PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Duh moment with my Earth Genasi

ZorroGames
2018-11-11, 06:44 PM
Playing a scenario last week and when post game discussing the new advancement system a fellow player said, “You do realize that you 6th level character has enough ATPs to have been 7th in tonight’s game and currently has enough to make 8th.”

Oops.

Okay, so two questions.

1) I have the Battle Master maneuvers of Precision Attack, Riposte, and Trip. ST 20, DE 10, CO 16, WI 14, IN 10, CH 8, stats.

Need two more maneuvers. Thinking possibly Commander’s Strike, Lunging Attack, or Sweeping Attack. If my DE was higher I would consider Parry... but it isn’t.

As for my level 8 ASI:

2) Given I have GWF and on foot I use either 2HS or Maul, I am debating

A. WI 16 and then cleric levels.
B. Boost CO to 18.
C. Feat such as Alert, Mounted Combatant (Ivory Goats are available,) Resilient DE, or Tough.

Responses?

Unoriginal
2018-11-11, 07:02 PM
What are your current AC and HPs?

LtPowers
2018-11-11, 07:23 PM
Commander's Strike is best if you have a rogue in your party; since it's your turn and not the rogue's, the rogue can get sneak attack again. If you don't have a rogue or some other party member that can make serious hay on off-turn-attacks, there's not much point to the maneuver.

Lunging Attack is highly situational; how often do you find yourself 10 feet away from an enemy and unable to move closer?

Sweeping Attack sounds super cool but in practice it's kind of mediocre. It's not that much damage and it's spread across two targets (which isn't usually best practice). Trip Attack and Pushing Attack are
almost strictly better because they also add your superiority die to damage but a) it's to the same creature as your main weapon damage and b) they have additional riders to boot.

Since you have Trip already, Pushing isn't as useful. I find Disarming Attack useful on occasion. Goading Attack would be nice if your DM likes to ignore you and go after the squishies. Maneuvering Attack sounds useful but I've found it's too situational. Menacing Attack is good but only use it against low-Wisdom opponents.

Powers &8^]

ZorroGames
2018-11-11, 09:18 PM
What are your current AC and HPs?

Mariner’s Plate. 58 HPs at 6th level.

McSkrag
2018-11-11, 11:40 PM
I find Menacing Attack to be useful since it activates on a hit, adds damage, and forces a WIS save.

Disarming Attack is a bit situational but can be very useful. Just remember to use your object interaction to kick the weapon away after they drop it.

You did not mention GWM, but you use 2H weapons and it goes great with Precision attack. Even better if you take some cleric levels and can also bless yourself.

Speaking of cleric levels, what are you thinking? The battlemaster + cleric is something I want to play but have not yet had a chance.

PeteNutButter
2018-11-12, 01:29 AM
I wouldn't leave fighter at level 9. That's 3 levels from your third attack. Get that extra attack, before you go anywhere.

As for your maneuver, it really doesn't matter. Riposte and precision are so much better than other options that they should be all you use.

Commander's strike is worth it if you have a rogue.