PDA

View Full Version : How long does this ability last? It doesn't say.

jaappleton
2018-11-13, 12:30 PM
Taken from the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, as well as the Unearthed Arcana article on Dragonmarks, which you can find here- https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Dragonmarks.pdf :

From the Mark of the Sentinel subrace for Humans:

Vigilant Guardian. As an action, you can
designate an ally you can see as your ward. You
have advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and
Wisdom (Perception) checks made to spot
threats to your ward. In addition, when you are
within 5 feet of your ward, and that creature is
the target of an attack that you can see, you can
use your reaction to swap places with your ward.
When you do, you become the target of the
attack.

It has no duration. Does it last until the end of your next turn? For a minute? Until the end of a short or long rest?

I tweeted Jeremy Crawford & Mike Mearls, but I don't expect an answer.

So I ask you all... What's the duration?

nickl_2000
2018-11-13, 12:32 PM
Taken from the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, as well as the Unearthed Arcana article on Dragonmarks:

From the Mark of the Sentinel subrace for Humans:

Vigilant Guardian. As an action, you can
designate an ally you can see as your ward. You
have advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and
Wisdom (Perception) checks made to spot
threats to your ward. In addition, when you are
within 5 feet of your ward, and that creature is
the target of an attack that you can see, you can
use your reaction to swap places with your ward.
When you do, you become the target of the
attack.

It has no duration. Does it last until the end of your next turn? For a minute? Until the end of a short or long rest?

I tweeted Jeremy Crawford & Mike Mearls, but I don't expect an answer.

So I ask you all... What's the duration?

I don't have the book to see if there is anything else, but in looking at the phrasing I would say it last until you either designate someone else or the end of a long rest. Does it have a limit on the amount of uses per day in another paragraph?

jaappleton
2018-11-13, 12:33 PM
I don't have the book to see if there is anything else, but in looking at the phrasing I would say it last until you either designate someone else or the end of a long rest. Does it have a limit on the amount of uses per day in another paragraph?

Nope. That's the end of the subrace.

I'll link to the UA article in the OP.

nickl_2000
2018-11-13, 12:40 PM
Nope. That's the end of the subrace.

I'll link to the UA article in the OP.

Thanks. So RAW based on the UA is that it lasts forever and you are not able to end it, also you can use it on as many people as you want.

At a table I were running, I would have it be 1 ward at a time and it lasts until you designate someone else as the ward (not at the end of a rest).

jaappleton
2018-11-13, 01:07 PM
An update from Keith Baker himself:

https://twitter.com/HellcowKeith/status/1062404329259229184

"It lasts until you designate a new target for the effect. It's only useful if you are in line of sight of your ward (to spot threats) or within 5 ft for the secondary effect. But essentially, you're an expert bodyguard and can focus your talents on one person at a time." -Keith Baker

Well, OK then. Solves that.

I was just worried it was some sort of "until the end of your next turn" thing, which would render it nearly useless.

Nifft
2018-11-13, 01:10 PM
Heh. The effect lasts until the end of your contract, or until the end of your employer -- whichever comes first.