM
The versatility of wildshape can be very fun if that's your game. Our druid uses his shapes for scouting and spying, rarely for combat.

A druid as a mouse with detect magic is great for scouting in a house or dungeon, often bypassing traps just because of size.

You recharge your uses on a short rest, so it can very versatile, to change shape and sneak into a secret meeting, etc.

Also with lack of a ranger, who really shine in SKT, your wildshape offers up very good scout form such as a wolfs keen hearing and smell give you advantage on perception checks, coupled with your high wisdom... you might be better than the rogue at earlier levels and help avoid trouble while traveling

And for combat you make a formidable tank, and your spell choices are actually very useful.

Just remember before you use your bonus action to take a form, to consider casting a concentration spell. I like flaming sphere during early levels, moonbeam is also great

Your high survival skill will of course aid you in making your way in SKT

Even just becoming a mastiff will allow you to slip amongst throngs of people to hear rumors

hymer
2018-11-13, 03:58 AM
@ saucerhead: I'm glad you've found the guide useful. And that looks like a solid druid to me.
Guildie + druid sounds like an interesting dichotomy of character. There should be something there to hang a backstory on.

xroads
2018-11-13, 12:10 PM
Thanks. Sylvanas is true neutral, but I could probably get away with neutral good. He has lots of Druid followers from what I've read. He could work. It seems he is about protecting the woodlands from society.
Eldath is interesting. She has a really cool vibe, but the pacifism is not what I had in mind and difficult to match up with the paladin past. I am more interested in the protector role.

I know this a moot point now, but your character's alignment and your deity's alignment no longer has to match up. And even in 3.5 days, the alignments could be one step difference. So being a neutral good worshipper of Sylvanas would be perfectly fine. You character could of also worshipped an evil god and not been evil.

saucerhead
2018-11-13, 03:49 PM
I know this a moot point now, but your character's alignment and your deity's alignment no longer has to match up. And even in 3.5 days, the alignments could be one step difference. So being a neutral good worshipper of Sylvanas would be perfectly fine. You character could of also worshipped an evil god and not been evil.

Good to know, thanks.

saucerhead
2018-11-13, 03:50 PM
@ saucerhead: I'm glad you've found the guide useful. And that looks like a solid druid to me.
Guildie + druid sounds like an interesting dichotomy of character. There should be something there to hang a backstory on.

Working on it. Check your inbox for work in progress.

saucerhead
2018-11-14, 11:33 AM
Applying Hill Dwarf +1 WIS/+2CON I get:
STR12, DEX15, CON17, INT10, WIS17, CHR13
I take Survival and Perception from Druid class and Guild merchant/artisan background gives me insight and persuasion, and brewery skills from the Dwarf background too.

This is how I tried to tie it all together for a back story.

Artin Battlehammer followed in her father’s career and went into mining, because that’s what Dwarves do. She worked hard, didn’t complain and carried on year after year.

A mine collapse killed ten of her co-workers and trapped her and five others for almost a week before they were rescued. While she was waiting in the dark, the other Dwarves discussed what they would do when they got out. Mostly it involved getting married, having kids and returning to work in the mine, because that’s what Dwarves do. Artin, however, thought screw that. When she got out, she was going to live in the sunshine where things were alive and green. She wasn’t interested in marriage and kids. She wasn’t even seventy yet. No, the first thing she was going to do was get stinking drunk just for starters.

A week after the rescue, Artin took a payout from the mine and left home. She travelled to a Halfling settlement and got a job at a brewery. She stopped wearing her chainmail and weapons, which made the Halflings relax, and started learning everything she could about the business. A year went by and she was indispensable, and happy. Artin had taught them about Dwarf beer and how Halfling beer was relatively sweeter. Working together they came out with a line called Battlehammer Beer. It was a big success and she took pride in it. The company put an image of a busty blonde in armor on the label. She thought it was funny, as it looked nothing like her, but everyone called the kegs of beer “Tinny’s”. She learned about logistics, supply chain management, quality control, salesmanship and advertising. Artin was good at it. She travelled around in an ever widening area making deals with merchants and guilds. Slowly, she got wealthy.

Eventually, Artin went home. She had received word that her father was killed in a mine shaft collapse. The mine put up a plaque commemorating him and the six others that had died that day, next to all the other plaques of their clan. Then everyone went back to work, because that’s what Dwarves do. She and her family grieved, and after her mother got a payout from the mine, Artin made arrangements for the profits from her brewery shares to go to her mom as well. Reluctantly, she stepped away from her position in the brewery, but knew it was in good hands. Looking after her mother, while her brothers went back to work in the mine, was what was expected of her, but she just couldn’t stay. She didn’t fit into a traditional Dwarven life. She loved being outside among plants, animals and people. There was still so much to go out and learn. She felt it was time to go and start a new adventure.

Artin said farewell to her family, friends and co-workers and bought passage on a ship to Waterdeep. She approached the Emerald Enclave and started over, as an adventurer and a druid.