PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Wizards, Spell Books and Levels - Oh My!

Tawmis
2018-11-09, 03:09 PM
So when you create a Wizard who is Level 1, they get to choose 6 spells to be in their spell book correct?

So when they reach 2nd level spells, they do not automatically get the "X" amount spells granted to them from the 2nd Level spells?

They need to find spell scrolls that would have these spells to memorize into their spellbook at a cost?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-09, 03:12 PM
So when you create a Wizard who is Level 1, they get to choose 6 spells to be in their spell book correct?

So when they reach 2nd level spells, they do not automatically get the "X" amount spells granted to them from the 2nd Level spells?

They need to find spell scrolls that would have these spells to memorize into their spellbook at a cost?

Almost.

Wizards get the starting spells, and they gain 2 spells to automatically add to their spellbook each level, as long as the spells they gain this way can be cast with one of their wizard spell slots. So when you gain level 2 spells, you can choose to automatically add any 2 wizard spells that are either from the Level 1 or Level 2 spell slot options.

Additionally, they can scribe any spells they find into their spellbook, as long as you have a high enough wizard spell slot for it.

Tawmis
2018-11-10, 04:51 PM
Ok, so for example - if I had a Level 1 wizard, I get a spell book with 6 spells in it.

I'd go through the spells, pick my 6 - and these are what are in my Spellbook. And (assuming I find no scrolls to scribe), these would be the 6 spells I would get to choose from.

Now at level 3, I am able to get two Level 2 spells.

So I could pick two Level 2 spells to add to my spellbook (granting me access to 8 spells).

(Otherwise, I could also pick two Level 1 spells that I didn't already have; or 1 level 1 and one level 2 spell).

So no matter what, at level 3 (again, assuming we don't pick up any spell scrolls along the way), I'd have 8 spells to chose from.

Callak_Remier
2018-11-10, 04:56 PM
Ok, so for example - if I had a Level 1 wizard, I get a spell book with 6 spells in it.

I'd go through the spells, pick my 6 - and these are what are in my Spellbook. And (assuming I find no scrolls to scribe), these would be the 6 spells I would get to choose from.

So I could pick two Level 2 spells to add to my spellbook (granting me access to 8 spells).

(Otherwise, I could also pick two Level 1 spells that I didn't already have; or 1 level 1 and one level 2 spell).

So no matter what, at level 3 (again, assuming we don't pick up any spell scrolls along the way), I'd have 8 spells to chose from.

You gain 6 at 1st Level
2 additional spells at lvl 2
2 additional spells at lvl 3 etc...

Millstone85
2018-11-10, 04:57 PM
So no matter what, at level 3 (again, assuming we don't pick up any spell scrolls along the way), I'd have 8 spells to chose from.10 spells.

You forgot to give yourself 2 spells at wizard level 2. Those have to be 1st-level spells.

Lille
2018-11-10, 05:09 PM

I think you're misunderstanding. After 1st level, they get two new spells every wizard level, not every spell level.

Tawmis
2018-11-10, 05:17 PM
By Odin's Eye!

I meant to say _10_ spells, including the 2 I should get at level 2. I was just so focused between Level 1 and Level 3 (because that's when you get Level 2 spells).

_sigh_

Math. We hates it, we do, my precious!

Thank you all for helping make it clear!

Tawmis
2018-11-12, 05:08 PM
Ok - I am reading the Wizard class - and either I am too stupid (rest assured, that's quite the possibility, LOL) - or I can't find -...

Where it says a Wizard gets 2 spells per level?

If someone could point that out to me in the PHB?

And are other classes the same?

Do they get "X" amount of spells that they "learn" per level? Or do, like Cleric and Druids, get their whole spell list to choose from to memorize their max spells?

Millstone85
2018-11-12, 05:20 PM
Ok - I am reading the Wizard class - and either I am too stupid (rest assured, that's quite the possibility, LOL) - or I can't find -...

Where it says a Wizard gets 2 spells per level?

If someone could point that out to me in the PHB?Here is the relevant quote:
Each time you gain a wizard level, you can add two wizard spells of your choice to your spellbook. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table. On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook (see the "Your Spellbook" sidebar).

NaughtyTiger
2018-11-12, 05:33 PM
And are other classes the same?

Do they get "X" amount of spells that they "learn" per level? Or do, like Cleric and Druids, get their whole spell list to choose from to memorize their max spells?

No, wizards are unique in this regard. They learn 2 per level, and can add by scroll.

Divine casters (druid, paladin, cleric) can select/change X known spells from all of their class's spells every long rest.
druid and cleric - X is wisdom mod + level
paladin - X is specified on their spellcasting table.

Bard, ranger, EK, AT, sorc, warlock - know a specific number of spells (based on their spellcasting table) and can only change them at level up.

Millstone85
2018-11-12, 05:39 PM
As a wizard, you have to consider:
* the wizard spell list
* your spellbook
* your prepared spells

With the last being selected from the previous wich is filled from the first.

As a cleric, you just have to worry about:
* the cleric spell list
* your prepared spells

And as a sorcerer, you would have:
* the sorcerer spell list
* your spells known

Spells known are much the same as prepared spells, except you don't get to replace them all every morning. Instead, you can replace a single one when you level up.

Tawmis
2018-11-12, 05:39 PM
Perfect. So only Wizards are a pain in the @#$%. :D

Millstone85
2018-11-12, 05:50 PM
Divine casters (druid, paladin, cleric) can select/change X known spells from all of their class's spells every long rest.
druid and cleric - X is wisdom mod + level
paladin - X is specified on their spellcasting table.Uh, no.

For paladins, X is charisma mod + half level.

Perfect. So only Wizards are a pain in the @#$%. :DPretty much.