PDA

View Full Version : Eberron on Wizards' site

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 12:25 PM
Is it just me or have they done nothing with Eberron since the 4e announcement? Worrisome and irritating, as I don't do much of anything in Forgotten Realms anymore...

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-19, 12:50 PM
Occassional dry spells from time to time on both campaigns. There was the Terrors of Night with the "Plots of Wizards" by Robert Wiese on 9/14/07.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 02:54 PM
I hope Eberron is the main setting for 4.0.

There is a bloody good reason why Forgotten Realms is forgotten.

leperkhaun
2007-09-19, 03:02 PM
There isnt much on the wizards site about it, however if you check the forum posts by the designers and play testers, thats where the info about ebberon is.

Ebberon will go 4e, even if gnomes are taken out of core they will still retain thier position (house and dragonmark). Basically they are trying not to change what makes ebberon ebberon.

Kyeudo
2007-09-19, 03:02 PM
There is a bloody good reason why Forgotten Realms is forgotten.

Because its so full of epic level characters that you can't throw a rock without hitting at least one and possibly start a war that will consume the entirity of the multiverse?

Because evil spellcasters who don't worship Shar make no sense in Forgotton Realms, as the goddess with complete and total control of all magic is good?

Morty
2007-09-19, 03:05 PM
I hope Eberron is the main setting for 4.0.

I belive it was stated there won't be any "main setting" for 4ed, Eberron, FR or otherwise. Though on the other hand, fluff-heavy articles seem to contradict it.

Is it just me or have they done nothing with Eberron since the 4e announcement?

What do you mean by that?:smallconfused: So far, the only thing I remember being said about any setting is that there won't be any core setting and FR will be released first.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 03:08 PM
Because its so full of epic level characters that you can't throw a rock without hitting at least one and possibly start a war that will consume the entirity of the multiverse?

Because evil spellcasters who don't worship Shar make no sense in Forgotton Realms, as the goddess with complete and total control of all magic is good?

And it doesn't have Airships :smallmad: .

Morty
2007-09-19, 03:09 PM

IRC it does, it's just they aren't so widespread as in Eberron. Don't quote me on that, though.

Kyeudo
2007-09-19, 03:12 PM
Forgotton Realms Airships are like propellor planes. A step in the right direction, but uneconomical. Their held up by permanencied levitation spells and sail like an ordinary ship.

Eberron Airships are like jets. Eberron airships fly circles around Forgotten Realms airships, light them on fire, and blow them away.

(Is it obvious I don't like FR?)

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 03:12 PM
There isnt much on the wizards site about it, however if you check the forum posts by the designers and play testers, thats where the info about ebberon is.

Ebberon will go 4e, even if gnomes are taken out of core they will still retain thier position (house and dragonmark). Basically they are trying not to change what makes ebberon ebberon.{emphasis mine}

DO WHAT?!? I've not been on the Wizards' boards since before the 4e announcement (work doesn't let me access 'em and frankly, I got tired of the elitists over there). Please tell me they're not removing gnomes from core!?! They are my favorite race (just a hair in front of goblins--YOU HEARD ME!). How can they possibly remove gnomes from core and have them retain their status within Eberron, or do they become an Eberron race (like changelings, kalashtar, shifters and warforged)? I love Eb and this'd pretty much finish off the other settings for me...

What do you mean by that?:smallconfused: So far, the only thing I remember being said about any setting is that there won't be any core setting and FR will be released first.

To clarify: There's been no new articles or website updates to Eberron at Wizards' website for over a month, as far as I've been able to discover.

Morty
2007-09-19, 03:16 PM
Forgotton Realms Airships are like propellor planes. A step in the right direction, but uneconomical. Their held up by permanencied levitation spells and sail like an ordinary ship.

Eberron Airships are like jets. Eberron airships fly circles around Forgotten Realms airships, light them on fire, and blow them away.
(Is it obvious I don't like FR?)

Preety much, though I fail to see what airships have to do with this. It's not FR's fault it doesn't have elemental binding feats. There are numerous things to pick on in FR, airships aren't one of them.

Please tell me they're not removing gnomes from core!?!

There have been rumors...

To clarify: There's been no new articles or website updates to Eberron at Wizards' website for over a month, as far as I've been able to discover.

And were there articles on any other setting?

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 03:18 PM
{emphasis mine}

DO WHAT?!? I've not been on the Wizards' boards since before the 4e announcement (work doesn't let me access 'em and frankly, I got tired of the elitists over there). Please tell me they're not removing gnomes from core!?! They are my favorite race (just a hair in front of goblins--YOU HEARD ME!). How can they possibly remove gnomes from core and have them retain their status within Eberron, or do they become an Eberron race (like changelings, kalashtar, shifters and warforged)? I love Eb and this'd pretty much finish off the other settings for me...

Personally I hate Gnomes. They're just so..annoying. Hopefully Goliaths will be the new core race because Goliaths kick absolute arse. Lucky for you though they might remove half orcs instead :smallfrown:.

I'm gonna e-mail WoTC and demand they use Eberron since it's a work of art and uses advanced technology without making it to futuristic.

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 03:18 PM
Preety much, though I fail to see what airships have to do with this. It's not FR's fault it doesn't have elemental binding feats.

Uh, PlatinumJester added that FR doesn't have airships, though I'm a little confused about his feelings on it considering the small mad with which he ended the post.

And were there articles on any other setting?

Yeppers. FR has continued to get a few.
I just had a thought: Maybe they're holding the Eberron stuff until they open the Insider stuff more (ie, start charging).

I'll keep my fingers crossed on gnomes not getting dumped. I think gnomes have a place in d&d, OVER halflings (except Eb's halfers; I like their dinosaurs). I feel like halfers are the annoying ones, especially since they've become so kender-like in 3.0 and 3.5.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 03:20 PM
Uh, PlatinumJester added that FR doesn't have airships, though I'm a little confused about his feelings on it considering the small mad with which he ended the post.

When I say airships, I mean the type that can get more than 5ft off the ground.

Morty
2007-09-19, 03:20 PM

I don't know FR all that well, but I remember it does have airships. It's just they're owned by one highly magical nation, and arent elemental-powered planes like those in Eberron and aren't widespread across the world.

horseboy
2007-09-19, 03:25 PM
Halruaa does. Alternately you could bolt the Astrolabe of Nimbraal to your galleon and just have it teleport wherever you wanted instead.

Why is teleport not in Firefox's dictionary, but verisimilitude is?

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 03:26 PM
Halruaa does. Alternately you could bolt the Astrolabe of Nimbraal to your galleon and just have it teleport wherever you wanted instead.

Why is teleport not in Firefox's dictionary, but verisimilitude is?

Or just play Eberron :smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2007-09-19, 03:30 PM
Or just play Eberron :smallbiggrin:

Bah! If I want airships I'll go raid Sky Point with a troll moot.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-19, 03:38 PM

They do Halruan Skyships CL 15 Fly and Suspension but they cost 400,000 GP market and you seeing them flying overhead in the sky isn't a common occurence and taking a passage even rarer as only a few wealthy governments have commissioned any page 56 Shining South.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 03:41 PM
They do Halruan Skyships CL 15 Fly and Suspension but they cost 400,000 GP market and you seeing them flying overhead in the sky isn't a common occurence and taking a passage even rarer as only a few wealthy governments have commissioned any.

FR's airships are like Skodas while Eberron's are like Ferraris.

Morty
2007-09-19, 03:43 PM
FR's airships are like Skodas while Eberron's are like Ferraris.

So, Eberron is better because it's got better toys?:smalltongue:
(as the point of fact, I do know why people prefer Eberron over FR. It's just "it's got airships" doesn't really strike me as anything important)

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 03:45 PM
So, Eberron is better because it's got better toys?:smalltongue:

Naw, Eberron is better because it's got better toys AND as a player (and DM) I feel like I can play with the toys without getting yelled at for messing something up! :smallwink:

OzymandiasVolt
2007-09-19, 03:47 PM
Here is an image (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ssouth_gallery/84361.jpg) from Shining South, an FR book. It's called a skyship.

In fact, the cover (http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_fracc_179290000_lgpic.jpg) of Shining South depicts a literal airship.

(Sorry if this seems a bit late. When I started this post the data was still relevant.)

Morty
2007-09-19, 03:52 PM
Naw, Eberron is better because it's got better toys AND as a player (and DM) I feel like I can play with the toys without getting yelled at for messing something up! :smallwink:

And in non-Eberron setting you can't?
And anyway, since we're at Eberron, I wonder what they're going to with Artificer class, now that there's lower focus on magic items and, if I recall correctly, there won't be any set-in-stone rules on crafting them.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-09-19, 03:55 PM
Maybe they'll introduce better rules for crafting constructs! :biggrin:

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 03:55 PM
And in non-Eberron setting you can't?
And anyway, I wonder what they're going to with Artificer class, now that there's lower focus on magic items and, if I recall correctly, there won't be any set-in-stone rules on crafting them.

Oh, sure you can, in anything but FR. I used to love FR, but it's become so bloated, I just don't feel like playing in it anymore.

As far as artificers go, I was unaware they were going back to the crappy "no rules on crafting magic items" thing. Ugh. That was one of the things that really sold me on 3rd Ed. And I love artificers, so... I may end up sticking with 3.5 because I keep hearing more things that I just don't care for coming with 4e.

OzyVolt: Those are good. FR does indeed have airships, but they don't really compare to the skyships of Eberron. Additionally, in a world totally criss-crossed with portals (FR), they don't seem as cool. :smallsmile:

Spiryt
2007-09-19, 03:56 PM
Crap, guys not another FR vs. Eberron thread, please.

Some guys like Eberron, and some not, that's all.

Morty
2007-09-19, 03:58 PM
Oh, sure you can, in anything but FR. I used to love FR, but it's become so bloated, I just don't feel like playing in it anymore.

/shrug I don't know. I like overall feel of FR, but I don't know enough of it to discuss it.

As far as artificers go, I was unaware they were going back to the crappy "no rules on crafting magic items" thing. Ugh. That was one of the things that really sold me on 3rd Ed. And I love artificers, so... I may end up sticking with 3.5 because I keep hearing more things that I just don't care for coming with 4e.

To be honest, I don't know if there really won't be any rules of crafting. I recall someone from Wizards saying that they will be loosened. I might have messed something up, though. But I do remember quite well that there will be no XP cost for crafting, so craft reserve is going out of the window.

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 04:01 PM

That's not what it started off as, though it seems I've dragged it into the versus. :shrugs: I like reading FR; it's like a good history book or novel. I just don't like playing or DMing in it anymore.

M0rt: I'll keep my fingers crossed on that, too. Oh, well.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 04:02 PM
FR is just bland and boring compared to Eberron. The same happened to Greyhawk except on a lesser a scale.

However this argument is pointless since we all know that Manifest from Ghostwalk is the best capaign setting *cough, cough*.

horseboy
2007-09-19, 04:02 PM

And some of us liken Keith Baker to Carl Macek. :smallwink:

Spiryt
2007-09-19, 04:08 PM
That's not what it started off as, though it seems I've dragged it into the versus. :shrugs: I like reading FR; it's like a good history book or novel. I just don't like playing or DMing in it anymore.

M0rt: I'll keep my fingers crossed on that, too. Oh, well.

Well, I just don't treat all those " Good gods vs Evil", super -epic stuff so serious and litterally, so I don't have any problems with DMing. I like Faerun atmosphere, cosmology (planescape) and stuff.

As for Eberron... I don't have it beacuse Warforged, technomagic and airships just make me spew. Sorry.

Although I heard that there are quite cool feats and new mechanic introduced (action points). For that I may be interested in Eberron, but certainly not in whole setting.

Morty
2007-09-19, 04:18 PM
Well, I find Old World from Warhammer better than FR and Eberron combined, but that's kind of another story.:smallwink:

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 04:29 PM
No worries, Spiryt. I've never been one for "Mine's better than yours so you're a moron!" kind of arguments. Ugh. I understand everyone has opinions and I'll state mine often, but I don't believe everyone has to believe my opinion to be true. They ought to, but I don't think they have to! :smallbiggrin:

Well, I find Old World from Warhammer better than FR and Eberron combined, but that's kind of another story.

That was good stuff. I miss Esteban de Carnazh de Cayero de Silva, the Celestial Wizard.

Morty
2007-09-19, 04:33 PM
That was good stuff. I miss Esteban de Carnazh de Cayero de Silva, the Celestial Wizard.

Well, I personally love greenskins, skaven, low-magic and Chaos Gods more than any particular characters, especially since I've never had an occasion to read much about Old World.

GimliFett
2007-09-19, 04:38 PM
I love skaven and the lizards. My Great Old One and his progeny ruled many a table. :smallbiggrin: Great stuff! The Felix and Gotrek books were pretty good reading, btw.

horseboy
2007-09-19, 04:42 PM
Mmmmm Skaven. Made of win and licorice. I miss my rats.