PDA

View Full Version : Minos: Dark Times [IC]

Pages : 1 [2] 3

demonllama
2007-10-15, 10:26 PM
Ruhidr

Never taking his eyes off of the bandit before him, Ruhidr yells over his shoulder at the driver of his cart (I assume after all this time riding together he knows his name) to see what he can do about the driverless cart, if anything.

That finished, he raises his axe to swing again at the bandit, muttering, "An' yerself, why ain't yers down yet?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

If Torkai makes it to the guy and kills'm before I can take my swing, I'll charge B8. Here's the new Initiative in that case:
[roll2]

And remember to add the 2 to the Attack roll from the charge, in that latter case.

demonllama
2007-10-15, 10:29 PM
OOC: Crit rolls, since I don't think I had time to put up Bless Weapon =(

[roll0]
[roll1]
Edit: Again, if Torkai kills B7 first and I wind up charging B8, please apply the +2 AR from the Charge, if it's applicable to the critical hit roll :P If not, ah well.

SandDemon
2007-10-15, 10:52 PM
Durgrin

"Ya scratch mah shield, ya die painfully!" Durgrin swings his mace to finish the job.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

Berand
2007-10-16, 07:03 PM
Round 37

As the first wagon continues to roll south, Kellin takes the opportunity for a bit of acrobatics. He vaults over the side of the wagon, looses his balance and falls forward in to a roll, then springs to his feet. He meant to do that. Honest. As a flourish, he spreads fingers and shoots out a jet of flame at the nearest bandit (B9), consuming him in a ball of fire.

Near by, Captain Torblood gets to her feet a little shakily, just in time to have the nearest bandit lunge for her. She blocks the first one with her shield (B8), then returns a vicious counter attack that leaves her attacker bleeding heavily, but she's left herself vulnerable. Both bandits behind her manage to land crippling blows (B1 & B3). One finds a crease in her armor with a sword blade, burying deep in to her side, while the other brings his weapon down on her shoulder, dropping her to her knees.

Just as Torkai runs up to distract him, Ruhidr cleaves his axe straight in to the chest of the bandit he was facing (B7), dropping him to the ground like a dead weight, leaving him to plant his foot on the man and yank his axe out. Just like chopping wood!

Meanwhile, Cilene makes here way through the fog in the direction Georgi had to have gone. Just as she reaches the fringes of it she spots the wagon ahead of her, dragging the bandit leader through the dirt. Before she can do anything, she hears a voice to her left. The wizard fades in to existence, spreads his fingers, and sends a wave of colors washing over her.

Cilene:

Color spray:
Will save at DC 12 or be blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round. Making the save negates.

Save: [roll0]
If save failed: [roll1]

Also in the fog, Coignar and the bandit he is fighting continue to take swings at each other, neither connecting.

And finally, tiring of the battle, Durgrin decides to finish it with a heavy blow that sends the bandit before him flying backward a few feet. The man doesn't get up.

The wind pushes the fog to the west a bit, and it is starting to clear.

Damage Report:

Kellin kills B9.
Kiera hurts B8.
Kiera takes 11 damage from B1, doubled for critical (22).
Kiera takes 9 damage from B3.
Ruhidr kills B7.
Cilene - see spoiler above.
Durgrin kills B6.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/Ambush-fog3.png

Sirrion
2007-10-16, 07:27 PM
Torkai

Sighing at having just missed a chance at the bandit facing Ruhidr, Torkai spots Captain Torblood surrounded. With a quick judge of the distance, Torkai begins a charge running straight towards one of the bandits that is threatening Captain Torblood.

Charging at B3, can only attack with one weapon because of the charge. Going to charge to position myself directly above him to avoid an AoO from B8.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack (+2 for charge and another +2 since not dual wielding): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

AC is down to 17 with the -2 from charging

Noldruk
2007-10-16, 07:34 PM
Kellin

Gasping as he watches Kiera drop to her knees, Kellin turns to face B1, uttering the words to set him ablaze!

To hit that MoFO: [roll1]
Incendiary Infliction: [roll2]

demonllama
2007-10-16, 07:44 PM
Ruhidr

Following through on the swing from his axe, Ruhidr looks up in time to see Captain Torblood take a deep sword wound on her back. With not even a glance at Torkai, he takes off charging towards the bandits.

"The sands take yer filthy hides!" Ruhidr roars, raising his waraxe as he runs.

Ugh, sorry. This is against B8, the same bandit I mentioned in my last post as my next potential victim.
[roll0]
[roll1] - with the +2 from charge; AC is 19 until the end of the turn
[roll2]

Ilhares
2007-10-17, 04:25 AM
Cilene

Looking at the mage as she adjusts her grip, Cilene offers a very brief nod of respect towards him before lashing forward with her mace.

Not hiding in the clouds now, pal.

Let's keep it simple and hope, right? Time to charge the mace up with some juice.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

On the off chance this weenie tries to cast another spell:

AoO: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

(damage dependant upon wether or not the mace hits in the initial attack - Cilene will charge the mace a 2nd time if necessary - it's a mage!)

SandDemon
2007-10-17, 10:31 AM
Durgrin

Not wanting to be left out of the fight, Durgrin charges down into the fray with his mace swinging in his hand.

Alright, if Dru kills the mage then I'll run past - 60 feet (speed times three since I'm in heavy armor) as a full-round action, putting me just west of the wagon2 I believe.

If Dru doesn't kill the mage, charge attack B2:

Attack roll w/ Charge: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]
AC is 18 until end of round.

tehsnarf
2007-10-17, 05:20 PM
Coignar

"Alright, you sombitch... this is going to hurt you a hell ova lot more than it's going to hurt me... Coignar tightens his grip on his weapon, and attempts to bring the pain... again...

Initiative : [roll0]
Attack : [roll1]
Fog Miss 1-20% : [roll2]
Damage : [roll3]

There's the pain... take it or leave it.

Berand
2007-10-18, 08:59 AM
Round 38

Most everyone's attention is caught by the assault on the Captain. Watching the opponent in front of him drop, Torkai immediately sprints in her direction, leading with a dagger that lands in the side of one of the bandits (B3). Following right behind him is Ruhidr, who charges headlong in to the back of another bandit (B8). Watching the smoldering remains of the last bandit he faced, Kellin also does his best to relieve Kiera, sending yet another jet of flame from his fingertips, setting yet another bandit on fire (B1). This bandit, despite being badly burned, continues to swing his axe.

Further up the line, Cilene swings her mace at the mage that just appeared next to her. While she resists the magical affects of the color spray, the blinding lights leave her slightly dazzled, and her swing goes wide. Seeing the mage out of hiding, Durgrin turns and runs toward him. His blow, however, is deflected by a shimmering magical aura of mage armor.

Just before Durgrin gets there, the mage reaches out toward Cilene and casts another spell.

Cilene:

Casting grease at Cilene's weapon.

Defensive Concentration DC 15 or spell fails: [roll0]
Cilene's DC 13 Reflex saving throw to avoid: [roll1]

If the first roll succeeds and the second fails, then Cilene immediately drops her mace and has to roll the same save to try to pick it up again, and the same save to try to attack with it and not drop it.

As Torkai charges in, the bandit he stabs spins around and lands a sword blow to his arm, leaving a bleeding gash. The bandit next to him, seeing his companion get charged, turns around just in time to land a blow on Ruhidr just as the dwarf takes a hack at him, leaving them both bleeding. Her attention now relieved from the backup, Kiera manages to turn back to the larger bandit (B1) and parry his attack off her shield. She lunges forward, managing to ignore most of her injuries, and lands a heavy blow with her longsword.

Meanwhile the remaining patchy fog has almost blown off the trail, driven by winds from the ocean. Coignar, finally able to see again, lands a scratch on his foes arm. His foe curses and swings, but Coignar manages to duck cleanly.

All of the drivers have managed to rein in the horses. The un-manned wagon has stopped because the horses walked in to the trees and the hitch held them up.

Damage Report:

Torkai hits B3 lightly.
Kellin flames B1 pretty badly.
Kiera stabs B1, leaving him looking very hurt.
Ruhidr hits B8.
Coignar scratches B4.

Torkai takes 8 damage from B3.
Ruhidr takes 4 damage from B8.
Coignar takes 7 damage from B4.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/Ambush-4.png

Sirrion
2007-10-18, 09:06 AM
Torkai

With the grace of a swashbuckler, Torkai makes a quick feint attempting to mislead the bandit before striking out with both daggers.

Attacking with both daggers again. Feinting first to attempt to catch him flatfooted. If flatfooted, then add sneak attack damage in.

Bluff for feint: [roll0]

Primary attack: [roll1]
Primary daamge [roll2]
Sneak attack damage: [roll3]

Secondary attack: [roll4]
Secondary daamge [roll5]
Sneak attack damage: [roll6]

That should be it!

Noldruk
2007-10-18, 09:51 AM
Kellin

Having watched B1 land numerous telling blows on any who face him (or don't face him, for that matter), Kellin attempts to better position himself to get a clear shot at the bandit. Determined to end their life, he grits his teeth and sends another blaze into the fray!

To Hit: [roll1]
Damage to B1's Dome: [roll2]

demonllama
2007-10-18, 09:56 AM
Ruhidr

With only a grimace to indicate he noticed the minor wound he just received, Ruhidr continues the attack, trying to keep the pressure off of the Captain.

AC back up to 21...
[roll0]
[roll1]

SandDemon
2007-10-18, 10:00 AM
Durgrin

Cursing the mage's armor as his blow swings wide, Durgrin decides to take a new approach in dealing with this infidel. Raising his mace above his head and giving a deadly stare to the mage, he yells loudly "By Reorx's wish, SILENCE!"

Casting Silence on the mage, 20 foot radius. Not going to cast defensively, see if he can hit me with an AoO. If he does, rolling my concentration check for the damage (it's 10+damage he deals). He can try a save to negate the spell, Will Save DC 16.

Concentration: [roll1]

I'm also back to AC 20.

Ilhares
2007-10-18, 10:51 AM
Cilene

Stepping aside of the disgusting goo flung at her by the mage, Cilene mutters something under her breath and attempts to bean the mage again.

OK, I cant recall if I got this in or not, so:

Attack: [roll1]

I'll just leave the AoO options to Berand if necessary. If I cant down this mook, I dont deserve to roll the dice.

Berand
2007-10-19, 11:12 AM
Round 39

The tide of battle swings rapidly in the group's favor now. Torkai makes one of his patented feints, then lunges in with both daggers when the bandit takes the bait, completely disemboweling his opponent. The bandit tries futilely to keep his innards in as he drops to his knees. Next to him, Ruhidr chops his axe deep in to another bandit's side, sending the man crumpling off to one side. As the larger bandit raises his axe to swing at the gravely injured Captain once again, a jet of flame suddenly engulfs him. A charred and blackened figure is all that remains, which drops the large axe and topples over stiffly.

As the bandit wizard starts to intone the words to another spell, Cilene rears back and lands a solid blow with her mace straight on the mages neck. Instead of a spell, a sick gurgle and crack is all that comes out as the mans head nods off at an extremely unnatural angle.

The last remaining bandit, in a position to witness the fall of all of his comrades and not desiring to be any particular hero turns to run. Coignar drops his sword, pulls out his crossbow, and plants a bolt straight in the mans back, sending him tumbling to the ground in a heap.

Everyone gets 1733 experience from this encounter.

These bandits didn't have much with them - the first group had a lot with them because they were busy waylaying travelers, and the camp obviously had valuables. This group however was just out to free Georgi, so they had very little.

Gold: [roll0]
Silver: [roll1]

Divide evenly.

Plus Coignar finds a spellbook on the dead wizard. Of note, it has:
Color Spray, Fog Cloud, Invisibility, Acid Arrow

Ruhidr, when you use lay hands on the Captain, it's close enough to a divine spell that you gain the insight in to your prayer beads and how they work.

The group now has to figure out a few things: What to do with the driverless wagon, what to do with Georgi, and then to get back under way.

SandDemon
2007-10-19, 02:19 PM
Durgrin

"Well, we needs ta get movin' - maybe we canna tie a bit' to Rudhir and have him pull a wagon, har!" Overly amused at his joke, Durgrin continues after a moment. "Any ya able ta ride the wagon maybe - I'm nah such a good driver. And ah say we hog-tie the bastid and throw him in the front seat."

demonllama
2007-10-19, 02:53 PM
Ruhidr

Frowning a moment, Ruhidr turns to Durgrin, "Some other time I'd be angered with yer for implying my Lord chooses paladins that can double as packhorses. Today I just feel sorry for yers that ye took such a big knock to the head yer thinking a driverless wagon is one that's missing a horse." Ruhidr's face melts into a semblance of compassion, "Wait until tomorrow an' I'll see whether yer head can be helped."

Turning to face the driverless wagon, he plants scratches his chin with the edge of his shield. "Knock to the noggin or not, I'm no better driving the cart than yerself. One of the ones on the horses might need to drive, tying their horse to the back of the wagon or some such. I'll leave it to those with experience with those beasts to figure it out."

Sirrion
2007-10-19, 03:06 PM
Torkai

After cleaning and sheathing his daggers, Torkai inspects himself and winces slightly at his injuries. Sighing, he glances about and notices Ruhidr and Durgrin discussing the now driverless wagon and with a shrug walks over and hops up to take the reins.

"I do not mind steering this wagon. It was my wagon in the first place and it can't be too hard, right? Wonder if the driver had any alcohol hidden away to take the sting of this pain..." the last said quietly enough that only those nearby would have heard.

Berand
2007-10-20, 09:27 AM
Round 40

With Torkai at the helm, the wagon train manages to get back underway. He only runs off the road a few times, fortunately, before the group makes it back to town.

Captain Torblood guides you through the gates, walking on foot in lieu of her horse. There is a large warehouse facing the docks, with the crest of the Engothian Silver Guild stamped on the doors. Kiera introduces you to the man in charge there, who checks your names against the ledger provided by Burgoth, thanks you for your help with the wagons, and distributes 150 gold to each. Laborers almost immediately come out and start moving the wagons off toward the docks.

"Well then, you made quite an adventure out of a little guard duty!" laughs Kiera, limping along slightly from her not-yet-fully-healed wounds. "Tough times are coming, if you're interested in working with the Knighthood you should head to the Knight Barracks near the center of town and find out when the next caravan is heading west. The officers at Castle Seraphim can tell you more, but I know they're hiring able-bodied personnel for all sorts of things. Anyhow, it was good working with you all, hopefully our paths will cross again. Now, I need to go file my report." She gives a little respectful salute, and turns to head off in to town. Kellin thinks she smiled especially big at him, but he could be imagining things.

Okay, lots of decisions you can make now. If you want to shop, just say what you want to do or look for. Don't forget Kellin has two gems from the parties first engagement, if you opt to sell things. You could also question people or find an inn or look for certain shops or places. There are ships heading out to various ports, there's the Knights, or you could just wander off.

tehsnarf
2007-10-20, 02:52 PM
Coignar

"Finally! Civilization! Mags, honey, looking at your ass, as well as the dwarves for last two days has made me realize, I need something pretty to look at... and maybe a healer." He rubs his ribs tenderly, motioning to speak to Cilene apart from the others.

Speaking in draconic, in case anyone tries to listen in...

"Personally, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to hang around these fella's. Seem like the type that'd help us stay out of trouble, if you catch where I'm coming from on that... In the mean time, I've got to get me a better weapon than this piece of goblin-crap toothpick. I was thinking about heading for a weaponsmith of some sort, then maybe a local wizard... you in?"

Ilhares
2007-10-20, 07:12 PM
Cilene

Smirking at Coignar's commentary, Cilene slaps a friendly hand to his shoulder as he mentions a healer.

"That's not a half bad idea from you for once."

Turning back towards the rest of the group, Cilene suggests they all meet up at the tavern by nightfall. "If any care to look into other work, we can share news of it over a good meal, and it gives us time to explore this place a bit, we'd not been here long before taking on the last job. There's got to be a few decent shops in these parts."

Okay, first thought up - what happened to Georgi? Did he get hauled off with the captain, or do we have some responsibilities there still?

Next up - As useful as the spiked leather armor is that Cilene has recovered (and boy, would a bearhug work nice), she's actually hoping to find someplace to either sell it off, or trade it in against some other goods. I have to still review a couple books to find some goodies she might want to pick up, so hashing all of it out right this instant isn't a big deal.

Once she offloads the armor, she'll look for something that resembles a library, which probably means looking for the wizardfolk with Coignar, too.

Also updated my sheet with all the level 5 changes.

Noldruk
2007-10-20, 10:53 PM
Kellin

Nodding slightly to his companions as they leave, he shrugs and heads off to a tavern for a quick pint. Intending only on making light conversation, he still uses his talents with words to see what news of things has changed in the last day or two.

Gather Information: [roll0]

After an hour or so, Kellin continues to the shops, intent on exploring his options for both magical and non-magical protection, as his plain scholar robes provide little in the way of stopping power.

Aside from that, I'm interested SPECIFICALLY in items that grant AC, but of course if there's something else would catch my eye, mention that, as well.. While I'm out there I'd also like to sell these gems, haggling a bit with their first offers, and generally attempting to overemphasize both the gem's worth, and my own.

For all that haggling I'm gonna try:
Diplomacy: [roll1]
Bluff: [roll2]

Berand
2007-10-20, 11:03 PM
Round 40a

Addendum. Thanks for the reminder. Kiera takes Georgi with her to the Knight barracks. She says she'll make sure they know who brought him in.

demonllama
2007-10-21, 12:31 AM
Ruhidr

"I'll catch up at the tavern later. For now, I'm going to track down the Knight Barracks and make some inquiries." Ruhidr gives a brief wave, with a "Kiri-Jolith watch over you" as he walks away, muttering about wyrmlings.

Okay, firstly... who's taking care of the Ioune stone that we all said should be sold?

Secondly, with all my time before we meet up:
[roll0]
... to see if I find out any rumors about dragon-based, or dragonish, foes for us to hunt down.

Until we sell some things, there's no point in me visiting the shops :P

SandDemon
2007-10-21, 12:32 PM
Durgrin

Muttering as the group decides to disperse, he feels suddenly useless as the group leader. "Well, ya welcom' ya bastids - get ya the job and ya dunna even ask meh anythin' if ya want to continue. I sees how it is!" As little a detail as it seems to the others, he felt out of place besides being a leader and this hurt him. Intent on being at the tavern later though to keep up with his new workmates, he shrugs and decides to go begin his quest for his chosen arms and armor.

Alright, going to do a little shopping...

-looking for a dwarven warpike (masterwork, so I can enchant it later as a Forger) - very high priority I find one
-looking to sell the shield (which isn't scratched I think :smallwink:) and hammer - going to use Stone Fist spell if I have to fight close.
-maybe some magical full-plate or banded mail (need the max +1 dex modifier)
-going to look for a bank to exchange up some smaller coins (are we taking into consideration coin weight at all?)
-and I know you said it's a small town, but maybe some wonderous items or potion shopping

Also going to look around for any sort of temple for Reorx to make a donation to and pray about the path for the Forger of Reorx. If not, I'll pour some malt liquor on the ground overlooking the sea :smallbiggrin: j/k

Berand
2007-10-21, 04:27 PM
Round 41

Kellin

As the party starts splitting up to do their things, you ask around for the nearest magic shop. One of the Silver Guild guards tells you that Engoth actually has a fairly well-known magic shop located in the city center. He points you on your way, and you head off. When you arrive the shop keeper introduces himself as an alchemist who makes all his own potions. He also deals a lot in trade, especially for whatever other magical gimmicks and knick knacks he can get his hands on. He offers you 1250 gp for the ioun stone, 800 gp for one of the gems (a black pearl) and 600 gp for the other (an amethyst). That adds up to 441 more gp to everyone.

As the first one at the shop, you get first dibs on anything you wanted to purchase:

amulet of natural armor +1 (2000 gp)
glamered studded leather armor +1 (3,975 gp)
ring of climbing (2500 gp)
5x potion of cure moderate wounds (300 gp)
4x potion of invisibility (300 gp)
1x barkskin +4 (900 gp)
22x potion of endure elements (50 gp)
2x potion of cure serious wounds (750 gp)
7x potion of fly (750 gp)
1x potion of pass without trace (50 gp)
1x potion of reduce person (250 gp)

And he says he has some strange amulet that he knows is magical, but hasn't had time to determine what it does yet. He bought it off a sailor who took it from some pirates, but was afraid to use it. He offers it to you for 1800 gps, as-is.

Coignar, Cilene, Torkai and Durgrin

You all stick together, naturally heading for the nearest smithy. It's the largest operation in town that doesn't work solely for the Knights. When Durgrin asks about a dwarven warpike, he scratches his head and says hes never seen one of those before. He suggests you ask at Castle Seraphim, where there are several dwarves living. Either that or back on the mainland in the large trade cities the dwarven clans move equipment through. Cilene, the smith offers you 900 gp for your +1 spiked studded leather armor. As the first ones to this shop, you guys get first dibs:

1x shortsword +2 (8,310 gp)
2x longsword +1 (8,315 gp)
1x battle axe +1 (2,320 gp)
1x dagger +2 (8,302 gp)
2x dagger +1 (2,302 gp)
1x light crossbow +1 (2,335 gp)
3x shortbow +1 (2,330 gp)
1x longbow +1 (2,375 gp)
2x horseman's lance +1 (2,310 gp)
3x studded leather +2 (4,175 gp)
2x chainmail +1 (1,350 gp)
2x breastplate +1 (1,350 gp)
1x heavy steel shield +1 (1,170 gp)

Ruhidr

You run to catch up with Kiera and her prisoner on their way to the Knight's barracks. As you walk she explains a bit more about the Knighthood and what it entails. If you want to become a Knight of the Sword, there are two ways to do it. The first, and most common, is to apply and get accepted to the Squire program. This isn't practical for you, because it entails dedicating yourself to classes and training over the course of one to two years. The other, less common way, is to request special dispensation from the Knight in charge of new recruits in your locality. This often takes the form of a quest to prove your piety and ability, and is largely customized to the individual. At Castle Seraphim, the one in charge is named Captain Telin Rosenthal, a Knight of the Crown. He's one of Lord Tordinrak's highest ranking officers at the Castle.

She also explains that the Knights run regular caravans between Engoth and Castle Seraphim, to move recruits, supplies, and visitors from the mainland. If you decide to move forward with this, you should join up with the next one, which leaves tomorrow.

(Also, check the OOC thread, second post. I've edited it to include a specific list of what Knightly benefits and restrictions.)

Noldruk
2007-10-21, 05:52 PM
Kellin

Eyeing the merchant carefully, Kellin asks to take a look at the amulet briefly before committing to its purchase.

If he lets me, I'd like to cast Identify on it before continuing..
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Berand
2007-10-21, 06:21 PM
Round 41a

Kellin

The shopkeeper shrugs and hands it over. You wave your hands over it, and start to get a sense of its properties. Initially you begin hearing faint whisperings in your head. Your vision dims, and you realize the amulet is telling you the shopkeepers thoughts! Is it a medallion of thoughts? you think to yourself, holding your breath. Wouldn't that be an amazing device to have! You suddenly pick up a clear thought from the shopkeeper:

Boy, I hope this ******* leaves my shop soon, I hate sorcerers. Damn hack-wizards, they are.

You blink in surprise, then your identify spell tells you something is wrong. You get a tainted feeling from it, and as the spell concludes you realize it's not a medallion of thoughts, it's a cursed medallion of thought projection. Good thing you cast identify on it!

Noldruk
2007-10-21, 07:39 PM
Kellin

Nodding to himself, he lowers the amulet to the table with a grim face. 'You were smart in not using the amulet, Mac.. It's cursed.. I'll do you a favor.. take it off your hands and dispose of it for one of those potions of cure moderate wounds..' he adds with a smile. Picking up the amulet of natural armor, he says, 'Aside from that, I'll take this and four more of the potions of cure moderate wounds.'

Assuming he believes me and wants me to get rid of the cursed amulet, I'll wrap it up and shove it down in my backpack, while wearing the amulet of natural armor.

Ilhares
2007-10-21, 11:39 PM
Cilene

No master salesman, this woman Cilene, she just shrugs and accepts the shopkeepers offer. It's may have fit, but it was tailored for a man anyway.

demonllama
2007-10-22, 10:46 AM
Ruhidr

Nodding to the Captain, Ruhidr inquires where he should arrange to join up with tomorrow's caravan.

Once that is taken care of, Ruhidr intends to spend the rest of his time prior to meeting back at the tavern with information gathering.

Since he didn't come up with anything last time, again:
[roll0]

Can't really afford anything, so not too much point in hitting the shops :P

SandDemon
2007-10-22, 11:34 AM
Durgrin

Grumbling about the lack of true craftmanship of the dwarves, Durgrin returns to the tavern with a small walk around the docks to do some looking for information - particularly to jobs, the war and about the dwarves. He makes it a point to stop any dwarf he sees, besides Ruhdir obviously, to talk about home if possible.

Gather Information: [roll0] - come on 1! Maybe if I cheer for it, I won't get it.

Did I find any temple to Reorx?

tehsnarf
2007-10-22, 11:52 AM
Coignar

Grumbling something about high prices, Coignar contents himself with just browsing, waiting for the rest of the group to finish their purchases. Once completed, he chimes in, "I think we should probably head to the wizard shop next, if you don't mind... There're a few things I'd like to purchase before I get a warm meal in me, and a pretty lady at my side." Grinning Coignar patiently waits.

Looking to buy the following spells...
*Level 1*
Shield
Grease
Mend
Summon Monster I
Comprehend Languages
True Strike
Shocking Grasp

*Level 2*
Web
Detect Thoughts
See Invisibility
Blur
Mirror Image
Alter Self
Bull's Strength
Cat's Grace
Spider Climb

Also, wanting to buy spell components for all spells I currently know, plus any new ones I pick up.
And then, I want to take over the world.

Sirrion
2007-10-22, 12:09 PM
Torkai

Skipping out on shopping, Torkai heads straight for the Tavern where the party plans on meeting. Sitting down at a corner table with his back to the walls, he orders some food and ale and enjoys the free time by relaxing while he waits for the others.

Berand
2007-10-22, 12:58 PM
Round 41b

Coignar

The shop keeper has three spells on scrolls available:
true strike (25 gp)
grease (25 gp)
blur (150 gp)

Don't forget each one costs 100 gp worth of material per spell level to scribe in to your spellbook. He doesn't sell many spells around these parts, so he offers you assorted spell components for free if you buy all three spells. One of the scrolls even has dust on it.

Durgrin

You actually do manage to find two other dwarves walking through Engoth together. They're thrilled to see another dwarf in these parts, and especially thrilled that you're a priest of Reorx. They tell you that there are no temples to the dwarven gods on the island that they're aware of... almost all the temples here are to Paladine, and while the human priests happily invite them to pray there, it just isn't the same. They both ask for your blessing before you go.

They also tell you that there aren't any dwarven smiths on the island either, but there is a small crew of dwarven stonecutters and masons working at the Castle, which is who they're with. They're just finishing work on a new harbor gate and breakwall. They explain that the Castle is on a rocky outcropping in the sea with brutal waves and no natural harbor, but Lord Tordinrak wanted room to have at least one ship docked. The crew put in a new bolt-gate to get down to the little harbor the dwarven breakwalll created. They also mention that it was possibly the strangest ship they've ever seen. A large affair with a wide, blunt nose, that almost looks like a sea creature. It's definitely a warship of some kind, and it has sails, but they never let anyone on it or even near it. They also tell you about a second bizarre "ship" at the castle that looks like an insect, has no sail, and is sitting in the castle courtyard. No one is allowed near that one either, and no one can explain how the hell it got to the middle of the courtyard.

When you ask about the smith, they also mention that there is a human master smith at the Castle. He's a very strange fellow even by human standards, but he's one of the best smiths they've ever seen. If anyone on the island can put together exotic dwarven weapons, it's him. Otherwise, they report that the markets in Gambrini will certainly have what you're looking for, since it's one of the main shipping hubs for Engothian and dwarven goods.

Kellin

The shopkeeper politely declines to part with the necklace you say is cursed. He says it's not that he doesn't believe you. It's just that he should check it out himself. And besides, even cursed items have value to someone. But, if you want it you can have it for... 1000 gp.

Ruhidr

Kiera tells you that the caravan to Castle Seraphim leaves at 9am sharp, so they can make it to the first guard post just around nightfall. There are no wagons going with this load, so it's expected to go fast. Instead there's a contingent of Knights from the mainland being sent to reinforce the Castle - mostly Knights of the Sword with a few Knights of the Crown commanding. Sometimes merchants or others wanting to make the trek tag along too. If you and/or your friends want to go, meet at the west gate before 9.

Everyone Else

The general feeling in the air is one of nervousness. It's inevitable, really. Engoth has been a fairly quiet island for ages now. To see such sudden and obvious war preparations going on has set everyone on edge. All sorts of rumors abound, from invasions by neighboring countries, a duergar uprising, invading sea creatures, and even demons. One particularly "helpful" gentleman tells you quietly that he heard from his friend who's sisters husband is in the militia that HE heard two of the Knights talking about dragon men. There's no way to tell what if any of it is credible.

The word from the officials is that the preparations are "precautionary", but no one believes that.

Noldruk
2007-10-22, 01:46 PM
Kellin

Nodding reluctantly to the shopkeeper, Kellin counts out the coins for his purchases. When finished, he wanders off to try and meet up with his companions.

1 Amulet of Natural Armor
1 Cursed Amulet
4 potions of cure moderate wounds
(I'll subtract the 4200 gold when I get home from work)

SandDemon
2007-10-22, 01:56 PM
Durgrin

Giving the blessing of Reorx to the two helpful dwarves, Durgrin says a small thanks for the information and continues to the tavern to starts meeting with the others to discuss their next move. Looking to make his way to the Castle to meet with the curious master smith and get more solid information on current events that don't involve sea monsters, he suggests they make way there. This time he seems a lot less inclined to "run the show" from his attitude, although he's not entirely against just going to the castle by himself.

Perhaps this smith might be able to teach me a thing or two - eh, probably not from a human. Reorx, I seek to aid our kind if in need - place me where you want me.

Berand
2007-10-23, 10:59 AM
Round 42

The group gradually makes its way back to the Inn the trip started out from. They find Torkai already happily drinking with some sailors, who tell him that they just arrived in port on an independent merchant vessel that came all the way up from Certe. They confide that the ports in Toraland were all under heavy guard, and that their ship was boarded and searched by Toraland vessels more times then they can count. They both claim to have been through Toraland before, and have never seen them behave like this. When they docked in Basan City, they were allowed to do their business and instructed to leave straight-away, forced to remain virtual prisoners in their own ships the entire time in port. They were never able to get an explanation from anyone for the reason either.

As all the companions filter in, you all sit down and share what you've learned. Ruhidr mentions the caravan leaving for Castle Seraphim tomorrow morning at 9am. There are also assorted passenger ships in port going who-knows-where, and there are probably a few miscellaneous mercenary contracts posted on the board. A quick glance tells you they all appear to be escort and guard duty in the area.

Time to figure out where you're going next. Also, if anyone missed any shopping they wanted to do, now is the time to get it done.

SandDemon
2007-10-23, 11:27 AM
OOC: My vote is the Castle, if my last post wasn't obvious enough.

Ilhares
2007-10-23, 12:15 PM
Cilene

Cilene eats little and says almost nothing.

The castle's got my vote, she's interested in some of the 'special units' the Knighthood might be using - especially as it relates to anything demon related, which means a trip to the castle for any good intel.

tehsnarf
2007-10-23, 01:04 PM
Coignar

"You drive a hard bargain, merchant, but I'll take them all, as well as the items needed to scribe them in a spellbook, if you've got it." Coignar counts out the total sum (200 for spells + 500 for scribing mats), then joins everyone in the Inn.

He eats little, drinks some, but seems somewhat distracted. He scans the room, looking for familiar faces, and constantly shakes his leg in a nervous gesture. At hearing of the Castle, he looks around at his companions, nodding his interest and resumes his scan of the crowd.

demonllama
2007-10-23, 02:37 PM
Ruhidr

"... an' that's why I'm headed to Castle Seraphim, myself," Ruhidr says before taking a deep drink from his tankard. "We seemed to work well together, an' I'd like to see us keep doing that."

"If nothing else, mayhap the Knights can tell us more of the dragonmen yers heard rumors about."

Noldruk
2007-10-23, 06:57 PM
Kellin

Downing a quick pint, Kellin nods in agreement with those mentioning the Castle. 'I'm all for it.. dragonmen, invasion, uprising, or sea creatures, this is making for interesting times... and chicks dig heroes.' Throwing an elbow at Torkai's rib with a grin, Kellin motions to the barmaid and orders the pair another round.

Berand
2007-10-23, 10:06 PM
Round 43

The group quickly reaches a consensus on travel to Castle Seraphim tomorrow. With that, a few more drinks go around, a bit of food, and maybe Kellin pinches a barmaid on the rear and blames it on Torkai. You know, the usual seedy bar pleasantries. Fortunately there is only one small bar fight that night, and the group manages to not be involved. One by one, everyone retires to the tiny, dirty little rooms the Inn rents out to various sailors and travelers.

The next morning the party assembles downstairs and heads out to the west gate. At a small courtyard just inside the gate they find the band of Knights and their followers getting ready to head west. Running around seeing to some last-minute preparations is none other then Kiera. She comes over to the group to say hello.

"Well, it turns out I've been recalled to Castle Seraphim for some reason or another. I was supposed to lead one of the new garrisons from the mainland in to the woods to round up more bandits but... the bosses had other things in mind. Looks like we'll be traveling together again. Hopefully I don't need any life-saving this time." She smiles good-naturedly at everyone.

The party consists of two squads of Knights from the mainland, 8 Knights of the Sword in each, under the control of a Knight of the Crown named Sir Tomsad, a thick barrel of a man who is back at the barracks making last-minute preparations for his squads relocation. There is also a contingent of 30 militia from Engoth, mainly bowmen. Along with all that there are about ten non-military personnel and a string of pack animals - some appear to be craftsmen or engineers, two are priests, and Durgrin spots the two dwarves he ran in to yesterday, all of whom are heading to the castle. All together there are 18 Knights, 30 militia, 10 non-military and assorted animals, plus the 6 of you - a formidable force.

Kiera informs you that the group will be setting out as soon as Lieutenant Tomsad is back, which should be within 15-20 minutes. If you have any last-minute preparations to make, now's the time.

OOC:

The next round will come pretty quickly, this round is just to allow you guys to get in any last-minute stuff you may have missed with how rapidly we moved through this part. Probably tomorrow early afternoon.

Berand
2007-10-24, 12:02 PM
Round 44

The other Knight makes it back, and the party sets out. The militia archers march along in a loose formation and chat amongst themselves, while the Knights, all of whom are mounted, carefully watch the trees as the group moves. With a party this heavily armed there isn't much fear of an attack, and coupled with the absence of wagons to slow things down, the group moves fairly rapidly.

The first day goes uneventfully, with the occasional conversation amongst the group and the Knights, all of whom are young and fairly inexperienced. You notice they all clearly defer to Kiera. There's a lot less discipline amongst the militia and civilians, but they're mostly all friendly. The dwarves spend a lot of time chatting with each other.

The first night is spent at a clearing overseen by a small stone watchtower. The towers are set up specifically to serve as safe camping points for the three-day two-night trip between Engoth and Castle Seraphim. The towers are manned by two Knights and eight militia each, with their time often spent patrolling the nearby areas and keeping travelers safe. After an uneventful stay, the group once again hits the road.

About 3/4ths of the way through the second day of travel, one of the groups forward scouts comes running back, where he flags down Captain Torblood and Lieutenant Tomsad. You were all near by talking with Kiera when the scout runs up.

The scout gives a quick salute. "Sir, Mam. I found some tracks up ahead you should take a look at." He frowns. "I think it's a giant. You can clearly see where it crashed through the forest, out on to the road, where it staggered around a bit then crashed back in to the woods and headed off north."

Kiera frowns in thought for a moment. "Just one you say? Why would ONE giant be out of the mountains and visiting the road? They're almost never found alone or out this far. Either way though, we have to track it down and find out. If it keeps heading north it'll eventually hit Jonestown. How old are the tracks?"

The scout nods. "Yeah, it would be bad if it made it to Jonestown, there's nothing there to defend against it. I don't think the tracks are more than an hour old."

Kiera turns to the group. "Well, how about it then? It'll be just like old times... old times as in yesterday." She winks. "The group can keep moving while we track this thing down, dispatch it, and catch up with them at the next guard post tonight. Something is clearly wrong with this giant, and it's bashing its way through the woods. We can probably catch it in no time at all."

Assuming the group is going, I need to know what you're going to prepare and how you're going to travel, and anything else you want to add. You wont be able to take horses through the woods, so those of you who are mounted should make arrangements.

Ilhares
2007-10-24, 12:11 PM
Cilene

"Well, I'm no fan of the giant-kin, that's for sure. If one of your militia can be troubled to keep watch over my horse, I'm definitely in. Any tips, other than 'take out it's feet so it can't walk' would be well received."

demonllama
2007-10-24, 02:08 PM
Ruhidr

Adjusting his pack, Ruhidr says, "Well, I'm ready to go as is. Just point the way, an' we can get to the bottom of this."

Sirrion
2007-10-24, 03:53 PM
Torkai

"A giant? Hmm, might be interesting to see one. Count me in! With that, Torkai pulls his bow out, strings it and checks his quiver to make sure his arrows are loose and within reach.

Probably don't want to try to get close enough to use my daggers on this one...

SandDemon
2007-10-24, 07:27 PM
Durgrin

"Heh, giants - been awhil' since I subdood one of them. Let's head on out and catch us one!" Looking jovial at the mention of some action, Durgrin gets ready to head out.

Once we head in and can start spotting around for the giant, I'll use my Eyes of Avoral spell for looking around (+8 spot)

Noldruk
2007-10-24, 07:43 PM
Kellin

Winking at Kiera, Kellin says with a grin, 'You know I'm all for it.. Any chance this thing's just drunk?'. Shrugging, he adds, 'Whenever the rest of you are ready, let's not waste daylight catching this thing..' Spreading his hands, he utters the incantation for Mage Armor, reinforcing his body for the coming hours.

Berand
2007-10-24, 10:12 PM
Round 45

The group sets out with Coignar "volunteered" to scout in the front. Durgrin casts a spell to help him stay sharp, and everyone remains on their toes. As you walk along, following the clearly-visible trail through the woods, Kiera looks thoughtful.

"I must admit I know very little about giants. They rarely come out of Batterstone Mountain, and rarely have any contact with humans. We know they're there, because they've been sighted by various hunters and scouts, but they usually disappear in to the rocky wilderness as soon as they realize humans are about. Maybe they're shy." She chuckles at the thought of a shy giant.

Less than two hours in, all your alertness pays off. Because you know, giants are very stealthy. In this case Coignar motions for silence, and points through the trees up ahead. You hear the sound of running water, perhaps a small stream. It looks like there's a clearing up ahead - at least it looks that way through the tree line. The group inches forward slowly, eyes locked on the clearing, watching for movement. The trail bends to the left a bit, leaving a relatively thin screen of trees between you and the clearing. Everyone stops and looks for any sign of danger.

It's a nice little clearing from what you can see, covered in a blanket of fresh spring wildflowers and tall grass. Cattails rise up around a little creek less then 100 feet away which gurgles as it flows around some large rocks, dropping over miniature waterfalls as it winds its way south. There is one particularly huge stone next to the stream.

Durgrin rubs his magically-enhanced eyes for a second, and blinks a few times. Maybe... maybe that's not a rock...

A massive sighing sound suddenly fills the clearing, as the huge boulder shifts about. It is now clearly a massive humanoid figure, well over 12 feet tall. It has gray, rocky-looking skin and a gaunt appearance. At least gaunt relative to its size. You guess it easily weighs a ton. The creature is sitting on a rock right now, holding another rock in its hands and staring at it. Though no blood is present, it appears to be wounded judging by the long gash down its back. It sighs again, with the sound of rocks grating together. If it were human, you would swear it was sad.

It hasn't noticed you yet, even with the dwarves clanking along.

Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/Giant.png

demonllama
2007-10-24, 10:37 PM
Ruhidr

Gesturing as quietly as he can in 50lbs of armor, Ruhidr motions for the others to remain where they are before creeping ever so slightly forward. Briefly closing his eyes, he mouths a silent prayer before opening them again to see what Kiri-Jolith will reveal to his eyes.

So... Detect Evil. I get close enough to use it (should only need to move a single space, I think). If I detect the presence of evil, I'm going to stay up to 3 rounds to make sure that creature is what I'm detecting as evil. After that, I'll report back to the group; the Captain in particular. If, after the first round, I detect no evil... I'll report straight back to the Captain.

This is all assuming, of course, that nothing happens in the meantime :P I reserve the right to post again in case anything happens that would interrupt or make this process fruitless ;) Just trying to be efficient.

EDIT: Okay, so, this is the only change I'm adding (this EDIT note), so... here's the new info. If I'm still within the trees/cover, as I would be according to the map, I can keep concentrating on the ... thing, trying to determine if it's evil. If Ruhidr could roll his eyes without breaking his concentration, he certainly would. And then he'd find a tavern, get a tankard, and throw the tankard at Cilene. Sorry, Mags :P If Ruhidr's NOT within the tree cover, he tries to look as casual and friendly as possible while focusing on the Big Stone Biped.

Ilhares
2007-10-24, 10:39 PM
Cilene

Weighing the two most obvious options, Cilene decides to embrace the mantra of "Making ones self the primary target".

She looks ahead, shrugs at the others, then bolts off towards the giant, calling out to it, "You look like you've seen better days! Could you use some aid?"

What's that you say? Diplomacy? Of course! We know how charming Cilene is.

Spot: [roll1]

Gotta keep the eyes peeled, maybe it's got something stuck in it's back. Maybe he's just mean - or a giant monk who flogged itself. Who knows?

Noldruk
2007-10-24, 11:30 PM
Kellin

Groaning at Cilene's disappearance, Kellin charges out of the woodline toward the giant, also. Waving back to the others so as they do not follow, he grumbles only slightly to himself. Walking towards the thing, he says as casually as possible, 'Don't mind her, she's got a tongue like last week's ale! I'll admit, though.. you don't look happy. What say your troubles?'

I wanna get to about 35 feet from him.
Diplomacy: Yea - I'll work extra hard to fix it - [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
After speaking, I'd like to utter the spell 'Charm Person' at the thing.

tehsnarf
2007-10-25, 06:00 AM
Coignar

Coignar grumbles, mostly to himself but occasionally loud enough for those near him to hear. He very clearly dislikes the idea of his two companions trying to "cheer" up the giant, but stopping them doesn't seem to be on the forefront of his plan. He quickly scans the tree line, looking for other individuals or beings nearby as well as perhaps a quick hidey-hole, making sure that they are in fact are the only ones alone in the surrounding area, and that he has a place to bolt to in case things get ugly.

A giant... seriously...*sigh*

Sirrion
2007-10-25, 07:50 AM
Torkai

Wincing at the boldness of his companions, Torkai fits an arrow to his bowstring and slips into the forest in front of them. Moving as quietly as he can while sticking to the shadows, he works his way to the right, keeping his eyes on the giant in case he makes any hostile actions.

Going to move slowly as far to the right as I can, while staying hidden (hopefully) in the trees. Rolling with a -2 penalty to move silently as that is what it was last time, but adjust it as you need.

Move silently with -2: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

Should be it for now...

Berand
2007-10-25, 09:30 AM
Round 46

Clearly missing Ruhidr's motion for silence, Cilene dashes forward a few feet and addresses the giant. Seeing her brash move and knowing just how caustic Cilene can come across even when she's being nice, Kellin jumps forward and dashes in to the clearing, distracting the giant with his own words until he gets in to range...

The giant's head snaps up as he hears Cilene and Kellin speak. He jumps warily to his feet, huge boulder in hand. Just then Kellin gets close enough and utters the words to a charm person spell. You see the giant grimace and blink a few times, then it relaxes.

"Oohh, huumans," it booms in a deep, gravely voice. "Hello huumans. You is startle Gnaff." It drops its boulder and ambles toward Kellin, its footsteps thudding loudly through the clearing.

Ruhidr:

You don't detect any evil.

Noldruk
2007-10-25, 09:35 AM
Kellin

Smiling at his new friend, Kellin approaches almost as if they are long lost brothers. "Gnaff.. I am Kellin, and this here is Mags. We and a few of our friends were wondering what's brought you so far from the mountains alone? We've heard these are dangerous times.. Is something wrong?"

Berand
2007-10-25, 11:48 AM
Round 46a

Gnaff's massive face crinkles in to a frown. "Gnaff forced run from home. Stone giant stay in mountain, not bother others, but others come. Gnaff think many his kin dead, maybe hide too. Gnaff come out of mountain, look for more, but only find huuman road, turn 'round go back." He lets out another rumbling sigh.

SandDemon
2007-10-25, 11:58 AM
Durgrin

"Who killed um, Gnaff?" chimes in Durgrin, as he walks into the group talking with the giant.

demonllama
2007-10-25, 12:53 PM
Ruhidr

Looking around at the others with a carefully bland expression, Ruhidr walks forward to stand near the rest of the group and saying nothing.

Taking that poor thing's mind wasn't necessary, even if it did help. Well, maybe it was necessary after Mags tried to sweet talk it.

Berand
2007-10-25, 01:03 PM
Round 46b

Gnaff looks up and frowns, but apparently decides the two approaching dwarves are okay.

He says something in a rumbling language none of you understand. He looks up and realizes the word means nothing in common. "Um, little not-huumans." He gestures at all of you, then rubs one hand along his forearm. "Maybe like yous, but with scales like lizard. They were many, came at night. Gnaff kill some, but had run. Some had magic too." He lets out yet another rumbling sigh.

demonllama
2007-10-25, 01:40 PM
Ruhidr

Ruhidr perks up, "Scaled men, yer saying? Well now, that does sound interesting."

Allowing his face to break into a friendly smile, Ruhidr nods affably at Gnaff and asks him if he remembers anything else about the scaled men.

Okay, leveraging my vast Dragon database here. If I'm at all familiar with dragons, I should be able to ask some leading questions, perhaps; help Gnaff narrow it down.

[roll0]

Berand
2007-10-25, 02:00 PM
Round 46c

Gnaff scrunches up his face, apparently thinking. "It were hard to tell, thems all do magic sorts of things. Were dark an' too chaotic. Most of thems had armor and swords or axes. There were many." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "Maybe more then Gnaff can see trees from here." The giant frowns, clearly hesitant to talk about it anymore.

You turn around and look where Gnaff's sight is directed. You see the entire forest.

"Gnaff should keep go to mountain, find kin. Gnaff like little huumans, you no come, is too dangerous. Maybe Gnaff find again some day."

Ruhidr:

He hasn't given you enough information to go on. Partially because details you would consider important are below the giant's notice. To him, everything looks little. It's like you trying to describe a rodent you saw. Unless you're an expert, your description probably wouldn't be very accurate. Whereas if you were describing another human you saw, you could probably easily rattle off defining attributes like skin and hair color, size, and other details.

You're also not sure what magic he is talking about, since he describes them as having swords and axes. What he has said fits any number of dragon-kin and wyvern-spawn that you know of, along with lizardmen.

Also, note that the poor guy's intelligence is only 10, and it was during combat in the dark. :)

For the Group:

You spent just over 2 hours getting to this point, which places you probably at least 6 hours behind the group, considering they move slower then you do because of their size. Nightfall should come in about 5-6 hours, which means if you hurry you might make the next guard tower by dark.

Ilhares
2007-10-25, 02:10 PM
Cilene

Looking (and possibly pointing) at Ruhidr, Cilene says, "I've got a bad feeling about whatever you might be thinking right now. That aside.. do we write this off, or risk a peek and wind up hoofing it to the castle well behind everyone else?"

demonllama
2007-10-25, 02:44 PM
Ruhidr

Glancing briefly over where Kiera is still standing, Ruhidr frowns thoughtfully (though very pointedly not at the highly-stressed stone giant), "There's a chance these.. things're dragon-kin. Even if they're not bein' such, they're still the ones as have managed to destroyed a group o' this one's kin, an' that's not to be takin' lightly."

Absently running one gauntleted thumb over Kiri-Jolith's holy symbol, he continues, "Unless we find a straggler or two, or mayhap a scouting party, we likely can't be doin' much to these things."

"An' we been tellin' the Captain we'd go t' the Castle. I'm thinkin' someone needs t' be scoutin' out these creatures before they do more harm, but I can't be decidin' that for all o' yers that it should be us instead o' being some o' the Knights' scouts."

SandDemon
2007-10-25, 02:54 PM
Durgrin

Frowning deeply, Durgrin ponders the mention of dragon-men and adds in his own two copper pieces. "Look, I knows ya guys are all n'curious about this but if the settlemen' o giants is gone, then we aien't nuffin but dead meat if we find 'um. I'm gonn' go to the castle, maybe warn mah kin and let the knights do what they gotta do." Turning to the group, he's looking for anyone else to go back with him. He seems pretty content on going by himself if necessary. "Maybe hav' the giant come with us also, they must have magi in castle to locate his kin and not hav'n him run around out here to die."

Rule number one from my father - "Don't suicide unless there's a big audience and it's glorious"

Berand
2007-10-25, 05:20 PM
Round 47

While you all deliberate, the giant turns around and ambles off in to the woods, absently smashing a few trees on the way. Kiera nods at what everyone seems to be saying.

"We should make all haste back to the group, and send some of the mounted scouts back to the castle this very night. This news can't wait until morning, Lord Tordinrak needs to know." She looks troubled. "They've been preparing for an invasion. I wonder if this is it."

"Anyway, that giant is huge like a rock, but he didn't seem quite as dumb as one. If his estimate of 'the entire forest' is even half right on the number of these invaders, it would be pure suicide to trek up to the mountains." With that she turns along with Durgrin and starts heading back to the road swiftly, waiting for everyone to follow.

-----

The shadows grow longer as the sun sinks below the horizon, leaving the group to walk in the dark. About twenty minutes after sunset, with the sky still glowing a faint pink hue, one of you spots a sign listing the outpost as a mile ahead. Everyone steps up the pace, eager to be back and spread warning.

A few minutes later, Kiera holds up her hand and silently motions for a stop. "Something is wrong," she says. As you tune your senses in, you feel it too. "Listen to how quiet it is. We should be able to see the camps fires by now too." She draws her sword and crouches low, creeping forward. It is indeed silent as you walk in to the camp. The rank scent of death is in the air, with flies buzzing about. The bugs work quickly.

Signs of battle are everywhere. Dead horses, dead men, and smashed stuff.

Need to know what you do and what you look for. Roll your spot checks just in case.

SandDemon
2007-10-25, 06:16 PM
Durgrin

Grumbling at the sight of pure death, Durgrin keeps his cool as he scans for anything that might stand out - non-issue Knight weapons, dead bodies of non-humans, or anything to give an idea of what happened.

Spot:[roll0]

Noldruk
2007-10-25, 07:04 PM
Kellin

Peering around the area, Kellin searches for "other" signs. Uttering the words for 'Detect Magic', he continues his investigation of the camp.

Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]

Sirrion
2007-10-25, 09:06 PM
Torkai

Fitting an arrow to his bow, Torkai scans about for a good place to take cover behind. As he moves quietly towards cover, he scans about him looking for anything out of the ordinary or dangerous.

Going to step into the woods if close enough, or hide behind anything that is near. If nothing, then I'm just going to ready my bow and look about.

Move silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Ilhares
2007-10-25, 10:04 PM
Cilene

What do you do when you come upon a camp that should have been friendly and safe, yet find only death awaiting?

Blend In, Dumbass.

She's no master, but the force that did this can't be that far ahead of them, not as this party worked to gain ground. Slip into the shadows, do not make ones self a target this time.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Listen: [roll3]

Look for tracks, obvious signs of weaponry, that kind of thing.

demonllama
2007-10-25, 11:23 PM
Ruhidr

"Sands take me", Ruhidr hisses between clenched teeth. "Kiri-Jolith guide and protect these poor souls."

Drawing his waraxe as a precaution, Ruhidr begins to search around, looking in particular for any signs that would indicate the scaled men the giant mentioned.

Sorry for the delay guys, I was making my sister her birthday cake... Italian Cream Cake, from scratch. Came out fantastic, if I do say so myself. And so did she, and so did her boyfriend, so... it must be true.

Anyhow, on with the rolls. In general, I'm just performing general searching, but I'm going to be biased toward what I'm looking for:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

And, again, in case it's necessary:
[roll3]

Also, using Detect Evil as I search. So, basically using that to help look for evidence, and perhaps finding whether there is a residue of evil or something.

EDIT: Ugh. Too bad I appear to have put my helmet on backwards =(

tehsnarf
2007-10-26, 06:14 AM
Coignar

Nothing's ever, ever easy, is it.

Looking around, Coignar quickly decides that being in the open, surrounded by corpses of both man and animal, that it probably wouldn't be the best of ideas to be easily recognized, and begins scanning for a good place to blend in.

Hide : [roll0]
Move Silently : [roll1]

Spot : [roll2]
... for anything that doesn't seem to belong to the corpses, ie: weapons/armor/bodies ... and (assuming this is the party we showed up with?) my horse and gear
Listen : [roll3]
... for anything trying to sneak up on us ...

Berand
2007-10-26, 09:26 AM
Round 48

The scene becomes no less grim as you search. Kiera, Torkai, Cilene and Coignar take the perimeter, blending in and watching for signs of danger between their searching. Durgrin, Ruhidr and Kellin head straight in to the center.

After a few minutes of searching, everyone finds roughly the same things. Dead men from your party lie scattered about, obviously surprised. Some have weapons in hand, others died without fighting. The causes of death are fairly typical from what you can see. Rent armor, smashed helmets, etc. Kellin mentions that he doesn't see anything magical laying about. The only thing that is strange, is that you don't see any dead enemies amongst them, despite the fact that the Engothians obviously managed to put up some fight.

A few minutes in to the search, the group is startled to hear Ruhidr let out a dwarven oath. Everyone heads over to him to see what caused the outburst, finding him standing over four dead Knights, recognizable as Lieutenant Tomsad and apparently three of his Knights of the Sword, where they were apparently fighting back-to-back. Ruhidr points at one of the Knights of the Sword. "We've got problems lads. Look closely."

Everyone leans in, and gasps in surprise. One of the Knights of the Sword looks exactly like one of the others. The two dead bodies are almost a mirror image of each other. "There were only three Knights fighting here." He points to the mirror-image body. "That one is a Sivak."

"We've got Draconians. That's why there aren't any enemy bodies to be seen." He kneels down and picks up a pile of dust off the ground. "Baaz. When you kill them they turn to stone, then crumble to dust a short time later. If you're not quick your weapon can get stuck in them too. Baaz are disorganized footsoldiers. The Sivak there was probably a leader. When you kill one, they take on a death-shape and look like their killer for a few days, before they crumble too."

Looking around now, you can clearly see piles of dust all throughout the encampment, particularly around where Lieutenant Tomsad and his Knights died, where the dust is so thick the piles mend together in a ring. They put up quite a fight.

Kiera speaks up, never taking her eyes off the dead Knights. "We have to move, and fast. It looked like some horses may have taken off running up the road in the direction we need to go, but they're too far away to rely on finding, so we'll have to walk. Whatever killed this group can't be more then a few hours away, it's not safe for us to be here another minute. Judging by the tracks, they headed off in to the woods and not up the road, which means we might still be able to make the castle. Let's wrap this up and move." She looks around, waiting for everyone to finish whatever they need to do. The sense of urgency in the air is nearly palpable.

SandDemon
2007-10-26, 11:19 AM
Durgrin

"Head out then, get movin'!" Durgrin leads the way out, his voice changing back to being the commander style he's accustomed to in dire times. On his way out, he's going to look around for the dwarves he spoke with earlier - and mummer a prayer to Reorx if he sees them dead.

demonllama
2007-10-26, 12:33 PM
Ruhidr

"We do not want to be caught by those draconians; I suggest we move." So saying, Ruhidr bows his head for a brief moment of silent prayer before saying softly, "May your souls never lack shade nor water."

Looking to Kiera, he nods sharply to indicate his readiness to depart, intensity gleaming in his eyes, "If the Knights face this, Captain, I would fail in the calling given me by Kiri-Jolith if I did not join them to do what I can. I am ready, if yer Order'll have me."

Sands take me, but it galls me to just move on. Justice will come to those that did this, though, an' justice was never served by suicidal folly.

Ilhares
2007-10-26, 06:43 PM
Cilene

Looking around, Cilene finds herself in a bit of a state. Where's her horse? This will annoy her greatly, reducing her overflowing charm.

Let me clarify: Where's her horse? This will annoy her greatly, reducing her overflowing charm.

Did she find a carcass? Did they find roughly enough people to account for the whole party, or is it likely some got on those horses and ran for it? There were a lot of militia, she's not expecting steadfast military discipline or Knight-like heroism from the lot.

Search: [roll0]

If she finds any of her stuff, she'll take it. If there's no sign of her horse and belongings, she'll wait until they reach the castle to make the proper notifications - she knows who she left it with.

Noldruk
2007-10-26, 09:51 PM
Kellin

Kellin looks at the others, particularly the two who lost their horses and sighs, 'We don't have time to find the corpses of your horses or the things within your bags.. I'm sorry, but we must go..' and moves to stand next to Kiera with the others.

Berand
2007-10-27, 09:15 AM
Round 49

Cilene:

There are 50+ dead bodies, scattered all over from the course of battle. There are probably 20+ dead horses as well, again all scattered around. And it's dark. You would have to spend a significant period of time searching to find them.

The group quickly strikes out on the road to the castle. It's not a particular hardship for Cilene who only sleeps a few hours per night anyway, but the rest of you are exhausted. A few hours past the battle scene, grazing in grass at the side of the road, you find :

1 = Cilene's horse
2 = Coignar's horse
3 = Random packhorse
4 = Random warhorse
5 = Two horses, roll twice

[roll0]

(In case you get a 5)
[roll1]
[roll2]

Finally around mid-morning, exhausted from your long non-stop haul, the village before Castle Seraphim comes in to view, with the silhouette of the Castle itself perched on against the horizon. You can hear the crashing surf and smell the sea air. You immediately notice the throngs of people moving from the small village up in to the castle, many laden with stuff.

Kiera shields her eyes from the sun as she squints. "They must already know, they're evacuating the village. Well, come on then, we're almost there. I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to get my report filed and get some rest."

You quickly reach the village. It's small, more of an over-flowing of people from inside the castle when they ran out of room. You hate to see how crowded it's going to be inside now that everyone is packed in. Many of the villagers, upon seeing Kiera in her armor, come up and grab on to her cloak and kiss it, whispering blessings or thanks.

The castle itself lies about half a mile beyond the village, since Kiera explains the castle's regulations don't allow anyone to build structures or settle any closer to the walls then that. There are a cluster of Knights at the gate, talking with everyone coming in and taking down names on a tally. Seeing Kiera, the line easily parts to let her by.

The guard in charge, a Sergeant, turns toward Kiera and immediately salutes. "Greetings Captain. Where are you coming from?" He turns toward the rest of you. "And who are your companions?"

tehsnarf
2007-10-27, 03:52 PM
Coignar

Stifling a uncontrollable yawn that that brings tears to his eyes anyway, Coignar eventually recovers and introduces himself under his assumed name.

"I'm William, and I'll not impose on my companions and allow them to introduce themselves. Call me crass and impolite, but I see that you're preparing for war... and personally, I'm not much of a fan of combat on little to no sleep. I'm not much of a fan of fighting monsters that turn to dust, either, for that matter, so anything you know that would be beneficial to taking these bastards out, I for one would love for you to speak up so I can get some much needed rest and prepare accordingly..." Concluding his speech, Coignar yawns yet again, this time, not bothering to cover it, and waits patiently for a response, trying his best not to doze off while still standing.

What I wouldn't give for a cold drink, some hot food, and something comfortable to sleep on right now. My left foot for an inn!

Ilhares
2007-10-27, 04:26 PM
Cilene

Who are we? We're the people that are going to save your a.. well, no, we're probably not, are we? Even so, at least my horse made it. I hate having to replace them more than twice a year.

Nodding at William's statement, Cilene slaps a hand on his shoulder. "Call me Mags if you must, and William here is right. We're a bit hungry, a lot tired, and more than just a bit concerned. Not necessarily all in that order. The good captain here was kind enough to avoid dying in our company, if you'd get the healers to tend to her, I do believe one of the dwarves with us has documents for your commander's eyes to explain the rest of it."

Noldruk
2007-10-27, 04:35 PM
Kellin

Stepping forward and extending his hand, Kellin introduces himself. 'I am Kellin, Sergeant, and though we ARE tired, he says, pausing to look at Coignar, 'I, atleast, will help in any way you need before rest. I am talented in the magical arts and can still do a few things before sleep is required...'

SandDemon
2007-10-27, 06:42 PM
Durgrin

"Name's Durgrin, Forger o' Reorx - tired as can be, chased a giant and our troop was killed by draconians....Captain can explain, needin' mah rest." Durgrin slowly rests against a wall, waiting to find somewhere to sleep.

demonllama
2007-10-27, 11:28 PM
Ruhidr

Nodding wearily at the Sergeant, Ruhidr steps forward and says, "Greetings, Sergeant. I'm Ruhidr, paladin of Kiri-Jolith with a special... focus, yer might say, dealing with dragonkind. Captain Torblood has the details of what we saw, but I'd be happy to add my thoughts as well."

"As mentioned, I've some papers here from Sir Rostham to show to your commanders, by way of introduction. I'm not familiar with the Castle itself, but if I can help in any way, let me know." Chuckling to himself before continuing, "But, of course, if yer don't have need of my just now, a bit of rest wouldn't go amiss."

Berand
2007-10-28, 04:26 PM
Round 50

The guard blinks a few times. "Er what? What's a draconian?" he says, at which point Kiera steps in.

"I'm Captain Kiera Torblood, soldier, previously in charge of the 11th Division in Engoth City, until I was summoned back to the court. We were with two squads from the main land and a few squads of militia when we were ambushed at the west guardpost. We were the only survivors, and we traveled all night to get here. We need to deliver our report as soon as possible, preferably to Lord Tordinrak himself."

The Knight nods. "I'll send word right away." He motions to one of his comrades, who sprints off toward the inner keep. "Although you may not be the only survivors, there were two others who managed to hobble in less than an hour ahead of you. They looked wounded, but I believe they went straight in to see Lord Tordinrak. They might have been from your group."

Kiera seems heartened that others might have survived the ambush. The guard asks you to come with him and walks you through the castle yard toward the keep. There is an entire city of shacks and tents set up for the villagers, along with some regular housing units, a smithy, an inn, some barracks, warehouses, and a few other unidentified buildings. As you round the corner near the Keep, you see a huge courtyard. In the center of it is an incredibly bizarre sight. You think it might be a ship, probably less than 100 feet long. It's standing in the center of a grassy lawn, and looks like an insect. There are guards stationed around it, keeping anyone from getting close.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/strangeship.png

The guard sees you all looking at it, even Kiera seems amazed. "One of Lord Tordinrak's new ships. It apparently arrived in the night a few weeks ago, no one saw how it got here. It was just there the next morning, and under heavy guard the entire time. Magical I guess." He shrugs, clearly knowing nothing else about it.

Another man is waiting for you at the gates to the keep, whom Kiera smiles at and salutes as you approach. "Commander Evergrast, it's good to see you again. All is well?" The other Knight, middle-aged with a little bit of gray in his hair, wearing the armor of a Knight of the Rose, smiles back and returns the salute. "Good to see you again as well, Captain Torblood. You've been busy I see. Lord Tordinrak is waiting, and very much wants to hear your report. We all feared you dead when news arrived." He motions for you to go through the huge double-doors straight ahead in to the audience room.

The audience room is large, with some very grand trappings from the early days of the Knighthood, as befitting the orders ancestral home. The man at the head of the room in the large throne-like chair immediately commands your attention. He's huge, nearly giant-sized. His hair has light flecks of gray in it, with piercing brown eyes. He wears no armor at the moment, instead dressed in a simple tunic with a rose engraved in the center. Another, more normal-sized Knight of the Rose is sitting next to him with the knots of a General on his shoulder. Next to him is a slender elf in wizards robes, followed by another man in the robes of a High Priest of Paladine. Sitting in regular chairs before the four men are two others, both you vaguely recognize. One is a Knight of the Sword, the other is a militaman. Both are bandaged up. Everyone rises as you enter, and the huge man motions the party to another set of chairs. You quickly realize you're standing before one of the five most powerful people in the entire kingdom of Engoth.

"Welcome back, Captain. We're glad to see you and your companions alive. I don't believe we've met," he says, addressing the group, "but I've heard you served well at the mines, and now here you are again. I am Lord Tordinrak, and be welcome to my castle. We were just hearing about the ambush from these two, and are eager to hear your part."

Ilhares
2007-10-28, 07:11 PM
Cilene

In what appears to be a staggering act of self control, Cilene opens her mouth as if to speak, them promptly closes it, looking to the others to say something.

I don't think I can properly spell out how deep it's gotten here.

demonllama
2007-10-28, 10:03 PM
Ruhidr

Stepping forward a single step, Ruhidr leans over and bows as his full plate-mail will allow. Straightening, he begins, "Hail, Lord Tordinrak. It seems yers heard a bit of us, but of the two dwarves I'm Ruhidr."

Assuming Detect Evil has no noticeable indicators, and I believe there aren't, I'm going to use it on the two survivors. This is, of course, given the run-in with the draconians, Ruhidr's pretty highly on edge. Given that they were involved in the fight, one way or another, he's... concerned.

Yes, he's intentionally putting this before he begins the tale, so he has the entire length of the report to get his reading.

Glancing aside at the two survivors, he continues, "I'm not sure what these two have reported, but I'll tell my part." So saying, he widens his stance ever so slightly into something vaguely resembling "at rest" before he begins his report.

"On the way here, one of yer scouts found the tracks of a giant that wasn't behavin' quite right. From what the Captain says, they don't usually leave their lands, an' even they don't usually make the mess this one was. The five of us an' the Captain went to track the giant while the rest of the column was sent ahead. After we found where it was resting, we saw it was wounded an' made to talk with him."

Anyone perceptive enough, or anyone who was getting to know him better, would detect a well-hidden, yet rather frosty hint of a tone at that last bit.

Someone who noticed would also likely notice it was in reference to the "made to talk with him" part that caused the frost.

"We talked to'm, an' found out nearly his entire kin were overrun by 'scaled men'. He wasn't clear on any details, but he did think their numbers were greater than the trees in the forest."

Ruhidr's eyes narrow slightly as he frowns, "Though even if he were only half right, that's being some cause for worry, given what we came to next. After gettin' what we could from the giant, we made our way to the next camp site, only t' find everyone appeared t' be dead."

His voice rising a bit, a bit of his home accent works its way back in, "Yer lookin' at draconians, Lord Tordinrak." He shakes his head, as if in denial or disbelief, "I know, I know... they're jus' legend to me, too. Or were. I found signs o' both Sivaks an' Baaz, mi'Lord. Draconians, if yer can be believe'n it! I make a study o' wyrmkind in th' various forms, mi'Lord, an' nobody I've ever learned from called these other than myths or legend. Here, though, we did see us a Sivak, takin' the dead form o' a Knight, an' we saw th' piles o' dust that th' Baaz'd be leavin' behind."

Ruhidr crashes one gauntleted fist into the front of his shield, drawing attention to the holy symbol of Kiri-Jolith worked there. "The Sword o' Justice strike me down Himself, mi'Lord, an' deny me shade fer all time, but it's true."

Berand
2007-10-28, 10:53 PM
Round 50a

Lord Tordinrak nods grimly. "I've heard rumors of draconians. And believe it or not good dwarf I've fought them myself, though very far away and quite a long time ago. We had feared something like this happening..." He stops talking and muses for a moment, looking thoughtful.

Ruhidr:

You most definitely sense an evil aura from the two.

demonllama
2007-10-29, 01:46 PM
Ruhidr

Stepping back into his place, Ruhidr leans over to Durgrin and whispers something into his ear. That done, he turns to Kiera, and simply says, "Trouble beat us here, lass." before nodding his head slightly in the direction of the other ... guests.

OOC for Durgrin:

Being Durgrin's the only one I could whisper to (dwarves, weee), I'm simply letting him know what I saw and that he should set up a Ready action in case the two guests do anything.

Stepping back forward, Ruhidr raises one index finger in a just-one-more-thing gesture, "Strange thing, Lord Tordinrak, but yer treatment o' some guests is different from me own."

Turning to face the other two guests, he draws his waraxe and points it at them, "No disrespect, mi'Lord Tordinrak, but after seein' what myths an' legends did to our band, I must ask why I'm sensin' a taint from th' two before yerself, the only two t' "survive" the attack."

Ilhares
2007-10-29, 02:09 PM
Cilene

Upon hearing Ruhidr's confirmation of her concerns to Lord Tordinwhatsit, Cilene glares at the two survivors while wrapping her hand firmly around her mace.

"Cilene, you must be maniacally paranoid." .. Right, because they're never out to get me. Blast it.

"I think perhaps those more inclined to Inquisitor-ship should 'have some words' with these survivors."

Noldruk
2007-10-29, 03:01 PM
Kellin

Stepping back at Ruhidr's declaration, Kellin readies himself for what's to come while moving in a place where we can see both survivors.

SandDemon
2007-10-29, 03:17 PM
Durgrin

Grumbling after the whisper, he nods in understanding and lifts his warhammer in mock preparation as his tongue awaits their move.

Oh come on, test my patience you bastards.

Ready Deific Vengeance on one of the survivors, should they attempt to move once they are ousted.

Sirrion
2007-10-29, 03:28 PM
Torkai

Catching the actions of his companions as they ready themselves for combat, Torkai lowers his hands to the hilts of two daggers and fixes the two "survivors" with a glare.

First sign of action, going to draw the daggers and move in for an attack.

Berand
2007-10-29, 03:44 PM
Round 51

Before anyone else can act, both of the survivors jump to their feet. The one closest to the throne takes one step and leaps through the air toward Lord Tordinrak. As he jumps, he twists and contorts through a rapid process, swelling and growing larger. Scales appear, along with wings and a longer snout. Armor morphs on to his skin, and a greatsword appears on his back. The entire process is over in a flash, leaving the huge scaled beast to crash in to Lord Tordinrak who is nearly the exact same size. The two of them spin about madly as they wrestle for an advantage, knocking over the throne.

The other one leaps to his feet and goes through a similar transformation, turning in to another dragon-like beast. As soon as he completes his shift he reaches in to a belt pouch for something.

Everyone was readying actions, including the two bad guys. Since you were all waiting to see what they did for your reactions, they got to finish their actions first once Ruhidr outed them, which was the trigger that they were readying their actions for. Now everyone needs to roll initiative and post their round. Note that you can't get a clean swing on the one engaged with Tordinrak, and definitely risk hitting him if you try.

Combat Map:

Tordinrak is the three purple dots, the two bad guys are labeled D1 and D2 for the three red dots. The NPCs with Tordinrak are blue dots, and the two guards flanking them and the two at the entrance to the throne room are marked by the little soldier icon.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/ThroneRoom.png

SandDemon
2007-10-29, 03:58 PM
Durgrin

"Last bloody time I stop tah think!" Lowering his head for a short moment, he raises his head to the sky pointing at the draconian fighting the Lord. In a loud commanding voice, he yells...

"REORX, punish these foul beings for their treachery and defiance of your Law!"

Cast Deific Vengeance for [roll1] damage. Will Save DC 16 for half.

demonllama
2007-10-29, 04:58 PM
Ruhidr

First of all:
[roll0]

Next, I'm not familiar with the rules of use-activation items, like the string of prayer beads. I've looked online a WHOLE lot, and the few things I found discussing the bead of karma seem to think it's a "not an action" item. So, that said, here goes. If our illustrious DM disagrees with that finding, simply ignore the part dealing with the bead. The difference is: with beads +2/+2 AR/DR, without beads +1/+1... either way, for 1 minute.

Finally, as a reminder (which I'll only bring up this time as it's the first fight):
+4 Dodge AC bonus against these guys
+1 Attack Roll
As a partial dragon-type, I do +1d6 extra on a successful hit, and they take +1d2 in retribution when they hit me. No idea if the retribution works only on successful hits or not.

A feverish look entering his eyes, Ruhidr spares the slightest moment of willpower for his bead of karma before he raises his waraxe and shouts, "Kiri-Jolith, grant me your favor!"

Then snarling in a guttural language full of harsh sounds and sibilant hisses, Ruhidr steps toward the draconian not attacking Lord Tordinrak.

"Justice comes for you, foul creature!"

I understand that Dragon is different from Draconic, but... Dragon is where Draconic came from. Ruhidr's hoping that the draconian is familiar enough with it to be thrown slightly off balance. Not sure how you'd codify that :P Maybe a slight hesitation in Initiative? Even if you totally ignore the hope I have for this, I'd do it anyway; just looks/sounds cool in my head ;)

Sirrion
2007-10-29, 05:06 PM
Torkai

"Holy ****..." Torkai mutters quietly before snapping back to awareness. Leaving the Lord to battle his foe, Torkai draws both daggers and darts in to battle the second draconian.

Primary damage: [roll2]

Secondary attack: [roll3]
Secondary damage: [roll4]

No sneak attacks this round sadly.

Noldruk
2007-10-29, 09:11 PM
Kellin

Moving towards the draconian attacking the Lord, Kellin prepares to unleash a shocking grasp.

Alright, basically going to hold my action until those two stop wrestling on the ground and I can flank D1. (even if it's not this round) When it does happen, though, if necessary:
To Touch: [roll1] (Add another three if they happen to have alot of metal, are wearing metal, or generally conduct electricity well)
Unleash my electrifying personality: [roll2]

tehsnarf
2007-10-30, 05:58 AM
Coignar

When you have a bad day, you have a bad day. When I have a bad day, I have an extremely horrible, terrible, hideous day. Of course I do...

Drawing his crossbow, Coignar quickly scans the layout of the sparring area and lets loose a bolt at the monster not attacking Tordinrak.

To Hit : [roll1]
Damage : [roll2]

Ilhares
2007-10-30, 06:30 AM
Cilene

Momentarily stunned by the massive creature's bold leap at Lord whatsisname, Cilene blinks and lashes out her empty hand towards the beast, blue and red energy momentarily swirling in the palm of her hand before firing out in the form of a long blade.

Attack (Thrown Mind Blade): [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Berand
2007-10-30, 09:37 AM
Round 52

Chaos erupts as the creatures transform and attack, causing people to leap to their feet and send chairs flying. Ruhidr, already acting on his suspicions, steps forward and calls out to Kiri-Jolith.

The beast not engaged with Lord Tordinrak pulls a small wooden box out of his belt pouch. As he is fumbling with it Torkai seizes on the opportunity and dashes forward to the beast, stabbing with daggers that appear almost instantly in his hands. One of them connects solidly on the beasts shoulder, drawing blood. The injury causes him to drop the small box. When it hits the ground the lid pops off and goes skittering a few feet away. Faint swirling mists appear around the box, then rapidly dissipate in little foggy streaks. Nothing else happens that you can tell. A split second later a bolt from Coignar's crossbow goes whizzing by the beasts head, smashing in to the wall beyond.

Meanwhile Cilene lets fly with her mindblade at the beast engaged with Lord Tordinrak. Narrowinly missing Tordinrak, she manages to cut the beast squarely on one shoulder as the two wrestle frantically. Kellin also approaches the two grapplers, spell at the ready, but can't find an opening to get in on.

Durgrin raises his hammer to the sky and yells out to Reorx, pointing at the dragon-man fighting Tordinrak. The beast glows briefly, but does not appear particularly phased.

Gaining their feet, the other Knights start to move toward Lord Tordinrak to help. Before they can reach him however, he suddenly lashes out and grabs the draconian by the neck with one hand. With a massive heave, he lifts the beast straight off the ground and slams it in to the wall behind the throne. He holds it pinned there against the wall, a good two feet off the ground, with only his one hand. He squeezes, and the draconian's eyes bulge. The beast lashes out in a panic with both claws leaving bloody gashes on Lord Tordinrak's arm, but the Lord continues to stare dispassionately as he holds his grip. The Knights all stop in surprise, no longer sure that he even needs their help.

No combat map update is really needed. Cilene, Coignar and Durgrin remained where they were, Torkai moved up to D2.

demonllama
2007-10-30, 09:55 AM
Ruhidr

Not sparing even a glance for the dropped box, Ruhidr steps in to the draconian, lips pulled back in something halfway between a grimace and a snarl.

[roll0] +2 Divine Favor, +1 racial bonus
[roll1] +2 Divine Favor
[roll2] +2d6 against dragons, 1d6 against partials

Ilhares
2007-10-30, 10:27 AM
Cilene

Clearly impressed with the ease at which the big guy lifted the beast off the ground, Cilene has no interest in getting in his way. With that in mind, she moves down to hit the other creature, and possibly get a look at what he dropped.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Power up the mace,

tehsnarf
2007-10-30, 01:14 PM
Coignar

Quickly reloading, Coignar aims at the same scaled monster and fires again.

To Hit : [roll1]

SandDemon
2007-10-30, 03:13 PM
Durgrin

Muttering at the lack of "umph" from Reorx and himself, Durgrin decides it's time to get dirty. Wading towards the lone draconian, he charges forward and swings his warhammer with deadly grace.

Charge Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Sirrion
2007-10-30, 03:40 PM
Torkai

Looking amazed at the fact that he managed to hit the dragon-like beast, Torkai moves fluidly into a feint before striking out with both daggers.

Yay, feint time (bluff check): [roll0]

Primary sneak damage (if feint): [roll3]

Secondary attack: [roll4]
Secondary damage: [roll5]
Secondary sneak damage (if feint): [roll6]

Should be it.

Sirrion
2007-10-30, 03:41 PM
Looks like I got a crit on second attack (19-20 threat). Let's see if it hits:
Crit to hit: [roll0]
Crit damage: [roll1]

Noldruk
2007-10-31, 06:50 AM
Kellin

Walking casually to the Lord, Kellin watches as he continues to choke the draconian. Concentrating inward for only a moment, he prepares his mind to cast another spell should one be needed.

Berand
2007-10-31, 09:10 AM
Round 53

Seeing Lord Tordinrak largely has things in hand, so to speak, the group focuses on the other beast. Torkai connects with another dagger, leaving a bleeding gash at a weak spot in the armor. Cilene charges in and misses with her mace, but her attack distracts the creature long enough for Durgrin to get in and smash some ribs with his warhammer.

Badly wounded, the beast leaps at Ruhidr frantically, attacking with both claws at the same time it tries to bite at his face and neck. Ruhidr gets his shield up to deflect the creatures face away, while his armor sends its claws skittering harmlessly off. A little shove puts the creature back on its heels, and Ruhidr brings his axe down on its head with an oath. The axe splits the dragon-man's helmet and crushes his skull, and the body immediately goes slack. Then, before your eyes, it twists and contorts just as it did to begin with. Only this time it ends up looking like Ruhidr lay there with his head split open.

Just then a little gurgle draws your attention back to Lord Tordinrak. The dragon-man he has pinned attempts one last feeble claw against the unnaturally huge human's arm. Just before its eyes roll back in its head, Lord Tordinrak leans in until he's face-to-face with it and snarls. The creature shudders and goes limp. A moment later it to twists and turns in to the shape of a dead Lord Tordinrak.

"Draconians." Spits Lord Tordinrak. "I hate these things, but we suspected they were coming, so we'll be ready." He turns toward the group, where he sees Cilene holding the small wooden box that the second draconian dropped. "Anyone have any idea what that is?"

Just then a distant scream is heard outside the keep. As everyone looks up, the scream is followed by shouting and some more screams. A few seconds later alarm bells begin sounding all over the castle.

If anyone with spellcraft trained wants to determine what the box is, go check it out and roll a DC 11 spellcraft check.

Otherwise post where you go next or what you look for. There are arrow slits you could look outside from, but they're probably too high for the dwarves. The door at the end of the hall leads in to a foyer, where there are stairs and the gate leading out of the keep in to the rest of the castle grounds.

demonllama
2007-10-31, 09:40 AM
Ruhidr

Pausing to grimace down at his own dead form lying before him, Ruhidr turns away, a little nonplussed. "Knowin' what they do, an' seein' yerself lying there like that is two different things." With a shake that rattles his armor like, well, a suit of armor being shaken, he seems to collect himself, and then pulls a rag out of his pack and wipes his axe clean before dropping the rag on top of the dead body with a disgusted sniff.

Hearing the sudden screams, he automatically shifts into a ready stance and looks over at the others, "I've not studied such things. If any o' yers have, see if yer can tell Lord Tordinrak, an' the rest of us, what that sand-cursed box is."

So saying, he kneels begins to search the bodies to find more mundane clues, or anything else of interest.

See the next post.

demonllama
2007-10-31, 09:44 AM
Ruhidr

Um... supplemental post:

[roll0]

Edit: Ugh, a 7? What is that, just barely good enough to even find the bodies on the floor? =(

SandDemon
2007-10-31, 09:51 AM
Durgrin

"Gimme tha box - I aien't sayin' I know draconian things, but I got an eye fer what it mah be." Durgin walks over and looks over the box carefully.

Let's pretend I paid attention in school, eh Reorx?

Spellcraft check: [roll0]

tehsnarf
2007-10-31, 10:12 AM
Coignar

Chuckling, Coignar asks for a chance to examine the box...

Spellcraft : [roll0]

Berand
2007-10-31, 10:33 AM
Round 53a

Cilene hands the box over to Durgrin, who just shakes his head. It doesn't look priestly or dwarven, and he has no idea what it is. Chuckling, Coignar takes a look at it with his trained wizard's eye. He examines it for a few moments.

"Hm. Oh, wow, okay. It's a very simple yet ingenious device. It has some modified version of the message spell stored inside. When it's opened, it sends out messages in some pre-programmed way. I'll have to study it more to figure out how to make it work, but... it's safe to say that when the lid came off, a bunch of others knew about it." With that he picks up the lid too and slips the whole thing in to his pocket.

Just then two more Knights from Lord Tordinrak's personal guard burst in to the throne room, weapons drawn. "My Lord! There are dragon-men in the castle grounds! A bunch of them appeared somehow amongst the villagers being escorted in, there's fighting going on throughout the grounds!"

Now sounds of men getting organized can be heard. Someone yells for archers to the battlements. Another voice yells for the Keep's gates to be barred. The sounds of battle can be heard from outside.

Lord Tordinrak jumps forward, pointing at two of the attendants. "Get my armor, quickly!" He points at the two who just came in. "You two, get the front gate closed and secure the walls. This could be the beginning of a full-on assault." As the attendants begin helping him strap on the most magnificent suit of armor you've ever seen, he points at his advisers, who are all on their feet. "You're all with me. Captain Torblood, gather together whoever else you can find in the keep. Leave a squad to hold the gates here, take the rest out in to the field and start roaming."

A couple of the Knights ask questions, and he continues to give out some more specific answers. Kiera walks over to all of you, looking grim. "Well, shall we?" Two other Knights from the keep flank her, weapons at the ready. Her sword in hand, she gestures toward the castle courtyard.

Just then Lord Tordinrak settles an unbelievable helm on his head that is studded with more gems then you've ever seen in one place, draws out two gleaming longswords, and takes off at a run for the exit with his advisers in tow.

Castle Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/CastleSeraphim.png

Coignar, add the magical item "the box of messaging" to your inventory. By casting a message spell on the box, you can select up to 50 people as recipients of the message by touching them with the box, then speak the words you want sent out, then slap the lid on. The next time the lid comes off, the message goes out to all the recipients you name as long as they're within 1/2 mile of the box.

Noldruk
2007-10-31, 07:00 PM
Kellin

Kellin smiles once agains at Captain Kiera and nods his head. "I'm with you.. let's get this over with." With that, he covers his body with a spell of magical armor and stands by her side. Pausing for a moment, apparently to think, he then moves and utters the spell again, touching Coignar and Torkai.

You two get a +4 AC bonus for 5 hours.

demonllama
2007-10-31, 07:48 PM
Ruhidr

Ruhidr nods, grinning almost ... excitedly, as he looks over to Kiera, "I'm ready, then. Let's go kill us some draconians."

Not really much I can do to prepare :P Ready to go.

Sirrion
2007-10-31, 07:53 PM
Torkai

Debating between the use of his bow and his daggers, he decides that to trust his handy blades for now... Wiping the blood off on the nearby corpse, he turns to the Lord and with an elaborate bow, declares himself ready.

Ilhares
2007-10-31, 08:05 PM
Cilene

Nodding in agreement, Cilene just wraps her had around her mace tighter, lightly bouncing on the balls of her feet.

SandDemon
2007-10-31, 08:09 PM
Durgrin

"Let's give um Hell! Reorx, let the fire burn within!" Durgrin bows his head in prayer, with his hands outreached to his group. His hands begin to glow slightly and heat resonates from his body like that of a forge - Reorx's blessing is granted.

Cast Bless on the group and knights.

tehsnarf
2007-11-01, 08:19 AM
Coignar

Shivering as Kellin and Durgrin cast their spells, Coignar nods his thanks and examines his crossbow, looking for anything that may be wrong. Satisfied that it's as good as it will get, he says, "Alright, I think I'm ready. I'm not going to be pleased if I die in this battle, by the way. I want all of you to know that."

Let's do it.

Berand
2007-11-01, 09:01 AM
Round 54

Now prepared, the group draws their weapons and dashes out of the keep and in to the castle yard. There's chaos all around, with groups of Knights fighting sivak draconians alone, or also in groups where they managed to link up.

To the west, near the strange ship, you see Lord Tordinrak and his council fighting with four Sivaks. Judging by the five dead bodies on the ground resembling the party, you're pretty sure they have things well in hand.

To the south-west you see two other Knights engaged with a single Sivak, which they have handily flanked. Then straight to the south of you, rounding the back corner of the near-by Temple of Paladine, are three more Sivaks who are heading for you and the Keep gates.

Combat map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/castle1.png

Noldruk
2007-11-01, 09:12 AM
Kellin

Moving diagonally southeast from the group, Kellin situates himself in a better position. Wondering how these beasts do while fully engulfed in flame, Kellin sends a scorching ray of molten fire at the one nearest him!

How's my Aim?: [roll1]
How's their Health?: [roll2]

Ilhares
2007-11-01, 12:19 PM
Cilene

It doesn't take the abrasive woman long to make her decision. She turns to wink at Torkai and charges into the fray smiling.

Oh, this is always colorful.

Due south, the "lone" draconian of the trio on the east side, that's her target.

Empower the mace.
Charge +2/-2AC

Damage:[roll2]

Did I forget anything?

Sirrion
2007-11-01, 02:19 PM
Torkai

Grinning at Mags and following her lead, Torkai charges towards the draconians to the south.

Heading straight along the road to the one in the middle.
Charge +2/-2 AC

Secondary attack: [roll3]
Secondary damage: [roll4]

Should be it...

tehsnarf
2007-11-01, 03:00 PM
Coignar

"What in the Hells do you two think is so funny?!" Coignar screams after his two, in his opinion, suicidal, companions as they bolt away and lunge in to combat.

Taking steady aim at the far "western" beast of the same group they groupmates are running for, and shoots!

Approx 75 feet away, from what I count.

---SHOT 1---
Hit Roll : [roll1]
Damage Roll : [roll2]
---SHOT 2---
Hit Roll : [roll3]
Damage Roll : [roll4]

tehsnarf
2007-11-01, 03:02 PM
OOC: F'd that one ALL up. Correct damage rolls:

---SHOT 1---
Damage Roll : [roll0]
---SHOT 2---
Damage Roll : [roll1]

demonllama
2007-11-02, 09:28 AM
Ruhidr

Seeing the draconians ahead, Ruhidr reacts as a wyrmslayer already warmed up with one draconian should react; he charges straight at the center draconian.

Sorry for the delay, guys, but the rest of the weekend should have more steady connectivity.

Charging... AC 19 until next round
[roll0]
[roll1] +2 charge, +1 Bless, +1 against dragons/reptilians
[roll2] I'm pretty sure Divine Favor would have worn off. If not, add 2 to Attack and Damage rolls.

SandDemon
2007-11-02, 09:29 AM
Durgrin

"Well it be time tah get big and dirty! Reorx creates all as he sees!" With a single slam of his warhammer on the ground next to him, Durgrin pushes forth and grows an grows to a very large size.

Move 20' south then cast enlarge person (making me large and taking up 3 squares)

Berand
2007-11-02, 12:06 PM
Round 55

The group wastes no time, immediately taking the battle to the draconians to the south. Torkai and Cilene act first, running forward and catching a Sivak (D3) before it can react. Cilene's mace bounces ineffectively off the beasts armor, while Torkai manages to find two openings in the things half-plate, scoring solid hits. Over their shoulders suddenly flies two arrows from Coignar's crossbow, one flying high and the other finding a chink in the beasts chainmail. Roaring in response to its wounds, the beast swings its sword at Torkai, who dodges nimbly, then follows up with snapping jaws when Torkai gets too close. Fortunately Torkai is able to skip to the side at the last second, avoiding being bitten by those razor sharp teeth.

Leaving those two to their companion, the other two draconians dart forward and go after the dwarves, swinging huge greatswords. Durgrin just finishes casting his spell before they arrive, enlarging himself to massive size. Ruhidr is able to deflect the blow off his shield, but Durgrin, making a huge target now, takes a solid hit. Enraged by the presence of the foul dragon-men, Ruhidr swings his axe and connects solidly with the one before him (D1), slicing deep through the things scales. The wound sizzles and burns as the Dragonwrack takes its toll.

Seeing the draconians approach, Kellin steps off to one side to get a better angle, then lets a blast of flame fly from his fingertips. Unfortunately his aim is off probably due to exhaustion, and the flame doesn't burn anything besides grass.

Kiera and the two Knights with her, seeing Lord Tordinrak fighting near the strange insect-like ship, run that way to help with the mass of draconians around them. Two of the Knights in the Keep shoot at the nearby draconians out of arrow slits, but miss.

Damage Report:

Torkai wounds D3.
Coignar wounds D3.
Ruhidr wounds D1.
Durgrin takes 9 damage.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/castle2.png

Tordinrak is the three crowns, Durgrin is the three blue dots with the D in the middile until his enlarge wears off.

Note that while the draconians should probably take up three spaces due to their size, I'm only representing them as one icon. If it ever becomes an issue (like if a ton of people try to surround one) then we'll deal with it. It just looks much cleaner this way.

Notes:

Coignar: Now that Durgrin is enlarged and the draconians ran up, you don't have a shot on the far guy anymore without moving.

Kellin: Make sure you monitor how many spells you've used and have left, since the group hasn't slept.

Ruhidr: Don't forget to roll your Dragonwrack damage, then halve it because they're part dragon. If they hit you, I'll roll the damage.

Everyone: When the initial adrenalin wears off in a few rounds, expect to start having penalties imposed due to exhaustion. You guys marched all day, all night, got to the castle and had a fight, and are now in a huge battle. It's probably been around 24 hours since you slept.

From now on, everyone roll a spot check each round. If you make it, it means you keep enough presence of mind to be aware of your surroundings, whereupon I'll give you updates on events that are just outside your immediate field of view (the combat map). If you fail it, you're not aware of anything else besides what you can see.

Ilhares
2007-11-02, 12:43 PM
Cilene

Intent on her current foe, Cilene doesn't spare so much as a glance at where the arrows came from, she trusts her loyal friend won't be shooting her in the back. Letting the energy once again coalesce into her offhand, Cilene strikes out.

The beating continues.

OK, you're right, we are a bit ragged around the edges - but I'm stubborn. Cilene managed to ride her horse a bit at least. :smallbiggrin:

Whip out the mindblade (hooray, free draw!) and charge it.

Being blessed and now not the direct object of the draconian's affection, flanking bonus? I'll factor it in, subtract the 2 if you don't think this applies.

Attack (Mace): [roll1]
Damage (Mace) : [roll2]

Attack (Blade): [roll3]
Damage (Blade) : [roll4]

Noldruk
2007-11-02, 01:31 PM
Kellin

Grumbling in frustration before stifling a yawn, Kellin again moves south and east, keeping his eye on D2. Moving to a better position so as to not scorch the dwarf, he unleashes another blast at the draconian.

Let's get some luck going! (yeah, right)

To hit: [roll1]

demonllama
2007-11-02, 01:44 PM
Ruhidr

Galvanized by the damage he's caused to the draconian before him, Ruhidr manages to ignore his fatigue for just a while longer.

Firstly: [roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] And, of course, take half

tehsnarf
2007-11-02, 02:15 PM
Coignar

Reloading as he tiredly jogs in a western sort of direction, Coignar steadily takes aim and fires.

directly sw along the path, then beyond for a total of 30 feet, swing around and firing at the beastie Ruhidr's attacking.

SPOT! : [roll0]

Initiative : [roll1]
Hit Roll : [roll2] (+6 base, +1 bless, +1 point blank range)
Damage Roll : [roll3] (1d8 base, +1 magical, +1 point blank range)

SandDemon
2007-11-02, 04:43 PM
Durgrin

"Bastids, feel Reorx'x wrath!" Swinging his now massive warhammer down towards the draconian, Durgin let's loose a load intimidating roar.

Attack is [roll0] (+1 bless, -1 enlarge)
Damage roll [roll1]

If anyone attempts to run out of one of my threatened squares (10 feet around), I'll use my attacks of opportunity (two) to use Stand Still feat (aka they don't move). If my attacks land as if they were AoO, the DC is 10+damage or they don't move and their move action is used up.
Stand Still #1: [roll2] DC #1: [roll3]
Stand Still #2: [roll4] DC #2: [roll5]
I'll just starting add it in this format to later posts.

Also just realized I did not roll initiative...doh.

Sirrion
2007-11-02, 05:27 PM
Torkai

Making a quick feint, not paying to his surroundings, Torkai strikes at the draconian in front of him.

Hehe, let's see how the spot check goes:

AC back to normal now.
Feint: [roll1]

Primary attack: [roll2]
Primary damage: [roll3]
Primary sneak if bluffed: [roll4]

Secondary attack: [roll5]
Secondary damage: [roll6]
Secondary sneak if bluffed: [roll7]

Just gonna feint (as movement) and attack.

SandDemon
2007-11-02, 06:21 PM
Forgot.
Spot Check:[roll0] Shouldn't it be a Constitution check?

Berand
2007-11-02, 07:40 PM
Round 56

Cilene, annoyed at her miss last round, suddenly materializes her mindblade in one hand and swings with both weapons. The draconian parries her blade, but her mace crunches in to the side of his helmet, sending a couple of those sharp teeth flying out. Torkai attempts to seize on the opening, but is forced to dodge the huge greatsword coming down at the last minute and misses.

An arrow flies over Ruhidr's head, missing the draconian in front of him, but he takes no notice. In fact he doesn't notice much of anything, consumed as he is with rage. His axe again finds a home in the draconian's side, leaving another smoking wound. Roaring at this unexpected pain, which the thing has never felt nor even heard of before, it lashes out blindly with its sword. Ruhidr easily blocks the blow. This draconian is definitely starting to wear down now.

Durgrin, from his unusually huge perch as a giant dwarf, swings on equal footing with the Sivak before him. They both trade blows, neither landing a solid enough hit to count. Kellin however, who has moved further out to the side to get a shot around the huge dwarf, sends a jet of flame out that meets its target, burning the draconian on one side. Smoky wisps drift off the things scales now, but it doesn't seem overly hurt by it.

The guard from the keep continue to sling arrows from the arrow slits without connecting.

Coignar only:

While you're moving over to the west you catch sight of Lord Tordinrak, whose swords are on fire for some reason, cleave a Sivak in half with one blow. It's really quite disgusting, although it's the first time you've ever seen a cross-section cut-away of a creature while it is in the process of shapeshifting. The wizard in you finds it fascinating, at the same time you feel a little ill.

Durgrin only:

You get a second to scan your surroundings, your soldier's training telling you that it's vital you remain aware of the battlefield as well as your individual fight. You get the distinct impression that, while Knights and civilian refugees are dying, there aren't near enough Sivaks in the castle grounds to actually overcome the defenders. You wonder at the strategy behind this.

Everyone:

Two more draconians are running up from the south toward the Keep. And you.

You get one more round of adrenaline before you start potentially feeling the affects of exhaustion.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/castle3.png

Damage Report:

Kellin burns D2.
Ruhidr hits D1.

demonllama
2007-11-02, 07:59 PM
Ruhidr

Sensing victory within his grasp, Ruhidr continues his drive to visit severe bodily damage on the foul creature before him.

What can I say? Hate the ol' draconians.

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

If you'll let me have the action, I'd also like to see if I can't use Knowledge: Dragon to identify a ringleader or something.
[roll4]

If I can't do it this round, I'll definitely do it next round... and use this roll, I suppose.

Sirrion
2007-11-02, 08:10 PM
Torkai

Growling at the draconian, Torkai makes another feint and strike.

Spot check if needed: [roll0]

Bluff for feint: [roll1]

Primary sneak if bluffed: [roll4]

Secondary sneak if bluffed: [roll7]

Should do it...

Noldruk
2007-11-02, 09:07 PM
Kellin

Steeling his reserves, Kellin moves adjacent to D2, flanking him. Reaching out with his hands, he attempts to deliver a shocking grasp to the side of the draconian.

To Touch: [roll1] (Add 3 to that if he's wearing or has a decent amount of metal)
Electrical Damage!: [roll2]

Ilhares
2007-11-02, 09:29 PM
Cilene

Persistence or just plain stubborn? Doesn't matter. She keeps on swinging.

Why not, it's fun, right? No idea if these Sivak speak their own tongue or fall back on draconic, so I'll put in checks for both looking and listening.

Listen Check: [roll0]
Spot Check: [roll1]

(Mace)Attack : [roll2]
(Mace)Damage: [roll3]

(Blade)Attack : [roll4]
(Blade)Damage: [roll5]

SandDemon
2007-11-03, 12:54 PM
Durgrin

Furious with exhaustion, Durgrin lashes out once again with his warhammer without so much as a word.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
SS #1 [roll2] DC: [roll3]
SS #2 [roll4] DC: [roll5]

Let's see if I can roll something above a 3 for once.

Berand
2007-11-04, 12:51 AM
Round 57

Arrows continue to fly from the arrow slits in the keep, one of them finding a chink in a sivak's armor (D2). Coignar takes aim at another (D1), but misses.

Ruhidr snarls, lashing out with his axe, and leaving yet another smoking wound on the draconian's shoulder. The creature staggers and nearly drops to its knees, but with its own cry of rage it lunges for Ruhidr, bitting the dwarf's arm viciously.

Next to him Durgrin continues to struggle with his new-found size, as his blow is once again turned aside. He is able to parry the sivak's greatsword, but the creature follows up with its razor-sharp bite, drawing blood. He is able to keep his foe (D2) distracted well enough for Kellin to flank him, and the beast shudders violently as electricity courses through it, sparking off its metal armor.

Both Torkai and Cilene take aim at the sivak before them, each landing one blow out of two, drawing good blood from the thing. Then the two draconians that just came up from the south charge forward and attack. Cilene is able to block the thing's greatsword with her own weapon, and steps out of the way as it lashes out with its bite. Torkai also dodges the greatsword, but the things teeth latch firmly on to his shoulder, drawing blood.

Damage Summary:

Torkai is bitten for 9
Durgrin is bitten for 4
Ruhidr is bitten for 8
Ruhidr hits D1 hard
Kellin zaps D2 real hard
Torkai hits D3
Cilene hits D3
an arrow from the keep hits D2 for a scratch

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/castle4.png

Ruhidr:

If you want to look for specific info on the Draconians, such as leaders or tactics, roll both spot and knowledge:dragon every round. I'll figure the DCs.

demonllama
2007-11-04, 08:03 AM
Ruhidr

Gritting his teeth against the pain, Ruhidr otherwise ignores the blood dripping down his arm and swings yet again.

He hit me, eh? You added in the 1d4/2, right? ;) Every little bit counts.

Time for yet another spectacularly low Spot check!
[roll0]
On the off chance it didn't suck (history suggests otherwise):
[roll1]

Now for the basic combat rolls:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Sirrion
2007-11-04, 11:22 AM
Torkai

Wincing at the new foes, Torkai shifts to a defensive posture while making a feint at the same draconian he has damaged already.

Using combat expertise to take -4 to hit and add +4 to AC for 23 AC.

Initiative for new draconianns: [roll0]
Bluff for feint: [roll1]

Primary sneak damage: [roll4]

Primary attack: [roll5]
Primary damage: [roll6]
Primary sneak damage: [roll7]

Should do it.

Ilhares
2007-11-04, 02:37 PM
Cilene

They just keep coming. Why don't I have a bigger sword yet?

Yeah, same routine, more or less, plus charging the mace one last time.

(Mace)Attack: [roll0]
(Mace)Damage: [roll1]

(Sword)Attack: [roll2]
(Sword)Damage: [roll3]

And initiative to deal with the new foes: [roll4]

SandDemon
2007-11-05, 12:47 AM
Durgrin

Reorx, can I hit this damn thing already?!?

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
SS #1 [roll2] DC: [roll3]
SS #2 [roll4] DC: [roll5]
Spot [roll6] - figures my good rolls go towards Spot checks, wtf...

tehsnarf
2007-11-05, 07:17 AM
Coignar

Seeing his companions slightly outnumbered bodycount-wise, Coignar charges south and attacks!

Charge D4 (+2 attack, -2 AC)

To Hit : [roll1] (+4 BaB, +2 Charge, +1 Bless)

...That 13 for To Hit is really a 14.. I forgot to add in my bless...

Noldruk
2007-11-05, 08:05 AM
Kellin

Nodding to himself at the power in his grasp, he delivers another jolt to the draconian, hoping that it dies with this blast!

To Touch: [roll1]
To Grasp: [roll2]

(Ok.. That's ridiculous. Maybe Durgrin will kill it and I won't waste the spell.)

Berand
2007-11-05, 10:26 AM
Round 58

Combat continues, with neither side gaining a huge advantage. Ruhidr is able to finish off the Sivak before him with a mightly blow from his axe that sends the things guts spilling out of its scaly stomach. The draconian fighting Durgrin, finding the huge dwarf an easy target, lands a heavy blow with his greatsword this time. In reprisal, Kellin grabs the beast again and sends volts of electricity sparking through its armor.

Just then two more Knights come running around the corner of the temple from the south, both looking bloodied and battered, weapons drawn. One of them is yelling frantically at the top of his lungs: "TO THE WALLS! THEY'VE A FORCE APPROACHING! MAN THE WALLS!" With a snarl he and his companion charge toward the back of the three draconians your group is fighting.

Durgrin only:

You see the number of visible draconians beginning to thin now, as the Knights gain the upper hand. You also see groups of Knights, already bloodied, sprinting toward the front gates as calls to man the walls go out all over the castle grounds.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/castle5.png

Damage Report:

Durgrin takes 8 damage.
Ruhidr kills D1.
Everyone else, PCs and NPCs, misses. Lame!
Correction: Kellin hit on his attack, because I forgot to take in to account the fact that he and Durgrin have the sivak flanked. You hit him pretty good, but he's still alive.

tehsnarf
2007-11-05, 10:39 AM
Coignar

Coignar swings his short sword, hoping to scratch the monster in the very least.

Spot : [roll0]

To Hit : [roll1] (+4 BaB, +1 Bless, +2 Flanking)
Sneak Attack : [roll3]

tehsnarf
2007-11-05, 10:40 AM

SandDemon
2007-11-05, 10:58 AM
Durgrin

Beyond exhausted, Durgrin blurts out "Damn't, someone get dis off me! Canna hit fer ****s, so damn tired!" Lifting his weapon in defensive stance, he mumers a word towards Reorx asking for healing.

Cure moderate wounds: [roll0]
Casting on the defensive (no AoO, have to make a concentration 17 or I lose it): [roll1]

About ****ing time I made a roll, was about to start making a new character. :smalltongue:

demonllama
2007-11-05, 11:01 AM
Ruhidr

Continuing the motion from the last blow against the now deceased draconian, Ruhidr pivots and moves to bring his weapon to bear on the next one, hoping to relieve some pressure from his beleaguered companions.

First this stuff:
[roll0]
[roll1]

And now the combat against D2:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Sirrion
2007-11-05, 11:09 AM
Torkai

"Time to end this, beast!" Torkai growls at the draconian as he launches into another feint and attack.

Okay, back to 19 AC as I'm attacking normally with a feint.
Spot if needed: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll1]

Primary to hit: [roll2]
Primary sneak: [roll4]

Secondary to hit: [roll5]
Secondary sneak: [roll7]

Ilhares
2007-11-05, 12:08 PM
Cilene

Beginning to sweat a bit as her swings continue to go wide, Cilene ponders when it was she last slept.

And she keeps trying to beat on the draconian.

By the gods, I wish you'd die already, and you'd better be worth the effort.

I need to copy & paste this as often as it comes up.

(Mace) Damage: [roll1]

(Blade)Attack: [roll2]
(Blade)Damage: [roll3]

Noldruk
2007-11-05, 10:44 PM
Kellin

Grumbling at the effect of lethargy on his spells, Kellin resorts to his mace. Hefting it, he attempts to knock the draconian out of it's misery with a blow to the skull!

Berand
2007-11-05, 11:33 PM
Round 59

Growing worried at the lack of results, and now faced with 3 draconians, Cilene and Torkai step it up a notch. Cilene's mace is blocked by the Sivak's heavy armor, but her blade finds its way home in to the things gut, sending blood gushing over her hand. As it gasps and clutches at the wound, Torkai lashes out with his dagger drawing a jagged gash across its throat. With a sick gurgle and spray of draconian blood, it collapses.

Enraged at watching its companion drop just as it entered the fray, the other two draconians lash out. The first (D4) swings its sword at Coignar as he runs in to the melee, landing a solid hit that draws blood across his shoulder. As Torkai steps too close it snaps its teeth at him, drawing even more blood from the beleaguered swashbuckler. At this point Torkai is holding an internal debate over whether he should lay down and take a nap right about now. Blood loss does funny things to you. The other one (D5) swings its greatsword in a huge arc, catching Cilene on the side of her helmet. The blow sets her ears ringing and leaves blood trickling down her neck.

The two new-comers move in to flanking postions on the remaining draconians, though their attacks are ineffective this round.

Further toward the keep, Ruhidr lands another chop with his axe on the wounded draconian. As the punishment from the Dragonwrack courses through the Sivak, it drops to one knee and convulses, barely remaining conscious. Just then an arrow from the keep slices in to its throat with a spray of blood, and the thing keels over and transforms in to a Knight from the Keep.

Damage Report:

Torkai takes 6 damage from a bite.
Coignar takes 10 damage from a greatsword.
Cilene takes 14 damage from a greatsword.
Ruhidr drops D2 to 1 hp, the arrow from the keep kills it.
Torkai and Cilene kill D3.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/castle6.png

Ruhidr only:

You get a second to observe the remaining Sivaks after the arrow drops the one you just hit. You get the impression that they're fighting berserk now, which is not normal for Sivaks, who are usually the organizers. Judging by the call to the gates, you think they were probably forced to reveal themselves early by your uncovering of the one in the throne room. It was likely supposed to be coordinated better with the assault. Sivaks aren't generally the types to undertake suicide missions.

Noldruk
2007-11-05, 11:58 PM
Kellin

Nearly tripping as he rushes again to a side that will provide a clear shot at D5, Kellin prepares to blast him into oblivion. Concentrating, he utters the words of fiery doom!

Hit him, damnit: [roll1]
BURNINATION?: [roll2]

demonllama
2007-11-06, 12:03 AM
Ruhidr

With a hasty and vague salute to the archer from the keep, Ruhidr notices Torkai reeling from that last hit and races to his aid as quickly as his legs can carry him.

As he arrives at Torkai's side, Ruhidr reaches out one hand towards Torkai, shouting an ancient Elven word of strength.

I want to come to that space directly behind Torkai.

Seemed to work out last time, for once:
[roll0]
[roll1]
^^ This isn't what you think I said it might was be. This was supposed to say "KnowledgeDragon".

And now the "combat" stuff:
[roll2]

Invoking the bead of healing on Torkai:
[roll3] - caster level is still raised due to the bead of karma

Ilhares
2007-11-06, 07:30 AM
Cilene

Too stunned to even deliver a coherent thought from the hit she just took, our questionably brave yet cynical Lady of the Scathing Remarks continues the assault.

Right, so.. that hurt.

Sooner or later, it's bound to land:

(Mace) Damage: [roll1]

(Blade)Attack: [roll2]
(Blade)Damage: [roll3]

I ain't spottin' nothin'. If you want fresh initiative, you can have that: [roll4]

tehsnarf
2007-11-06, 07:50 AM
Coignar

Blaming his poor melee abilities on tiredness, Coignar rears back to swing.

To Hit : [roll1] (+4 BaB, +1 Bless, +2 Flank)
Sneak Attack : +[roll3]

Sirrion
2007-11-06, 10:01 AM
Torkai

With a quick word of thanks for Ruhidr, Torkai launches into another attack at the nearest Draconian.

Attacking D4 with a feint + attack with both daggers.

Should do it. Come on big numbers!

SandDemon
2007-11-06, 10:15 AM
Durgrin

Huffing and puffing, Durgrin half-runs his way down toward the fight - stopping for a breath just short of the fray.

Run 40 feet south.
Spot check: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

Berand
2007-11-06, 10:59 AM
Round 60

As the draconians begin dropping, the group surges around the last two standing. Judging by the change in their expressions, they both seem to be aware of the fact that they're the last two draconians anywhere in sight and are outnumbered 4-1. Ruhidr recognizes in their scaled visages the signs of near panic.

They both start to back away, parrying defensively. Even so, one of Torkai's daggers slips through on a feint and draws blood. A blast of flame from Kellin's fingers causes no harm, but definitely heightens their discomfort. The two flanking Knights each get a swing on the Sivaks as they go by, but their attacks are parried handily.

A quick glance to the west shows that Lord Tordinrak and his party have dispatched the last draconians, leaving a pile of dead shape-shifted Sivak's in their wake. Kiera, flanking the Lord, yells for you all to hurry to the gates.

Damage Report:

Torkai lands a good hit on D4.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/castle7.png

Notes:

Both draconians are making defensive withdrawals from combat, which means no AoOs when moving out of their starting location. Everyone roll initiative for the next round if you pursue. Here's the initiatives to beat, else they get to run:

D4: [roll0]
D5: [roll1]

tehsnarf
2007-11-06, 11:08 AM
Coignar

Coignar draws his crossbow and fires at the fleeing dragon-men.

Shooting at D4 with first shot. If I don't kill D4 with Shot 1, shoot again, otherwise switch to D5.

---SHOT 1---
Hit Roll : [roll1] (+6 BaB, +1 Bless, +1 Point Blank Shot)
Damage Roll : [roll2] (+1 Magical, +1 Point Blank Shot)

---SHOT 2---
Hit Roll : [roll3] (+6 BaB, +1 Bless, +1 Point Blank Shot)
Damage Roll : [roll4] (+1 Magical, +1 Point Blank Shot)

demonllama
2007-11-06, 11:21 AM
Ruhidr

"Th' gates're on th' other side o' those draconians! Long as they're goin' our way, give'm no rest!"

So saying, Ruhidr tightens his grip on his waraxe and gives chase.

Okay, so, I know D5's got the lower initiative, but Ruhidr just sees the one draconian bleeding; going after D4.

First things first... let's hope this roll doesn't make the rest obsolete.
[roll0]

Still keeping my eyes open. Maybe it'll help :P
[roll1]
[roll2]

And the combat:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

EDIT: Okay, so, basically, I'm waddling after D4. I should be able to keep running after him to my full Run*3 ability, which SHOULD put me in range for a Charge next round. I think if I miss that time, though, his faster speed would have pulled him far enough ahead I couldn't do it again.

Ilhares
2007-11-06, 12:21 PM
Cilene

.. wait, what?

"That's right, run from me! Cowards!"

Cilene lowers her arm wielding the energy blade before snapping it back up and letting fly at the retreating draconian. Not bothering to actually track it's trajectory once thrown, she makes for the gate. She doesn't need High-Lord Muckymuck picking her up by her neck next.

Initiative? OK: [roll0]
Trown Mindblade (he's within 30 feet): [roll1]

Sirrion
2007-11-06, 03:39 PM
Torkai

Not willing to let the draconians get away easily, Torkai follows with a pair of attacks.

Moving after D4 to keep hounding him. No bluff for sneak attack since I'm moving.

Primary attack: [roll0]
Primary damage: [roll1]

Secondary attack: [roll2]
Secondary damage: [roll3]

SandDemon
2007-11-06, 09:22 PM
Durgrin

Walking towards Coignar, Durgrin places his hand on his shoulder and mummers a small prayer.

Cure light wounds: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

Noldruk
2007-11-06, 10:59 PM
Kellin

Sighing and huffing down a breath of air, Kellin begins making his way to the gate along with the others.

Berand
2007-11-07, 12:36 AM
Round 61

The two remaining draconians panic fully now, each of them turning, spreading their huge wings, and leaping in to the air to escape. Coignar sends to bolts flying after one of them, both of which land solid hits. The thing screeches and appears to crash land on the other side of some buildings.

Once they're out of reach, everyone turns to head to the gate. Fatigue keeps you from actually running, making you acutely aware that the adrenalin from the fight is wearing off. As you approach the gates, you see the fight is already fully underway. Lord Tordinrak is standing near one of the tower entrances with his cleric adviser, directing some Knights in to position and shouting orders. You can see his mage adviser standing on the center of the gatehouse. The air crackles around him as he sends a lightning bolt down on the far side of the walls.

Shouts to man the walls can be heard repeated all over, as Knights begin trickling in from all over the castle grounds as they finish fighting off the Sivaks.

Combat Map:

Note that the + symbols at the front of the towers represent light ballista. You'll be able to see the battlefield once you get to the walls.

The blue dot is Tordinrak's mage adviser, the purple is the cleric adviser and the green is the other Knight of the Rose. The little Knight icons are all mixed Knights of the Sword and Crown.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/gate.png

Notes:

If there is any more healing or prep going on, you have three rounds of light jogging to get to the walls in which to do it.

Everyone is now fatigued. Your first round takes no penalty, but when you do your rolls also roll a Fortitude check, DC 12. If you fail, then next round you take -2 str, -2 dex, and 5% spell fail chance. Roll again every round to determine if you're penalized the following round. Regardless of the fortitude check, no one can run faster then 2x speed, and you can't do it two rounds in a row. Also, no one can charge.

You now need to pick where you're going on the walls, or if you're doing something else. Like talking to Tordinrak or the like. If there's any applicable data you think you should have that I didn't give out, let me know what it is and why.

Archery:
Anyone shooting a bow from the top of the walls gets a 25% range bonus. So if your max range is 100', you can measure out 125' from the wall to determine your max. Conversely, anyone shooting from the ground up to the walls gets a 25% range penalty. This does not affect magic spell range.

Anyone standing on the walls gets a +5 bonus to AC from ranged attacks originating on the ground outside the walls, that exists even when flat-footed. Only three hexes immediately in from the outside are vulnerable from below, after that archers don't have LoS (basically all the walls can be hit, but the centers and backs of the towers can not). Anyone closer then 3 hexes to the walls can't shoot up because of the angle, though people on the walls can shoot down even to the base of the wall.

And finally, anyone shooting bows from the walls gets a +2 attack and +2 damage bonus.

Ballista:
Should anyone want to attempt to man one: Requires two people to work them, one full-action round from both to load it. Max range 1000 feet. 3d8+8 damage 19-20/x2. Roll base attack + strength bonus + any applicable archery bonuses, with a -4 penalty since none of you have any siege weapon skills. Bolts can pierce two targets if they're in a straight line from you, doing the same damage to both.

SandDemon
2007-11-07, 12:43 AM
Durgrin

I knew you were testing my endurance, but this is a bit much Reorx... Turning to the group, Durgrin ponders just sitting on the ground and waiting for someone to come to him to fight. "If'n ya need healin', be askin' and coming to me - cannot get to others so fast."

Ilhares
2007-11-07, 07:54 AM
Cilene

Wiping the sweat from her face and using it to slick her hair back, Cilene approaches Lord Tordinrak. Waiting for even a minor break in conversation with his priest she asks, "Alright, where do you want me?"

demonllama
2007-11-07, 09:00 AM
Ruhidr

Moving toward Lord Tordinrak, Ruhidr says, weariness evident in his voice, "I'm planning to head up to the wall near the ballista, unless you want me somewhere else. Figure I can take a look out there and see if I notice something worth mentioning."

I wonder if any of his mages or clerics has something to take the edge off this fatigue...

Noldruk
2007-11-07, 09:25 AM
Kellin

Moving slowly up the wall, Kellin positions himself near the wizard advisor to survey what approaches.

Sirrion
2007-11-07, 10:24 AM
Torkai

Sheathing his daggers and pulling out his bow, Torkai nods at Ruhidr in agreement. "Up to the walls for me, I'll help you with the ballista or rain arrows down on them if you do not end up firing the contraption." he says with a glance up to the walls.

tehsnarf
2007-11-07, 11:07 AM
Coignar

"Now you're talking my language, fella's. Let's head on up there and start evening this battle out a bit," Coignar says as grins. Exhaustion readily shows on his features, but he tries to not let it affect him.

Berand
2007-11-07, 12:50 PM
Round 62

Shouting can be heard all around, mixed with the sounds of battle. Two Knights come down from the wall dragging a comrade who has an arrow in his stomach. "Get him to the Keep, we're setting up an infirmary there." orders Lord Tordinrak.

He then yells out to a handful of Knights approaching from the castle grounds, "Barricade the gates!" The Knights salute and take off at a run. Tordinrak turns and nods at the group. "I'm impressed to see you all with us, you must be exhausted. We won't forget your aid here today. We can use you up on the walls here at the gatehouse. They've made only token pushes along the rest of the length of the walls, and nothing from the sea yet. Fit in as best you can." With that he turns to shout something at some of the Knights up on the walls.

As the group heads up the stairwell, the full magnitude of the siege becomes apparent. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of draconians visible from the walls, the vast majority of them several miles away, filtering out of the woods and hills. Several groups of archers have moved in to range of the walls, and are laying down fire on the defenders. Several other groups have approached with ladders and are currently running toward the walls. Another group is standing at the base of the wall with a partially-completed battering ram, which they've just got in to position. Every draconian you see is smaller then the ones you just fought.

Those of you with military training immediately recognize that this attack was not prepared. There are no catapults, trebuchets or siege towers. The battering ram is clearly not completed yet, and appears to have been carried to the walls by the squad of draconians currently swinging it.

Combat Map:

The groups in a straight line with the black hex in the front are ladder squads. The one in front holds the ladder, the others have shields up. The groups in a staggered length-wise line are archers shooting at the walls.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/gate1.png

Notes:

Pick what you guys want to do. No one has to roll initiative - with a group this large it's just your side goes, other side goes, repeat.

If you're going to try to fire that ballista, whoever is strongest should roll the attack while the other assists. You could also roll your intimidate or diplomacy check, DC 10, to order one of the Knights to come assist with it.

Ruhidr, roll your knowledge:dragon if you want to try to identify the forces arrayed before you.

Everyone rolls their fortitude check to see if they have a penalty next round.

Ilhares
2007-11-07, 01:25 PM
Cilene

"Well, they aren't running away, and we've got what amounts to the high ground, so .. let's make the best of it."

Moving forward to where she can keep an eye on the approaching forces, Cilene manifests her strange blade once again. As she moves forward, the blade reshapes itself into a larger form.

Fort check.. Fort check.. that's here someplace..[roll0]

Reshaping the blade into its bastard sword form and empowering it (might as well gain the bonus damage it can bring). She'll hold back until a decent target has come within range (30m) before letting fly.

In the event a good target presents itself:

(Blade)Attack: [roll1]
(Base)Damage: [roll2]
(Bonus)Damage: [roll3]

Add 1 to the attack if we're still blessed.

SandDemon
2007-11-07, 01:33 PM
Durgrin

Deciding a good spot for a rest, Durgrin leans against the wall sitting on the ground with his shield in front of him to block anything incoming. Probably won't get much rest but it's worth something for a moment....

Not much I can do so just going to take a breather until someone gets hurt. Fort save [roll0]

demonllama
2007-11-07, 01:48 PM
Ruhidr

Not taking his eyes away from the forces before them, Ruhidr comments to Torkai, "Plenty of targets for yer an' me to hit!"

Okay, since the ballista's a full-round action, this round I'm not using it this round.
[roll0]

EDIT - Forgot the Spot check; see next post.
[roll1]

Using the Holy Smite bead on my prayer beads on the draconians around the battering ram (if I have to pick one specifically, D3). It does 1d8 damage, and blinds them for 1 round (so... everyone in the castle is treated as "invisible", with +2 Attack against the blinded ones, and they're flat-footed against us). Will save to negate blind, and take half damage.
D1:
[roll2]
D2:
[roll3]
D3:
[roll4]
D4:
[roll5]
D5:
[roll6]
D6:
[roll7]
D7:
[roll8]
D8:
[roll9]
EDIT - Also, jeeze. The RNG sure likes to not be so random.

tehsnarf
2007-11-07, 01:55 PM
Coignar

Taking up a position on the wall, Coignar begins firing at the proud owners of the battering ram and a few of his bolts.

Moving to the spot east of Torkai, and firing at 1. (About 35 feet, give or take)

To Hit : [roll0] (+6 BaB, +1 Bless)
To Dam : [roll1] (+1 Magical)

demonllama
2007-11-07, 02:05 PM
Ruhidr

[roll0]

Sirrion
2007-11-07, 02:19 PM
Torkai

Taking his cue from Ruhidr, Torkai sights up the lead draconian holding the battering ram and fires an arrow.

Fortitude check: [roll0]

Firing at D1, if he's within 30 feet and flat footed, I get sneak attack damage. Otherwise, just take the normal damage.

Sneak damage: [roll3]

Should be it...

Noldruk
2007-11-07, 07:40 PM
Kellin

Narrowing his eyes, Kellin almost boggles at the battering ram and how crude it looks. Shrugging, he unleashes a flaming jet directly at it's core, intending on lighting it ablaze and rendering it useless.

Fortitude Save: [roll0]

Berand
2007-11-07, 11:39 PM
Round 63

Everyone with ranged weapons rushes to the edge of the battlements, quickly taking stock of the fight and choosing targets. Ruhidr spreads his arms wide and draws upon the power of the prayer beads, smiting the group around the battering ram. They all take minor wounds, but six of the eight also clutch at their eyes and stagger around blindly in a panic (2 and 6 saved). Cilene sends her blade down from the walls, which buries itself heavily in the first draconian's chest. As it spins around from the force, still unable to see, Torkai's arrow takes it in the forehead. As the thing's head snaps back from the force, the body immediately solidifies in to solid stone, standing there like a statue.

Spreading his fingers once again, Kellin sends out a jet of flame which engulfs the makeshift ram. It is left slightly damaged and smoldering in the flames wake, but doesn't yet catch on fire.

The Knights along the walls continue firing crossbows, and the ballista from the other tower lets out a loud *twang* as it sends a bolt launching in to the crowed. Several arrows from the groups of draconians fly overhead, keeping the Knights suppressed, but none cause injury this time that you can see.

Combat Map:

The ladder on the east will get to the wall next round, and one draconian can make it up the ladder each round after that. The ladder to the west is one round behind. The ram is at the gate, but hasn't hit it yet, because all the draconians pulling it are either blinded, wounded or dead.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/gate2.png

Ruhidr:

You recognize all the draconians in front of you as baaz. Baaz are the low-ranking grunts that turn to stone when they die, but they're incredibly cruel. Except for the two in the center, which are bozak. Probably sorcerers, though occasionally clerics.

SandDemon
2007-11-08, 02:01 AM
Durgrin

*yawn* Nappy time!

Just waiting on someone to heal since I can't do anything. Fort save [roll0] - if someone asks for me to heal or help with the ballista I will though.

demonllama
2007-11-08, 02:22 AM
Ruhidr

Turning briefly to those next to him, Ruhidr shouts, "Those two in the center're the spell slingers, lads. Bozak, they're called. The rest of'm are just grunts. Big, mean grunts with teeth, claws, and wings... but grunts. Call themselves Baaz."

Turning back to fiddle with the ballista, Ruhidr roars, "Someone help me with this blasted contraption; I can't work it all myself!"

To start with:
[roll0]

To remain aware of all that's going on:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Okay, whether it's Torkai or Durgrin that winds up assisting, though Durgrin would be tactically better (freeing Torkai up for arrows), I'm aiming at D25.
[roll3] +3 str bonus - 4 penalty + 1 bless; adjust as necessary, if necessary
[roll4]

EDIT: Ugh. I've always rolled good on attacks... until now. Figures. Still, at least I'm trying... it's all I can do right now :P

EDIT2: Okay, never try to post when it's 2:30am and you just got back from an MC Chris show. I realized why the Attack roll seemed lower; I never added my BAB. Jeff, you and I talked about this; my base Ranged BAB is 4 (we're ignoring the -2, since this thing isn't aimed by a steady hand but by levers'n'such). So, add 4 to my Attack Roll for a total of 11. Still not good enough to hit, I don't think, but it's better :P

tehsnarf
2007-11-08, 07:09 AM
Coignar

Yawning yet again, Coignar switches his target and fires a few rounds at the two lone beasts.

Fortitude Check : [roll0]

Aiming for #25, backup target #26 (if 25 dies, aiming for 26).
---SHOT 1---
Hit Roll : [roll1] (+6 BaB, +1 Bless, +2 Wall Bonus)
Damage Roll : [roll2] (+1 Magical, +2 Wall Bonus)

---SHOT 2---
Hit Roll : [roll3] (+6 BaB, +1 Bless, +2 Wall Bonus)
Damage Roll : [roll4] (+1 Magical, +2 Wall Bonus)

Noldruk
2007-11-08, 07:53 AM
Kellin

Motioning to the other wizard, Kellin points at the battering ram and yells, 'Set it ablaze, if you can!' Hefting his crossbow, he then sends a bolt for D25.

Fortitude: [roll0]

Ilhares
2007-11-08, 09:56 AM
Cilene

Lather, Rinse, Repeat as necessary.

Hitting the spellcasters is generally a good approach. Manifest, empower, throw.

(Blade)Attack: [roll0]
(Base)Damage: [roll1]
(Bonus)Damage: [roll2]

And Fort Check: [roll3]

Sirrion
2007-11-08, 10:26 AM
Torkai

If Durgrin moves to help Ruhidr, then I'll fire an arrow at D4. Otherwise, I'll help Ruhidr for my turn.

Bow attack: [roll1] (+4 BAB, +3 dex, +2 from wall, +2 blind)
Bow damage: [roll2]
Sneak attack: [roll3]

If Durgrin is helping Ruhider, then after the shot, moving along the wall to the right towards where the first ladder is going to hit so I can attack against those draconians next turn.

demonllama
2007-11-08, 10:39 AM
Ruhidr

This is a Diplomacy check for if there are any Knights hanging back not firing ranged weapons, I would hope one of them steps forward to let Durgrin get his beauty rest. If there AREN'T any, I don't want to make'm drop their crossbows; just let Durgrin wake his lazybones self up.
[roll0]
EDIT: Ack, typo. That's only +2, not +3... so, rolled a 10.

Berand
2007-11-08, 11:13 AM
Round 64

The ranged battle goes on unabated, as more Knights get to the walls and pull out crossbows. Like most Knights, however, their strong suit is melee combat, and their bow skills are only average. Kiera and one of the Knights are busy reloading the ballista in the east tower, while the bolt from the western ballista sails wide, sticking harmlessly in the ground.

Hearing Ruhidr report the two spellcasters, Kellin, Cilene and Coignar all send ranged attacks flying at them. Just as they're about to reach them, all three attacks halt in mid air as if striking a wall made of sludge. They hang there a second, before falling harmlessly to the ground.

The Knight wizard next to Kellin, looking down to see the fiery work Kellin started, spreads his fingers and sends his own gout of flame down at it. This time the ram catches on fire completely. It's still usable, but you estimate in a few rounds it will be completely engulfed. The remaining draconians holding it, now that they can see again, heft it and prepare to smash at the gates. One of them takes an arrow from Torkai's bow, but keeps on working at the ram.

On the eastern wall, the draconian's ladder is pushed in to position against the stones and the first draconian starts his way up it.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/gate3.png

Coignar:

Your spellcraft allows you to immediately recognize the affects of the level 2 sorcerer spell protection from arrows on the two bozak spellcasters.

demonllama
2007-11-08, 11:57 AM
Ruhidr

"Ah, sands take this contraption."

How a desert-bred was supposed to work one of these, I'll never know...

Grimacing in disgust at the useless pile of wood and pulleys and the like next to him, Ruhidr takes off as fast as his legs can carry him to be waiting for the western ladder when it makes it to the wall.

As always:
[roll0]
[roll1] - to keep an eye on what's going on
[roll2] - to notice anything else that might help

SandDemon
2007-11-08, 02:52 PM
Durgrin

"Casters eh? Let's see if they like dis den!" Waving his mace above his head he yells at the top of his lungs "SILENCE!" After that he moves on over to meet the group with Ruhidr. "Handle the ram and other side eh?" he yells over his shoulder to the rest of the group.

They may not be casting, but this should help....and if they're leaders least this will stop them from giving orders.
Cast Silence centered on the one that looks meaner of the two :smallwink:
-20 foot radius and moves with him
-400 foot range.
-Will Save DC16 to negate.

Fort Save [roll0]

OOC: Hey wankers, read the OOC thread so we can get a voice game!

Ilhares
2007-11-09, 07:34 AM
Cilene

Okay, I'm really disliking the mages.

Wait for it..

(Blade)Attack: [roll0]
(Base)Damage: [roll1]
(Bonus)Damage: [roll2]

Any good target of opportunity, especially if someone else is using it as a target. Combined firepower never hurts.

Fort Check: [roll3]

Noldruk
2007-11-09, 10:21 AM
Kellin

Motioning to the wizard again and pointing at the ladder that has yet to reach the wall, Kellin yells, 'Aim for the middle! We need to set that one on fire, too!' With that, his hands outstretched, he sends an intense blast of flame for the middle of the ladder.

Diplomacy for the Knight Wizard: [roll1]
To hit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

tehsnarf
2007-11-09, 10:30 AM
Coignar

Growling as his watches his cross bolts stop suddenly without hitting their target, Coignar takes it upon himself to annouce to the people around him, "They're protected by a spell against arrows! We'll have to shoot it until it drops!" With that, he fires a few more shots at the same target.

Atleast, that's how I think it works. I knew I should've been paying more attention... Guess we'll find out!

Same as before...
Fortitude Check : [roll0]

Aiming for #25, backup target #26 (if 25 dies, aiming for 26).
---SHOT 1---
Hit Roll : [roll1] (+6 BaB, +1 Bless, +2 Wall Bonus)
Damage Roll : [roll2] (+1 Magical, +2 Wall Bonus)

---SHOT 2---
Hit Roll : [roll3] (+6 BaB, +1 Bless, +2 Wall Bonus)
Damage Roll : [roll4] (+1 Magical, +2 Wall Bonus)

Sirrion
2007-11-09, 11:55 AM
Torkai

Continuing his movement to the wall, he tries to get into position to take a shot at those scaling the ladder on the east side.

Going to shoot at the one climbing the ladder.

Sneak: [roll3]

That should be it.

Berand
2007-11-09, 03:41 PM
Round 65

The battle continues. On the west side of the gatehouse, the draconian ladder hits the wall and one Baaz starts its way up. The defenders manage to pepper one of the Baaz on the ground from that group with enough arrows that he turns to stone. Ruhidr takes off running to join the group over here, in preparation for the enemies scaling.

At the gate Kellin sends a blast of flame at the ram once more, engulfing it in an inferno. The Baaz take one swing at the gate with it, but are forced to throw it down as the flames spread. Just then Cilene sends her blade whirling off the wall again, turning another from the ram crew (4) to stone.

Coignar shouts out his information on the wizards, then lets two more arrows fly. Both stop in the same invisible wall and drop harmlessly to the ground. Durgrin throws his arms out and yells "SILENCE!". The two Bozak suddenly don't look happy. The row of archers to the west, seeing Durgrin cast his spell, let their arrows fly. Most hit the walls harmlessly, but one pierces his arm and draws blood.

Meanwhile Torkai sprints to the east, letting an arrow fly at the Baaz climbing the ladder. His shot flies wide however, hitting nothing but dirt.

As the first Baaz is just about to finish climbing to the wall on the east, three Knights square off, ready to oppose it. All of a sudden the Knight closest to the tower shifts and contorts in to the massive form of a Sivak (S1). Catching the Knights completely by surprise, the Sivak grabs the closest one and heaves him over the back of the wall, where he lands with a sickening crunch. The route clear, the first Baaz makes it to the wall and turns to face the one remaining Knight, who takes a panicked swing that misses badly. The Sivak turns the other way and prepares to guard the ladder from anyone in the tower, while the next Baaz starts his way up.

Amidst some commotion on the ground, another Knight near the east tower entrance contorts in to the shape of a Sivak also (S2). It lunges for one of the Knights trying to get in the tower door, and a battle ensues.

Damage Report:

Durgrin takes 7 damage.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/gate4.png

Kellin:

You had no line of sight on any ladders, so I had you flame the ram again instead.

Ruhidr:

You suddenly have a thought. If the invaders make it to the walls, all the Baaz can glide straight in to the courtyard. They can't fly, but they can glide fine. Also, too late, you realize that there might be Sivaks amongst you. Killing someone then taking their form and sneaking behind enemies is a favorite tactic...

Notes:

Note that fatigue does not stack. You either have the penalty or you don't, depending on your fortitude save every round.

Also, the draconians have to roll an overrun check to see if they can make it on the walls, if someone is standing in the way.

demonllama
2007-11-09, 04:09 PM
Ruhidr

Ruhidr shoulders through the soldiers in his way, taking up a position at the top of the ladder, "Make way, lads! This is what I do. Just don't let'm make it off the top of that ladder!"

I don't see that it would make a difference which Knight I replace, so I just picked the middle. Get an AoO no matter which way they try to go, then.

Okay... let's get busy.
[roll0]

[roll1] - I'm assuming Bless is still up? Also, don't know if the fact that they're coming off a ladder affects anything other than "they're flat-footed"
[roll2]
[roll3]

SandDemon
2007-11-09, 06:24 PM
Durgrin

Plowing his way through the knights (cautiously looking for any that might shift and attack him), Durgrin moves to the right side of Ruhidr and places his hand on his shoulder muttering a prayer to Reorx. "Grant our brother strength, Reorx."

Raising his mace ready to smash any draconian coming up, he grins and yells out to the other knights for support "Draconians? My GRANDMA gives meh harder time! Bring it ya scaly bitches!"

Cast Bull's Strength on Ruhidr (+4 Str for 4 minutes), should help with that overrun attempts with 20 strength :smallamused:
Fort save: [roll0]

Noldruk
2007-11-09, 08:03 PM
Kellin

Narrowing his eyes for a moment, Kellin surveys the battlefield. Moving somewhat closer to Coignar, he yells to him, asking what the draconian word for retreat is. After a moment, he receives his answer and utters the 'Ghost Sound' spell, sending deep, powerful and commanding voice straight out as far and loud as he can from his position atop the wall, speaking the word for 'Retreat!' (or Run/Panic/Flee/equivalent). This is going to be repeating for as long as the spell lasts.

Edit: Was told I may need to clarify - This spell target "origin" of the sound is as far south as I can make it go, hovering in the air.. like 35 or 40 feet or so. The guys on the wall hear it coming from behind them, the others hear it coming in front of them

Sirrion
2007-11-09, 10:04 PM
Torkai

Looking stunned for just a split second, Torkai drops his bow and draws his daggers and steps forward to confront the Sivak in front of him.

Going to feint and attack. At 18 AC due to stat loss and -1 to my attack and damage rolls as well taken into account.

Feint: [roll1]

Please let me get some good rolls? :smallannoyed:

Ilhares
2007-11-11, 10:30 AM
Cilene

.. so very glad that throwing this does not take much effort, there's just so many of them.

Fort check: [roll0]

Throwing again(and adding in the damage I keep forgetting about from the high ground)-

(Blade)Attack: [roll1]
(Base)Damage: [roll2]
(Bonus)Damage: [roll3]

and on the off chance something might catch her eye:

Spot Check: [roll4]

Noldruk
2007-11-11, 07:24 PM
Bluff Check: [roll0]

Berand
2007-11-12, 10:41 AM
Round 66

It was a confluence of circumstances and luck that did it, really. The attack was already going poorly, with the Sivaks forced out of hiding early, the lack of larger siege weapons available to the attackers, and the only one they did have, the ram, now an unusable pile of coals and ashes. The icing on the proverbial cake, however, came from the silence Durgrin cast over the two Bozak. Deciding there was no point in staying in arrow range if they couldn't cast their spells, though two turned to make a tactical withdrawal from combat, to come back once they got the silence off themselves.

Just then, Kellin let loose his ghost sound spell. The draconians, reasonably disciplined, experienced troops that work well as a unit, would normally have been very unlikely to succumb to a trick like that. However, on top of an already dubious morale, once they glanced behind them and saw the two mages running, the deal was sealed. Nearly all of the draconians save those already committed to battle turned, drop to all fours, and took off away from battle at a run.

The archers on the walls got off a few shots, most missing the fleeing targets. To the west, just as the first draconian crested the wall he met Ruhidr's axe. Barely surviving the first hit, the thing attempted to lunge forward and make it on to the solid walls, only to be met with a heavy shove from the divinely-enhanced dwarf. With a screech the Baaz went tumbling over the edge, turning to stone after a sickening crunch on the ground below.

To the east, Torkai whipped his daggers out and charged straight in to the Sivak, landing a solid hit with one dagger. His fatigue left him slow to respond, however, and a blow from the draconian's greatsword left him reeling and bleeding. Behind the Sivak, the Baaz that crested the walls first leaps on the one remaining Knight, taking him down in a grapple of biting teeth and slashing claws. Another Baaz crests the wall behind them.

Damage Report:

Torkai takes 14 damage from the Sivak
Ruhidr kills a Baaz

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/gate5.png

SandDemon
2007-11-12, 10:56 AM
Durgrin

Impressed with the display of strength he granted but bored by the lack of direct involvement, Durgrin nods towards the dwarf as he looks below at the remaining draconians. "Ya got this, best check on tha kiddies" he says as he takes off in a mild sprint to the other side.

Just double speed to the east.
OOC: Remember if ya need healing, takes me awhile to get to you...

Noldruk
2007-11-12, 12:25 PM
Kellin

Grinning to himself, as he watches the draconians flee, Kellin pulls his pipe and tabacco from his pouches, and lights a thumbfull. As the draconian voice continues to repeat itself, he takes a puff, turns casually to the Knight Wizard and says, 'See, the main problem is that it lasts so long once you start it.. Heh.' still staring off far into the distant forest..

demonllama
2007-11-12, 03:26 PM
Ruhidr

Tossing a quick grin over his should at Durgrin as he departs, Ruhidr turns back to face the coming draconians. Glancing pointedly at the stone draconian below, he quickly exchanges his nice axe for his backup axe... just in case.

[roll0]

Okay... well, no guts, no glory. If I manage to kill'm on this strike or the AoO I get when he tries to overrun me, here's my Reflex save. If I do kill'm, and my axe gets stuck, I'm not drawing the other one; I'll just rely on grappling to not let'm through.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Sirrion
2007-11-12, 06:10 PM
Torkai

Wincing at the sudden lost of blood, Torkai switches to a more defensive fighting stance while feinting and striking with both daggers.

Using combat expertise to take -4 penalty to attack and adding +4 ac to my dex (total of 22).

Sneak: [roll4]

Sneak: [roll7]

Should do it...

Berand
2007-11-13, 11:39 PM
Round 67

As it starts to dawn on the remaining draconians that they're alone on the field, the ones not yet engaged turn tail and run. One more crests the wall next to Ruhidr, but falls back with a brutal axe blow to the head, shattering on the ground after turning to stone in mid-air. Archers are able to kill the Baaz running away from that ladder before it can get out of range.

East of the gatehouse, two of the Baaz that made the wall leap off in the courtyard below, gliding on their wings. The lone Sivak on the wall continues fighting with Torkai, though neither lands any blows this round.

Several draconians out of range appear to have realized that no real retreat was sounded, judging by how they've stopped and are looking back at the castle. None appear willing to be the first to re-engage, however, and the throngs continue filtering away from the walls toward the gathering draconian army.

Combat Map:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/jeffster78/gate6.png

Edit: I forgot to move Durgrin east on the map. You're 40' east of where you are now.

demonllama
2007-11-14, 09:36 AM
Ruhidr

Staring tiredly across the entire length of the wall, Ruhidr notices the ballista standing there unused. Hey... a poor chance is better than no chance, right?

"You, by the ballista! Get that thing loaded an' help me hit that Sivak, an' yer next few tankards are on me!", Ruhidr bellows out as he double-times it over to the contraption.

As always:
[roll0]

Diplomacy asking the Knight(s) for help:
[roll1]
EDIT: Apparently, he hates tankards =(

Spot/Knowledge checks, just in case:
[roll2]
[roll3]

SandDemon
2007-11-14, 03:07 PM
Durgrin

Looking at the fleeing draconians and glancing all the way down the wall towards Torkai and his opponent....that very long walk....probably too far. Waving his hand saying to himself "nah", Durgrin starts to head downstairs whispering to himself. "It'd beh gone er dead by the time I made it, and I'm flippin' tired."

Berand
2007-11-16, 09:37 AM
Round 68

Okay, this round was played via live chat. In summary:

The last Sivak got away, and everyone could see the Draconians in the distance setting up for a protracted siege. While the wounded were being helped off the walls and other defenses arranged, the group talked to Lord Tordinrak. After some conversation, he asked everyone what rewards they would have. Durgrin asked to spend some time with the smith, and the group was introduced to Olaff. Ruhidr asked to become a Knight, and was told to learn about what it entailed from one of the Knights in charge, but that Tordinrak had seen him in action more then once and he had his support. Kellin asked if the mages in the castle could remove the curse off the necklace he bought in Engoth city.

Everyone slept in the keep, and the next day everyone was informed that they were being awarded with 1000 gold each. Or they could trade it in for services at the smithy - Olaff can make up to +2 basic weapons and armor in two days, with Durgrin's help at the forge. He doesn't deal with any special magic.

Ruhidr: +2 dwarven waraxe
Torkai: +2 dagger
Durgrin: +2 dwarven warpike
Cilene:
Coignar:
Kellin: uncursed necklace (several weeks of work)

Note: Olaff can make bracers +2 like we discussed, but the bonus doesn't stack with regular armor. No, he can't do the "insight" ones. As an alternative, it would be off-slot, but I'd let him make a greathelm +1 that you could wear - we'll call it an upgraded substitute to what comes with normal armor.

Ruhidr is inducted as a Knight of the Sword, and Lord Tordinrak promotes him to Soldier straight-away, skipping the Squire rank. That night in a huge ceremony, Kiera is promoted to a Knight of the Rose. Everyone learns that she's very young to achieve such a rank, but that her family is extremely old and distinguished. It's even written that her great-great-great-etc grandfather was one of Padim Asabal's companions when he first came to Engoth and founded the Knighthood. There's always been a Torblood in the order, as far as anyone remembers.

Finally the next morning, on the day the groups stuff at the smithy is completed, Lord Tordinrak offers a mission. They expect this siege to go on for some time, possibly months, as the Draconians can be seen getting out scaffolding to build equipment, and their mages are attempting to set up wards to prevent anyone getting in or out of the castle in the mean time. He needs a report delivered to the capital, and he needs intel from the main land.

He says he can get you out that very night and to Durnlan. From there you would be on your own, making your way across the desert and in to Toraland. to find out what exactly is going on. He'll send one of his mages with you as far as the capital, who can facilitate communication.

The group agrees to go, and Tordinrak says to report to the Keep after dark - you'll leave that very night.

I need to know what items Coignar and Cilene want. Once I have that, I'll lead off the next round at that evening. If anyone wants to do anything else in the castle before then, make sure you post it now. Kellin will have to pick up his necklace when the group returns. Also, make sure you added the exp to your characters from the encounters.

SandDemon
2007-11-16, 12:49 PM
OOC: Added the exp and everything, but didn't I ask Olaff to see if we could bug the mages for contact gems so we could chat remotely? Hence our discussion of learning some things could continue while on the road.

Berand
2007-11-16, 01:34 PM
Olaf has no idea what a contact gem is. Plus he doesn't see how he could teach someone smithing from afar, since it's all hands-on and showing examples and techniques.

Berand
2007-11-18, 10:42 AM
Round 69

As the group gathers at the keep just after dark, you're met by Lord Tordinrak and a mage whose robes bear the marks of a Knight of the Crown.

"This is Lieutenant Bindar, he'll be getting you out of the castle. He'll also be remaining in Durnlan for a time to act as your contact back to here. When you arrive, I'm relying on you to pass on my report to the Council." He hands over a bound scroll containing details of the situation. "Once the Council is done with you, find passage west. You're probably best off booking a riverboat to Lake Honz, then heading for the desert from there, but the particulars are up to you. I need to know more about what's going on in the west, so we know what to expect here. We know the Draconians are involved, but we don't know how yet. Any questions?"

SandDemon
2007-11-18, 02:07 PM
Durgrin

Leaning on his new weapon, Durgrin nods and chimes in "I'm good, lez get movin' eh? Nice tah meet ya an all that - assumin' we don't die, owe me a stiff drink when we get back."

Berand
2007-11-19, 11:08 AM
Round 70

"Alright, off with you then. May Paladine guide you." Tordinrak nods at the mage, then turns and strides off.

The mage, Lieutenant Bindar, addresses the group. "Well then, no time to waste. If you'll come with me..." he turns and heads out of the Keep and in to the courtyard, where he makes his way to the strange bug-like ship. At the foot of the ship is a gangplank, guarded by two Knights of the Crown in heavy armor. They both salute the Lieutenant. "Welcome aboard sir. We're ready to ship off, as you ordered," one of them says.

You climb up the gangplank to board the strange vessel. The deck actually looks like a fairly normal ship deck, albeit a small one, aside from the fact that there is no sail and you can see some strange wing-like appendages sticking up over the side. The Lieutenant starts leading you down through a stairwell and below decks. "Welcome aboard the Dragon Eye. She's a Dragon Fly class Spelljammer ship. Doubtless you have no idea what I'm talking about, but suffice to say she's capable of more things then you can imagine. For now though, she's going to get us out of this siege and to Durnlan."

The hallways are narrow, and he briefly shows you the bunks where you can all bed down during the flight. You then arrive at the forward-most room, where the only object is a large chair in the center. "This is the helm. I'll be in here piloting the ship, and it's vital I'm not disturbed. The two crewman can help you with anything you need. Now, if you'll make yourselves comfortable, we should make the city before daylight."

With that the mage sits down in the chair and takes firm hold of the arms. His eyes shut and his body seems to slacken, though it holds its position in the seat. Suddenly a faint hum permeates the ship, and the floor lurches beneath your feet. A quick look out the forward portal shows you rising swiftly in to the air above the castle, then coming about and heading for the mainland. Just then one of the two Knights from the gangplank addresses you from the doorway: "Any questions, or anything I can do for you on the ride?"

Noldruk
2007-11-19, 02:57 PM
Kellin

'First, I'd like to know what we're supposed to find out about these folks.. he didn't really specify what sort of intel he wanted, and while I am sure we could all use our imagination to come up with a myriad of things he might want to know about, he didn't actually give us specifics. What can you tell us of our upcoming mission?' Kellin asks with a curious look. Pulling the knight to one side, Kellin then asks in a low tone, 'Yeah.. and I was actually wondering a bit about this craft.. what can you tell me of it's design, how it works, and so forth?'

Knowledge Arcana: [roll1]

demonllama
2007-11-19, 03:37 PM
Ruhidr

"As the lad says, we're going to look around, but we're not sure what for. Just evidence of why the draconians are attacking, an' perhaps more importantly, where did they come from?"

Giving in to his curiosity, his eyes wander back to the front view portal. "Also, are yers waiting for us to look around, or are we trying to meet back up at some point? Either way, how do we keep in touch with yerselves? Yers gonna follow us around in this ship or something?"

Continuing his study of the world from this altogether new vantage point, he remains silently thoughtful for a moment, then says "Did yers ever think about using this beauty t' hunt dragons?"

Just to see if he brainstorms up a use for using this ship to track/hunt dragons or their kin. Doesn't even have to be a fully fleshed out idea, but... something he might just want to try later.
[roll0]

Berand
2007-11-19, 04:35 PM
Round 70a

The Knight nods at your questions. "I'm sure I don't have to explain the value of knowledge to you folks when it comes to battle. Right now, all we have are rumors. They've actually been studying ways to establish reliable magical lines of communication between Castle Seraphim and Durnlan, which is what the Lieutenant will be working on. Then it's up to you to head west and get some reports back to us." He pauses to look everyone over.

"Crossing that desert isn't for the faint of heart. Fortunately we're on good terms with the government in Sanashim. If you catch a river boat west to the Lake, you can head in to Holy Sana and hook up with a caravan heading across the desert. I wouldn't try to cross alone if I were you, there are plenty of guides in the city that can make sure you make it alive."

"Once you're in to Toraland I don't know what to tell you. We're hoping to get you some intel in Durnlan before you leave, so you have some ideas of what to look for. Lord Tordinrak doesn't think the Draconians can get an assault together before summer's over. That means they'll likely spend the winter preparing, then move in the spring. Like I said, he's assigned us to Durnlan to facilitate communications. Once you get what you can together, make your way back to us."

The Knight takes his helmet off and runs his fingers through his hair, looking around. "As far as the Dragon Eye goes, I can't say I know much about it. The Lieutenant there," he says, nodding at the wizard sitting comatose in the chair, "is our resident expert on it. Lord Tordinrak and several of his companions acquired it somehow, before he took over as Lord-Commander. The mages were all oogling it when the Lord's companions left it at the castle some time ago. I don't think our mages had ever seen it either. They've been studying it ever since. Oh, and they have a much, much larger one down in the harbor that actually floats as well as flies that they've been calling the "Hammership". Everything is very hush-hush with them both - I only even know they fly because I was assigned to this trip." He shrugs.

Ruhidr:

You give everything a look over. You know almost nothing about ships, but you figure that doesn't matter much since this barely even fits the description of a ship. If the maneuverability you've seen so far from it is any indicator, you wouldn't be caught dead hunting a dragon in it. Or more specifically you would be caught dead, literally. Actually it might make a mean platform of war if you could stock it full with skilled wizards, although it's not big enough to hold more then five or six people comfortably, and the sightlines from the deck are hindered by the bug-like appendages. No, this thing seems more like a scouting craft to you.

Noldruk
2007-11-19, 04:51 PM
Kellin

Nodding along as the Knight speaks, Kellin continues the conversation. 'I'm also curious..' he adds, pausing briefly, 'has the commander not thought of actually routing these beasts? Rather than sit tight and try to last out their seige, why do we not gather forces and lead them back to hit them on two fronts?'

Glancing only briefly at the dwarves, he finall adds, 'I'm no expert tactician, like those two might be.. but, eh.. seems wrong to just sit back and let them build a force to reckon.'

Berand
2007-11-19, 04:56 PM
Round 70b

The Knight frowns. "Well, they don't make the exact numbers public as you might imagine, but I would guess there are 300-400 Knights in the Castle, with another 100-200 civilians. The scouts estimate well over 1000 Draconians now. They seem to be coming down from Batterstone Mountain. We don't have any word from Engoth, but the current operating assumption is that the city is locked down as well. They don't ask my opinion on those sorts of things though - you would have to talk to the Lord and his advisers for more."

Berand
2007-11-20, 10:47 AM
Round 71

After answering a few questions, the Knight excuses himself and heads back to his duties, whatever they may be. You all find your way to the bunks and get whatever rest you can.

A few hours later everyone is up and about, just before dawn. Faint pre-dawn light gives some illumination to the sprawling city beneath you. Situated at the branch where the South Honz River splits from the main Honz River, it is very much a port town. River traffic from Krusov in the south brings huge quantities of dwarven wares, traded down from the Hammer Clan, while desert wares come east out of Lake Honz, much of it on the way out to Battle Bay, where the cargo is transfered from river ships to ocean-going vessels in Gambrini, and from there sent out to the entire world. A heavily-fortified castle stands right on the river, the home of the government of Engoth. The city itself is many times larger then Engoth City back on the island, with all manner of structures scattered about. A bustling port is filled with river boats big and small. A much lower wall surrounds the edges of the city, with several gatehouses controlling traffic in and out. Smaller structures have even been built outside of the walls, creating sort of an inner and an outer city. Beyond that you see sprawling farms, irrigated from the river, not giving way to wilderness for many miles.

The ship glides in on the castle quickly, its passage partially masked by the mostly-darkened sky. It sets down in a grassy courtyard, where several surprised guards stare mutely. You get the impression they haven't seen anything like the Dragon Eye either. Their hands go to sword hilts, but the situation is diffused when the two Knights run up on deck and salute. Several other castle guards come running as the gangplank is lowered, escorting an elderly Knight of the Rose.

Lieutenant Bindar comes up from the helm, looking exhausted. He leads the way down the gangplank, with you and the other two Knights following. All the Knights salute the Knight of the Rose. "Greetings Sir," says Lieutenant Bindar. "We've come from Lord Tordinrak to file a report with the Council." He lowers his voice, sounding grim. "Castle Seraphim is besieged."

The Knight of the Rose, bearing the marks of a Commander, returns the salute and frowns at the report. "This is grim news. Lord Darin will need to hear of this, so save the rest. If you'll come with me..." With that he turns and leads the way toward the keep, the escort forming up around you. Introductions are given along the way, with the Knight of the Rose introducing himself as the head of security for the castle and the city. You're shown in to a huge chamber with a semi-circle of chairs against the far wall, presumably for the Council. At the top of the semi-circle is a larger throne, clearly for the Lord-General. At the moment the room is only occupied by guards, most in the armor of Knights of the Sword, but a few minutes later a side door opens and in walks an elderly man. He wears no armor, but is dressed in a silk tunic embroidered with a Sword, Crown and Rose on the front. Nearing 70, Lord Darin III has ruled the Knighthood for near 50 years, presiding over all the conflicts with the Bezandiam Empire. He nods at everyone, as he reads over the report given by Lieutenant Bindar. He asks a few questions, particularly about the Draconians, then sighs.

"We knew it was coming, but that doesn't make it any easier. And Lord-Commander Tordinrak sent you six to do some scouting, did he? Well, we have several others out attempting to do the same thing, but Tordinrak has faith in you, so a few more certainly wont hurt. There's very little we know so far. Our ambassador to Toraland was expelled along with his entourage several months ago. Since then Toraland has gone in to lock-down mode. Almost every source of information in or out has ceased, and there have been all sorts of reports of unnatural goings-on from sailors and travelers." He looks all of you over, clearly weighing you. "We do have several assets left in-country. Once you pass the desert make your way to Ingeldorf, a small village on the western shore of Lake Solace. We're running all the intel through our contact there, a man named Rugid. Tell him you're looking for the Dragon Rising Inn. There's no such place, but he'll know we sent you. He'll give you further instructions. Now," he says, turning to Lieutenant Bindar, "let's talk about the siege."

If you have questions for the Lord, ask away. If you want to leave and find things in town, you can buy almost everything in this city. Particularly dwarven items, which are in abundance. About the only things you may not find are some of the really exotic magic stuff. It's a huge city and major trade hub. Once everyone has posted, your best bet is to end your turn at the docks, where I'll pick up the next round. Unless the group decides not to take a river boat west, in which case post your alternative suggestions too.

Ruhidr:

Before you leave, Lord Darin pulls a small scroll out of his tunic and unrolls it, drawing a quill and writing something. He shows it to you. Inside, it says that you have official permission to disguise your standing as a Knight per your own judgment, up to and including covering or removing your armor and presenting yourself as a non-Knight to others during the course of your current assignment. It does state, however, that you agree to hide your status only when strictly necessary. It names you specifically, and Lord Darin tells you it will be filed away in the castles records, in case you should ever be called to question.

SandDemon
2007-11-20, 12:41 PM
Durgrin

Taking it upon himself to go hunting for some items, Durgrin makes his way down to the merchant area and buys and sells a few things....making it a point to find some dwarves and a temple to Reorx to pray at. Once finished, he'll gather with the others for the trip ahead.

Sold: warhammer and shield
Bought: bracers and gauntlets
Temple: look for any believers in Reorx, donate 10 platinum to the temple and try to find any Forgers for instruction on beginning the path

Noldruk
2007-11-20, 03:51 PM
Kellin

Approaching the Lord, Kellin again asks about the possibility of a pre-emptive strike to the beseiging draconians.

Ilhares
2007-11-21, 12:40 AM
Cilene

Finding she has no real concern about the present goings-on, since she assumes there will most assuredly be more fighting, Cilene decides to instead hit a few shops in town to hunt down some goods before heading to the docks. Unless chance presents itself beforehand, Cilene will begin discussing this draconian problem with Ruhidr, since he seems so zealous against dragonkind. Perhaps she'll learn something.

Marginally idle browsing, Cilene is seeking a couple things, though some possibly detrimental barter may be in order. At the top of the list is hunting down someplace that might have a quality mithril shirt. It's slightly better protection than her leather, and light enough that she should be able to hide it under "common" clothing. Got that crazy feeling it *might* be useful down the line.

2nd - interest in finding wizardly sort (any flavor, really, divine or non) that might be able to enchant her mace to give it the frost property. She hadn't anticipated facing so many lizardfolk, but assumes since reptiles in general do not like the cold, it can't hurt.

Yes, to afford both, she may well have to barter off her leathers, possibly even the shield, though she knows damn well the shield can fetch a superior price just due to it's material.

Sirrion
2007-11-22, 10:07 AM
Torkai

Not really interested in browsing for goods, Torkai immediately heads down to the docks where he looks for a nearby tavern to sit outside and watch the traffic.

It will be good to be back on board a ship.. A REAL ship again.

Standard rolls here (and yes, I know they are gonna suck :P):

Listen: [roll1]

demonllama
2007-11-27, 04:14 PM
Ruhidr

Shrugging at the curt dismissal, Ruhidr heads out for the docks. In passing, he nods to Cilene and says he'll be more than happy to talk about draconians with someone who appears to hitting them with her mace as much as she does, as soon as she makes it down to the docks. Continuing on his way, he wanders around for a bit, attempting to absorb any information he can before meeting up with Torkai to wait for the others.

Standard rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

And, just for kicks...
[roll3]

tehsnarf
2007-11-28, 01:13 PM
Coignar

Not interested in doing anything alone, but not really having anything in mind to do in the immediate future, Coignar walks with Cilene, keeping her company as well as keeping an eye out.

Berand
2007-11-28, 03:06 PM
Round 72

Durgrin

You do find a Temple of Reorx in town, though it's fairly small. The priest inside tells you that it was erected mainly so that traveling dwarven merchants and the like would have a place to worship properly. There isn't a large population of dwarves that actually live in the city, most are in and out on work. He does know several Forgers of Reorx, but they're rarely in one place for long, the nature of their abilities making them much more transient then your average smith, and he doesn't know where they might be now. He does point you toward several dwarven smiths and merchants in town, which is how you find your dwarven-made goods for purchase.

Kellin

The Lord just shakes his head and tells you that he has no more knowledge of the situation then what you've just told him, but that he trusts Tordinrak's tactical skills.

Cilene

You can absolutely find a mithril shirt, dwarven-made mithril items are in abundance. Mithril is only mined in a few places in the world, and the only one anywhere near this region is the Hammer Clan Mines. Thus, the city is full of exports. Just go by the prices in the DMs guide and buy what you want. You also find some mages that could enchant your mace for you, but it would take more time then you have right now. Multiple days at a minimum.

Torkai

You find an tavern to your liking at the docks, where you set about drinking and surveying the area. There is a huge shipyard to the west end of town where the skeletal frames of partially-completed boats sit propped up on blocks. Any number of vessels can be seen docked in the regular slips, everything from small 20-foot fishing boats to 100-foot long merchant ships. To your trained eye, you can tell they're all designed for river and off-shore use, with bluff bottoms that don't draw much water. They would be very poorly-suited for open-ocean work. All the usual types found in harbors are around.

Ruhidr

Most of the news you hear is of the regular sort people in any city talk about, but it's peppered with speculation about what's going on to the west in Toraland. Most of what you hear revolves around them closing their ports to entry and evicting any known foreigners. Engothian citizens are, by and large, suspicious of westerners. Even the desert folk from Sana, who are allies with the Knights, are viewed as being shifty and untrustworthy. Being from the desert yourself and thus familiar with the people of Sanashim, you recognize that it's likely due to simple cultural misunderstandings that crop up in any situation like this.

Coignar

In your casual observances, you recognize the presence of an active thieves guild in town. At least twice in the crowed you catch the eye of a likely pick-pocket and warn them off with a stare and a little shake of the head. Mostly they recognize the bearing of another thief, and you're not troubled.

Everyone

You all return from your various wanderings around town and meet up with Torkai at the docks. A quick survey leaves you with several options:

1. Pay for passage on a nice passenger ship heading west on the River Honz. It'll cost you 30 gold each, plus 50 for each horse and includes all room and board. It'll get you to Ulmin in 2 days. An additional 5 gold each and a half-days travel and you can stay on while it crosses Lake Honz and docks in Holy Sana. You'll have nice private quarters on the way.

2. There's a cargo ship heading west as well, going to Ulmin and Holy Sana. When they learn Torkai is a sailor, they offer to take the lot of you for 5 gold each, provided Torkai helps work the lines and whatnot on the trip. They have a cargo hold full of livestock, and so wont even charge for your horses. However, the ship stops at several villages along the way, and they estimate it will take 4 days to reach Ulmin. If you want to go on to Holy Sana it's another 1 gold each, plus a half-days travel. You'll be stuck in communal bunks instead of private quarters.

3. You could sign on with a caravan heading west to Ulmin. It's a good 250 miles however. Even if you sign on to a caravan that runs light and provides fast horses for everyone, you're still looking a good three weeks travel, assuming there aren't any problems on the way. If you can find a caravan that needs guards, you might even get paid for it. If not, you may have to pay a bit to tag along under the caravan's protection. Also, you'll still be stuck with booking passage from Ulmin to Holy Sana once you arrive.

4. If you wanted to run by yourselves and real light, and buy everyone horses that doesn't already have them, you could make it over land in two weeks max. But you would be by yourselves, and again stuck with booking passage from Ulmin to Holy Sana once you arrived.

Ilhares
2007-11-28, 04:15 PM
Cilene

"Well, I can't speak for the rest of you, but I've certainly had enough of the rough trail ride for a few days, though if we can get paid for it, I'm flexible. I rather like the idea of booking on the cargo ship, as it will let us gather news from multiple sources along the way."

Noldruk
2007-11-28, 10:22 PM
Kellin

Nodding along with Cilene's suggestion, Kellin agrees with her idea. 'You're right.. and besides, it's cheap.'

Moving to stand near Torkai, he smiles at him and adds, 'Lead the way, Skipper.'

Sirrion
2007-11-29, 10:30 AM
Torkai

Grinning all around at the thought of working aboard a ship, even if it was a cargo ship, Torkai says to the party "Let's take the cargo ship. It may take slightly longer, but it will be a nice change in pace from what we've been doing anyway. Plus, I wouldn't mind getting my sea legs back by staying on the ship a bit longer."

"I think 5 gold is a bit much for my passage seeing as how I will be working with you. Plus, I doubt you have seen a quicker hand with the ropes. You'll quickly see how great a boon I am to the ship and her crew. Surely you can waive my passage fee." he says to the Captain of the cargo ship.

Making a bluff check to see if I can get my boarding fee waived:
Bluff: [roll0]

Also, that assumes that we are going on the cargo ship. If we choose the other ship, I will offer to work and try to get my fee waived there instead.

demonllama
2007-11-29, 02:06 PM
Ruhidr

Thinking dour and grim thoughts about the boat travel ahead, Ruhidr nods grudgingly. "I agree with Mags. My vote for the cargo ship, as well."

What is with these people an' their insatiable need to keep their feet off the ground as much as possible, anyway? Best make sure we keep someone on watch, though, while the others're sleeping.

To get this out of the way:
[roll0]
[roll1]

And I'm using Detect Evil on the captain while we negotiate, and I'll be checking out all the crew members and the cargo during the copious free time I'll have while I'm not helping to man the ship. Since it only takes 6 seconds to determine the presence or absence of evil in an area, I should be able to handle this with no problem :P

tehsnarf
2007-11-29, 05:01 PM
Coignar

"Hey, I'm cheap and easy to please. Whatever works, works. Let's get this going soon, though, the sooner the better."

SandDemon
2007-11-29, 08:13 PM
Durgrin

Stretching out his arms as he looks around the docks, he nods in agreement with Coignar. "The sooner the better, either way. Let's head out"

Berand
2007-11-30, 12:33 AM
Round 73

The decision made, the group hustles aboard the cargo ship for the trip. The captain grumbles a bit at Torkai's bargaining, but seeing as he doesn't have any other passengers and is about ready to ship off, he agrees to not charge Torkai. Ruhidr doesn't notice anything unusual when he concentrates on the crew and the ship.

You're shown to quarters - a big room in the stern that contains five bunk beds. There are only two other passengers on board, both merchants heading to the first village the ship will stop at tonight.

The trip is pretty routine for the first day. Torkai spends it doing some line work with the other sailors, and learning a bit about how navigating in a river differs from the open ocean. There are only four other crewmen, plus the captain. The rest of you idly relax and nap or meditate or study or whatever floats your boat. So to speak. You pass multiple other ships along the route.

Before nightfall the ship anchors in a small inlet near a village the name of which you didn't catch, and the two other passengers disembark in a small rowed tender with some cargo. The inlet is on the north side bank, the village is on the south. The river is maybe 200' wide at this point, and the ship is maybe 30' from the north shore. Beyond the north bank, incredibly dense forest rises up leading eventually to the huge swamp in the north of Engoth.

Heeding Ruhidr's suggestion, it's agreed to keep a watch at night. With six of you it's determined that three will go the first night, and three the second night. Cilene watches first, due to her need for less sleep. She's relieved a few hours later by Coignar so she can go meditate. Everyone is sleeping soundly.

Coignar:

Everything is silent aside from the quiet lapping of water against the hull. You're sitting in a chair outside the door to the bunk room, which is now occupied by only your party. There are no other doors in or out, though a 1' diameter portal looks outside. The door is closed, with the narrow hallway extending left and right. Across from you are doors leading down to the cargo areas. To the left is the crews quarters, and across from that is the mess hall and kitchen. The captain's quarters lie to your right, at the base of the small stairway that leads up to the deck. The only light is from the moon filtering down the stairs - no one leaves anything burning unattended on a boat - but your eyes are well-adjusted to the dim light by now. Three crewmen and the captain are sleeping, the other crewman is up on deck with the watch.

Some time around 2am, shortly before your watch is due to end, you hear a shuffle and thump up on the deck. It could be the night watch moving lines about or something. The poor guy is probably as bored as you are...

Your move.

tehsnarf
2007-11-30, 03:08 PM
Coignar

Curious as to what the noise was, Coignar gets up from his chair and heads to investigate.

Heading in to the shadows, moving silently, and looking for whatever I can. I figure if I get in to trouble, I can start screaming like a little girl with a skinned knee, and hope someone hears.

Move silently : [roll0]
Hide : [roll1]

Listen : [roll2]
Spot : [roll3]

Now, let's find out what the hell is going on up there...

Berand
2007-11-30, 06:33 PM
Round 74

Coignar:

You move down the hallway toward the stairs to the deck, sticking to the contours of the wall and walking as silently as you can. You don't have your sea legs though, and a slight swell of the boat causes your foot to come down harder then you had hoped with a soft thump. You freeze in place, attempting to blend in with the door frame to the captain's room. You turn your head very slowly and look up at the open deck. It's a very dim night, though stars light up the background faintly. Tendrils of fog roll thickly over the deck, obscuring much. You're able to spot a dark shape as it moves over the entrance. It's humanoid, and it seems awfully large to you, but it's hard to judge in the dark.

The dark shape, discernible mainly as it blots out the stars behind it, holds in place at the top of the stairs. Its head tilts to one side, and you get the impression of someone straining to see in the dark. Spotting nothing, it turns and moves silently away from the entrance and out of your sight. It could be the night watchman on deck, but when the figure turned to move off you got the distinct impression that the shape was feminine. Besides Cilene, there are definitely no women on this ship.

You don't hear another sound from the deck, and all you see is thickening fog blotting out the stars. Just then the scent of rotten vegetation washes over you, reminding you clearly of the fetid waters of a swamp.

tehsnarf
2007-11-30, 06:46 PM
Coignar

Not taking any chances, mostly because he's no hero, Coignar attempts to slink his way back to the bunkroom, in an attempt to get some reinforcements.

Sneaking back to the room to atleast wake Cilene up, since I'm sure it's been longer than her required 4 hours of rest. Once I get to her woken up, I'm going to get try waking everyone else and warning them of what's going on.

Move Silently : [roll0]
Hide : [roll1]

Spot : [roll2]
Listen : [roll3]

Berand
2007-11-30, 07:17 PM
Round 75

Coignar:

You make it back to the room without noticing anything else, although the tendrils of fog seem to be seeping ethereally down the stairway from the deck now. You silently enter the bunk room, and start waking people up.

Everyone else:

You're woken with a silent shake from Coignar. As your eyes come open, you immediately catch the tense feeling coming from him. The boat is dead silent, and unlit aside from the faint starlight filtering in from the little portal.

SandDemon
2007-11-30, 07:26 PM
Durgrin

This better be good! Getting up slowly, he looks for some sort of feedback from Coignar on why he was awaken so quietly. He grabs his weapon and just sits up waiting for some sort of instruction from Coignar.