PDA

View Full Version : Does this work

Hunterx
2018-11-10, 07:50 PM
Does this work the way I think it does

Cleric 1. Marshal 1

Turn undead check 1D20+Cha
Cha 20- 18(plus a cloak of charisma +2) (+5)
Motivate Charisma aura (+5)
Cloak of persuasion (+3)
Consecrate spell (+3)
Nymphs Kiss (+2)
= 1D20 +18
( is there away to increase this by 3 more aside from going cloak of charisma 6)

Cleric levels: 1+4 from 22+turn check
5 from check plus cleric 1
Ephoul of Authority (1)
Phylactery of undead turning (+3)
Sacred armour (+2)
Sacred shield (+2)
Glory domain (+1)
Rod of defiance (-4 to undead HD) so a (+4)
=18
Any ways to increase cleric levels aside from taking more cleric levels

Turn damage 2D6+cleric level+Cha
Is it 2D6+18+5 as in the effective cleric level or is it
2D6+1+5
Is there away to raise damage any higher aside from adding cleric levels and Cha

Bronk
2018-11-10, 09:07 PM
Optimizing Turn Undead (TU)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead

Times per day: Charisma modifier +3

Maximum level of undead to be turned = cleric level

Turning Check: 1d20 + Charisma modifier, a check that modifies your effective cleric level from -4 to level +4

Turning Damage: 2d6 + cleric level + Charisma modifier

Items to Increase Uses of Turn Undead:
Nightstick: possession grants 4 more untyped uses of turn or rebuke undead per day (LM, 7500 gold)

Items To Boost Charisma Check:
Cloak of Charisma +2, +4, or +6: enhancement bonus to charisma (DMG/SRD, 4000/16000/36000 gold)
Circlet of Persuasion: +3 competence bonus to charisma based checks (DMG/SRD, 4500 gold)
Admiral’s Bicorne: +5 untyped bonus to charisma based checks + other effects (Stormwrack, 51000 gold)

Items To Boost Or Aid Turning Level:
Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol: +1 turning level, untyped (Eberron Campaign Setting, 750 gold)
Ephod of Authority: +1 untyped bonus to cleric level for TU (TU only) (MIC, 800 gold)
Talisman of Undead Mastery: up to +4 turning level, untyped, for one check, 3 charges total (MIC, 3000 gold)
Rod of Defiance: -4 untyped penalty to HD to nearby undead for TU or rebuking + other effects (MIC 7312 gold)
Moonfriend Ring: TU as if three levels higher (not for rebuking) (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, 9000 gold)
Scepter of the Netherworld: +3 cleric level for TU, untyped (MIC, 9000 gold)
Phylactery of Undead Turning: +4 untyped bonus to effective cleric level for TU (DMG/SRD, 11000 gold)
Sacred Shield: +2 untyped bonus to effective cleric level for turning or rebuking undead (BoED, +2 bonus)
Sacred Armor: +2 untyped bonus to effective cleric level for turning or rebuking undead (BoED, +2 bonus)
Darkskull: mobile unhallow effect (see below), always active, not a worn item (DMG/SRD, 60000 gold)
Redeemed Darkskull: Mobile hallow effect (see below), always active, not a worn item (BoED, 60000 gold)

Relevant Domains:
Glory Domain: +2 untyped bonus to turning check, +1d6 untyped bonus to turning damage roll (SpC)
Sun Domain: Use a TU attempt as a Greater Turning once per day (PHB/SRD)
Undeath Domain: gain Extra Turning as a bonus feat (see below) (SpC)

Spells That Boost Charisma Checks:
Eagle’s Splendor: 2nd level cleric, +4 enhancement bonus to charisma
Related: charisma boosting spells from other classes, such as Sirine's Grace, Nixie's Grace, or Snowsong

Spells That Boost Turning Level:
Consecrate: 2nd level cleric, +3 sacred bonus to turn undead within area, +6 if an altar (etc.) is present (PHB/SRD)
Desecrate: 2nd level cleric, -3/-6 profane penalty to turn undead as consecrate, but no help to rebuking (PHB/SRD)
Light of Wisdom: 3rd level cleric, +1 untyped bonus to effective cleric level for turn undead per 3 caster levels, uncapped (Complete Champion)
Hallow: 5th level cleric/druid, +4 sacred bonus to charisma checks for turn undead within area (PHB/SRD)
Unhallow: 5th level cleric/druid, -4 untyped penalty to turn undead, +4 profane bonus to rebuke undead (PHB/SRD)

Skill Synergy Bonuses To Turning Checks:
Knowledge Religion: 5 ranks in the skill grants a +2 untyped bonus to turning checks

Feats:
Nymph’s Kiss: +2 circumstance bonus to charisma checks, + other effects (BoED)
Improved Turning: +1 untyped bonus to effective cleric level for turning undead (adds to level and turning damage but not turning checks) (PHB/SRD)
Divine Energy Focus: +2 untyped bonus to effective cleric level for turning undead, turning checks, and turning damage (Ghostwalk)
Empower Turning: multiply base turning damage by 1.5 (Libris Mortis, Complete Divine)
Extra Turning: +4 turn or rebuke attempts to each pool the character has, stacks with itself (PHB/SRD)

Bonuses Derived From ACFs (Alternate Class Features) or Other Classes:
Marshal: ‘Motivate Charisma’ minor aura, adds marshal’s charisma modifier to charisma checks and charisma based skill checks, obtainable at marshal level 1 (Miniatures Handbook)
Lightbringer Bard: (Bard ACF) grants +2 untyped bonus to turning related checks, replaces inspire competence music ability (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft)
Sacred Exorcist: a prestige class that grants TU at level 1, also stacks with cleric levels for turn undead. Also gains a movable ‘consecrate’ effect centered on the character at level 5. (Complete Divine)
Hymn of Praise: (Bard 3 spell) +4 sacred bonus to charisma for TU, -4 sacred penalty to rebuking (SpC)
Infernal Threnody: (Bard 3 spell) +4 profane bonus to charisma for rebuking, -4 profane penalty to TU (SpC)
Seek Eternal Rest: (Paladin 3 spell) effective cleric level for TU equals paladin level (SpC)
Bloodline Levels: (Unearthed Arcana) each level would raise your effective cleric level for turning by one

Related:
Divine feats that are powered by uses of turn undead such as divine metamagic, using Rebuke Dragons with Sacred Exorcist to gain two pools of turning/rebuking, both of which are independently raised by the Extra Turning feat.

Does this work the way I think it does

Cleric 1. Marshal 1

Turn undead check 1D20+Cha
Cha 20- 18(plus a cloak of charisma +2) (+5)
Motivate Charisma aura (+5)
Cloak of persuasion (+3)
Consecrate spell (+3)
Nymphs Kiss (+2)
= 1D20 +18
( is there away to increase this by 3 more aside from going cloak of charisma 6)

Okay, so it's a circlet of persuasion for +3.

There's also a much more expensive item called the 'Admiral's Bicorne' from Stormwrack that, along with some other things, grants +5 to charisma checks (both are head slots).

Replacing the Cloak of Charisma +2 with a Cloak of Charisma +6 will only get you two higher. (these cloaks grant enhancement bonuses)

But, the spell 'Consecrate' could be a +6 instead of a +3 if you cast it in an area with an altar (or equivalent) to your god in it. On the other hand, it's a cleric level 2 spell that a first level cleric can't cast yet.

There's also the 'Improved Turning' feat for +1, and the 'Divine Energy Focus' feat for +2.

5 from check plus cleric 1
Ephoul of Authority (1)
Phylactery of undead turning (+3)
Sacred armour (+2)
Sacred shield (+2)
Glory domain (+1)
Rod of defiance (-4 to undead HD) so a (+4)
=18
Any ways to increase cleric levels aside from taking more cleric levels

The Phylactery of Undead turning grants +4, not +3, so there's a bonus.

Slight typo up there, Ephod of Authority instead of Ephoul.

More items:
Talisman of Undead Mastery (MIC, held item, 3 charges): up to +4 turning level
Scepter of the Netherworld (MIC, held item): +3 turning level (Described as a ‘plain steel baton’)
Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol (item): +1 turning level (Eberron)
Moonfriend ring: Turn undead as if three levels higher (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft)

There's a third level cleric spell 'Light of Wisdom' that grants a +1 bonus to turning level per 3 caster levels.

There's also the 'Improved Turning' feat for +1, and the 'Divine Energy Focus' feat for +2.

Turn damage 2D6+cleric level+Cha
Is it 2D6+18+5 as in the effective cleric level or is it
2D6+1+5
Is there away to raise damage any higher aside from adding cleric levels and Cha

Unless the item, feat, spell, or whatever specifies otherwise, anything that says it raises your effective turning level (or cleric level for turning, etc.) counts towards this calculation.

There's the 'Empower Turning' feat, that's a 1.5 multiplier on the base damage.

The Glory Domain also grants +1d6 to turning damage (Spell Compendium).

Edit: The 'Improved Turning' and 'Divine Energy Focus' feats grant their bonuses to all three things... Also, not super helpful to your build, but there's a Lightbringer Bard Alternate Class Feature (ACF) from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft that grants a +2 bonus to turning related things and replaces Inspire Competence music ability (no bonus type, but the ACF is both supernatural and mind-affecting).

weckar
2018-11-10, 09:24 PM
Could you list the bonus types for reference?

Bronk
2018-11-10, 09:28 PM
Could you list the bonus types for reference?

I think everything's untyped, and count as 'bonuses from different sources' (Edit: Definite exception for the Cloak of Charisma, which is an enhancement bonus). (I'm copying from some character notes, so I'm not positive.) I'm packing for a vacation, but I'll try to get to it at some point!

Hunterx
2018-11-11, 10:02 AM
OK if I'm reading this right a cleric 1 with glory domain and improved turning turns as a level 3 cleric.

Bronk
2018-11-11, 04:42 PM
OK if I'm reading this right a cleric 1 with glory domain and improved turning turns as a level 3 cleric.

The Glory Domain doesn't grant +1 to turning level, just +2 to the turning check and +1d6 turning damage, so your example would turn as a +2 cleric with some bonuses.

Hunterx
2018-11-12, 02:49 PM
Ok I think I have found what I'm looking for but I just want be sure I have this correct.

Level 4 Illumiun cleric 3/ Marshal 1 with vaul Sigil and glory domain and improved Sigil feat should be as follows (char 18 base)

Turn checks: 1D20+Cha
1D20+(+4 Cha)+ (+4 motivate Cha)+(+2 glory)+(+3 improved Sigil) for 13 or a minimum of 14 which gives only 8 to cover to get max number to cleric level. Which in this case would be at max level 7 cleric.

Now does the Sigil tie into the cleric levels as well?

If not would it tie into the damage as would the aura?

As you can all see trying to get the max number of HD turntable I can, the check seems to be the easy one to boost. It is the cleric levels and damage that are the hard ones. Aside from exulted turning and empower turning.

Bronk
2018-11-23, 12:26 PM
Ok I think I have found what I'm looking for but I just want be sure I have this correct.

Level 4 Illumiun cleric 3/ Marshal 1 with vaul Sigil and glory domain and improved Sigil feat should be as follows (char 18 base)

Turn checks: 1D20+Cha
1D20+(+4 Cha)+ (+4 motivate Cha)+(+2 glory)+(+3 improved Sigil) for 13 or a minimum of 14 which gives only 8 to cover to get max number to cleric level. Which in this case would be at max level 7 cleric.

Your math adds up here, although from what I can see you intend to use the 'Enhanced Power Sigils' feat, rather than one of the improved sigil feats.

The Vaul power sigil grants an untyped charisma bonus of +1, which rises to +2 already when you hit the second level of any class and get a second power sigil. The 'Enhanced Power Sigil' feat only bumps that up from a +2 to a +3, so if you're set on being an Illumian, you'd be better off with the 'Divine Energy Focus' feat, which will give you +2 to your cleric level for turning, +2 to turning check rolls, and +2 to turning damage.

That would leave you with:
Turn check: 1D20+ 4 Cha + 4 motivate Cha + 2 glory + 2 improved Sigil +2 divine energy focus feat, for 14 or a minimum of 15 which gives only 7 to cover to get max number to cleric level, which in this case would be at max level 9 cleric.

Then you could augment that further with magic items, or the L2 Consecrate spell. (You could also try taking a flaw at first level for an extra feat, to be used on the 'Improved Turning' feat.)

Now does the Sigil tie into the cleric levels as well?

If not would it tie into the damage as would the aura?

As you can all see trying to get the max number of HD turntable I can, the check seems to be the easy one to boost. It is the cleric levels and damage that are the hard ones. Aside from exulted turning and empower turning.

The sigil only adds charisma, and that would not tie into cleric level directly (just by influencing the turning check that gives you a bonus or penalty to your cleric level). It does tie into both the turning check and the turning damage, which are both charisma dependent.

Turning Check: 1d20 + charisma mod
Turning Damage: 2d6 + cleric level + charisma mod

Crake
2018-11-23, 05:05 PM
You guys keep forgetting the +2 synergy bonus on turning checks for having 5 ranks in knowledge religion. Pretty easy little boost to your turning check right there.

Bronk
2018-11-23, 10:35 PM
You guys keep forgetting the +2 synergy bonus on turning checks for having 5 ranks in knowledge religion. Pretty easy little boost to your turning check right there.

Thanks for the addition! At some point, I'll clean up my first post and include that.

Edit: I've updated my first post, hopefully it's more helpful now.