PDA

View Full Version : Detective Pikachu, live on broadway

LaZodiac
2018-11-12, 01:38 PM
https://youtu.be/1roy4o4tqQM

It begins.

This honestly looks decent it just also looks absolutely cursed.

Lethologica
2018-11-12, 02:24 PM
I am baffled and horrified, yet intrigued. And also mildly curious about the video game which this is adapting. Ryan Reynolds is both Deadpool and Pikachu, what even is life.

AdmiralCheez
2018-11-12, 03:06 PM
I honestly thought it was one of those spoof "what-if" trailers made by fans. I too, am baffled by this.

Ramza00
2018-11-12, 03:11 PM
That scene at the end with Pickachu and Charizard is going to create lots of vore due to its carnivore associations right?

LaZodiac
2018-11-12, 04:22 PM
That scene at the end with Pickachu and Charizard is going to create lots of vore due to its carnivore associations right?

I mean it is NOW.

Anonymouswizard
2018-11-12, 04:39 PM
I honestly thought it was one of those spoof "what-if" trailers made by fans. I too, am baffled by this.

Same here. Although knowing it's real makes me extra hyped, I still remember when Pokémon first appeared on TV, part of my generation's culture.

I honestly feel bad for anybody I might be dating at the time this comes out, seeing as they'll be dragged along to it no matter what.

Also I'm a bit sad they went with 'main character understands Pikachu' bit, but I do get why they can't have one of their main characters okay saying variations on their name.

A bit of research shows ideas for turning this into a potential cinematic universe if it goes well. While I can't say that I like CUs that much, I really do want to see what can be done with live action Pokémon.

...I wanna be be very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cauuuuuuuuse

Dragonus45
2018-11-12, 05:51 PM
I am beyond hyped for this. Not just because of the movie itself looking really cool but because the jokes we are going to get during the next Deadpool movie.

Maryring
2018-11-12, 06:06 PM
I approve. The pokemon look kind of horrifying, but Pikachu looks so delightfully fuzzy that I just can't mind. And I love Detective Pikachu. now, history has taught me that this will probably be bad... but I can always hope that history is wrong because I really want this to be good.

I mean. A friend of mine created a loop of those last two seconds less than an hour after first seeing the trailer so... yeah.

Zevox
2018-11-12, 06:26 PM
This... is real? Seriously? (Honestly, a friend of mine texted a link to the trailer earlier, I watched it but assumed it was some fan-made thing that existed just for kicks.)

I do not entirely know whether I think that's facepalm-inducingly stupid and awful, or potentially gloriously silly (whether intentionally or otherwise). It's definitely one of the two. This will probably be one I wait and hear the word of mouth about before completely deciding whether I'll see it or not.

Berserk Mecha
2018-11-12, 06:31 PM
I can't still be the only one who really wishes that Danny DeVito should be the voice of Pikachu, can I? Ryan Reynolds just seems like the overly safe bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO7JcsAtVFU

Mith
2018-11-12, 06:34 PM
I see no way that this is going to flop. Whether it gets my money remains to be seen.

Ramza00
2018-11-12, 06:39 PM
I see no way that this is going to flop. Whether it gets my money remains to be seen.

Avengers 4 comes out the week before. That is one way Pikachu can flop.

(Now I say all of this but release dates can change and the release date is literally not even in the trailer, but currently Avengers 4 is May 3rd scheduled release date per IMDB and Pokemon Detective Pikachu is May 10th, 2019. Maybe WB will decide a better release date is not the exact same time Avengers is going to come out)

Lleban
2018-11-12, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if I'm amused or horrified, but I hope its good. Seems like there's a lot of love for the franchise in the film and that makes me optimistic.

Mith
2018-11-12, 09:23 PM
Avengers 4 comes out the week before. That is one way Pikachu can flop.

(Now I say all of this but release dates can change and the release date is literally not even in the trailer, but currently Avengers 4 is May 3rd scheduled release date per IMDB and Pokemon Detective Pikachu is May 10th, 2019. Maybe WB will decide a better release date is not the exact same time Avengers is going to come out)

Good point. If they give it an additional week, the initial surge may have gone through that this could do well.

DataNinja
2018-11-12, 09:59 PM
It doesn't look terrible from the preview. I'll probably give it a go, see how it turns out. Worst case scenario, it'll be cool to see how they end up interpreting everything (I like the Johto-esque interpretation of clothes that the female Trainer with the duo seems to have). Best case, it'll be a fun movie. Looks to not be taking itself terribly seriously, which is nice. I don't see many movies, but, hey, this one grabs my attention... admittedly mostly because I'm a big PokéNerd.

Lethologica
2018-11-12, 10:07 PM
What this reminds me of most is Anime Crimes Division (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urk_kp76RoI).

Iruka
2018-11-12, 11:24 PM
The thing I never knew I needed.

Boy, do I need to see this dumb thing.

Olinser
2018-11-12, 11:29 PM

What did I just watch? :smallconfused:

The Glyphstone
2018-11-13, 01:09 AM

What did I just watch? :smallconfused:

This. This is waht I was about to post.

Bohandas
2018-11-13, 02:18 AM
Looks good to me.

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-13, 06:48 AM
Well, I wasn't even going to blink when my mate mentioned this yesterday... But then he said Ryan Reynolds was involved, so I decided I would at leats watch the trailer.

So, okay... They have my attention. I mean, there appears to be enough Pokémon in it that it might be worth it just for the novelty. Plus Ryan Reynolds.

So, yeah.

This is a thing that actually exists. Like most of the rest of you, I am still bewildered that this exists; but live-action Pokémon?

Doesn't look like it could be worse than Bayformers or Power Rangers or something (I mean, the fact that clearly we are getting ore Pokémon in our Pokémon lovie than Transformers in our Transformers movie speaks to it's credit), so...

I mean, I liked Green Lantern myself, so if it is that subjectively to everyone else bad, it might be a giggle, at least.

And it does have a good chunk of my favourites so...

Cautious optimisim?

(Which is nice, because today did not start out well...)

LaZodiac
2018-11-13, 08:09 AM
Power Rangers is actually really good, and the Director's Cut of Green Lantern makes the entire film SO MUCH BETTER, it's like an entirely different movie.

So yeah I'm actually pretty sure this one will be alright, the effects for the pokemon just feel horrifyingly cursed at first glance.

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-13, 09:29 AM
Power Rangers is actually really good, and the Director's Cut of Green Lantern makes the entire film SO MUCH BETTER, it's like an entirely different movie.

Really? What did they change? I've only seen the base version at the cinema and on DVD.

(Though let's face it, the several cracks about it in Deadpool 1 and 2 (especially the latter) justify the film being made regardless of how bad it is considered...!)

LaZodiac
2018-11-13, 09:52 AM
Really? What did they change? I've only seen the base version at the cinema and on DVD.

(Though let's face it, the several cracks about it in Deadpool 1 and 2 (especially the latter) justify the film being made regardless of how bad it is considered...!)

They change the ENTIRE throughline of the ENTIRE film. The theatrical release is this horrible bull**** story about how evil is deterministic and if you're bad you're bad and if you're good you're good. It makes the guy being taken by Parralax this kind of out of nowhere ridiculous ****ty nerd with no real connection to everything going on.

The director's cut is ENTIRELY different, being far more about how "anyone can be a hero if they try" and how giving into our fears is not EVIL, just...a sign of weakness that can happen to anyone. They make it clear the dude Parralax is corrupting was a good guy, better even than Hal, but life beat him down constantly. There's a clear mirror between the two in the director's cut that makes everything CLICK, and the theatrical cut removed all of it and altered the message entirely with edited lines.

They're literally, thematically, different films entirely.

PraetorDragoon
2018-11-13, 10:14 AM
This looks gloriously awful and terrible.

When is it out? I need to watch it.

Cikomyr
2018-11-13, 10:15 AM
I feel like i should hate this, but found myself endeared.

Its a weird feeling. The whole Dr Dolittle for Pokemon twist is.. actually damn interesting to explore

Mith
2018-11-13, 10:28 AM
The only thing that would improve this for me is my thoughts on how Pokemon should have been developed as a more shamanist kami concept rather than exotic animals, but hey, I want to see a live action Pokemon fight.

Cikomyr
2018-11-13, 10:32 AM
The only thing that would improve this for me is my thoughts on how Pokemon should have been developed as a more shamanist kami concept rather than exotic animals, but hey, I want to see a live action Pokemon fight.

Whats the difference between a "live action" pokemon fight and a CGI pokemon fight with a realistic art style?

Kato
2018-11-13, 10:35 AM
They change the ENTIRE throughline of the ENTIRE film. The theatrical release is this horrible bull**** story about how evil is deterministic and if you're bad you're bad and if you're good you're good. It makes the guy being taken by Parralax this kind of out of nowhere ridiculous ****ty nerd with no real connection to everything going on.

The director's cut is ENTIRELY different, being far more about how "anyone can be a hero if they try" and how giving into our fears is not EVIL, just...a sign of weakness that can happen to anyone. They make it clear the dude Parralax is corrupting was a good guy, better even than Hal, but life beat him down constantly. There's a clear mirror between the two in the director's cut that makes everything CLICK, and the theatrical cut removed all of it and altered the message entirely with edited lines.

I've been putting off watching this but I guess now I'll have to...

Oh, right, Pokémon. Since my man crush for Mr Reynolds would have me watch a movie with him going pikapika for 90 minutes, I'm very much in for this. Yes, the cg Pokémon are a bit... Off. And it'll take a while for my subconscious not to go "why is Wade PG suddenly?" but if I can catch an English version over here I'll watch it even if the cinema is full of kids.
(also, I want a version where Pikachu doesn't get translated. Just because. )

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-13, 11:51 AM

Fascinating.

Oh, right, Pokémon. Since my man crush for Mr Reynolds would have me watch a movie with him going pikapika for 90 minutes, I'm very much in for this. Yes, the cg Pokémon are a bit... Off. And it'll take a while for my subconscious not to go "why is Wade PG suddenly?" but if I can catch an English version over here I'll watch it even if the cinema is full of kids.
(also, I want a version where Pikachu doesn't get translated. Just because. )

That sounds like that ought to be a DVD extra, doesn't it?

Peelee
2018-11-13, 12:03 PM
I'm torn between my love of Pokémon and my hatred of Ryan Reynolds.

Fyraltari
2018-11-13, 12:14 PM
I'm torn between my love of Pokémon and my hatred of Ryan Reynolds.

I guess you'll have to judge the film on its own merits, then.

Mith
2018-11-13, 12:17 PM
Whats the difference between a "live action" pokemon fight and a CGI pokemon fight with a realistic art style?

A cup of coffee or two. :smalltongue:

I was more meaning the idea of realistic 3D fight vs the traditional 2D anime style. I like what a lot of people have done with the realistic art style for Pokémon over the years, so seeing it in a movie would be fun.

Ramza00
2018-11-13, 12:39 PM
Oh, right, Pokémon. Since my man crush for Mr Reynolds would have me watch a movie with him going pikapika for 90 minutes,

I am Groot vs Pika Pi, is the ultimate battle of the two man crush archetypes!

Frozen_Feet
2018-11-13, 12:46 PM
The trailer was hilarious.

DigoDragon
2018-11-13, 01:22 PM
It took me a little while to stop cringing at some of the cgi Pokemon (Mr. Mime just looks plain creepy), but Pikachu looks kinda cute. The humor seems like it's for a wider audience then I'd assume, so maybe I'll tag along with my family and see it.

HMS Invincible
2018-11-13, 01:40 PM
It took me a little while to stop cringing at some of the cgi Pokemon (Mr. Mime just looks plain creepy), but Pikachu looks kinda cute. The humor seems like it's for a wider audience then I'd assume, so maybe I'll tag along with my family and see it.
It's a family film? I thought it would be like happy time murder adult themed muppets. What rating are they going for? Pg13 or PG?
I mean, they have Ryan Reynolds and the trailer shows him interrogating someone.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2018-11-13, 01:45 PM
To be fair, Mr Mime has always been a little creepy, and given the environment of the interrogation, this one may be a Mr Mime lowlife. A Mr Crime, if you will.

Or maybe they just chose one that looks creepy and can produce a few good jokes. I don’t know, I’m not a moviemaker.

Cikomyr
2018-11-13, 01:46 PM

You are complaining that a Mime looks creepy?

Bohandas
2018-11-13, 01:50 PM
I thought it would be like happy time murder adult themed muppets

You mean Meet the Feebles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_the_Feebles)?

Peelee
2018-11-13, 02:10 PM
I guess you'll have to judge the film on its own merits, then.

Blasphemy!

For reals, though, Ryan Reynolds actively lessens my enjoyment of it.

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-13, 02:38 PM
You are complaining that a Mime looks creepy?

I concur!

I mean, even that aside, Mr Mime specifically looks creepy at the best of times; not that it ever had those...

Callos_DeTerran
2018-11-13, 02:39 PM

Huh...does it also explain why they made a change like that in the first place?

As for this movie...uh...I honestly don't know how to feel about it just yet! Definitely the biggest live action anime adaptation made before, right?

Peelee
2018-11-13, 02:42 PM
I concur!

I mean, even that aside, Mr Mime specifically looks creepy at the best of times; not that it ever had those...

Disregarding all of that, in Red/Blue/Yellow, Mr. Mime could only be gotten in a trade with a single NPC, had a dumb, unchangeable nickname; and had zero evolutions. It was like they tried as hard as they could to make the player not care about him.

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-13, 02:59 PM
Disregarding all of that, in Red/Blue/Yellow, Mr. Mime could only be gotten in a trade with a single NPC, had a dumb, unchangeable nickname; and had zero evolutions. It was like they tried as hard as they could to make the player not care about him.

And BOY did it so work.

Hell, this trailer may be the single "best" use of Mr Mime to date (I use "best" extremely loosely).

The Glyphstone
2018-11-13, 03:04 PM
I only remember Mr Mime from the anime, living with Ash's mom and being vaguely confused as to if it was her servant or boyfriend.

Fyraltari
2018-11-13, 03:04 PM
Blasphemy!

For reals, though, Ryan Reynolds actively lessens my enjoyment of it.

I don't care one way or the other about Reynolds (and keep confusing him with Gosling) or pokémon for that matter, but the movie looks trippy enough (a detective pikachu? Okayyyy) to be enjoyable and my best friend can't get enough pokémon so, I'll probably watch it.

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-13, 03:18 PM
I only remember Mr Mime from the anime, living with Ash's mom and being vaguely confused as to if it was her servant or boyfriend.

Nah, I'm pretty sure she's been banging Prof Oak this entire time, myself...

Alabenson
2018-11-13, 03:23 PM
Having watched the trailer, the only conclusion I can come to is that this looks just insanely stupid enough to be brilliant.

Durkoala
2018-11-13, 04:01 PM
For those not aware, Detective Pikachu was a pretty recent Pokémon spinoff. Like most products that are being made for cinema these days, it's been darkened a little. :smalltongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcf0d5UzYgY

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-13, 04:54 PM
In fairness, it occurs to me that if you were going to do a mass-market big movie essentially in a form (i.e. live-action) not seen before (since sadly "cartoons are still for children" in all too many quarters... Detective Pikachu is probably an easier media format fit than the game/show style (which wouldn't fit in a movie format all that well), and the Pokémon movies vary from damn good (being a trilogy) to okay but they are confusing to the uninitated. New characters and a different slant on the same world give you a somewhat better entry point, one suspects. They can tell pretty much their own story, but have plenty of world-building to dip into.

Callos_DeTerran
2018-11-13, 05:44 PM
Well it honestly seems that, for better or worse, they are aiming this movie less at kids and more at the adults who grew up with pokemon but still in the spirit of the games so kids can enjoy it too. Hence casting Ryan Renolyds as a sass-talking pikachu investigating the murder/disappearance of the main character's father.

Yuki Akuma
2018-11-13, 06:07 PM
So did anyone else notice that Mr. Mime has molding seams on his shoulders? Implying he is actually made of rubber?

LoneStarNorth
2018-11-13, 07:13 PM
So did anyone else notice that Mr. Mime has molding seams on his shoulders? Implying he is actually made of rubber?

Look at that pebbly texture, too. Also its hair is clearly not actually hair.

Personally I love how the pokemon look in this trailer. I mean, given that they settled on a life-action film rather than animation, what's the alternative? Rip the models from Pokemon Let's Go? Pikachu's still cute, jigglypuff's still obviously supposed to be cute but actually terrifying, charizard looks as monstrous as it ought to. And Mr. Mime is a bald child with no nose that wears dodgeballs as pauldrons.

Zevox
2018-11-13, 07:19 PM
For those not aware, Detective Pikachu was a pretty recent Pokémon spinoff. Like most products that are being made for cinema these days, it's been darkened a little. :smalltongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcf0d5UzYgY
...that somehow simultaneously explains everything, and yet nothing. On the one hand, the "Detective Pikachu" concept didn't originate with this movie. On the other hand, it still originated somewhere, and this movie is getting made remarkably soon after the game. So, I think I'm still in "utterly baffled" mode.

And yet I'm now also kind of wishing for a Detective Pikachu/Phoenix Wright crossover game. Because if this is going to exist, they might as well, right?

DeadMech
2018-11-13, 07:28 PM
I've needed some time to digest this announcement. I'm still not quite sure how to feel about it. I'm somewhat surprised how optimistic much of the coverage of this I have seen is. I mean the trailer isn't bad. There are some aspects that kinda bugged me. Staplergun. The opening line. The music choice. If I woke up tomorrow to find out that this was an elaborate prank I wouldn't be surprised. Though I had a similar reaction to finding out pokemon go was a thing that everyone in the world was doing for a couple weeks.

The pokemon themselves are walking a line between adorable and creepy. But that's probably a compromise when trying to make them somewhat believable in the medium. They apparently hired a pokemon fan who is internet famous for drawing creepy realist versions of the mons. I've heard it theorized that the cyber-noir style of the film is at least in part to help blend the CG mon's into the world. Something about the harsh artificial lighting being easier to make interact with them than softer more natural lighting. Given that it's the psyduck who we see snippets of in outdoor scenes that I think looks the worst of all of the mons I'm inclined to agree.

Kitten Champion
2018-11-13, 07:50 PM
After spending time thinking about it, I wouldn't say this is what I'd want from a live action Pokemon movie and I think the animation on the Pokemon is kind of off-putting.

On the other hand, if I stop thinking about it as a live action Pokemon movie and look it more as a Pokemon-themed modern iteration of Who Framed Roger Rabbit then it becomes much more palatable. I dunno, I just want a movie about a hard-core journalist - ala Karen Page from Daredevil - and her Psyduck companion.

Blackhawk748
2018-11-13, 08:26 PM
I watched this trailer and i couldn't stop laughing, mostly because Ryan Reynolds voice is coming out a Pikachu. I like Reynolds fine (im not a massive fanboy or anything) its just so ridiculous it hits my funny bone just right. Color me interested.

As for the effects... Im fine with it. Its basically their 3d models from various games with appropriate textures slapped on. Coulda been better, but could have been so much worse.

Olinser
2018-11-13, 10:23 PM
I mean honestly I kept expecting a .45 to suddenly come down from off screen, blow Pikachu's head off, and for this to all be an elaborate teaser trailer for Deadpool 3.

LaZodiac
2018-11-13, 10:33 PM
Huh...does it also explain why they made a change like that in the first place?

As for this movie...uh...I honestly don't know how to feel about it just yet! Definitely the biggest live action anime adaptation made before, right?

Executives hate nuance.

Concerning Detective Pikachu, I'm excited to see how they resolve "the Dad died and is possessing the pikachu somehow" as a plot point. Cause the way the game does is...well it sure does.

DeadMech
2018-11-14, 03:06 AM
Concerning Detective Pikachu, I'm excited to see how they resolve "the Dad died and is possessing the pikachu somehow" as a plot point. Cause the way the game does is...well it sure does.

Shouldn't he come back as a ghost type?
I'll let myself out.

Nourjan
2018-11-14, 08:28 AM
I always hated the idea of a Detective Pikachu movie with Ryan Reynolds. That was until I saw this trailer. Not only am I now hyped for this movie but I'm beginning to think that this might be the first good video game movie.

Xianthe
2018-11-14, 09:36 AM
On the other hand, if I stop thinking about it as a live action Pokemon movie and look it more as a Pokemon-themed modern iteration of Who Framed Roger Rabbit then it becomes much more palatable.

I also got a Who Framed Roger Rabbit vibe from this, which I am absolutely on board for - though I would have much preferred the cell-animation+live action that WFRR used...the Pokemon are smack dab in the middle of the uncanny valley (though Pikachu is still cute).

Mith
2018-11-14, 11:03 AM
When watching these sort of CGI/reality mix, is there a way to "blanket" the live set so that everything is sort of CGI-lite and thus the full CGI creatures blend in more? Or am I completely out for lunch?

LaserNuts
2018-11-14, 03:07 PM
No sir, I don't like it.

Otomodachi
2018-11-15, 11:43 PM
When watching these sort of CGI/reality mix, is there a way to "blanket" the live set so that everything is sort of CGI-lite and thus the full CGI creatures blend in more? Or am I completely out for lunch?

I'm pretty confident it's POSSIBLE but it also sounds like a LOT of work which means it's probably prohibitively expensive?

Ramza00
2018-12-04, 06:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kSk5dL8afI

OMG did the music for Pokemon did all the heavy lifting? :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

Rockphed
2018-12-13, 05:33 AM

There are cameras that allow you to capture the location of everything in the shot and do some shot fixing in post production. They allow you to do a better job of having your CGI interact with the world. I don't know if anyone actually is using said cameras, they were bleeding edge 2 years ago when a guy who worked on them gave a seminar at my school.