daremetoidareyo
2018-11-13, 10:45 AM
Group consists of

1 dwarf barbarian
1 elf monad psion
1 half elf ranger
1 OP wildcard
1 player

Bonus feat at first level. Ranger and Druid animal companion progressions are switched. All level 6. If the player has no spell like or su abilities from class levels, they can have two free martial Maneuvers from Tome of battle of up to level 3 with no recharge mechanic. No ghostwalk. LA 0 races only. All official first party sources, no dragmag.

Player always plays paladin in the past but expressed openness to other options. System mastery is low.

I was thinking Jester 3/fighter 2/something 1 with pike hedge, hold the line, combat reflexes, deft opportunist, ability focus taunt, and martial study counter charge. Force opponents to charge you, spear them to death at triple damage. It's a simple schtick, but I think he would like the aggro mechanic based on his preferred online character builds.

He never expressed interest in casters before, and to be honest, stepping into a prepared Caster that you didn't design is really difficult.

Any alternative ideas?

GrayDeath
2018-11-13, 11:33 AM
If they get Bonus maneuvers anyway why not give him a Crusader?

Paladin of another Breed the 2 maneuvers can be used to go MotN later on and the Recovery method is both fun and laughably easy to play. )

Goaty14
2018-11-13, 12:14 PM
If they get Bonus maneuvers anyway why not give him a Crusader?

Aren't at least some of the crusader's maneuvers already (Su) though?

Seconding the Crusader though. If you're IRL, then print out the maneuver cards. If you're PbP, then make him a Warblade instead :smallwink:

winteranfang
2018-11-13, 09:13 PM
Venerable Dragonwrought Desert Kobold Sorcerer 5/Sandshaper 1 with Greater Draconic Rite of Passage feat at level 6 is fun to play. The kobold has standart 6 level sorcerer casting (7 CL with Dust Magic from Sandshaper 1), a lot of bonus spells knowns and good stats. (Sorcerer is a good class for the beginners who want to play a spellcaster, as the spells knowns are fixed.)

The advancement can be Sandshaper levels or Incantatrix Prc.

bean illus
2018-11-14, 08:56 AM
You don't have a cleric.
Make a battle cleric. At these levels you'll start needing condition removal.

Cleric spells are, imo, easier to start with. Keep him in buffs and debuffs at first.

Divine power @ 7th will keep him up with the martials. Since the player is not Opie, the cleric won't be either.

You also don't have a face. But he might not be in to that.

Zaq
2018-11-14, 09:07 AM
Group consists of

1 dwarf barbarian
1 elf monad psion
1 half elf ranger
1 OP wildcard
1 player

Bonus feat at first level. Ranger and Druid animal companion progressions are switched. All level 6. If the player has no spell like or su abilities from class levels, they can have two free martial Maneuvers from Tome of battle of up to level 3 with no recharge mechanic. No ghostwalk. LA 0 races only. All official first party sources, no dragmag.

Player always plays paladin in the past but expressed openness to other options. System mastery is low.

I was thinking Jester 3/fighter 2/something 1 with pike hedge, hold the line, combat reflexes, deft opportunist, ability focus taunt, and martial study counter charge. Force opponents to charge you, spear them to death at triple damage. It's a simple schtick, but I think he would like the aggro mechanic based on his preferred online character builds.

He never expressed interest in casters before, and to be honest, stepping into a prepared Caster that you didn't design is really difficult.

Any alternative ideas?

If the Psion is the only monad, are the rest all dvati?

:smalltongue:

Anyway, slightly more serious, Warlock and DFA can be fun ways for people like the fellow you described to start exploring feeling magical without all the baggage that comes with traditional casters.

I second/third/whatever the notion that Crusaders are incredibly user-friendly and fun, assuming that he can handle shuffling a small deck of power cards.

Scout or Swift Hunter are fun ways to add a little tactical spice to round-by-round combat without going magical. Decent skill utility, too.

Raxxius
2018-11-14, 11:08 AM
Crusader is very easy to play, quite a lot of fun if you take battlefield control and team buffs he'll be effective and can fluff as a paladin