PDA

View Full Version : Two alternatives for Deep Gnome Build.

ZorroGames
2018-11-11, 09:53 PM
AL PC Deep Gnome Fighter/Rogue or Rogue/Fighter.

Stats are “number” (“Build points” + “bonus”)

Assuming that increased IN makes the racial spells significantly better.

ST 14 (7)
DE 14 (5+1)
CO 12 (4)
IN 16 (also useful if a Wizard multiclassing is added later.) (7+2)
WI 10 (2)
CH 10 (2)

Assuming that magic is minimized.

ST 14 (7)
DE 16 (9+1)
CO 14 (7)
IN 10 (0+2)
WI 10 (2)
CH 10 (2)

I want the character to be strong enough to use a war pick for flavor and RP plus DE high enough to allow Missile weapons bonus. Magic is a bonus but not vital to the sneaky strong martial type Build I envision.

Right now I am leaning in towards the latter build.

Comments welcome but remember that the build is intentionally not optimized.

bid
2018-11-11, 10:36 PM
AL PC Deep Gnome Fighter/Rogue or Rogue/Fighter.

Comments welcome but remember that the build is intentionally not optimized.
Drats!:smallbiggrin:

I'd go 14 14 14 14 10 10 and wear medium armor. Someone will have to pick those Int skills.
Or Int12 / Wis12 with a "dumped" Cha10.

Keravath
2018-11-11, 10:43 PM
You only need strength OR dex of 13 to multiclass to rogue.

I am guessing that you want to be either a eldritch knight, arcane trickster or both?

Either of these classes can get away with a lower int as long as they lean towards choosing self spells as opposed to attack spells requiring a DC.

You mention wanting to use a war pick and ranged weapons. However, do you picture the character as primarily ranged or melee? Do you plan to wear light or medium armor. Will you use a shield in melee?

Another option that is middle of the road for stats would be to take 14's in str, dex, con and int with 10's in wis and cha. Wear medium armor (likely a breastplate so no disadvantage on stealth), and have +2 for melee, ranged and spell DCs. Not optimized but very well rounded. The 14 int also allows for future wizard mutliclassing if you decide to go that route.

On the other hand, if you want to focus on ranged then 16 dex makes sense with either a 12 or 14 strength.