PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Halfing Rogue, multiclass into fighter or not?

Waffle_Iron
2018-11-13, 04:35 PM
I have a rare opportunity to play in a game, rather than GM one.
I've already made my character selection, and played the first session so, barring death, I'm locked into my character.

Here's some numbers:

Lightfoot Halfling, Cook Background, Rogue 1

Str: 10
Dex: 16, Acrobatics, Stealth, Sleight of Hand
Con 14
Int: 8
Wis: 10, Insight
Cha 16, Persuasion (expertise), Performance

My background as a cook is the skill selections from guild artisan, and the gear and feature from folk hero, to reflect my down-home cooking. :)
For flavor, I'm sticking with a sling for now, but will likely trade to a shortbow later.

My initial plan was to stick with rogue, choose mastermind and be helpful from a distance, while keeping myself out of harms way.
A thought occurred to me recently, and I'm uncertain of it's merit: Multiclass in Fighter (Samurai), perhaps only to level 5-7.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Anything you need to know?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-13, 04:44 PM
I have a rare opportunity to play in a game, rather than GM one.
I've already made my character selection, and played the first session so, barring death, I'm locked into my character.

Here's some numbers:

Lightfoot Halfling, Cook Background, Rogue 1

Str: 10
Dex: 16, Acrobatics, Stealth, Sleight of Hand
Con 14
Int: 8
Wis: 10, Insight
Cha 16, Persuasion (expertise), Performance

My background as a cook is the skill selections from guild artisan, and the gear and feature from folk hero, to reflect my down-home cooking. :)
For flavor, I'm sticking with a sling for now, but will likely trade to a shortbow later.

My initial plan was to stick with rogue, choose mastermind and be helpful from a distance, while keeping myself out of harms way.
A thought occurred to me recently, and I'm uncertain of it's merit: Multiclass in Fighter (Samurai), perhaps only to level 5-7.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Anything you need to know?

It heavily depends on what you're looking for. Samurai work well when you have few fights per day that are exceptionally difficult. They also work best as frontliners, to best utilize their temporary HP. Their Bonus Action use competes with a Rogue's movement/hide effects, so the main catch is that it'd really only help you if you can't do stealth.

My recommendation is actually going with Battlemaster. Almost all of your abilities can be used at range, your abilities generally don't compete with your Bonus Action, and you'll regularly be hidden as long as you can find some cover (just did a bunch of research into hiding and attacking, here's the official info on it: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/135473/when-does-a-hidden-opponent-that-is-moving-become-visible). With something like Feint Attack, you can grant yourself advantage at range, and you'll have the defensive and offensive capabilities needed to perform well as a dual wielder. Maybe grab Medium Armor Master to best utilize that 16 Dex and max out your AC at the same time.