PDA

View Full Version : Command question

Ronnocius
2018-11-12, 02:33 PM
In one of my games the cleric used command on the druid and said "rabbit", causing him to wild shape into a rabbit. I found this hilarious (not the least bit because the druid had a high wisdom and still failed).

However, is this allowed by rules as written? Furthermore, would you allow it in a game? I am inclined to say yes but I may be biased (basically this game is a tournament style thing where everyone tries to create the strongest PVP character, and the druid is an insane minmaxer).

hymer
2018-11-12, 02:38 PM
In one of my games the cleric used command on the druid and said "rabbit", causing him to wild shape into a rabbit. I found this hilarious (not the least bit because the druid had a high wisdom and still failed).

However, is this allowed by rules as written? Furthermore, would you allow it in a game? I am inclined to say yes but I may be biased (basically this game is a tournament style thing where everyone tries to create the strongest PVP character, and the druid is an insane minmaxer).

The rule on Command is to ask the DM. If I were the druid, I would have thought a command to 'rabbit' would have meant to 'flee'. If I was the DM and feeling generous, that's the interpretation I would've laid on it. If I was in a more sober mood, I'd have it fail, as the noun 'rabbit' isn't a command. And if I was in a silly mood (because it was a silly game), I'd have let it fly (and later pointed out that this was a one-time thing).

DMThac0
2018-11-12, 02:43 PM
Command is a spell which you tell a person to do a thing, in one word.

You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn. The spell has no effect if the target is Undead, if it doesn't understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it.

Some typical commands and their effects follow. You might issue a command other than one described here. If you do so, the DM determines how the target behaves. If the target can't follow your command, the spell ends.

Approach: The target moves toward you by the shortest and most direct route, ending its turn if it moves within 5 feet of you.

Drop: The target drops whatever it is holding and then ends its turn.

Flee: The target spends its turn moving away from you by the fastest available means.

Grovel: The target falls prone and then ends its turn.

Halt: The target doesn't move and takes no actions. A flying creature stays aloft, provided that it is able to do so. If it must move to stay aloft, it flies the minimum distance needed to remain in the air.

As indicated by the spell's description there is a possibility to choose words which are not in that list. However, these are commands to act/do something.

If the command "Rabbit" were to be given in my game, I may allow the target advantage on the saving throw due to the odd nature of the command rather than saying "No". Though it does strongly resemble a command that requires imagination and inference rather than being direct and simple as is implied by the description of the spell. It is really difficult to translate intent behind a single word, so I feel that it needs to be something that requires little to no creative/left-field thought.

Theron_the_slim
2018-11-12, 02:46 PM
Itīs kind of a grey zone for the DM, since the spell actually states, that other command words are possible and the DM has to decide how the targets reacts in this case.

It is only one word, so the command itself is still fair, the only thing you cound question is if the druid would be instictivly able to interpret the command he has to follow.
And honestly, on most characters I would say he would (also long there isnīt some other action that command word would trigger, a special wrestling move, a pose or whatever)

As long itīs realistic for the commanding character to know the druids ability to shapechange (you know, metagaming would be pretty unfair here), I would allow it. (The main reason because itīs still a simple instruction, fitting for the spell ... itīs not an action where the command requires to chose a target, speak specific phrases or even to use special objects)

So even without the Rule of Cool Bonus (which would be justified to apply here) it seems to be fine.

Sharur
2018-11-12, 02:47 PM
Personally, not "out of the box" no. "Rabbit" is generally not a verb to turn into a rabbit.

If that command was given while I was DM, I would treat it as "Flee", using a informal definition of "rabbit". Or perhaps use it to mean "hunt rabbits", which personally would also be hilarious.

However, circumstances could arise in which I would allow it, specifically where the one word command "rabbit" could easily taken to mean a command to take rabbit form. For example:
1. The party has been adventuring together for a while, and party members have been using one word examples of something they need the Druid to turn into in a hurry e.g. "Bear" for an emergency tank, "Wolf" for a flanker, "Bird" to get a message through, "Horse" for transport.
2. The Druid has been showing off, or otherwise demonstrating their shapeshifting. Or perhaps was preparing to wild shape anyway (e.g. in a shapeshifting competition), command spell cast in reaction to a Dominated Druid being commanded to wild shape, etc), and "Rabbit" is only changing the form.

Ronnocius
2018-11-12, 02:58 PM
Personally, not "out of the box" no. "Rabbit" is generally not a verb to turn into a rabbit.

If that command was given while I was DM, I would treat it as "Flee", using a informal definition of "rabbit". Or perhaps use it to mean "hunt rabbits", which personally would also be hilarious.

However, circumstances could arise in which I would allow it, specifically where the one word command "rabbit" could easily taken to mean a command to take rabbit form. For example:
1. The party has been adventuring together for a while, and party members have been using one word examples of something they need the Druid to turn into in a hurry e.g. "Bear" for an emergency tank, "Wolf" for a flanker, "Bird" to get a message through, "Horse" for transport.
2. The Druid has been showing off, or otherwise demonstrating their shapeshifting. Or perhaps was preparing to wild shape anyway (e.g. in a shapeshifting competition), command spell cast in reaction to a Dominated Druid being commanded to wild shape, etc), and "Rabbit" is only changing the form.

I believe the druid was already wild shaped at the time he was commanded. The game is basically just an "arena" thing where they can test character builds, and I am often not online so I wasn't here for the situation.

No brains
2018-11-12, 03:33 PM
I can see druids using wild shape forms as verbs to turn into that form. Slang with plausible explanations is seriously just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to abusing the "one word" power of Command. Not to mention, succinct fun is technically the goal of every spell in D&D, so I totally approve this usage.

Verbing wierds language. -Calvin and Hobbes.

Tawmis
2018-11-12, 05:16 PM

As others have said - really depends on the DM. As the DM, they should know their players. Would allow this to happen, be beneficial for the game/players? Would they enjoy it? Would it detract from the game?

As a DM, they'd have to make that split second decision to allow or not allow this. As other stated, on how Command works - "Rabbit" is technically not a command. It's a noun. So it's like spotting the druid, and say, "Sword!"

That's, technically, not going to do anything.