PDA

View Full Version : Asking about a site's legitimacy

HalfTangible
2018-11-12, 04:46 PM
So, bro has been looking at potentially building a gaming PC of his own to compete with mine cuz he's super jealous of both how well it performs and how awesome I am. He came across this site, letsbld (https://www.letsbld.com/) and he wanted to know what I'd heard about it.

The answer was nada, but I said I'd ask around.

Anyone know anything about this site?

Knaight
2018-11-12, 05:25 PM
It was unfamiliar, but the reviews they cited were in legitimate and known outlets, and I checked a few to make sure they actually existed; they all did.

Peelee
2018-11-12, 05:26 PM
So, bro has been looking at potentially building a gaming PC of his own to compete with mine cuz he's super jealous of both how well it performs and how awesome I am. He came across this site, letsbld (https://www.letsbld.com/) and he wanted to know what I'd heard about it.

The answer was nada, but I said I'd ask around.

Anyone know anything about this site?

Never heard of it before, but I went ahead and went a little bit through the process. It looks like it's just a (fairly nice looking and easy-to-use, I'll admit, if I'm correct) small site run by maybe a few guys who figured they could make money off building PCs for people. So I can't vouch for it either way, but I don't think there's any reason to distrust it. Nevermind that. It looks pretty legit. Their FAQ is also pretty nice. I'd say this is a pretty good site for people who want a more custom computer without wanting to put in the effort (and I don't mean this disparagingly towards those people, there's tons to have that mentality).

That said, your bro can build his own for cheaper, if he doesn't mind doing a little research and a little work (a more grown up version of LEGO assembly, is a good analogy).

thracian
2018-11-12, 07:19 PM
That's a legit service. It's run by NZXT, a premier case manufacturer (among other things). They've sponsored a variety of fairly well-known PC Youtube folk (Paul's Hardware, Linus Tech Tips, Bitwit, etc). The markup tends to not be particularly high, and it's certainly a fairly easy way to get a "custom" PC if you don't want to do it yourself.

HalfTangible
2018-11-13, 01:01 AM
That's a legit service. It's run by NZXT, a premier case manufacturer (among other things). They've sponsored a variety of fairly well-known PC Youtube folk (Paul's Hardware, Linus Tech Tips, Bitwit, etc). The markup tends to not be particularly high, and it's certainly a fairly easy way to get a "custom" PC if you don't want to do it yourself.

Never heard of it before, but I went ahead and went a little bit through the process. It looks like it's just a (fairly nice looking and easy-to-use, I'll admit, if I'm correct) small site run by maybe a few guys who figured they could make money off building PCs for people. So I can't vouch for it either way, but I don't think there's any reason to distrust it. Nevermind that. It looks pretty legit. Their FAQ is also pretty nice. I'd say this is a pretty good site for people who want a more custom computer without wanting to put in the effort (and I don't mean this disparagingly towards those people, there's tons to have that mentality).

That said, your bro can build his own for cheaper, if he doesn't mind doing a little research and a little work (a more grown up version of LEGO assembly, is a good analogy).

It was unfamiliar, but the reviews they cited were in legitimate and known outlets, and I checked a few to make sure they actually existed; they all did.

Much obliged, guys.

LordEntrails
2018-11-13, 02:42 PM
If your bro is going to do the work himself, I have always used pcpartpicker.com