PDA

View Full Version : Guessing What's next for Sabine?

Paschendale
2018-11-13, 11:29 AM
The Linear Guild is all but gone. Nale is dead and not coming back. Sabine's loyalty to her IFCC bosses may be reduced if she blames them for failing to protect him, and she established a very basic mutual understanding with V. As the most potent of the IFCC's known agents, she'll most likely be involved in the conflict for the final gate, but what role will she play? Whose side will she be on? Her animosity towards the Order may be significantly reduced and instead focused on Tarquin. She may even find herself reluctantly helping them out, possibly to keep them going so that Elan can later return and defeat his father and (at least in her eyes) avenge Nale.

Ever since seeing her reaction to Nale's death and helping V a little, I've been looking forward to seeing what Sabine will do the next time we see her. What do the rest of you think?

JeenLeen
2018-11-13, 11:36 AM
I think she likely won't be involved much more.

While she might be upset with the IFCC about Nale dying, they didn't (as far as we can tell) purposefully maneuver anything to cause his death. Though your argument did make me think that she might show up alongside them, either helping them or with a last-minute betrayal to help the OoTS. I think it's more likely that she, any former of the Linear Guild (excepting Hilgya), and Tarquin are all in the past.

D.One
2018-11-13, 11:47 AM
The Linear Guild is all but gone. Nale is dead and not coming back. Sabine's loyalty to her IFCC bosses may be reduced if she blames them for failing to protect him, and she established a very basic mutual understanding with V. As the most potent of the IFCC's known agents, she'll most likely be involved in the conflict for the final gate, but what role will she play? Whose side will she be on? Her animosity towards the Order may be significantly reduced and instead focused on Tarquin. She may even find herself reluctantly helping them out, possibly to keep them going so that Elan can later return and defeat his father and (at least in her eyes) avenge Nale.

Ever since seeing her reaction to Nale's death and helping V a little, I've been looking forward to seeing what Sabine will do the next time we see her. What do the rest of you think?

Since we have only her and Qarr as named servants of the IFCC, I think she might appear when they make their move. That said, I fully expect her to be part of some epilogue scene helping with the fall of Tarquin.

Fyraltari
2018-11-13, 11:50 AM
This. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html) makes me think that she will have to choose between her loyalty to the Directors and her revenge against Tarquin at some point.

D.One
2018-11-13, 11:59 AM
This. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html) makes me think that she will have to choose between her loyalty to the Directors and her revenge against Tarquin at some point.

Been thinking about Qarr specific choice of words there:

"All I know is that the last bad girl I met that chose that stupid mortal face over her master... Let's just say it didn't end well for her."

that stupid mortal face...

Something of Nale's past? Or Tarquin's past?

Edit: Forget it... now I see he's probably talking about Elan & Therkla

Kish
2018-11-13, 12:06 PM
Indeed. And, perhaps ironically, Sabine is likely on course to do better than Therkla because she doesn't seem to be trying to have it both ways; her attitude toward Vaarsuvius suggests. at least to me, someone who no longer prioritizes the interests of the IFCC at all.

Resileaf
2018-11-13, 12:28 PM
Indeed. And, perhaps ironically, Sabine is likely on course to do better than Therkla because she doesn't seem to be trying to have it both ways; her attitude toward Vaarsuvius suggests. at least to me, someone who no longer prioritizes the interests of the IFCC at all.

To be fair, helping the order win against Tarquin is not against the interests of the IFCC. If anything, it's still in their interests since they want the conflict between the Order and Xykon to continue.
Otherwise, the IFCC seems to favor a rather hands-off approach. They don't control Sabine drectly, they just give her a task and let her do things her way. She could potentially have conflict with Qarr though, since she might blame him for abandoning Nale.

She'll most likely appear whenever the IFCC makes their next move. Unless Tarquin also shows up somehow, she probably won't have any role to help the Order with anything.

Gift Jeraff
2018-11-13, 01:55 PM
I think she likely won't be involved much more.

While she might be upset with the IFCC about Nale dying, they didn't (as far as we can tell) purposefully maneuver anything to cause his death. Though your argument did make me think that she might show up alongside them, either helping them or with a last-minute betrayal to help the OoTS. I think it's more likely that she, any former of the Linear Guild (excepting Hilgya), and Tarquin are all in the past.

Sabine still has a role to play:

One key development during this second skirmish was the banishment of Sabine in #860. Nale’s arc for this book involves him slowly being stripped of the support system to which he’s become accustomed. First, Thog didn’t climb out of the rubble Roy dropped on him. Now, his closest confidant and lover Sabine is literally dismissed. He’s being backed into a corner that he’s never been in before, and it causes him to rely more on his own (flawed) instincts. For her part, Sabine still has plenty left to do in her role as agent for the IFCC, so we haven’t seen the last of her regardless.

Kish
2018-11-13, 02:11 PM
Sabine wouldn't have been whispering in Vaarsuvius' ear when she told them about the Vector Legion's weaknesses if she thought her bosses would be okay with what she was doing.

Resileaf
2018-11-13, 02:21 PM
Sabine wouldn't have been whispering in Vaarsuvius' ear when she told them about the Vector Legion's weaknesses if she thought her bosses would be okay with what she was doing.

Sure, they might have told her to stop if they knew, but it's not explicitely against their orders to give V tips, is it?

Peelee
2018-11-13, 02:22 PM
There's also the foreshadowing at the end of 804: Where Her Loyalties Lie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html).

Fyraltari
2018-11-13, 02:29 PM
There's also the foreshadowing at the end of 804: Where Her Loyalties Lie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html).
Copycat.

:smalltongue:

Peelee
2018-11-13, 02:55 PM
Copycat.

:smalltongue:

I choose to believe that was originally in French. And invisible.

Fyraltari
2018-11-13, 03:00 PM
I choose to believe that was originally in French. And invisible.
That's fair.
Quelle mauvaise foi.

Rrmcklin
2018-11-13, 03:13 PM
I'm not actually seeing a reason Sabine's loyalty and wanting revenge against Tarquin should come into conflict, especially since I have my doubts we're ever even going to seriously focus on Tarquin and his group again.

As for Sabine's loyalty weakening because the IFCC didn't protect Nale; that was never a thing in the first place.

Fyraltari
2018-11-13, 03:14 PM
I'm not actually seeing a reason Sabine's loyalty and wanting revenge against Tarquin should come into conflict, especially since I have my doubts we're ever even going to seriously focus on Tarquin and his group again.

The IFCC is in need of new pawns and the Vector Legion is worried about the Snarl (most likely) and don't know where the last Gate is.

Morquard
2018-11-13, 05:48 PM
The IFCC is in need of new pawns and the Vector Legion is worried about the Snarl (most likely) and don't know where the last Gate is.

That is actually my guess too. The IFCC sends Sabine to be a liason to Tarquin. They have a history (apparently before she was involved with Nale) and they might not realize her feelings for Nale.
Or maybe worse - she finds out somehow later that the IFCC has been using and helping Tarquin behind her back.

Grey Watcher
2018-11-13, 06:03 PM
What's next for Sabine is a chilling performance of the Epiphany from Sweeney Todd. :smalltongue:

Resileaf
2018-11-13, 08:06 PM
That is actually my guess too. The IFCC sends Sabine to be a liason to Tarquin. They have a history (apparently before she was involved with Nale) and they might not realize her feelings for Nale.

Sabine smashed their teevo when Nale died. I'm sure they know how she feels about him. :smalltongue:

Riftwolf
2018-11-13, 08:35 PM
While I think Sabines part isn't over and her story unresolved, I also think that she can't really return unless on the IFCCs behalf. Perhaps her return will be like Crystal/Bozzok; an interlude at the first part of the last book which tiea a bow on the whole subplot.
I doubt Sabine will be responsible for Tarquins downfall. I've not much to base this on, but it feels like what's happening on the Western Continent is an IFCC scheme.

Doctor West
2018-11-13, 09:23 PM
Sabine smashed their teevo when Nale died. I'm sure they know how she feels about him. :smalltongue:

Minor nitpick, Xykon's the one who owns a teevo. Sabine smashed their HD blood-plasma screen.

Snails
2018-11-13, 09:41 PM
Sabine does not know whether the IFCC would disapprove of passing information to V. We have no reason to believe she understands their plans any more than us Readers. However, since she does not know, it is more practical to secretly pass information that is not in direct violation of any order than find out the IFCC wants you to stop.

I am convinced that Sabine will reappear. I am at a bit of a loss about the how. Since Tarquin has a Ring of True Seeing, her polymorph tricks will not work on him directly. It is, perhaps, possible to screw over Tarquin by pretending to be someone...like Tarquin.

Morquard
2018-11-13, 10:00 PM

Or they think "Oh damn, she really took it personal that she failed in her mission with Nale... oh well, once she gets a new one she can proof herself again."

All I'm saying is they might underestimate just how far her loyalties have shifted there.

DuctTapeKatar
2018-11-13, 10:26 PM
I think that Sabine will be coming back, especially since we have just gotten a large amount of detail on how the holy powers work in OOTS. The IFCC has regular contact with deities (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html) as well as have the capacity to negotiate with them (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html) (with some difficulty, sometimes, but still). That they can talk down Tiamat and that two of their subordinates just so happen to have encountered the Order on multiple occasions only cements in my mind that they are all coming back, and coming soon.

Maybe Nale can come back as well, maybe as an intern, since he has a fiendish girlfriend that still likes him and he is egotistical enough that being an underling could be his form of hell.

Rrmcklin
2018-11-13, 11:24 PM
Or they think "Oh damn, she really took it personal that she failed in her mission with Nale... oh well, once she gets a new one she can proof herself again."

All I'm saying is they might underestimate just how far her loyalties have shifted there.

There's no place for her loyalty to shift. Nale is gone and won't be coming back, and you can't blame them for that. Nale dying making Sabine less loyal to the IFCC makes no sense.

Resileaf
2018-11-14, 12:41 AM
Minor nitpick, Xykon's the one who owns a teevo. Sabine smashed their HD blood-plasma screen.
Right, they were talking about recording on a fiendish teevo afterwards.

Grey Watcher
2018-11-14, 10:37 AM
There's no place for her loyalty to shift. Nale is gone and won't be coming back, and you can't blame them for that. Nale dying making Sabine less loyal to the IFCC makes no sense.

It does potentially change her priorities though. While she might have been trying to keep both Nale and the IFCC happy before, she seems angry enough now that she might be willing to say "Screw the FCC!" and just outright abandon them in favor of a chance to smack Tarquin around. Sort of like an angrier version of V with Inky; losing the person emphasizes how important they were to you in the first place.

Resileaf
2018-11-14, 10:42 AM
Wouldn't Sabine be able to visit Nale's soul any time she wants now that he's dead?
If Windstriker can visit Miko in the afterlife, I see no reason that Sabine couldn't either.

Fyraltari
2018-11-14, 01:28 PM
Wouldn't Sabine be able to visit Nale's soul any time she wants now that he's dead?
If Windstriker can visit Miko in the afterlife, I see no reason that Sabine couldn't either.

I see 2:

1) He's Lawful, she's Chaotic.

2) Miko, wherever she is, is not in a place where everybody is actually trying to ruin your day.

zimmerwald1915
2018-11-14, 01:33 PM
I see 2:

1) He's Lawful, she's Chaotic.
She works for an Archdevil. Also, Nale might not be Lawful.

Fyraltari
2018-11-14, 01:36 PM
She works for an Archdevil. Also, Nale might not be Lawful.

Good points.

martianmister
2018-11-14, 06:21 PM
Best thing she could do for him would be hiring Nale as an intern for IFCC.

Fyraltari
2018-11-14, 06:31 PM
Best thing she could do for him would be hiring Nale as an intern for IFCC.

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Nale_zpsrdirlmip.png So... You are not going to torture me, then?

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Cedrik_zpsb94egf4k.png No. Now, bring us coffee.

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Nale_zpsrdirlmip.png Nooooooooooo!

Rrmcklin
2018-11-14, 06:54 PM
It does potentially change her priorities though. While she might have been trying to keep both Nale and the IFCC happy before, she seems angry enough now that she might be willing to say "Screw the FCC!" and just outright abandon them in favor of a chance to smack Tarquin around. Sort of like an angrier version of V with Inky; losing the person emphasizes how important they were to you in the first place.

I've seen no evidence of that either. And more to the point, I don't see that happening because Tarquin's part in the story is over, and if Sabine is coming back to do stuff, it'll be stuff that actually matters to the larger plot.

Sabine is not big enough of a character that I could see shifting focus to her personal vendetta not being a huge waste of time, and though it may be presumptuous on my part, I imagine the Giant would agree with that sentiment.

D.One
2018-11-15, 04:45 AM
https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Nale_zpsrdirlmip.png So... You are not going to tortur me, then?

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Cedrik_zpsb94egf4k.png No. Now, bring us coffee.

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Nale_zpsrdirlmip.png Nooooooooooo!

LOL.

That's the OotSpirit!

On a side note, if the Giant ever hires an intern, I hope it's you...:smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2018-11-15, 04:53 AM
LOL.

That's the OotSpirit!

On a side note, if the Giant ever hires an intern, I hope it's you...:smallbiggrin:

Thank you, man, that's much appreciated.