PDA

View Full Version : Dex-based Perform skills

nonsi
2018-11-11, 08:14 AM

In real life, not all performances rely on one's ability to captivate an audience, or finesse. Some require fancy handwork and footwork and amazing hand-eye coordination.

While card tricks can be associated with Sleight of Hand and Tightrope walking can be attributed to Balance (a bit of a stretch, but we'll let it slide), I can think of 4 things that don't fit any of the proposed 3.Xe skills:
1. Juggling
2. Unicycle Riding
3. Barrel & Board Balancing
4. Object Spinning (mainly balls, but not just)

Since only Juggling can be considered common sports in the middle-ages, this leaves me with Juggling and nothing more.
That's not enough to justify splitting Perform into Charisma-based set of skills and Intelligence-based set of skills.
So, if anyone can think of more examples, maybe it'll be worthwhile to explore that angle. If not, then I need suggestions what to do with Juggling.

Lacuna Caster
2018-11-15, 08:38 AM
In real life, not all performances rely on one's ability to captivate an audience, or finesse. Some require fancy handwork and footwork and amazing hand-eye coordination.
In principle almost any attribute could be used for the purpose of 'doing impressive eye-catching things'. Like feats of calculation for Int, or strongman-acts for Str, or maybe memory-mnemonics for Wis, et cetera. Maybe charisma just helps with sales and presentation, so to speak.

jiriku
2018-11-16, 12:45 AM
I don't think you really need a rule here. As the DM you just say "Your performance really demands more coordination than crowd interaction. Roll a Dexterity (Performance) check for me."

The game already encourages you to adjudicate in this fashion. It's not even homebrew.

nonsi
2018-11-16, 01:02 AM
I don't think you really need a rule here. As the DM you just say "Your performance really demands more coordination than crowd interaction. Roll a Dexterity (Performance) check for me."

The game already encourages you to adjudicate in this fashion. It's not even homebrew.

Do you remember where exactly this is stated in core 3e? (PH / DMG . . . page No.)

jiriku
2018-11-16, 01:13 AM
PHB page 175, "Variant: Skills with Different Abilities"

jamieth
2018-11-16, 03:33 AM
As a note, Pathfinder explicitely allows using Sleight of Hand as Performance skill:

You can also use Sleight of Hand to entertain an audience as though you were using the Perform skill. In such a case, your "act" encompasses elements of legerdemain, juggling, and the like.