PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Card Dealer

Ravnir
2018-11-14, 01:46 AM
found this site while looking and google'ing for a card slinger homebrew.

http ://gdnd.wikidot.com/classhb:card-dealer
Gonna play DnD 5e for the first time in some years and have gotten permission to play a Goblin based on Volo's monsters ^^
so I was thinking of being a Card dealer like in the link, with charlatan background of course.
but wanted to ask here if that link is viable to use commonly? and any help for a build for this. had other ideas, but Magic is apparently criminalized in his world. so I thought this could be fun.

already have permission to play another party homebrew class, Druid circle of spores but after hearing that magic is criminalized I might think that will just make it complicated for myself (not that this might be that different :P)

But wanted some feedback and possibly different ideas for this.

Fuzzy Logic
2018-11-14, 06:41 AM
So circle of spores druid isn't home brew, it's unearthed arcana ( Dev playtest material) or published content from guild of ravnica. Always run all home brew past your DM. I tend to need a very good reason to allow home brew (and haven't yet) as it is very rarely balanced and most concepts can be made using regular classes.

xroads
2018-11-14, 10:47 AM
Back when WotC first pushed out d20 as a open source license, Pinnacle Entertainment Group came out with d20 version of Deadlands. Deadlands included rules for the Huckster, a magical poker player that gambled with demons for magic spells.

In game mechanics, this meant playing a hand of poker with DM to try and get more magic. But you did so at a risk, Because if you lost, the DM took control of your character as an NPC for awhile!

Hucksters were fun casters that had access to spells such as Texas Twister. This spell whipped a deck of cards into a whirlwind that you could use to attack your foes.

The d20 system is few versions removed from the current 5e system. But it can probably be converted pretty easily. And hopefully your DM will let you convert some of their spells as well.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-14, 11:33 AM
Check out this Homebrew that was in a contest a while back:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23408638&postcount=4

It's main gimmick is that you have extra Warlock spell slots that you can play for free, but the spells you can cast are predetermined by a real (smaller, modified) card deck you use which represents available spells. It allows you to cast an additional Charisma Mod or Warlock level (whichever is lower) in spells per day, which is a good boon for Warlocks.

You also get proficiencies in card related skills (like the card game, or Sleight of Hand).