View Full Version : Dungeon of the Mad Mage: anyone got it yet?

Unoriginal
2018-11-14, 06:59 AM
Question's in the title.

I get the impression the attention for its D&D Beyond release was eaten by the Ravnica's book being released at the same time.

Got to read a bit of it, it has some pretty nice stuff.

Notably a Spelljammer.

dejarnjc
2018-11-14, 10:53 AM
I imagine it will get more attention once people are able to get the hardback copies and aren't limited to just D&D Beyond.

Reviews for it have been good.

Eragon123
2018-11-14, 11:05 AM
I have a Hardback. AMA.

Sigreid
2018-11-14, 11:10 AM
Honestly, I just missed that it had been released. I'll grab the FG version this evening.

Bel-Torac
2018-11-15, 11:59 AM
I got it at my flgs on the 9th and just ran the first level yesterday. So far it's pretty good with 23 levels. There are spellbooks literally everywhere on every level so it's heaven for a wizard. Pretty much almost everything in the monster manual is there since it's 5 to 20. I still have yet to see all the magic items, but the only one that stands out is a sword of sharpness. I'll most likely be playing it with my war wizard so I'll reap the benefits. So far my players are halfway through the first level.

The crawling can get tedious so I just give players the map and to tell me where they want to go to make it quicker. The $24.99 map pack is just hardstock of the maps and cards you find in the book and not really worth it unless you don't want to make a photocopy.

First few levels lots of bugbears, goblins (from Xanathars guild), drow, there is a evil hogwarts, mindflayers, gith, a lich, undead beholder, celestials, and lots of wizards to fight. First few levels are dungeon crawls then each other level is like going to a different land or dungeon. Sort of like Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory but you fight the Oompa Loompa's on steroids.

Unoriginal
2018-11-15, 12:14 PM
I don't think I'll ever run DotMM, but if I'm ever including Halaster in anything I run I'll do my best to make him sound (and act) like an evil version of Merlin from "The Sword in the Stone".

https://youtu.be/Tb75RjpvBIk

Waterdeep Merch
2018-11-15, 01:01 PM
Anyone know how well it connects with Dragon Heist? I just started DMing it and promised to run Dungeon of the Mad Mage as a continuation provided that it turned out good.

I see some references to Xanathar guild members, but is there anything else?

Unoriginal
2018-11-15, 01:19 PM
Anyone know how well it connects with Dragon Heist? I just started DMing it and promised to run Dungeon of the Mad Mage as a continuation provided that it turned out good.

I see some references to Xanathar guild members, but is there anything else?

Some of Dragon Heist characters have quests and missions for the PCs, and you can go back to Waterdeep when the way is clear.

It *is* a very different adventure, though.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-15, 05:09 PM
Any mention of Skullport in it?

Bel-Torac
2018-11-15, 05:23 PM
Any mention of Skullport in it?

Yes, it's there and has it's own map. I haven't read it completely yet, but it's just a city down there so far.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-15, 06:01 PM
Yes, it's there and has it's own map. I haven't read it completely yet, but it's just a city down there so far.

Glad to hear it, would've been bummed if it wasn't in there.