PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Mixing Hardcover Adventures (SKT & POTA) in Adventurers League?

Copper_Dragon
2018-11-11, 08:18 PM
New AL DM with a question about mixing hardcovers...

I am considering running some events from Princes of the Apocalypse in the middle of Storm King's Thunder ch. 3 since it’s a sandboxy chapter and can fit some side treks. SKT even has a section that talks about overlap between the two, and a few locations point to POTA for more details, so it makes sense. However, I worry that I might be breaking AL rules by doing so because players will start SKT ch. 3, do some stuff from another hardcover, and then return. Is this ok as long as we don’t repeat any material? Or does it still fit the definition of replaying the chapter?

I’m betting, if it is allowed, that we would need to be super-specific in logging sessions. However, I’m not worried about that as much as my players playing elsewhere and a DM questioning the legality of their characters.

Thanks ahead of time for any clarification you can provide!

Keravath
2018-11-11, 10:20 PM
Based on the quotes below you can run entire chapters but NOT individual encounters from hardcover material. You could start playing SKT chapter 3 ... segue into a chapter from POTA ... and then come back to SKT chapter 3 in a later session. Also, since you can play multi-session adventures BETWEEN sessions of a different multi-session adventure with the same characters then I think you could also do something like start SKT ch 3 ... go to a specific POTA chapter for some number of sessions ... come back to SKT ch 3 ... go back to the SAME POTA chapter ... and so on ... eventually completing both SKT ch 3 and the chapter from POTA.

However, you have to be playing whole chapters (presumably with a reasonable connection between them) rather than picking and choosing individual encounters from the other material.

----

Most of your questions seem to be answered in the ALFAQ:

Can I Run Chapters as One-Off Adventures?
Yes, but not individual encounters. This rule is designed to facilitate play.

How Do Multiple Session Adventures Work?
Whether due to time constraints, or adventure length, adventures take multiple sessions.

Can Parts be Replayed?
Characters can’t replay content but may continue content that they didn’t complete. That is, if a game runs exceedingly long and all players and the DM agree to meet the following weekend to pick up where they left off and finish the game. If this occurs, appropriate entries should be entered on logsheets to reflect this. Replaying a portion of an adventure you want to replay isn’t permitted.

How Should We Log It?
Players must complete a log entry at the end of each session. However, it is recommended that characters participating in a multiple-session adventure also record their characters current hit points, and other expended resources (hit dice, spell slots, rages, etc.) in the notes section of their log entry, as such resources are not refreshed between sessions of the same adventure.

Can They Play Other Adventures Between Sessions?
Characters can play other adventures (including other multiple-session adventures) between sessions. At the start of each new adventure, the character’s hit points, hit dice, and other consumable resources are restored to full; however, the character will begin play suffering the effects of any diseases, toxins, curses, or other maladies that weren’t removed at the end of the adventure. It is for this reason, that characters participating in one (or more) multiple-session adventures should take careful note of their current resources at the end of each session. Players taking their characters from game to game in this way are permitted to advance in level and earn rewards between sessions of a multiple-session adventure but must exercise caution or else they may accidentally level-out of their original game.

Leveling Between Sessions

Since characters may adventure between sessions of a multiple-session adventure, they may also advance in levels between sessions. While the character gains the full benefit of leveling immediately, expended hit points, spell slots, and other consumable resources do not refresh between sessions until the character rests. All other benefits of gaining a level (including newly acquired abilities) are available immediately. This requires some suspension of disbelief on the part of the players and DM, especially in the case of the character gaining new equipment, magic items, or class features between sessions.