PDA

View Full Version : swashbucklet gish?

tannish2
2007-09-19, 05:39 PM
i heard about this somewhere, seems like a good idea any suggestions for how to not lose so many caster levels and BAB? at what level does it become viable? anyway, any info you can give me would be happy.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-19, 06:09 PM
So... You'll need three levels to justify taking the class in the first place. You also have the issue of armored casting.

So the primay intelligence based casters (as a starting point):
Beguiler
Duskblade
Wizard
Psion
Psychic Rogue

Beguiler will go first because it actually might work well, though you'd be more of a skill-guy than a real gish. Six levels would get you free-action feinting and Arcane Strike on top of Insightful Strike would get you some damage output, but your spells would allow you to avoid combat in most situations.

Duskblade would make Swashbuckler fairly superfluous as it already has a pretty good damage output and the dip will hurt, pushing spell levels even further back. This actually might be a decent idea just for simplicity's sake, but a Duskblade with Weapon Finesse would fill the role just as well (if not better).

Wizard will be your standard go-to. Swashbuckler 3/Wizard 4/Abjurant Champion 5/[Eldrich Knight/Knight Phantom] 8 would be simple and moderately effective. There are better builds, but this provides the skeleton of the concept.

In each of these cases, you'll want Arcane Strike since it does good things for your damage.

Psion would be interesting, particularly Egoists. You could probably go Egoist 1/Swashbuckler 3/Egoist 1/Slayer 10 (It's sort of cheesy with its Mind-Flayer focus, but it is good)/Egoist 5 (at this point Base attack and the like don't matter as much as milking your Manifester levels).

Psychic Rogue would be interesting. I don't know how good it would be, but it could be neat. PsyRogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/PsyRogue 16 could be nice if you focused on two-weapon fighting. Again, though, Swashbuckler doesn't do much to improve the rest of the build.

Egoist/Slayer or Wizard/Abjurant Champion/Eldrich Knight would probably be your best bets. They're just a frame though. If someone had the proper books and time, I'm sure they could show these up quite well.

I threw this into the other thread.

tannish2
2007-09-19, 11:04 PM
oops sorry about this was having internet problems and mustve double posted, could a mod delete this thread? the other one seems to be the active one