PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Simic Wizard multi-class theory?

Citadel97501
2018-11-11, 03:18 PM
Hello all,
I was wondering how you all would optimize a Simic Wizard (Ravnica) through multi-classing? I think for the fluff that a god wizard IE treant's temple style works fine, but due to their reliance on living creatures I am just not sure what is the best path for these types of characters?

Cleric 1+: Doesn't seem to fit the theme, but the armor and guidance is powerful & utility for support as always.

Rogue 2-3: Interesting due to avoiding melee through Cunning Action and movement, while Mastermind is very interesting for a support assist character although this is damn expensive for casting levels. Your also nearly never getting your sneak attacks.

Requires ST interaction to determine if Krasis can count as Beasts for these effects.
Warlock 2: Invocations such as Beast Speech, might let you control a Krasis very well although perhaps not due to them not technically being "beasts":)

Ranger 3 : Beast Master, weird & likely very bad but very thematic, once again does this let you choose a Krasis would work fine with Revised Ranger for balance?

Druid 2+: Interesting menagerie of monsters, Krasis support perhaps through Awaken?

lunaticfringe
2018-11-11, 04:00 PM
Gaining access to a Krasis minion is a guild boon available to any Simic member of a proper rank & Renown. Seems like it's intended to be a role play thing.

It's somewhere between getting an unusual mount and gaining the services of a Skilled Hireling. Off the top of my head if you wanted a Krasis and were too low rank it would cost you gold and entering a labyrinthine contract because you are a scrub research assistant barely fit to fetch my coffee in the morning. That's experimental Guild tech buddy, got to prove yourself to the cause before they share the cool toys with you.

Mikaleus
2018-11-11, 08:26 PM
Greetings to a fellow Biomancer !

In the guide it suggests that if you want to play a Biomancer to play a Transmutation Wizard.

A Terraformer is suggested as land Druid (coastal / forest ).

Sadly, Krasis are monstrosities and as such I don’t believe can be summoned by any conjure X spell in 5e.

If you gain renown , as mentioned in the post above, not only can you get your own krasis if you have any pets, animal companions or familiars, you can add the mutations krasis get to them.

I wish the Simic got a wizard subclass of say ...mutation (which I believe could be applied over multiple settings much like the Order Domain Cleric and the circle of Spores Druid) and was comparable to the summoner and its eidolon minion of pathfinder.

Even a cantrip of Simic flavour would have been nice.

If I were you, I’d probably play Wizard and add mutations to my familiar. If your game is set in ravnica, your DM will probably reward your character with a krasis as you level up in renown within the combine.

It’s not multiclassing, but it will make you a lot less MAD.

I believe Conjuration wizard for a stronger familiar and eventual mutations might suit your concept.

Arutha
2018-11-11, 10:13 PM
There is a way to summon krasis with summon spells (I think) but it is a little wonky and will definitely require GM approval. A mark of handling human gets a feature called “The bigger they are” which lets them effect monstrosity’s with intelligence 3 or lower as beasts when effecting them with spells. This means that spells like animal friendship work on creature like krasis. It is questionable if you can summon monstrosities with conjure animals, and you definitely cannot with any other spells like conjure fey, but if you have a lenient GM, or can find a krasis through role play, you can tame it and treat it like any other animal.
Not super useful for a wizard, but an option none the less.