PDA

View Full Version : Boros guild Pyromancer?!

Foxydono
2018-11-10, 08:08 AM
So, how would you build one? What race or feats would you take? Let's say the other party members are well balanced, so you can focus on blasting :)

Unoriginal
2018-11-10, 08:28 AM
This is a Ravnica thing, right?

What should a Boros guild Pyromancer be able to do?

Foxydono
2018-11-10, 08:41 AM
This is a Ravnica thing, right?

What should a Boros guild Pyromancer be able to do?
Yes and it should burn things to the ground! Should be specialized in fire spells since it can negate fire resistance and it can even bypass immunity, making it resistance instead at lvl 18. You also get some nice bonus spells from Boros guild.

Teaguethebean
2018-11-10, 03:53 PM
Pheonix or Divine soul Sorcerer Elemental Adept fire lots of fire spells if Divine soul guiding bolt, and other support stuff

qube
2018-11-10, 04:07 PM
Sorcadin (muticlass Paladin / Divine soul sorcerer)

After all, the guild is called the "Boros Legion". The paladin goes great as knight archetype

Asmotherion
2018-11-10, 04:38 PM
Actual Blaster (as in AoE Damage Dealer?) or Magic User Ranged Damage Dealer? Or just "Fire Element Mage User Theme, and I don't really care about the rest".

'Cause there is a huge diference. One can give you an Evocation Wizard focused on Fireball and wall spells, a Sorcerer/Warlock who uses Eldritch Balst and Dragon's Breath as his main weapons (and has a familiar) or many other builds. But you have to know what you're looking for.

Foxydono
2018-11-10, 05:09 PM
Actual Blaster (as in AoE Damage Dealer?) or Magic User Ranged Damage Dealer? Or just "Fire Element Mage User Theme, and I don't really care about the rest".

'Cause there is a huge diference. One can give you an Evocation Wizard focused on Fireball and wall spells, a Sorcerer/Warlock who uses Eldritch Balst and Dragon's Breath as his main weapons (and has a familiar) or many other builds. But you have to know what you're looking for.
A blaster focused on fire spells, preferably a sorcerer. The Phoenix, Draconic or the Pyromancer origins would fit best :)

lunaticfringe
2018-11-10, 05:37 PM
Variant Human: Feat(Actor); Skill(Performance)
Background: Dimir Operative
Draconic Sorcerer X: Cap Charisma; Possible Feats-Elemental Adept(Fire), War Caster, Lucky.

Pretty much the same for Pyromancer but you can drop EA from feat consideration because it's kinda redundant. Personally I would go Sorcadin when choosing Pyro. The level one feature requires you to be w/in 10ft of enemies and Paladin levels make that a slightly less stupid idea. You could ignore it, but then it's a dead feature so why not go Draconic?

Foxydono
2018-11-10, 06:06 PM
Variant Human: Feat(Actor); Skill(Performance)
Background: Dimir Operative
Draconic Sorcerer X: Cap Charisma; Possible Feats-Elemental Adept(Fire), War Caster, Lucky.

Pretty much the same for Pyromancer but you can drop EA from feat consideration because it's kinda redundant. Personally I would go Sorcadin when choosing Pyro. The level one feature requires you to be w/in 10ft of enemies and Paladin levels make that a slightly less stupid idea. You could ignore it, but then it's a dead feature so why not go Draconic?

That's a good point. Well the pyromancer has, as far as I know, the only way to bypass fire immunity which is nice, especially at high levels. Multiclassing with paladin could work, but you would be forced into a smite character. On the other hand, draconic sorcerer and elemental adept is a nice combo that works well. Especially with flight on later levels.

To give a bit more context. The character was a former dragon cultists, who worshipped Klauth and was briefly part of the rise of Tiamat. But after the summoning failed and Klauth vanished (unsure whether he was defeated), he went adventuring. Obsessed with Dragons and fire he (or she) became a fire based sorcerer.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-10, 06:36 PM
Fair point on immunity. Suggesting Dimir was really just for funsies because when I used to play MtG Blue/Black was my jam. I also really enjoy playing a Spy.

If you took the Boros background w/Draconic you would have some Radiant options to throw around in case of immunity. Refluffing it as pure, white hot heat that burns through Immunity is do-able imo; if you were trying to diverge as little as possible from the fire theme.

qube
2018-11-11, 12:43 AM
Multiclassing with paladin could work, but you would be forced into a smite character.Actually, not really. I've played Sorcadin (muticlass Paladin / Divine soul sorcerer) before. You can still play it as a blaster. The paladin part of the multiclass gives you armor & weapon - making you able to burn through your spellslots and still be a force to be reckon'd with (after all, you're perfectly geared for greenflame blade).
(not like those other "oh no, I need to save a few slots for shield, ..." weaklings)

Plus, you say smiting as though that's a bad thing: His flames burn brighter then that of any run in the mill pyromancer, he's even able to damage fire elementals (a.k.a. smiting is a solid backup, as radiant damage burns 100% through fire immunity)

Foxydono
2018-11-11, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=qube;23497746]Actually, not really. I've played Sorcadin (muticlass Paladin / Divine soul sorcerer) before. You can still play it as a blaster. The paladin part of the multiclass gives you armor & weapon - making you able to burn through your spellslots and still be a force to be reckon'd with (after all, you're perfectly geared for greenflame blade).
(not like those other "oh no, I need to save a few slots for shield, ..." weaklings)

Plus, you say smiting as though that's a bad thing: His flames burn brighter then that of any run in the mill pyromancer, he's even able to damage fire elementals (a.k.a. smiting is a solid backup, as radiant damage burns 100% through fire immunity)[/QUOT
I've looked at the options and if I decide to play a socradin, I'll probably go 18 Sorcerer / 2 paladin with Strength to avoid MAD. However, the character would need to be strength based getting warcaster, 20 str and 20 chat. You only have 4 ASI and since you can't get warcaster as first feat as a Paladin this will be a problem :). I could perhaps talk to the DM to lift the restriction though.

I could also start with sorcerer, but than you have to go dex, which requires 13 dex. It's something to think about though. It would probably make for a more versatile character. Of course 6 paladin / 14 sorcerer is also viable, but this would make it more melee focused and less caster, which is the main theme of a pyromancer, at least in my eyes.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-11, 11:16 AM
Eh 18 in your weapon attack stat should be more than sufficient. There is a difficulty cap of 30 baked into the system. Highest AC I have seen is 27 and that belongs to Tiamat, a goddess. And if iirc you can lower that fairly easily by completing objectives presented in the module. Heck most of the Demon Lords & Archdevils are AC 20 or below and the Tarrasque has an AC of 25.

Asensur
2018-11-11, 11:24 AM
Human Sorcerer (with the Pyromancer subclass of Planeshift Kaladesh). If you use the Variant Human take a feat to carry a soldier armour.

Pick the boros guild background and you're done.

Sigreid
2018-11-11, 12:38 PM
So I'm not seeing anything in there about bypassing resistance and immunity. What am I missing?

Asensur
2018-11-11, 01:00 PM
So I'm not seeing anything in there about bypassing resistance and immunity. What am I missing?

Pyromancer subclass from plane shift kaladesh achieves it.

I think its safe to put it here as it is a free supplement http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/plane-shift-kaladesh

Sorcerous Origin: Pyromancer
Your innate magic manifests in fire. You are your fire, and your
fire is you.

Heart of Fire
At 1st level, whenever you start casting a spell of 1st level or
higher that deals fire damage, fiery magic erupts from you. This
eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within
10 feet of you to take fire damage equal to half your sorcerer level
(minimum of 1).

Fire in the Veins
At 6th level, you gain resistance to fire damage. In addition, spells
you cast ignore resistance to fire damage.

Pyromancer’s Fury
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit by a melee attack, you can
use your reaction to deal fire damage to the attacker. The damage
equals your sorcerer level, and ignores resistance to fire damage.

Fiery Soul
At 18th level, you gain immunity to fire damage. In addition, any
spell or effect you create ignores resistance to fire damage and
treats immunity to fire damage as resistance to fire damage.

Sigreid
2018-11-11, 01:08 PM
Pyromancer subclass from plane shift kaladesh achieves it.

I think its safe to put it here as it is a free supplement http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/plane-shift-kaladesh

Sorcerous Origin: Pyromancer
Your innate magic manifests in fire. You are your fire, and your
fire is you.

Heart of Fire
At 1st level, whenever you start casting a spell of 1st level or
higher that deals fire damage, fiery magic erupts from you. This
eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within
10 feet of you to take fire damage equal to half your sorcerer level
(minimum of 1).

Fire in the Veins
At 6th level, you gain resistance to fire damage. In addition, spells
you cast ignore resistance to fire damage.

Pyromancer’s Fury
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit by a melee attack, you can
use your reaction to deal fire damage to the attacker. The damage
equals your sorcerer level, and ignores resistance to fire damage.

Fiery Soul
At 18th level, you gain immunity to fire damage. In addition, any
spell or effect you create ignores resistance to fire damage and
treats immunity to fire damage as resistance to fire damage.

Thanks. Not being into MtG (Only played it at all for about a month in the mid 90's) I didn't know Kaladesh and Ravenica were related.

Prince Vine
2018-11-11, 01:44 PM
They aren't but the concept of pyromancer is not really setting specific.