PDA

View Full Version : A Bard, a Barbarian, and a Rogue walk into a Tavern

Master O'Laughs
2018-11-13, 08:56 AM
About to start a campaign this Thursday and I have been told the other players are planning on playing a bard, a barbarian, and a rogue.

I was wondering which class would complement them better between Shepard Druid or Shadow/Divine Soul Sorcerer.

I see Shepard druid as being able to handle the healing primarily for the group and the bard as a back up. It can also support the group and help with damage/action economy once I get conjure animals.

Sorcerer would add more punch but I guess I envision the sorcerer as more of a disabler and that might overlap with bard too much (so could shepard druid potentially).

Those are the 2 options I am most interested in playing as I currently am playing a fighter and a warlock in other campaigns. I do not have more info on what possible sub-class they would go currently.

thoughts an opinions are appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Misterwhisper
2018-11-13, 09:03 AM
About to start a campaign this Thursday and I have been told the other players are planning on playing a bard, a barbarian, and a rogue.

I was wondering which class would complement them better between Shepard Druid or Shadow/Divine Soul Sorcerer.

I see Shepard druid as being able to handle the healing primarily for the group and the bard as a back up. It can also support the group and help with damage/action economy once I get conjure animals.

Sorcerer would add more punch but I guess I envision the sorcerer as more of a disabler and that might overlap with bard too much (so could shepard druid potentially).

Those are the 2 options I am most interested in playing as I currently am playing a fighter and a warlock in other campaigns. I do not have more info on what possible sub-class they would go currently.

thoughts an opinions are appreciated, Thanks in advance!

I would not go with the sorcerer simply because you already have at least one high CHA character in the group.

A good Wis character would go very will.

Not a huge fan of shepard druid but it is not bad or anything, just not my style.

It kind of depends on what kind of rogue it is.
The bard will be a support guy with some minor damage but great control, it is what they do.
The barbarian will be front line muscle, it is what they do.
The rogue though could be melee, could be ranged, could be an AT and be an int caster, so could go lots of ways.

I would play druid out of those two choices.

If I was going to play anything I would go cleric.
Can front line, can melee, full casting, and great spell selection.

Master O'Laughs
2018-11-13, 09:08 AM
I would not go with the sorcerer simply because you already have at least one high CHA character in the group.

A good Wis character would go very will.

Not a huge fan of shepard druid but it is not bad or anything, just not my style.

It kind of depends on what kind of rogue it is.
The bard will be a support guy with some minor damage but great control, it is what they do.
The barbarian will be front line muscle, it is what they do.
The rogue though could be melee, could be ranged, could be an AT and be an int caster, so could go lots of ways.

I would play druid out of those two choices.

If I was going to play anything I would go cleric.
Can front line, can melee, full casting, and great spell selection.

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning Druid anyways so that helps. I have played 2 clerics before and wanted to try out druid. My issue had been Moon and Land druid never excited me, but shepard did.

Misterwhisper
2018-11-13, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was leaning Druid anyways so that helps. I have played 2 clerics before and wanted to try out druid. My issue had been Moon and Land druid never excited me, but shepard did.

I love the druid as a base class but their subclasses have never been that great in my opinion.

Land is too focused for if the campaign moves a lot.
Moon is just too much power, I do not like power gaming.
I have never liked summoning so shepard is not for me.
Circle of Dreams is a little too fey for my taste.

I miss my fury of nature druid, like a storm druid, more elemental and less animal.

LudicSavant
2018-11-13, 09:29 AM
Probably Druid. Bard almost certainly already has the Cha stuff covered. A high wis front-of-marching order spotter, on the other hand, might be left open.

Also, Sorcerers have no rituals. They’re pretty limited in terms of tricks compared to a druid. Oh, and if you go Druid, that entire party can be super stealthy.

nickl_2000
2018-11-13, 09:31 AM

Shepherd Druid excites you and it would be a good fit in the party. Run with it!

BobZan
2018-11-13, 09:45 AM
For that party I would recommend a Divine caster. Druid or Cleric. I'm supposing the Bard isn't Valor and the Rogue didn't get medium armor feat or fighter dip.

A heavy/medium armored cleric, moon druid or tortle druid (any circle) would be my advice. I explain: I think the party will lack that 2nd dude who can facetank some mobs while the rogue do his thing and the bard uses his support and control. The barbarian will do most part of facetanking and do good damage, while you can aid a little bit so he won't be overwhelmed.

RAW a druid can't wear metal armor, so his AC isn't that great, but DMs allow leather crafting medium armors, if that's the case you'll be good with any druid template.

Master O'Laughs
2018-11-13, 09:58 AM
All good stuff, Thanks everyone.

It sounds like Shepard druid is the way to go. I had completely forgotten about the tortle since I was only looking at Volo's and PHB for races. Depending on what the DM allows for his world, I am thinking Tortle or Lizardfolk would be fun.

As far as the other PCs, I only know the base class they are going since this Thursday is going to be character creation/session 0.

Misterwhisper
2018-11-13, 10:01 AM
All good stuff, Thanks everyone.

It sounds like Shepard druid is the way to go. I had completely forgotten about the tortle since I was only looking at Volo's and PHB for races. Depending on what the DM allows for his world, I am thinking Tortle or Lizardfolk would be fun.

As far as the other PCs, I only know the base class they are going since this Thursday is going to be character creation/session 0.

Any race works well, just kind of depends on where your character will be from.
Lizardfolk are pretty cool, but their personalities might make RPing in the group kind of odd.

nickl_2000
2018-11-13, 10:02 AM
RAW a druid can't wear metal armor, so his AC isn't that great, but DMs allow leather crafting medium armors, if that's the case you'll be good with any druid template.

If you are looking at full on RAW only, a Druid should be wearing spiked armor from SCAG. It's a medium armor with 14 base AC (and disadvantage on stealth checks). For most Druids, it is flat out the best option.

Spiked armor is a rare type of medium armor made by dwarves. It consists of a leather coat and leggings covered with spikes that are usually made of metal.

The usually here is the most important part. They can be made of other things, thorns, wood, animal teeth, many other things that don't break the Druid taboo.

Master O'Laughs
2018-11-13, 10:07 AM
If you are looking at full on RAW only, a Druid should be wearing spiked armor from SCAG. It's a medium armor with 14 base AC (and disadvantage on stealth checks). For most Druids, it is flat out the best option.

Spiked armor is a rare type of medium armor made by dwarves. It consists of a leather coat and leggings covered with spikes that are usually made of metal.

The usually here is the most important part. They can be made of other things, thorns, wood, animal teeth, many other things that don't break the Druid taboo.

I had seen that in a druid guide, thanks for reminding me. If I do not play a tortle or lizardfolk (who have better AC calculations) then I will aim for spiked armor for sure. Bone spikes (teeth or sharpened bone) sounds awesome.

Master O'Laughs
2018-11-13, 10:59 AM
I guess one other question I have (and this is heavily DM/world dependent), is what kind of magic items would I want to try and obtain if I have any say in it?

Cloak of resistance seems nice to help with AC and saving throws (specifically concentration).
Not sure which staffs are best for a druid or even usable (staff of defense is awesome but Druids do not have those spells on their list).

Also, cantrips:

I like thorn whip as a melee/range cantrip. I was thinking guidance and mold earth (depending on DM interpretation of loose earth) as well. Any particular attack cantrips that are must "haves"? If there is a favorable ruling for mold earth, would it be best off taken as a lvl 1 cantrip or wait til my third at level 4?

nickl_2000
2018-11-13, 11:08 AM
I guess one other question I have (and this is heavily DM/world dependent), is what kind of magic items would I want to try and obtain if I have any say in it?

Cloak of resistance seems nice to help with AC and saving throws (specifically concentration).
Not sure which staffs are best for a druid or even usable (staff of defense is awesome but Druids do not have those spells on their list).

Also, cantrips:

I like thorn whip as a melee/range cantrip. I was thinking guidance and mold earth (depending on DM interpretation of loose earth) as well. Any particular attack cantrips that are must "haves"? If there is a favorable ruling for mold earth, would it be best off taken as a lvl 1 cantrip or wait til my third at level 4?

Staff of the Woodlands is probably the best staff for a Druid. You can basically awaken something every day, and Wall of Thorns is a nasty wall spell. Plus at will pass without a trace is flat out amazing.

As for cantrips, if you don't have light Produce Flame gives both light and a ranged cantrip. Thorn whip is great for melee range. Mold earth is a quality battlefield spell. Guidance will be used pretty much constantly when you are nit in battle. Shape Water, Gust, Druidcraft, and mending are decent utility spells.

I would go Guidance and Produce Flame at level 1 personally. Then Mold Earth or Thorn Whip at level 4

Misterwhisper
2018-11-13, 11:13 AM

Also, cantrips:

Druids have it pretty easy on magic items, they don't really NEED anything specific.

Shillelagh is the only cantrip you really need but mold earth is very handy.

I would take:

Produce Flame: Works like a very handy torch at will, can be held or thrown if needed. Lower Priority if you have dark vision.
Shillelagh: Just plain great, magic weapon, wis to hit and damage and is a bonus action.

Thorn Whip is handy but not nearly as needed as one of the others.

Mold Earth is very handy for tons of things.

Master O'Laughs
2018-11-22, 03:11 PM
So I found out we are starting at level 5. My stats (rolled) are:

Str - 13
Dex - 14
Con - 19
Int - 12
Wis - 18
Cha - 11

I went Hill Dwarf since no lizardfolk exist in DMs world.

I have a question about feat/ASI, is resilient CON my best option? Not sure what else to take besides +2 Wisdom.

DM said as a dwarf, I can wear metal armor so I am starting with Breastplate for 18 AC with shield.

Will appreciate the input on feat/asis