PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Unsure which Ranger Subclass and Fighting style to pick

Kaimal
2018-11-11, 12:46 PM
Basically I have this idea for a Githzerai Ranger that's escaped mind flayers for an Out of The Abyss game.

I can't decide between the Horizon Walker and the Gloom Stalker. Both fit the character and his backstory. I'm just wondering from an optimization stand point which fighting styles work best with them? And on paper they seem abiyt on the same level but I want know if in play one towers above the other

I understand melee is where most people go for Horizon Walker cause of the 30 ft range skill they have but a ranged character can use that to backpedal quite efficiently

I'm just really not sure so I wanted to ask the opinion of anyone who's played either or both to give me any pointers on which to go with and the fighting styles they've used.

P.S if you have any suggestion on spells for rangers in general that's always appreciated

CTurbo
2018-11-11, 12:48 PM
Given the choice between the two, I would choose Gloom Stalker every single time without hesitation. I find the Horizon Walker very underwhelming and the Gloom Stalker nearly OP so it's a no contest.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-11, 01:55 PM
Gloom Stalker or Monster Slayer are probably the closest options to choose.

Gloom Stalker provides Iron Mind, which gives you a bonus to specific saving throws, like Wisdom or Intelligence.

Monster Slayer gets bonuses to saving throws and resisting grapples, and is focused to kill bosses but doesn't do as well against swarms. Many Mind Flayer subspecies utilize tentacles for grappling, so it makes sense.

NaughtyTiger
2018-11-11, 02:02 PM
if you can do UA, then mariner fighting style
+1 AC, swim speed, climb speed. (no shield)

Waifu Collector
2018-11-11, 02:43 PM
Horizon Walker could be cool flavor-wise (doesn’t want mind flayers entering the material plane). But mechanically its pretty weak. If that’s what you care about, then go Gloom Stalker, no exceptions.
Also, please make sure to use the revised ranger as opposed to the PHB version. There’s honestly no good reason why your DM would disallow it.