PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What magic items would a Lich use?

Oramac
2018-11-12, 03:34 PM
I'm writing a level 20 one-shot for my players (for which I'll be asking feedback at a later date).

Currently, I have a Lich as the Big Bad, and need insight on what magic items a Lich would actually attune and use against a party. The Staff of the Magi is an obvious one, but what else would you give a Lich?

Keeping in mind that this fight is intended to be beyond deadly, even for a party of 4-5 20th level characters. (There's more than just the Lich to fight)

Nhorianscum
2018-11-12, 03:41 PM
I'm writing a level 20 one-shot for my players (for which I'll be asking feedback at a later date).

Currently, I have a Lich as the Big Bad, and need insight on what magic items a Lich would actually attune and use against a party. The Staff of the Magi is an obvious one, but what else would you give a Lich?

Keeping in mind that this fight is intended to be beyond deadly, even for a party of 4-5 20th level characters. (There's more than just the Lich to fight)

Edit: (Tempted to kill my post based on overall lameness)

Just the items he has on a day basis. Egomaniac's of lich calibur don't believe in prepping for some grubby mortals.

So a humble Stave of the archmagi, robe of the same, some eyes of minute seeing for his current research, and a full set of contengencies (Though that requires ignoring the MM), and a mug of "tasteable by undead" with the words "world's greatest granddead" on the side full of piping hot coffee.

Unoriginal
2018-11-12, 04:03 PM
Depends who the Lich is.

What can you tell us about them?

DwarfDM
2018-11-12, 04:06 PM
Undead adventurers with class levels who defend the Lich.

(AKA the last group stupid enough to interupt the Lich)

Keravath
2018-11-12, 04:42 PM
Reading the entry for a lich from the Monster Manual ... it isn't as bad as I would have expected. A party of level 20's shouldn't have too much trouble with just a lich (though that might depend on party composition) .. if he has some minions it would be tougher.

The party may take casualties ... the lich spell list is mostly single target focused but it can only cast one per turn. There are a lot of spells that could take the lich out of the fight for a while and the lich only has 3 legendary resistances.

As for items:

If they are a legendary (as opposed to run of the mill lich ...)

Robe of the Arch Magi - +2 spell DC is too good to pass up - but the advantage on saves vs magic is also good.
Staff of the Magi - lots more spell options - magic resistance overlaps with robe - can absorb spells.

Plus one of the following would likely be good ... the cube of force is needs some creativity to use well but could be quite effective.

Boots of speed
Cloak of displacement
+3 Cloak/ring of protection
Cube of force - keep non-living matter out - cast globe of invulnerability - laugh while the barbarian tries to remove their armor fast enough to wrestle you out of the cube and globe - but kill him first. '
Luck Blade - with wishes
Ring of Three Wishes

... and put the following on the wall of the lab/lair.

Mirror of Life Trapping

P.S. Remember that if a wizard casts globe of invulnerability ... one of the most effective counters is to have the barbarian run in, grapple them, and drag them out of the globe since the globe is immobile.

Oramac
2018-11-12, 04:51 PM
Edit: (Tempted to kill my post based on overall lameness)

Just the items he has on a day basis. Egomaniac's of lich calibur don't believe in prepping for some grubby mortals.

So a humble Stave of the archmagi, robe of the same, some eyes of minute seeing for his current research, and a full set of contengencies (Though that requires ignoring the MM), and a mug of "tasteable by undead" with the words "world's greatest granddead" on the side full of piping hot coffee.

Good ideas. I'm tempted to stay away from the Robe since the PCs most likely can't use it, but it's probably still worth having.

Depends who the Lich is.

What can you tell us about them?

That gets pretty deep into the adventure itself, but the TLDR version is, he's a Lich who is attempting a ritual to ascend into a demigod form. As a one-shot, it's meant to be setting-neutral.

I like this idea!! And he does have a couple minions anyway, so I might just write that in.

Reading the entry for a lich from the Monster Manual ... it isn't as bad as I would have expected. A party of level 20's shouldn't have too much trouble with just a lich (though that might depend on party composition) .. if he has some minions it would be tougher.

The party may take casualties ... the lich spell list is mostly single target focused but it can only cast one per turn. There are a lot of spells that could take the lich out of the fight for a while and the lich only has 3 legendary resistances.

As for items:

If they are a legendary (as opposed to run of the mill lich ...)

Robe of the Arch Magi - +2 spell DC is too good to pass up - but the advantage on saves vs magic is also good.
Staff of the Magi - lots more spell options - magic resistance overlaps with robe - can absorb spells.

Plus one of the following would likely be good ... the cube of force is needs some creativity to use well but could be quite effective.

Boots of speed
Cloak of displacement
+3 Cloak/ring of protection
Cube of force - keep non-living matter out - cast globe of invulnerability - laugh while the barbarian tries to remove their armor fast enough to wrestle you out of the cube and globe - but kill him first. '
Luck Blade - with wishes
Ring of Three Wishes

... and put the following on the wall of the lab/lair.

Mirror of Life Trapping

P.S. Remember that if a wizard casts globe of invulnerability ... one of the most effective counters is to have the barbarian run in, grapple them, and drag them out of the globe since the globe is immobile.

All good ideas!! As I said above, I'm hesitant to put in the Robe of the Archmage, but otherwise everything makes total sense.

Tawmis
2018-11-12, 05:19 PM

There's very few items that a Lich wouldn't use.

Unless it's some kind of bold fashion statement that they wouldn't be caught dead in.

(See what I did there?)

Unoriginal
2018-11-12, 09:54 PM
Maybe a magic item that absorb divine magic used against him for his own use?

To link his capacity with his goals?

Erys
2018-11-12, 11:36 PM

Nice.

If you want to really embrace the idea of a powerful lich which has gathered powerful items in its long unlife, I would go for: the Robe of the Archmage, an infernal artifact (like the Book of Vile Darkness), and the Mastery Ioun Stone.

$$

Zanthy1
2018-11-13, 10:02 AM
Maybe a magic item that absorb divine magic used against him for his own use?

To link his capacity with his goals?

I love this. Maybe a ring or something that dampens divine magics, like half damage or half duration, and in return allows him to cast a weakened version of the same spell back at the caster as a reaction

Oramac
2018-11-13, 10:38 AM
Nice.

If you want to really embrace the idea of a powerful lich which has gathered powerful items in its long unlife, I would go for: the Robe of the Archmage, an infernal artifact (like the Book of Vile Darkness), and the Mastery Ioun Stone.

$$

Looking through it, those are some damn fine items. I'f I'm reading it right, it'll increase the save DC and spell attack bonus by 5, AC by 1 (from 17 to 18), Int save by 3, and other proficient saves by 1.

That's some powerful ****.

Thanks!