PDA

View Full Version : Warlock of Tome, Lore Bard?

ErinNoble
2018-11-13, 10:14 AM
I was wondering if I missed something, but I thought of the huge amount of cherry picking what this class combination can do is as good as it looks like me? While it's expensive at fit, because it's late to get your 8 level, does it just seem delicious to me?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-11-13, 10:57 AM
I was wondering if I missed something, but I thought of the huge amount of cherry picking what this class combination can do is as good as it looks like me? While it's expensive at fit, because it's late to get your 8 level, does it just seem delicious to me?

Playing that combo now in a campaign, and, yeah, it's pretty great; I built the character to be good all sorts of things out of combat and then just throw Eldritch Blast a lot, typically using the concentration slot on Hex and just staying in the back. Outside of combat, he's the face of the party, plus thanks to Guidance and the Criminal background, more or less the Rogue. Once you hit level 5 in Warlock and get your Book of Shadows, you're drowning in spells.

It's a fun combo. You get all the utility of the invocations, plus the Bard support spells, and it's a pretty great mix.

Keravath
2018-11-13, 11:37 AM
The combination is great. I have a level 7 lore bard/ level 2 hexblade ... variant human, started as warlock with the resilient constitution feat.

Hexblade addresses some of the weaknesses in the lore bard (in my opinion).
- armor, shield and weapon proficiencies allowing for AC18 at level 1 in medium armor
- hex warrior - use charisma for weapon attacks
- hexblades curse - useful against more powerful opponents
- eldritch+agonizing blast for good at will damage for all levels
- shield and hex spells
- two short rest spell slots
- invocations (agonizing blast + one more)

Pact of the tome adds (if you take the ritual casting invocation to go with agonizing blast - though this means NOT taking devils sight or one of the other equally attractive invocations)
- Access to all ritual spells up to 2nd level (1/2 warlock level rounded up) ... good examples are Find Familiar, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Augury etc
- three additional cantrips of your choice from any class (very useful)

However, if you are in a campaign where you expect you might reach and play at level 20 there is a significant opportunity cost for the third level of warlock.

The level 18 bard magical secrets feature allows you to pick two spells from any spell list ... this is the only way a bard will get access to Wish, True Resurrection, Time Stop, Imprisonment, Meteor Swarm ... is giving up the top level of spells at level 20 worth the utility of level 1,2 ritual spells over the lifetime of the character? I don't know, depends on your goals and your campaign but it is worthwhile keeping the trade off in mind.