PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Build help - One Handed Master

Malapterus
2018-11-11, 12:13 PM
I am putting together an NPC party leader and I am starting with an image instead of a mechanic. I am left with a build that I am not sure how to benefit from, so some help would be, uh, helpful.

He's a Drow, Chaotic Evil, with normal Drow abilities. Instead of an ECL, his first two levels are replaced with levels of Humanoid.

He is a Rogue, replacing his Sneak Attack with Fighter Bonus Feats, and tweaked to a full BaB.

His weapon is a one-handed Battleaxe. Since the stats are so similar to a rapier, I am willing to say he can Finesse that weapon if he goes into a Finesse build, but I am not sold on a Finesse build by any means.

He has a psychoactive skin that protects him from Light spells, and I am expecting him to have studded leather or similar armor.

He also has a very affluent sponsor who is interested in his success so he can go a bit over his WBL.

He is:
Humanoid 2
Feat Rogue 8
Full BaB on all levels

bean illus
2018-11-11, 07:03 PM
I don't understand what your asking? Are you asking about feats?

JNAProductions
2018-11-11, 07:04 PM
A Rogue who has full BAB and Fighter Feats instead of Sneak Attack...

Isn't that called a Fighter?

Pleh
2018-11-11, 07:24 PM
A Rogue who has full BAB and Fighter Feats instead of Sneak Attack...

Isn't that called a Fighter?

A fighter with skills instead of hit points and reflex instead of fort. And who wears light armor.

Malapterus
2018-11-11, 07:29 PM
I don't understand what your asking? Are you asking about feats?

feats, gear, etc.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-11-11, 07:48 PM
Feats:
Versatile Combatant (DotU)
Point-Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Ranged Disarm (CW) (hand crossbow)
Ranged Pin (CW) (hand crossbow)
Pin Shield (CW)
Hand Crossbow Focus (DotU) (optional, but highly recommended)
Rapid Shot (optional)
Quick-Draw (optional)

A hand crossbow's damage is laughable, but the build will have him full attacking with his main hand, and when needed take TWF penalties to use the hand crossbow for a non-damage benefit.

He can use it to negate an opponent's shield bonus to AC for his main hand attacks that round, taking TWF penalties but not making offhand attacks.
He can use it to knock something out of someone's hand while still full attacking with his main hand.
He can use it to pin someone in place, such as to prevent backup from arriving for another turn or to stop a fleeing opponent.
He can even do two disarms and/or pins in a turn if he uses rapid shot (taking a further -2 to all his attacks that round), provided he also has Hand Crossbow Focus.

He could also pack some special ammunition for it, such as a crossbow bolt version of a Fountainhead Arrow (MIC) or a Dragonsbreath Arrow (RotW).

He would surely have some kind of bow for when he actually needs to deal damage at a distance, and he'll have all the feats he needs to be good at that, too!

For his melee weapon, just give him decent stats and make the weapon itself special. I'd give him at least a +4 enhancement to his important stats, added onto other items per MIC p234. I'd give his weapon Speed, Sudden Stunning (DMG2), Mage Bane (MIC, CM), and probably Brutal Surge (DMG2) for cinematic effect. Be sure to add a weapon crystal (MIC), such as a greater crystal of energy assault. Consider also having him use a lock gauntlet.

Troacctid
2018-11-12, 01:37 PM
What's the character's personality like? What is his role in the NPC party? Who are the other members of his party? Is his party an enemy of the PCs or a rival? If an enemy, what is driving the conflict with the PCs?

Also, what do you mean by "One Handed Master"? Does he specialize in one-handed weapons or does he literally only have one hand?

Palanan
2018-11-12, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Troacctid
Does he specialize in one-handed weapons or does he literally only have one hand?

I'm still confused about this too. From the thread title I was assuming the latter at the start, but now I'm not so sure.

A drow with a weapon in one hand and a sadistic hook on the other makes for a great image.

noce
2018-11-12, 06:42 PM
You made a custom race (for the rhd), with a custom class, wearing a custom finessable weapon.
Why are you asking for feats? Just give him custom feats.

winteranfang
2018-11-14, 02:16 PM
I made a build for my setting. Maybe that can help you in terms of system and personality.

He is a CE vampire sun elf (you can get rid of vampire template and switch the race with drow LA +0 in the web enhancement). Fighter 5, Weapon Master 9 using katana as base weapon. At the beginning, both vampire and elf seem weak, but I used Darkchaos method to get many useful feats instead of garbage ones (You can access this method using a cleric as your cohort from Leadership feat).

List of the feats: Vampire (Spring Attack, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Leap Attack), Elf (Exotic W. P.: Katana -I use d8 damage and 18-20 crit range version of katana in my setting-, Weapon Focus: Katana, Combat Expertise, Mobility), Fighter (Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Specialization: Katana), Level 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 (Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Whirlwind Attack, Improved Critical: Katana, Shock Trooper), Flaw (Combat Brute, Greater Cleave), Item (Quick Draw)

Items: Belt of STR +4, Gloves of DEX +4, Any item providing permanent Freedom of Movement, Ring of Resistance +4, Ring of Lion's Charge (homebrew useful item), Gauntlet of Quick Draw (another homebrew goodie), more importantly: +4 Mithral Chain Shirt of Life Warding (grants immunity to positive energy and turning), +4 Vampiric Katana of Speed.

In this build, I've reached 13-20 critical with tons of charging options for massive damage and defensive qualities using a few home-made changes. This character is a feat maniac (Maybe I did wrong something with feats but it seems OK to me). If you don't want to use vampire template, darkchaos shuffled elven feats are great, too. I've built this character as a clan leader of fighter vampires that are elite soldiers used to conquer a nation. He wears awesome coat to increase his awesomeness.

If you can handle reaching Darkchaos method, note that drow has lack one feat than standart elf as racial bonus feat. You can select feats above to build an effective charger with your axe.

Malapterus
2018-11-16, 05:22 PM
Feats:
Versatile Combatant (DotU)
Point-Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Ranged Disarm (CW) (hand crossbow)
Ranged Pin (CW) (hand crossbow)
Pin Shield (CW)
Hand Crossbow Focus (DotU) (optional, but highly recommended)
Rapid Shot (optional)
Quick-Draw (optional)

This is a really cool build, thanks. But, it's not quite right for this guy.

What's the character's personality like? What is his role in the NPC party? Who are the other members of his party? Is his party an enemy of the PCs or a rival? If an enemy, what is driving the conflict with the PCs?

Also, what do you mean by "One Handed Master"? Does he specialize in one-handed weapons or does he literally only have one hand?

He is the leader of the counter-party; evil PC level guys that work for the other guy and level up at the same rate as the party.

He is as loyal to his master as a chaotic evil Drow can possibly be. His team is flashy, but he is understated. A slight, dark figure who is easy to overlook, but intended to be the most dangerous guy in the group. He's a strong silent type; his party is convinced he will kick their ass even if they stab him in the back.

He uses a battleaxe, so he can have his other hand open for other things like smokesticks, or switch to using both hands for a harder hit.

I made a build for my setting. Maybe that can help you in terms of system and personality.

He is a CE vampire sun elf (you can get rid of vampire template and switch the race with drow LA +0 in the web enhancement). Fighter 5, Weapon Master 9 using katana as base weapon. At the beginning, both vampire and elf seem weak, but I used Darkchaos method to get many useful feats instead of garbage ones (You can access this method using a cleric as your cohort from Leadership feat).

List of the feats: Vampire (Spring Attack, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Leap Attack), Elf (Exotic W. P.: Katana -I use d8 damage and 18-20 crit range version of katana in my setting-, Weapon Focus: Katana, Combat Expertise, Mobility), Fighter (Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Specialization: Katana), Level 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 (Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Whirlwind Attack, Improved Critical: Katana, Shock Trooper), Flaw (Combat Brute, Greater Cleave), Item (Quick Draw)

Items: Belt of STR +4, Gloves of DEX +4, Any item providing permanent Freedom of Movement, Ring of Resistance +4, Ring of Lion's Charge (homebrew useful item), Gauntlet of Quick Draw (another homebrew goodie), more importantly: +4 Mithral Chain Shirt of Life Warding (grants immunity to positive energy and turning), +4 Vampiric Katana of Speed.

In this build, I've reached 13-20 critical with tons of charging options for massive damage and defensive qualities using a few home-made changes. This character is a feat maniac (Maybe I did wrong something with feats but it seems OK to me). If you don't want to use vampire template, darkchaos shuffled elven feats are great, too. I've built this character as a clan leader of fighter vampires that are elite soldiers used to conquer a nation. He wears awesome coat to increase his awesomeness.

If you can handle reaching Darkchaos method, note that drow has lack one feat than standart elf as racial bonus feat. You can select feats above to build an effective charger with your axe.

I don't know about for this guy but I will look this over as I also am working on a melee heavy vampire drow for the party. Thinking frenzied berserker.

bean illus
2018-11-16, 10:42 PM
... or this guy.

He is the leader of the counter-party; evil PC ... and level up at the same rate as the party.

He is as loyal to his master as a chaotic evil Drow can possibly be. His team is flashy, but he is understated. A slight, dark figure who is easy to overlook, but intended to be the most dangerous guy in the group. He's a strong silent type; his party is convinced he will kick their ass even if they stab him in the back.

He uses a battleaxe, so he can have his other hand open for other things like smokesticks, or switch to using both hands for a harder hit.

I also am working on a melee heavy vampire drow for the party. Thinking frenzied berserker.

Ok, let's try to use this. Character.
- But listen, in dnd, once you rewrite the fluff, it's just pluses and minus.

How many guys are we building? A vampire later, and an unassuming figure with "dangerous" martial power now.
- I love multiclass, feat heavy builds. But you risk becoming irrelevant at higher levels unless you have spells or ToB.
- My go to 'low magic' high martial ingredient is Divine Power, the 4th lvl cleric spell. Give him 7-8 levels of cleric, low wisdom, and light armor. Then take him martial multiclass to harvest feats.
* Then play him as thin, moody, dark and dangerous.

Cloistered cleric fits pefectly. This is a build i adapted to your needs.
* Backstory: Went to college, couldn't keep a job, joined a cult. That didn't turn out well because... chaos. Decided to say hell with it all, went 'rogue', and the plot picks up with a full BAB 10th level Barbarian.

1. Cloistered Cleric 1:* Imp Initiative
Domains - war, drow, knowledge.
Weapon focus-scimitar, Lightning reflexes
2. Wizard1: abjurant acf- 10' teleport, combat reflexes
3. Quick Reconoiter
6. Seeker of the Misty Isle: Power Attack, TRAVEL domain- Freedom of Movement! fly! +10 land!, dimension door!
9. Ordained Champion: EXTEND SPELL, wrath domain -Leap attack

10. Lion Barbarian1: POUNCE! Rage, +10' move
11. Fighter1: Power lunge
12 Fighter2- Dungeon Crasher acf: Imp bull rush, shock trooper

14, 16, 14 - 10, 14, 10
17, 18, 12 - 12, 14, 12 .. drow, +3 str
21, 18, 16 - 12, 14, 12 .. rage (+4 str-con, -2ac)

AC: 10+4, +4 mithril breastplate (+5), MV (+2), + 3 buckler (+1) = 29
AC Penalties: -2 rage, -2 charge

Combat reflexes
Improved initiative
Quick Reconnoiter: Listen 5, spot 5
Power attack: Str 13, -
Leap Attack CA: PA, Jump 8
Power Lunge SaF(3.0): PA, BaB+3 (2x Str
Improved Bull Rush: PA, STR 13
Shock Trooper CW: Imp Bull Rush, PA , bab +6

***Do this.
Tyche's Touch* LEoF: 2nd lvl, +4 1st save, +3 2nd, +2 3rd, +1 4th. 24 hrs

Extend (16hr): divine power, longstrider, magic vestment

free listen+spot (@max+2), neverskitter, +15 initiative, 4 AoO, abrupt jaunt', +20' move,

Immediate neverskitter, Swift rhino's rush (×2damage).

* You're hard to surprise, hit, or outrun. Lotsa skills for jump/etc, or even intimidate for role play. And you have simple but effective explosive damage. Maybe squeeze in TWF.
- You could probably cheese in another domain (strength) and get enlarge person.