PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need idea for Paladin magic item

Benny89
2018-11-10, 08:38 PM
So I want to create a magic item that gives Paladin +1 spell slot to 4th and 5th level spells. So overall 2 extra slots. But I am looking for some interesting ideas for it, instead of just "Holy Ring of Redemption +2 to slots, cause holy".

I can even be a weapon, I don't mind. But I am out of idea how to make this item interesting so it's not just pure math boost.

Any ideas welcome.

Louro
2018-11-10, 10:26 PM
Paladin of what?
These are weird days in wich paladins don't need to follow a god anymore :(

Ring of +2 spells slots. The slots refill when the pally saves a life (or whatever that fills his God goddiness)

AttilatheYeon
2018-11-10, 11:26 PM
Flail of smiting: this +2 flail when used to smite undead/fiends can as a bonus action refresh a 4th or 5th level paladin spell as a bonus action. This ability can refresh on a long rest. Legendary weapon requires attunement.

Sindal
2018-11-11, 01:43 AM
How about...

-Crown of the herald-
"This silver, threatded crown seems both ancient in it's design and new to age with how perfectly it has 'stood' the test of it's own time. It was said to have been worn by Ramadul, high king of -insert place here- and all those who witnessed him were charmed by his regal statue. Many worshiped him as a god, even when he asked them not to. They tried, but the feats he performed were nothing other than miracles in the eyes of mortals."

'Requires attunement'
Druid,Cleric or Paladin required

This crown is imbued with the will of the good king Ramadul's will to rule by servitude. Everyday, you may choose to have the crown absorb the cost of 1-4th level and 1-5th level spell. To do this, the wielder must yell "FOR...<blank>" replacing blank with who they serve (spells that do not usually have a verbal component now do). This can be anything from a god, a homeland, family, a dear one or a collective peoples. A ghostly white figure appears each time a spell is cast this way and aids in it's casting.

e.g
(if using smite, the ghost appears and delivers a second blow to cause the extra damage)
(If using something like a buff, the ghost appears and lets out inspiring speech)
(If healing, the ghost appears and heals instead)

It regains charges of 4th and 5th spell absorption every dawn.

jdolch
2018-11-11, 01:46 PM
Step 1: Give the Paladin 2 extra spell slots.

Step 2: Watch the Paladin multiclass into Sorcerer.

Step 3: Watch helplessly as he grows in power.

Step 4: Try to challenge him and accidentally kill other PCs in the process.

Step 5: Start a thread on how the Paladin is OP and how to nerf it.

:smallbiggrin:

Haldir
2018-11-11, 02:00 PM
2 more top level spells. That's an insane power boost for a top-tier class.

I like magical tunics (for that Crusader feel).

Censers are cool divine-esque items that don't get a lot of love.

A ribbon or heraldic symbol that attaches to the hilt or shaft of a weapon.

The idea of blessed charms was quite common during different periods of the European Medieval and Early Ren. on which the Paladin finds it's roots. The finger bones of a Saint were a common "scam" item. Teeth, clothes, bones, tools, and utensils that were used by "Saints" or Divine Figures were often considered to be Holy Relics.

The Wiki on Relics is a treasure trove of information on what you might consider a thematic Power-Item for a paladin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic

Nhorianscum
2018-11-11, 02:25 PM
So I want to create a magic item that gives Paladin +1 spell slot to 4th and 5th level spells. So overall 2 extra slots. But I am looking for some interesting ideas for it, instead of just "Holy Ring of Redemption +2 to slots, cause holy".

I can even be a weapon, I don't mind. But I am out of idea how to make this item interesting so it's not just pure math boost.

Any ideas welcome.

+2 (whatever weapon the paladin uses) clone of an existing stave. Or a 10 charge custom set for flavor. Add fluff to taste, and be satisfied that the paladin has the spells you want him to have and cannot smiteburn the slots.

First draft would be something like... (bad ideas inc)

Ex: Sword of Chilling out. +2 longsword (functions as stave of ice with redemption paladin atunement and no daily recharge). Kinda chill: when you take damage for an ally in your aura recharge 1. The Fonz: when you end an encounter peacefully add 10 charges, this can bypass the maximum charge of this item.

Ex2: Victorys Spoils, +2 Greatsword (stave of healing, CQ paladin atunement. No recharge) See them Kneel: At the end of your turn, if one or more enemies frightened within 5 ft of the weilder add one charge. Lamentations of their women: When a creature with Legendary resistance is frightened within 5 ft of the weilder add 5 charges, this can bypass the maximum charge of this item.

Or just go with 2 rings of spell storing (arguably more powerful but eats atunement)