PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Humor Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permission

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

danielxcutter
2021-02-23, 03:34 AM
*I can't make a monk/warlock gestalt and treat my warlock invocations and eldritch blasts as ki manipulation.
**I can't name myself "Goku."

Isn't there a 5e Monk subclass that's literally that?

Anonymouswizard
2021-02-23, 08:21 AM
Isn't there a 5e Monk subclass that's literally that?

Sun Soul Monk. It's not the best, but I believe it's better than The Way of the Four Elements.

* My One Unique Thing cannot be that I'm the half-sibling of every major political figure.
** My goal cannot be to may every Icon.
* Renaissance Man is not a valid background.

Rater202
2021-02-23, 09:42 AM
*When the entire party consists of half-dragons, don't form romantic relationships with other members of the party.
**Especially when the GM insists that we all be the same color, and all have a dragon father than we didn't know.
***In hindsight it's obvious that he intends us to be half-siblings.
****Can't double down on the relationship after the reveal.
*****Pointing out that elves and dwarves aren't interfertile and that we're both biologically female somehow makes it worse.

Not real, but it's something I can easily imagine happening if the GM isn't clear with their intentions right off the bat.

John Campbell
2021-02-25, 02:30 AM
*I am not permitted to set fire to the moat during the siege.
**Especially since we're the ones laying siege and it just means we can't get our guys across.
***I have to explain how I intend to set the water on fire.

**** I may not actually have an answer to that question.
***** Major creation cannot create chlorine trifluoride.

(Chlorine trifluoride, ClF3, is possibly the most aggressive fluoridator known to man. The fluorine will kick oxygen (which is itself no slouch about forcing its way into molecules that were perfectly happy without it) right out of compounds, which means that it will ignite on contact things that we would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone. Like water. Or ashes. Or sand.

The boiling clouds of hydrofluoric acid are merely a courtesy detail.)

Lord Torath
2021-02-25, 08:44 AM
****** The DM may have a harder time forbidding naphtha/greek fire, which has been known to float on water.

Rater202
2021-02-25, 11:18 AM
**** I may not actually have an answer to that question.
***** Major creation cannot create chlorine trifluoride.

(Chlorine trifluoride, ClF3, is possibly the most aggressive fluoridator known to man. The fluorine will kick oxygen (which is itself no slouch about forcing its way into molecules that were perfectly happy without it) right out of compounds, which means that it will ignite on contact things that we would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone. Like water. Or ashes. Or sand.

The boiling clouds of hydrofluoric acid are merely a courtesy detail.)

My understanding is that it is one of the deadliest substances known to man.

danielxcutter
2021-02-25, 11:22 AM
My understanding is that it is one of the deadliest substances known to man.

Is that any worse than dioxygen difluoride? Heard about that thanks to xkcd (https://what-if.xkcd.com/40/). That stuff's seriously nasty.

Rater202
2021-02-25, 11:44 AM
Is that any worse than dioxygen difluoride? Heard about that thanks to xkcd (https://what-if.xkcd.com/40/). That stuff's seriously nasty.Imagine fire that burns glass, sand, and water.

Now imagine that its smoke is a deadly poison.

It can be contained in certain metals with a certain kind of coating, but the only solution for if there's a breach is to run like Hell.

FOOF burns hotter, but Chlorine trifluoride is scarier.

Lord Raziere
2021-02-25, 11:46 AM
Is that any worse than dioxygen difluoride? Heard about that thanks to xkcd (https://what-if.xkcd.com/40/). That stuff's seriously nasty.

I think Chlorine Trifluoride wins out by the fact a spill of it like, 900kg once burned through 30cm of concrete and 90cm of gravel underneath. 02F2 ignites with almost any organic substance. Chlorine Trifluoride does that AND reacts with inorganic ones we normally think of as fireproof as well. :smalleek:

* May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride jutsu, kekkei genkai or kekkei touta
** May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride Quirk, X-Men mutant or Spiderman villain
*** Discovering Chlorine Trifluoride in the world of Fullmetal Alchemist is right out

Rater202
2021-02-25, 11:51 AM
I think Chlorine Trifluoride wins out by the fact a spill of it like, 900kg once burned through 30cm of concrete and 90cm of gravel underneath. 02F2 ignites with almost any organic substance. Chlorine Trifluoride does that AND reacts with inorganic ones we normally think of as fireproof as well. :smalleek:

* May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride jutsu, kekkei genkai or kekkei touta
** May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride Quirk, X-Men mutant or Spiderman villain
*** Discovering Chlorine Trifluoride in the world of Fullmetal Alchemist is right out

...I mean, technically there's a Spider-Man associated character who can do that.

He's not a villain per say, but Sleeper, the seventh offspring of the Venom Symbiote, has high-level chemokinesis and can create any liquid or gaseous substance as well as custom chemicals to do whatever effect it needs.

You could argue that a creature that's weak to fire shouldn't be able to make flaming chemicals... But it can canonically generate napalm.

danielxcutter
2021-02-25, 11:55 AM
Doesn't sound worse than O2F2, because that makes ice burn and it's also deadly poison, but still nasty I guess. Or does O2F2 not burn gravel?

Rater202
2021-02-25, 12:03 PM
*I can't use Foof and Chlorine Trifluoride to burn fire elementsls to death.
**I can use them when fighting Mephistopheles* and laugh at him about how it's better than his Hellfire without using any magic.

*The D&D one, lord of the 8th, ruler of a plane of ice and fire, invented Hellfire which in D&D is a magical substance that burns things without actually doing firedamage.

Lord Raziere
2021-02-25, 12:08 PM
Rater, don't give the comic book writers ideas. I don't think they write such abilities with these dangerous chemicals in mind

@ daniel: we don't technically know I guess, I tried looking that question up, but it doesn't say that it reacts with gravel, only the organic stuff like ammonia or water ice. but O2F2 doesn't seem to be as well-tested or well known as Chlorine Trifluoride so....who knows? I mean you can try finding out, but.....probably not a wise idea.....

* Any M&M character that can create, transmute things into, or transform themselves into chlorine trifluoride I make is banned
** Any Wild Talents character that can do any chlorine trifluoride related power that doesn't involve getting rid of it that I make is banned
*** There is no godbound character with a Word relating to Chlorine Trifluoride.

Rater202
2021-02-25, 12:42 PM
*When playing Marvel Superheroes and told to make "spider-man" tier characters, I can't cite the time that an android with the best approximation of Spider-Man's powers that Kang te conqueror could build defeated Captain America, Giant-Man, the Wasp, and Thor in successive one on one straight fights only to get it's ass kicked by the real spider-man, the time Spider-Man supported the weight of a forty-story skyscraper, or when Otto Octavius in Spider-Man's body needed The Hulk and a woman wielding Mjolnir to hold him down and he was still slowly moving forward, dragging them behind him.
**Can't do this solely for the case of making an omega-level Atlantean mutant.
***"Can breathe air, generate gasses ex nilho, and control the wind and various kinds of gasses" are not appropriate powers for an Atlantean.
****It doesn't matter if I'm trying to do an inversion of the "human with the power to breathe and control water" gimmick that's a lot more common than you'd think it would be.

(Technically all Atlanteans are mutants. Some sources cite them as a branch of mutants who breed true and underwent speciation due to thousands of years separated from the main human population. Atlantean mutants are Atlanteans whose X-Gene complexes contain powers that aren't standard or that have undergone what would be considered secondary mutations in a human mutant. For the record, Namor is a mutant on his Atlantean side.)

danielxcutter
2021-02-25, 12:46 PM
*When playing Marvel Superheroes and told to make "spider-man" tier characters, I can't cite the time that an android with the best approximation of Spider-Man's powers that Kang te conqueror could build defeated Captain America, Giant-Man, the Wasp, and Thor in successive one on one straight fights only to get it's ass kicked by the real spider-man, the time Spider-Man supported the weight of a forty-story skyscraper, or when Otto Octavius in Spider-Man's body needed The Hulk and a woman wielding Mjolnir to hold him down and he was still slowly moving forward, dragging them behind him.
**Can't do this solely for the case of making an omega-level Atlantean mutant.
***"Can breathe air, generate gasses ex nilho, and control the wind and various kinds of gasses" are not appropriate powers for an Atlantean.
****It doesn't matter if I'm trying to do an inversion of the "human with the power to breathe and control water" gimmick that's a lot more common than you'd think it would be.

(Technically all Atlanteans are mutants. Some sources cite them as a branch of mutants who breed true and underwent speciation due to thousands of years separated from the main human population. Atlantean mutants are Atlanteans whose X-Gene complexes contain powers that aren't standard or that have undergone what would be considered secondary mutations in a human mutant. For the record, Namor is a mutant on his Atlantean side.)

...What was "Spider-Man tier" supposed to mean, then?

Rater202
2021-02-25, 12:57 PM
...What was "Spider-Man tier" supposed to mean, then?

Most people think of Spider-Man as "street level."

The truth is, Spider-Man is only street level because he wants to help the little guy, and because he doesn't have the means to be a national scale hero.

In the early days, Thor would regularly try to get Spidey into the avengers, Spider-Man's first encounter with the Fantastic Four ended with a misunderstanding that resulted in him kicking the crap out of them.

Then there are Peter's villains.

The Green Goblin once basically took over the United States and is to Marvel what Lex Luthor is to DC. The Rhino is a gamma-ray mutate who used to be just as much of a Hulk villain as a Spider-Man one.

More recently, The Shocker, who is generally considered a C-List Spider-Man villain, went to Jersey City when he decided he wanted to give being a big-shot villain a try(he's generally only in it for money, not glory, and is one of the smarter Spider-Man villains in terms of common sense.) While there, he pretty much made a mockery of Ms. Marvel, declared himself "invincible in New Jersey," and was clearly having a blast up until Kamala defeated more or less by using his own gadgets against him and teleporting him back to New York.

Peter deals with these guys on a regular basis.

Then there's Miles, who is immortal, able to generate bursts of lightning comparable to a blast from Mjolnir, and is strong enough to shatter what I assume to be adamantium based on the fact that it was an attempted recreation of Captain America's shield.

People look at Spiders and think "street" but Spider-Powers are god-tier.

danielxcutter
2021-02-25, 01:02 PM
Most people think of Spider-Man as "street level."

The truth is, Spider-Man is only street level because he wants to help the little guy, and because he doesn't have the means to be a national scale hero.

In the early days, Thor would regularly try to get Spidey into the avengers, Spider-Man's first encounter with the Fantastic Four ended with a misunderstanding that resulted in him kicking the crap out of them.

Then there are Peter's villains.

The Green Goblin once basically took over the United States and is to Marvel what Lex Luthor is to DC. The Rhino is a gamma-ray mutate who used to be just as much of a Hulk villain as a Spider-Man one.

More recently, The Shocker, who is generally considered a C-List Spider-Man villain, went to Jersey City when he decided he wanted to give being a big-shot villain a try(he's generally only in it for money, not glory, and is one of the smarter Spider-Man villains in terms of common sense.) While there, he pretty much made a mockery of Ms. Marvel, declared himself "invincible in New Jersey," and was clearly having a blast up until Kamala defeated more or less by using his own gadgets against him and teleporting him back to New York.

Peter deals with these guys on a regular basis.

Then there's Miles, who is immortal, able to generate bursts of lightning comparable to a blast from Mjolnir, and is strong enough to shatter what I assume to be adamantium based on the fact that it was an attempted recreation of Captain America's shield.

People look at Spiders and think "street" but Spider-Powers are god-tier.

Oh.

Yeah, I get it now.

Lord Raziere
2021-02-25, 01:04 PM
* "Deadpool tier character" doesn't mean "multi-fictional metaverse mass murdering monster who kills the very archetypes that underpin fiction itself"
** Breaking the fourth wall does not lead to reality-warping omnipotence.

* may not propose we deal with a female efreet by setting her against a female marid just so I manipulate them into fighting each other
** May not make a pun about things getting "steamy"
*** May not wonder what the steam child that would be born from their rivalry would be like.

Rater202
2021-02-25, 01:13 PM
* "Deadpool tier character" doesn't mean "multi-fictional metaverse mass murdering monster who kills the very archetypes that underpin fiction itself"
** Breaking the fourth wall does not lead to reality-warping omnipotence.

***May not cite Gwendolyn Poole(The Unbelievable Gwenpool) as evidence that it does.
****Especially since she might be a Mutant.

Calthropstu
2021-02-25, 04:13 PM
*I may not summon 48000 pound huge Earth elementals on top of buildings to crush them.
**Especially wizard towers.
***I may not end campaigns with a single summon spell.

Rater202
2021-02-25, 07:24 PM
"Homer Simspon as the Incredible Hulk" is not a viable character concept.

Lord Raziere
2021-02-25, 07:40 PM
***May not cite Gwendolyn Poole(The Unbelievable Gwenpool) as evidence that it does.
****Especially since she might be a Mutant.

* My Marvel/Exalted crossover can't have a Sidereal figuring out an SMA to replicate Gwenpool's reality warping
** Can't show up wherever I narratively need to be as a form of teleportation
*** Can't achieve immortality by making all my deaths narratively uncomfirmable.
**** I can't cast a curse on my enemies to make them say "What could possibly go wrong?"

Rater202
2021-02-25, 07:52 PM
* My Marvel/Exalted crossover can't have a Sidereal figuring out an SMA to replicate Gwenpool's reality warping
*** Can't achieve immortality by making all my deaths narratively uncomfirmable.
**** I can't cast a curse on my enemies to make them say "What could possibly go wrong?"

*****Can't point out I'm pretty sure that you can already do that in base Exalted.

noob
2021-02-25, 08:13 PM

Even gurps have option 2(when you are not visible in the scene you can just get anywhere that is not directly in the scene and have fun doing dynamic entries and whatever) and something nearly like 3.(it was "heal one wound at the end of each scene" and I forgot if it actually could bring you back to life or not)

John Campbell
2021-02-25, 08:36 PM

The old TSR Marvel Superheroes system has a power that's literally this. (T20/Troubleseeker)

Rater202
2021-02-25, 08:50 PM
The old TSR Marvel Superheroes system has a power that's literally this. (T20/Troubleseeker)

Yeah, but that's not exactly a "good" game. IIRC you rolled for powers randomly and any use of certain powers was considered evil.

Lord Raziere
2021-02-25, 09:07 PM
*****Can't point out I'm pretty sure that you can already do that in base Exalted.

* Infinite Canvas Style is not a SMA you can learn
** Cannot replace it with Lightning Hieroglyph Style
*** May not dodge an attack by quoting it then editing the quote to make sure it misses
**** May not look at the narration or make my character be aware of which players is pulling the characters strings
***** May not in character have my Sidereal negotiate with the players themselves while the PC's are confused as to who they're talking to.

Rater202
2021-02-25, 09:17 PM
*"Superhero team" is not synonymous with "harem."
**Nor with "Suicide Cult."
***Can't make a superhero who is a minor deity who knows a magic ritual that allows them to kill someone they love which causes them to come back to life as a minor god themselves the next day and have them be polyamorous.

danielxcutter
2021-02-25, 09:33 PM
*I may not summon 48000 pound huge Earth elementals on top of buildings to crush them.
**Especially wizard towers.
***I may not end campaigns with a single summon spell.

I believe at least some later versions of D&D explicitly forbid such uses of those spells.

Even gurps have option 2(when you are not visible in the scene you can just get anywhere that is not directly in the scene and have fun doing dynamic entries and whatever) and something nearly like 3.(it was "heal one wound at the end of each scene" and I forgot if it actually could bring you back to life or not)

Funnily enough, Truenamers, the worst PC class in the entire edition of 3.5e, get that ability sort of. Except it’s more like they know when their truename is said by anyone and then they can teleport there with their unlimited uses of Gate at level 20.

Rater202
2021-02-25, 11:18 PM
* I can't become an energy being for the sole sake of no-longer having to wear pants.

Telok
2021-02-26, 03:45 AM
* Just because the rules never say that fires go out doesn't mean I can be on fire forever.

** Just because the character is 50% resistant to fire damage, 1d6/2 = 0 to 3, and has a way to constantly generate 4 temp hit points every round, does not mean I get to take rests while on fire.

*** Winning an encounter by making sexual innuendo that creeps out the evil cult, while failing to notice that I'm on fire, is no longer acceptable.

**** Not supposed to repeat the fire innuendo tactic with orcs, elementals, and bears. Because the combat centric characters and rules aren't being used and that's not fair.

***** No longer allowed the sentence "Dude, my codpiece, a gallon of oil, and some matches soloed the last three encounters. I think you should be able to handle some zombies."

****** No more playing Paranoia when the rest of the table is trying to play D&D. Even if I did get one of them to laugh snort soda out his nose.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 09:27 AM
* Just because the rules never say that fires go out doesn't mean I can be on fire forever.

** Just because the character is 50% resistant to fire damage, 1d6/2 = 0 to 3, and has a way to constantly generate 4 temp hit points every round, does not mean I get to take rests while on fire.

*** Winning an encounter by making sexual innuendo that creeps out the evil cult, while failing to notice that I'm on fire, is no longer acceptable.

**** Not supposed to repeat the fire innuendo tactic with orcs, elementals, and bears. Because the combat centric characters and rules aren't being used and that's not fair.

***** No longer allowed the sentence "Dude, my codpiece, a gallon of oil, and some matches soloed the last three encounters. I think you should be able to handle some zombies."

****** No more playing Paranoia when the rest of the table is trying to play D&D. Even if I did get one of them to laugh snort soda out his nose.In general, not allowed to set myself on fire for any reason.

Calthropstu
2021-02-26, 05:32 PM
I believe at least some later versions of D&D explicitly forbid such uses of those spells.

Nothing stops a flying earth elemental from landing on a building in any edition.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 05:40 PM
I can't summon large or larger-sized animals on the ledge above a bad guy and push or compel them to jump so that they crush the bad guy.

DeTess
2021-02-26, 05:42 PM
*Having the space pirates ambush the players right as they enter the system is tactically sound.
**Having one of the enemy mechs rip one of the PC's right out of their mecha at the start of the fight is supported by the rules, but also a bit of a D-move.
***Then having one of the enemy pilots board the PC's mecha and fly off with it is crossing a line.
****Trying to steal the same PC's replacement mecha again the very next fight is definitely going too far.

Tohron
2021-02-26, 05:43 PM
*I may not play a Warforged Juggernaut with maximum base weight, Flaw: Obese, and Vile Deformity: Obese, then kill opponents by jumping on them.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 05:47 PM
If at any point I can kill most humanoids by sitting on them, my character is retired.

Calthropstu
2021-02-26, 05:54 PM
If at any point I can kill most humanoids by sitting on them, my character is retired.

Damnit, there goes my dragon character campaign.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 06:03 PM
Damnit, there goes my dragon character campaign.

Complete honesty that was more about being heavy enough that sitting on someone would kill them, not simply being big.

Anonymouswizard
2021-02-26, 07:51 PM
* Although my players won't notice, I cannot lift my setting's entire backstory from Yu-Gi-Oh.
** Even if the Millennium Items would make amazing Artefacts.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 08:03 PM
*Especially since a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh lore fits right in with a Fantasy RPG.
**May not cite how the card game as depicted in the manga as originally a simplified version of Magic the Gathering with the same basic premise.

Anonymouswizard
2021-02-26, 08:27 PM
*Especially since a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh lore fits right in with a Fantasy RPG.
**May not cite how the card game as depicted in the manga as originally a simplified version of Magic the Gathering with the same basic premise.

* May not point out that at some points Magic & Wizards/Duel Monsters played more like a board game or RPG.

Considering who the final villain is and what the final game played is, I wouldn't be shocked if the lore being so good for RPGs is intentional. It's easy to forget that the original manga was focused on games in general, with some chapters just using them as a metaphor for a dangerous situation. So when the final game is an RPG based on the series lore it makes me itch for an actual Millennium World RPG.

Maybe I should just write the thing.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 08:38 PM
* May not point out that at some points Magic & Wizards/Duel Monsters played more like a board game or RPG.

Considering who the final villain is and what the final game played is, I wouldn't be shocked if the lore being so good for RPGs is intentional. It's easy to forget that the original manga was focused on games in general, with some chapters just using them as a metaphor for a dangerous situation. So when the final game is an RPG based on the series lore it makes me itch for an actual Millennium World RPG.

Maybe I should just write the thing.

Yeah. I often wonder what the series would have been like if they'd stuck to the original plan instead of the card game taking up most of the plot.

I have the mental image of the final battle against Pegasus being a game of Monopoly. Monopoly for your very soul with every single annoying House Rule that keeps the game going long after it stops being fun enforced to the letter.

And we know that the general plot was planned years in advance, since zorc appeared in the manga as an inconsequential piece in a boardgame/rpg fusion long before the series lore got to his proper appearance, so...

BisectedBrioche
2021-02-26, 08:41 PM
* If you want to use illusion magic to frame the guard who's been harassing you for starting an international incident, have a spell save DC higher than 10.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 08:52 PM
* If you want to use illusion magic to frame the guard who's been harassing you for starting an international incident, have a spell save DC higher than 10.

**In general, framing people for something like that is something that you need to think through very carefully and logically should require more than one spell in terms of resources and prepration.

danielxcutter
2021-02-26, 10:06 PM
**In general, framing people for something like that is something that you need to think through very carefully and logically should require more than one spell in terms of resources and prepration.

**Typically, “more than one” in this case implies more than two as well.

Rater202
2021-02-26, 10:10 PM
**Typically, “more than one” in this case implies more than two as well.
***Look, at least a dozen and probably some competent hired actors. And months of preperation.

BisectedBrioche
2021-02-27, 06:07 AM

This is more "whoops, we're causing an international incident, let's get the people coming after us to remember my hated rival's face".

Anonymouswizard
2021-02-27, 10:14 AM
Yeah. I often wonder what the series would have been like if they'd stuck to the original plan instead of the card game taking up most of the plot.

I have the mental image of the final battle against Pegasus being a game of Monopoly. Monopoly for your very soul with every single annoying House Rule that keeps the game going long after it stops being fun enforced to the letter.

And we know that the general plot was planned years in advance, since zorc appeared in the manga as an inconsequential piece in a boardgame/rpg fusion long before the series lore got to his proper appearance, so...

I suspect we'd have got to Egypt faster, which might have let us spend more time there.

I'm not sure it would have been Monopoly, I'm picturing something like Settlers of Catan or Poker. Actually I can see Poker working really well considering it makes the Eye a potentially even bigger advantage.

This is more "whoops, we're causing an international incident, let's get the people coming after us to remember my hated rival's face".

* I am to plan my international incidents before causing them.
** Thirty seconds is not enough time to plan them.

Rater202
2021-02-27, 10:31 AM
I suspect we'd have got to Egypt faster, which might have let us spend more time there.

I'm not sure it would have been Monopoly, I'm picturing something like Settlers of Catan or Poker. Actually I can see Poker working really well considering it makes the Eye a potentially even bigger advantage.

Though considering how Childish Pegasus can be, for all we know it could have been hide and seek.

*I can't set the final conflict with the big bad up to be a children's game.

Anonymouswizard
2021-02-27, 10:44 AM
Though considering how Childish Pegasus can be, for all we know it could have been hide and seek.

I'm now imaging something like the Hide and Seek game from Alice in Borderland...

** Especially if I force the players to play said game,

Taevyr
2021-02-27, 03:14 PM

**I can't pretend something isn't a children's card game by giving it a ridiculously overblown name
***Especially when said name doesn't even describe any aspect/theme of the game
****"Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-4th-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip-Poker" is right out, no matter how many divinities supposedly play it.

NotInventedHere
2021-02-27, 08:17 PM

Just replying to this as an excuse to bust out one of my favourite quotes.
From John D Clark's Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants.

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride that protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

Or from the same guy who wrote that 'Things I Won't Work With' column that xkcd quoted on FOOF:
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

I have not encountered this fine substance myself, but reading up on its properties immediately gives it a spot on my “no way, no how” list. Let’s put it this way: during World War II, the Germans were very interested in using it in self-igniting flamethrowers, but found it too nasty to work with. It is apparently about the most vigorous fluorinating agent known, and is much more difficult to handle than fluorine gas. That’s one of those statements you don’t get to hear very often

Bohandas
2021-02-28, 06:16 AM

That's arguable. It says the surface they materialize must be able to support them, but IIRC doesn't explicitly say that it must be able to support them plus the weight of whetever else is on the surface

Lord Raziere
2021-03-01, 01:04 AM
* My character concept may not be "A Humanoid version of a monster hunter creature"
** Especially if its an elder dragon or xeno'jiiva

* I cannot attempt to go around game by game asking if I can play an orc as if I'm going down a list
** Especially if some of those games don't even have orcs

* May not make a random comedic relief dwarf bard named "Jalapalazzi" the campaigns secret BBEG
** Or somehow contrive it so that the real mastermind was an intelligent dog, mouse, rabbit or any other random furry animal all along in a plot to wipe out humanity so that animals may rule the earth instead

Rater202
2021-03-01, 01:10 AM
* My character concept may not be "A Humanoid version of a monster hunter creature"
** Especially if its an elder dragon or xeno'jiiva

***"I just want my wings to be a hurricane, is that so much to ask?" leaving my lips permanently revokes any and all right to be a dragon.

Lord Raziere
2021-03-01, 01:53 AM
***"I just want my wings to be a hurricane, is that so much to ask?" leaving my lips permanently revokes any and all right to be a dragon.

**** If my character sheet has monster girl picture from a google search on it, its not allowed.

Rater202
2021-03-01, 04:03 PM
**** If my character sheet has monster girl picture from a google search on it, its not allowed.

****I am not allowed to play a monster girl who goes around naked because her body is absolutely flawless and her flesh and bone are more durable than even the finest of armors.
*****Even if that's the description of one of the sample player characters.
******Even if her fur/scales cover up anything that might be considered indecent.

Lord Raziere
2021-03-01, 04:13 PM
****I am not allowed to play a monster girl who goes around naked because her body is absolutely flawless and her flesh and bone are more durable than even the finest of armors.
*****Even if that's the description of one of the sample player characters.
******Even if her fur/scales cover up anything that might be considered indecent.

******* Not even if we're playing Heroines of the First Age
******** Or Thirsty Sword Lesbians
********* No I'm not making up these up, these are real ttrpgs.

Calthropstu
2021-03-01, 04:15 PM
******* Not even if we're playing Heroines of the First Age
******** Or Thirsty Sword Lesbians
********* No I'm not making up these up, these are real ttrpgs.

********** Because of course they are.

Rater202
2021-03-01, 10:11 PM
*I can't play a strong, confident humanoid monster. I can sit to standard fantasy races and classes and I can like it.

Laughing Dog
2021-03-01, 10:32 PM
*I am not to try to turn the game from a RPG to a RTS(-like).
**Especially if I would be commanding the Not!Russians.
***My alignment is Lawful Evil.
****And so is my character's.

Rater202
2021-03-02, 06:16 AM
I can't play a godlike superhuman who never wanted to adventure and just wants to lie a quiet life in a cabin in the woods somewhere and who only adventures because fate and chance bend themselves into pretzels to keep them from getting a moment's peace.

danielxcutter
2021-03-02, 06:25 AM
I can't play a godlike superhuman who never wanted to adventure and just wants to lie a quiet life in a cabin in the woods somewhere and who only adventures because fate and chance bend themselves into pretzels to keep them from getting a moment's peace.

I'm pretty sure if you look there's more than a few instances of that in fiction.

noob
2021-03-02, 06:17 PM
*I am not to try to turn the game from a RPG to a RTS(-like).
**Especially if I would be commanding the Not!Russians.
***My alignment is Lawful Evil.
****And so is my character's.

How do you get the real time part?
How???
Like both the player and the gm declares their actions as fast as possible?

Telok
2021-03-03, 01:27 AM
No more magic powers that turn all clothes, armors, and body coverings in the universe perfectly invisible as soon as someone puts them on. The DM can't keep up.

Also not allowed to corner multi-star system paint & dye markets before making the spell.

Calthropstu
2021-03-03, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure if you look there's more than a few instances of that in fiction.

A manga abput to become anime does exactly this. A woman dies from overworking, gets reincarnated and lives a liesurely life, killing a few slimes here and there for cash. Then learns she's become super OP, and doesn't care. Tries to hide it, it leaks and suddenly her liesure is gone as she's challenged regularly by adventurers. And dragons. And demons.

It's kinda a fun read and I am looking forward to the april anime.

danielxcutter
2021-03-03, 11:27 AM
A manga abput to become anime does exactly this. A woman dies from overworking, gets reincarnated and lives a liesurely life, killing a few slimes here and there for cash. Then learns she's become super OP, and doesn't care. Tries to hide it, it leaks and suddenly her liesure is gone as she's challenged regularly by adventurers. And dragons. And demons.

It's kinda a fun read and I am looking forward to the april anime.

What's it called?

Calthropstu
2021-03-04, 11:36 AM
What's it called?

Ive been killing slimes for 300 years and maxed out my level.

Yes, the name is atrocious.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-04, 12:39 PM
Ive been killing slimes for 300 years and maxed out my level.

Yes, the name is atrocious.

To be fair, this is the same genre that gave us such names as 'Trapped in Another World with my Smartphone' and 'The Tone I Got Reincarnated As A Slime'. It's too be expected.

danielxcutter
2021-03-04, 12:41 PM
To be fair, this is the same genre that gave us such names as 'Trapped in Another World with my Smartphone' and 'The Tone I Got Reincarnated As A Slime'. It's too be expected.

To be fairer, they sound much more snappier in languages closer to Japanese.

I mean, Korean and Japanese are different, but I've found Japanese-to-Korean translations much smoother than Japanese-to-English.

Rater202
2021-03-04, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that the names sound better in the original Japanese.

Especially since in Japanese you can shorten a long title down to a short phrase or even a single word without it losing the meaning.

danielxcutter
2021-03-04, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that the names sound better in the original Japanese.

Especially since in Japanese you can shorten a long title down to a short phrase or even a single word without it losing the meaning.

Using "That Time I Was Reincarnated As A Slime" as an example, "Reincarnated" uses like two kanji. English in general uses more letters(if not necessarily syllables) than Japanese or Korean for the same word, I've noticed that when doing college reports.

Mandark
2021-03-04, 11:05 PM
*The artificer and gunslinger are not allowed to make an unwinder round.
**Doesn't matter the system. NO unwinder rounds.
***Stop finding/making more and more ridiculous ways of delivering an unwinder round. They are still not allowed.
****Not even if you summon an unseen servant to clean it up. After the second time, they will complain to their bosses and that will ruin it for everyone.

danielxcutter
2021-03-04, 11:16 PM
*The artificer and gunslinger are not allowed to make an unwinder round.
**Doesn't matter the system. NO unwinder rounds.
***Stop finding/making more and more ridiculous ways of delivering an unwinder round. They are still not allowed.
****Not even if you summon an unseen servant to clean it up. After the second time, they will complain to their bosses and that will ruin it for everyone.

What the hell is an unwinder round?

Mandark
2021-03-05, 12:15 AM
What the hell is an unwinder round?

I am sooo glad you asked. Have a link to a description.
https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/comic/grrl-power-922-after-action-flippancy/

And a link to one in action
https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/comic/grrl-power-912-maximum-trauma/

No good can come from one in your game.

danielxcutter
2021-03-05, 12:32 AM
I am sooo glad you asked. Have a link to a description.
https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/comic/grrl-power-922-after-action-flippancy/

And a link to one in action
https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/comic/grrl-power-912-maximum-trauma/

No good can come from one in your game.

Oh, so basically explosion bullet.

Rater202
2021-03-05, 12:38 AM
*I can't make a weapon that does extra damage to werewolves in a game with no werewolves.

Telok
2021-03-05, 02:36 AM
* Not allowed to suggest we play a supers game with the intent of making a quackzilla.

** Supers characters being smart, wealthy, famous, and good looking is normal. Supers characters that can grow to enormous size are also normal. May not have a character be all that and a duck.

*** Not allowed to make characters that can't speak, have no hands, and grow to the size of aircraft carriers when startled. Especially if I take an "easily startled" drawback.

**** Not allowed to make supers characters based on Little Shop of Horrors.

***** Not allowed to make super-dentist characters either.

****** Not allowed to summon Godzilla and Mothra at the same time as a distraction, to stop a car chase, to stop a bank robbery, to rescue a hostage, or as a party favor.

******* Not allowed characters that can summon multiple ticked-off unkillable kaiju at once.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-05, 06:32 AM
* If my attack leaves a crater it does not count as nonlethal.

* I cannot play a bard.
** No, it's nothing to do with the class, it's because my singing isn't that good.
*** Must stop trying to burst into renditions of Kawaita Sakebi at the table.
**** At least until I learn to 1) sing, and 2) speak Japanese.

Telok
2021-03-05, 11:09 AM
* If my attack leaves a crater it does not count as nonlethal.

Depends on the target. I've had players drop orbital strikes on cities as warning shots to people that they knew it wouldn't kill. Then they realized I was willing to calculate the survival rates and figure out how many angry heroes capable of casting teleport were still alive.

BisectedBrioche
2021-03-06, 03:04 PM
* Just because medieval doctors used leeches doesn't mean that the healer's kit contains vials of leeches.
** Just because there are leeches that feed on other leeches doesn't mean you can make special leech healed leeches.

Telok
2021-03-07, 03:33 AM
* "Dead is dead. Meat is meat. I've got BBQ sauce."

** "Its not cannibalism if its outside your species. Besides, they only elves."

*** "My bad. I'll pay for your atonement spell. Tho, in my defense, you didn't say your sect had dietary restrictions."

**** "I don't have enough sauce for an orphanage.... You can't blame that on me. I don't cast Fireball."

Rockphed
2021-03-07, 10:12 AM
*I can't make a weapon that does extra damage to werewolves in a game with no werewolves.

** Nor can I take "Disadvantage: Susceptible to Werewolves" in a game without werewolves.
*** "Disadvantage: easily dominated by vampires" is likewise banned in games without vampires.
**** A werewolf curse, on the other hand, can be a disadvantage even if I don't actually turn into a giant wolf during the full moon.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-07, 10:55 AM
** Nor can I take "Disadvantage: Susceptible to Werewolves" in a game without werewolves.
*** "Disadvantage: easily dominated by vampires" is likewise banned in games without vampires.
**** A werewolf curse, on the other hand, can be a disadvantage even if I don't actually turn into a giant wolf during the full moon.

* "Tastes Good To Dragons" is not a valid disadvantage in a space opera game.

On that note.
* Cannot have the entire Galactic Senate be replaced by shapeshifter clone spies.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-03-07, 01:23 PM
* May have the ancient ur-vampire whose title is "Lord of Nightmares" have a True Name which is awful and painful to say and hear.
** That True Name may not be "Kender". Especially if playing with a bunch of people not steeped in the lore and in-jokes of D&D.

quinron
2021-03-07, 11:01 PM
* "Dead is dead. Meat is meat. I've got BBQ sauce."

** "Its not cannibalism if its outside your species. Besides, they only elves."

*** "My bad. I'll pay for your atonement spell. Tho, in my defense, you didn't say your sect had dietary restrictions."

**** "I don't have enough sauce for an orphanage.... You can't blame that on me. I don't cast Fireball."

Counterpoint from my game tonight:

*The friendly local goblins who don't get sick when eating spoiled or unsuitable meat still have a sense of taste
**This also includes "taste" as in "decorum"
***What I'm saying is, when you plonk a few corpses in front of them, they're not going to thank you for a bounteous feast

Telok
2021-03-08, 01:12 AM
Counterpoint from my game tonight:

*The friendly local goblins who don't get sick when eating spoiled or unsuitable meat still have a sense of taste
**This also includes "taste" as in "decorum"
***What I'm saying is, when you plonk a few corpses in front of them, they're not going to thank you for a bounteous feast

Are those things you're no longer allowed to do in a game?

TeChameleon
2021-03-08, 02:15 AM
* "Tastes Good To Dragons" is not a valid disadvantage in a space opera game.

On that note.
* Cannot have the entire Galactic Senate be replaced by shapeshifter clone spies.

It... really depends on the space opera (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon).

And replacing the entire Galactic Senate with lookalikes would probably make them too effective :smallamused:

danielxcutter
2021-03-08, 04:34 AM
Does Stellaris count as a space opera? Because I'm pretty sure there are dragon-like things there.

Taevyr
2021-03-08, 07:46 AM
Does Stellaris count as a space opera? Because I'm pretty sure there are dragon-like things there.

Stellaris is more like a bunch of spreadsheets wearing an intricately crafted space opera trenchcoat.

But more seriously: it has more than a few elements of space opera, but I'd hesitate to describe it as one. Mainly due to it being a 4X/Grand Strategy which mainly revolves around building an economy, not an RPG of any sorts.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-08, 07:58 AM
It... really depends on the space opera (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon).

And replacing the entire Galactic Senate with lookalikes would probably make them too effective :smallamused:

Actual thing I was referencing (https://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0440.html). (Yes, one of those flaws does actually come up later.)

Oh, and for the other one. (https://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0411.html)

Rater202
2021-03-08, 10:52 PM
*When preparing to heist a palace during a banquet, I can rug the wine or the gravy not both.
**I am to tell my compatriots who are running interference at the banquet proper what all has been drugged.
***Because if I don't, the wizard gets high on the drugs in the wine, drinks all the gravy straight from the boat, and almost dies of an overdose.

danielxcutter
2021-03-09, 12:08 AM
*When preparing to heist a palace during a banquet, I can rug the wine or the gravy not both.
**I am to tell my compatriots who are running interference at the banquet proper what all has been drugged.
***Because if I don't, the wizard gets high on the drugs in the wine, drinks all the gravy straight from the boat, and almost dies of an overdose.

I’m not sure if something that makes you high would be a good idea to slip into alcohol in the first place, and also what’s a Wizard with pissant Con drinking wine during a heist in the first place?

Rater202
2021-03-09, 04:10 PM
Nothing good can possibly come from combining klyntar symbiotes with life fibers.

Lord Raziere
2021-03-09, 04:40 PM
* Seeing what happens when Rogue from X-Men and All For One from MHA touch each other is probably not a good idea
** Or what happens when Amanda Waller meets Magneto
*** Lobo and Deadpool, while a hilarious teamup, probably shouldn't happen for the sake of everyone else

* putting Lex Luthor and Victor von Doom in the same room together is just asking for trouble, no matter how it turns out
** Even if its just them shouting "SUPERMAN!" "REED RICHARDS!" back and forth at each other for hours when they disagree on who to kill first.
*** Even if they just compromise and settle for killing a parallel universe version of both known as "Mr. Super-Fantastic".

Drakeburn
2021-03-09, 06:13 PM
* Just because the guidelines for a superpowered teen campaign says I can use villain archetypes from the Cosmic Handbook, doesn't mean they're all suitable for such a game.
** Like the space dragon.
*** And the Time Master.
**** Overkill does not even begin to describe siccing an expy of Galactus on a party when their characters are just superpowered teenagers.
***** I may not be surprised if the table bans me from using that handbook ever again.

danielxcutter
2021-03-10, 10:48 AM
*May not ask someone to read the acronym of Old World of Darkness out loud.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-13, 05:51 AM
* My Druid may multiclass to Bard, but they're not required to sing Tree Wizard.

* If I cannot rap in real life I cannot do it in character either.

danielxcutter
2021-03-13, 06:03 AM
* My Druid may multiclass to Bard, but they're not required to sing Tree Wizard.

* If I cannot rap in real life I cannot do it in character either.

I'm pretty sure there's a 3.5e prestige class specifically for multiclassing Bard and Druid.

I'm also pretty sure it sucks, but eh.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-13, 06:28 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a 3.5e prestige class specifically for multiclassing Bard and Druid.

I'm also pretty sure it sucks, but eh.

There's a prestige class for multiclassing everything, so I wouldn't be shocked. The main point was more 'I can't use my character build as an excuse to sing irrelevant songs at people'.

* I cannot play MC Beatbot, Warforged Bard until I have actually learnt to rap.

Telok
2021-03-20, 06:55 PM
May not buy dinosaur print underwear for the other players.

The logic that doubling the number of people in the house wearing dinosaur underwear doubles the awesome is insufficent justification.

May not scare the big, tough, military players with a small child wearing dinosaur underwear.

Should not allow the little 70-something granny to intimidate the big, tough, military players with her dinosaur underwear.

Rater202
2021-03-20, 07:53 PM
Skirts are not a kind of pants.

KnotKnormal
2021-03-21, 04:16 AM
*Just because there is a cult kidnapping children does not mean that they are automatically pedophiles.
**child fight pits and child sex pits are not interchangeable terms

*must ask for consent from the victim before preforming torture for information.*

Taevyr
2021-03-21, 03:11 PM
*must ask for consent from the victim before preforming torture for information.*

**Cannot torture the victim until he consents to having torture performed on him retroactively

Rater202
2021-03-21, 03:26 PM
Under no circumstances can I use CRISPR to turn myself into a dragon.

JAL_1138
2021-03-21, 08:46 PM
*In an Indiana Jones-inspired game, may not play “Florida Mann.”

thorr-kan
2021-03-21, 09:14 PM
May not buy dinosaur print underwear for the other players.MAY buy dinosaur print underwear FROM the other players, though...

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-22, 05:19 AM
* Even if I'm playing an ork the hot pink trenchcoat does not give a +2 bonus to Stealth checks.
** Mainly because Shadowrunners have done that one before.
* Armoured underwear is funny once. It's tedious once I begin optimising it.

Wookieetank
2021-03-22, 07:34 AM
Skirts are not a kind of pants.

*May not argue that they are a one legged pant.

Bohandas
2021-03-22, 08:14 PM
*May not argue that they are a one legged pant.

Yeah. What if you're a snake?

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-22, 09:09 PM
Yeah. What if you're a snake?

All the more motivation to find a mate.

Spore
2021-03-22, 11:28 PM
*Just because there is a cult kidnapping children does not mean that they are automatically pedophiles.
**child fight pits and child sex pits are not interchangeable terms

***Virtual disapproving stares count as well. Cut that crap out. :smalleek:

BisectedBrioche
2021-03-23, 07:29 AM
* The purpose of the Phantom rogue subclass's abilities is not to provide free tuition in downtime.
** Even if it needs to be good for something before level 9.

danielxcutter
2021-03-23, 08:37 AM
* The purpose of the Phantom rogue subclass's abilities is not to provide free tuition in downtime.

Care to elaborate?

BisectedBrioche
2021-03-23, 07:10 PM
Care to elaborate?

One of the new rogue subclasses in Tasha's is the Phantom, who gets abilities based around a mysterious connection to the dead. The main ability the class is based around is collecting "tokens" from dead enemies which offer various perks, but they don't get this ability until level 9.

Until then, the only abilities you get are a floating proficiency you can adjust per short or long rest and a nice, but limited option to deal extra damage to adjacent targets when you sneak attack. The floating proficiency is themed as basically a ghost entering your mind to offer advice.

Xanathar's downtime rules also include rules for learning a proficiency, with an associated cost in gold for tuition (and a need to track down a trainer).

I suppose I should clarify that, despite my last post, my DM actually accepted "I mean, if the ghost provides a proficiency, they must be able to let you train?".

Cortillaen
2021-03-24, 12:25 AM
* I may not spend months and unholy amounts of quintessence casting a spell to erase a marble-sized bit of space from all memory past and present. Not even if I get silly amounts of successes.
** I may not take advantage of being the only person in the world with beliefs about that bit of space to shape it according to my will.
*** I may not turn it into the entrance to a functional pocket dimension, and especially not one accessible by every other multiversal version of me who had the same idea.
**** I may not drag the rest of the party into the pocket dimension to rescue me from the amalgamation of all those other me's.
***** I absolutely may not end up with control over a multiverse nexus all because I made everyone forget something.

* I may not create a suspended spell item that, on activation, converts all of my spellcasting potential at once into protections and physical enhancements. Not even if it did cost xp and a lot of downtime to make.
** I may not name the combined spell War-God's Mantle.
*** I may absolutely not use it to beat a high-ranking vampire to death with my bare hands instead of us running from it.

* If it involves setting metaphysics and I have to explain how "It makes perfects sense when you think about it this way", I am not allowed to even ask.

danielxcutter
2021-03-24, 12:30 AM
* I may not spend months and unholy amounts of quintessence casting a spell to erase a marble-sized bit of space from all memory past and present. Not even if I get silly amounts of successes.
** I may not take advantage of being the only person in the world with beliefs about that bit of space to shape it according to my will.
*** I may not turn it into the entrance to a functional pocket dimension, and especially not one accessible by every other multiversal version of me who had the same idea.
**** I may not drag the rest of the party into the pocket dimension to rescue me from the amalgamation of all those other me's.
***** I absolutely may not end up with control over a multiverse nexus all because I made everyone forget something.

* I may not create a suspended spell item that, on activation, converts all of my spellcasting potential at once into protections and physical enhancements. Not even if it did cost xp and a lot of downtime to make.
** I may not name the combined spell War-God's Mantle.
*** I may absolutely not use it to beat a high-ranking vampire to death with my bare hands instead of us running from it.

* If it involves setting metaphysics and I have to explain how "It makes perfects sense when you think about it this way", I am not allowed to even ask.

*squints*

I've been reading a quest based off Mage: the Ascension(specifically the Technocratic side) and this kinda sounds like that? I dunno. Or is this the nWoD Mage system?

Telok
2021-03-24, 01:01 AM
* May not "crit botch" a medic roll in a system without critical failures or botches.

** "I forgot which bard thingy did what and accidental gave myself a penalty." is not an excuse that will be accepted by people I've games with for a decade.

*** Getting a -6 total on a 1d20-1 roll, while impressive, does not let me decide that someone bleeding out from a head wound needs their temperature taken.

**** Nor does it let me mistake a wand of burning hands for a rectal thermometer.

***** No longer allowed characters capable of generating negative numbers or divide by zero errors.

danielxcutter
2021-03-24, 01:05 AM
...How do you get a -6 on a 1d20-1 roll?

P. G. Macer
2021-03-24, 02:31 AM
May not proselytize about Eilistraee at the dinner table (elsewhere is fine, just not while the rest of the party is eating).

Rockphed
2021-03-24, 06:15 AM
May not proselytize about Eilistraee at the dinner table (elsewhere is fine, just not while the rest of the party is eating).

Here I would have thought Slanesh was the creature who was the worst to proselytize about during dinner.

Lord Raziere
2021-03-24, 02:44 PM
Here I would have thought Slanesh was the creature who was the worst to proselytize about during dinner.

** No its Nurgle: "Let this food be blessed by Nurgle with pustules, rot, grime and disease, so that we may intake the holy toxicities..."

Cortillaen
2021-03-24, 06:42 PM
*squints*

I've been reading a quest based off Mage: the Ascension(specifically the Technocratic side) and this kinda sounds like that? I dunno. Or is this the nWoD Mage system?
It's oWoD Mage: The Ascension, my first and favorite system. The Union goons probably aren't as inclined to (ab)use the metaphysical quirks, but I'd love to play a game from their perspective sometime (disclaimer: I use "goons" jokingly; I actually enjoy the depth and inner conflict they got fleshed out with as time went on). I love both the setting and magic systems in Mage so much; the amount of flexibility and potential for shenanigans are both immense. I'm not a fan of the dice system for skills and such (the probability distributions are way to squished together for my taste), but it's thankfully super easy to swap out those parts for a Shadowrun-style system instead.

Speaking of Shadowrun:
* I am absolutely never, under no circumstances, allowed to play a 'Runner with a code of conduct. Especially if that code includes minimizing harm to innocents (ie just folks trying to keep their heads down and survive) and keeping his word.

P. G. Macer
2021-03-24, 08:16 PM

While Slaanesh would definitely be worse, I’m playing D&D 5e, and the DM is therefore treating the WH40K Chaos Gods as not existing. What I wrote was a humorous play on the party’s in-character “no religion or politics while eating” rule.
*There are no carnivorous livestock in continental Faerûn.
** The Dragonborn barbarian is not livestock
***Even if he is of similar Intelligence to a domestic pig.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-24, 08:40 PM
It's oWoD Mage: The Ascension, my first and favorite system. The Union goons probably aren't as inclined to (ab)use the metaphysical quirks, but I'd love to play a game from their perspective sometime (disclaimer: I use "goons" jokingly; I actually enjoy the depth and inner conflict they got fleshed out with as time went on). I love both the setting and magic systems in Mage so much; the amount of flexibility and potential for shenanigans are both immense. I'm not a fan of the dice system for skills and such (the probability distributions are way to squished together for my taste), but it's thankfully super easy to swap out those parts for a Shadowrun-style system instead.

I want to like Mage, and the Technocracy itself is in my mind better set up for games than the Traditions, but unfortunately I played Unknown Armies first. Now I look at Mage and find it comparatively dull and it's magick, while cool in it's own way, not having the same wow and hooks as UA magick does. While it would still be fun to play I think I'd actually much prefer Awakening and it's more stable metaphysics.

Although a kitty of that has to do with having come to like CofD a lot more as it feels more cohesive.

Especially Channeling. Dreaming had good fluff, but Lost has amazing fluff. I really, really want to run a lost 2e Chronicle, where I run mortal mages with variant Fae Touched rules (casting Contacts from Willpower rather than Glamour). And I'd jump at the chance to play a Changeling 2e game.

* Wizened powers are not for crashing the global market on precious metals.
** Cooking steaks into uranium is only funny until somebody gets hurt.
*** Unless I start acting within fairy tale logic my powers will be taken away.

Speaking of Shadowrun:
* I am absolutely never, under no circumstances, allowed to play a 'Runner with a code of conduct. Especially if that code includes minimizing harm to innocents (ie just folks trying to keep their heads down and survive) and keeping his word.

I'd love to play in or run a Shadowrun game where runners are professionals who don't cause unnecessary damage, loss of life, and betrayals. Heck, when I ran it most Johnsons were on the level, because skilled runners hard to find.

danielxcutter
2021-03-24, 09:24 PM

I recommend you read Panopticon Quest then. Very good for Technocracy fans.

JAL_1138
2021-03-25, 02:27 PM
*Making a character who carries 50 derringers on his person, has a metric crapton of points in fast draw, and enough wealth to just discard each derringer after shooting it, with the intent of rapid-firing them at a comparable rate as someone with a semiautomatic or revolver, isn’t exactly a viable concept due to the multiple action limitations of the system.
**It is also silly.

NotInventedHere
2021-03-25, 10:07 PM
* I cannot play a bard.
** No, it's nothing to do with the class, it's because my singing isn't that good.

Amusing mirror to this one: not me, but a fellow member of my group is not allowed to *not* play the bard, for similar-ish reasons. His talking being that good rather than his singing, but otherwise something of a parallel.

(Less succinctly but more accurately, his tendency to off-the-cuff improvise stirring speeches and inspiring dialogue is sufficiently strong that he's not allowed to play low-Charisma characters, because we all feel bad having to go "that was genuinely OOC moving and the whole table loved it, but we have to pretend it never happened because your character can barely string two words together.")

Spore
2021-03-25, 11:42 PM
According to an argument between me and my DM:
*A bard has to have musical inclination.
** I cannot under any circumstance be a bard of writing, be it prose or poetry.
*** I am not to circumvent said prejudice by playing another charisma based class and refluff their several support options with oratory.

(Yes, this was a real point, and no I am not investing more time into it than necessary.)

P. G. Macer
2021-03-26, 12:15 AM
*** I am not to circumvent said prejudice by playing another charisma based class and refluff their several support options with oratory.

(Yes, this was a real point, and no I am not investing more time into it than necessary.)

Ouch, that is rough. What really stings if you’re playing 5e (which may be a faulty assumption on my part) is that there is specifically a Bard College that focuses on oratory, the College of Eloquence. Even if you’re not playing 5e, your DM/GM seems to be behaving in an overly restrictive manner, as the “wandering musical minstrel” trope entered the D&D Bard class rather late in the class’s history (from what I’ve heard), reflecting originally the Celtic bards of legend, who were more like what you’re describing.

danielxcutter
2021-03-26, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty sure 3.5e lets you do that too. Heck, there's even a Perform(weapon drill) in Complete Warrior.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-26, 06:15 AM

My country's obsession with a certain bard is displeased.

* It is not, and never will be, the winter of our discontent.

noob
2021-03-26, 06:50 AM
I'm pretty sure 3.5e lets you do that too. Heck, there's even a Perform(weapon drill) in Complete Warrior.

Perform weapon drill is the only perform that is not allowed to be used for bardic music.
You can however mid battle empower your allies with perform tea ceremony.
*may no longer make my players fight a bard that adds cold damage to its attacks through perform tea ceremony.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-26, 07:07 AM
* Perform (Human Statue), while technically valid for Bardic Music, is just plain silly.

danielxcutter
2021-03-26, 07:34 AM
My country's obsession with a certain bard is displeased.

* It is not, and never will be, the winter of our discontent.

The what.

Perform weapon drill is the only perform that is not allowed to be used for bardic music.
You can however mid battle empower your allies with perform tea ceremony.
*may no longer make my players fight a bard that adds cold damage to its attacks through perform tea ceremony.

Yeah, but my point is that the DM was being an unnecessary stickler.

Rater202
2021-03-26, 07:34 AM
* Perform (Human Statue), while technically valid for Bardic Music, is just plain silly.

*My human statue bard variant can not make the rest of the party pull him around in a wagon while he holds perfectly still to give an indefinite inspire courage effect.
** Even if I choose a race that doesn't need sleep and could logically hold still indefinitely.

P. G. Macer
2021-03-26, 11:43 PM
The what.

“Now is the winter of our discontent” is famously the opening line of William Shakespeare’s Richard III. Shakespeare is also known as the Bard of Avon or simply as the Bard (unless you’re in Scotland, in which case the Bard is Robert Burns).

Calthropstu
2021-03-27, 03:10 PM
*Making a character who carries 50 derringers on his person, has a metric crapton of points in fast draw, and enough wealth to just discard each derringer after shooting it, with the intent of rapid-firing them at a comparable rate as someone with a semiautomatic or revolver, isn’t exactly a viable concept due to the multiple action limitations of the system.
**It is also silly.

It is also a thing. Meryl Stryfe from the bernardelli insurance society.

Bohandas
2021-03-27, 10:30 PM
**It is also silly.

It's actually arguably amstep down from some action movies. Most notably The Matrix, which has a scene where Neo does this except with Uzis

Lord Raziere
2021-03-27, 10:42 PM
It's actually arguably amstep down from some action movies. Most notably The Matrix, which has a scene where Neo does this except with Uzis

* may not come up with a superhero concept thats all about creating infinite disposable guns in M&M to emulate an action hero
** even if its incredibly easy and just requires Damage, Ranged of various PLs without any drawbacks.
*** May not go full Mami Tomoe from PMMM and do this with nothing but muskets.
**** May not do this a character who creates improvised guns out of random junk that break as soon as they fire.

Rater202
2021-03-27, 10:58 PM
* may not come up with a superhero concept thats all about creating infinite disposable guns in M&M to emulate an action hero
** even if its incredibly easy and just requires Damage, Ranged of various PLs without any drawbacks.
*** May not go full Mami Tomoe from PMMM and do this with nothing but muskets.
**** May not do this a character who creates improvised guns out of random junk that break as soon as they fire.

I am the bullet in the chamber.
Steel is my body and blasting powder is my blood.
I have created over a thousand guns
Unaware of loss,
nor aware of gain.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
And yet, these hands will never hold anything
So, as I pray...
My whole life is Unlimited Firearm Works.

*Cannot make the obvious reference.
**Cannot be Shirou but with guns and ammo.
***Nor can I be Gilgamesh with guns.
****I cannot beat people over the head with high-quality guns becuase I have an arbitrarily large number of them but they're all unique and I never bothered to learn how to use any of them.

Lord Raziere
2021-03-27, 11:16 PM
Unaware of loss,
nor aware of gain.
So, as I pray...

* Cannot make this concept but with an Ork
** Cannot name it "Moar Dakka Works"
*** Cannot combine this with Sans to get Gaster Blasters in there as well
**** Sans Orkertale Emiya is concept that should never exist and never will.
***** My foes will have not have a "WAAAAAAAAGH Time"

Telok
2021-03-29, 12:42 AM
* Any character concept containing the phrase "ICanHasCheeseburger crossed with TvTropes plus 4chan".

** Nor am I allowed to sneak it through as "Krosp/Deadpool".

BisectedBrioche
2021-03-29, 04:20 AM
* Your scoundrel's main enemy can't be LeChuck from Monkey Island

Full disclosure: I allowed it.

Spore
2021-03-29, 06:45 AM
Unaware of loss,
nor aware of gain.
So, as I pray...

*Explosions are not an instrument.
** Gun is also not an instrument.
*** There is no College of Guns bardic subclass.
**** If you want cowboy romance in your game, just give your bard firearm proficiency and a guitar.
***** *sigh* You can be Arizona Ranger (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuX79Ud8zI) if you refluff Arizona to a locale in our setting.
****** Texas Red has to be refluffed as well.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-29, 07:08 AM
* If I win the Holy Grail War I'm expected to wish for more than a scone.
** Even if I know about the corruption in-character.
*** 'People will no longer put the cream on first' is also not valid.

Rater202
2021-03-29, 07:25 AM

For what it's worth, some AUs and spin-offs imply that wishes that are simple or humble, things like "I want to be an ordinary human with no special powers" or "I want people to take my ideas seriously" and the like tend to go off without a hitch, All The World's Evils or not.

danielxcutter
2021-03-29, 08:19 AM
**** If you want cowboy romance in your game, just give your bard firearm proficiency and a guitar.
***** *sigh* You can be Arizona Ranger (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuX79Ud8zI) if you refluff Arizona to a locale in our setting.

*Tartar sauce is not an instrument.

For what it's worth, some AUs and spin-offs imply that wishes that are simple or humble, things like "I want to be an ordinary human with no special powers" or "I want people to take my ideas seriously" and the like tend to go off without a hitch, All The World's Evils or not.

Wasn't Avenger himself not an asshat and it was mostly just the curses tattooed onto him that did it, plus the fact that the Grail hadn't been used for three Wars so far?

Also the scone's probably going to be poisonous. Not sure how it'd twist the wish about putting the cream on first, though.

Anonymouswizard
2021-03-29, 11:07 AM

You also have timeline issues, the grail has only been cursed since the third way in the Stay Night timeline, is inherently cursed in the Prototype timeline (which yes, I want a full anime in), and in other timelines might not even be corrupted at all. You also have the issue that whoile quite a few Servants might have simple wishes, many Masters won't because being a participant is pretty exoensive.

Wasn't Avenger himself not an asshat and it was mostly just the curses tattooed onto him that did it, plus the fact that the Grail hadn't been used for three Wars so far?

Also the scone's probably going to be poisonous. Not sure how it'd twist the wish about putting the cream on first, though.

It's pretty much the curses on Avenger as I remember, he was just a scapegoat. Unless we're talking Prototype timeline, in which case it just seems to be inherently cursed. It's also, I believe, not actually meant to grant wishes, being made by the Eizberns to regain their lost magic, but can certainly use it's energy to do other things.

But yes, if you wished for a cup of tea the grail would probably put the milk in first.

danielxcutter
2021-03-29, 11:10 AM
You also have timeline issues, the grail has only been cursed since the third way in the Stay Night timeline, is inherently cursed in the Prototype timeline (which yes, I want a full anime in), and in other timelines might not even be corrupted at all. You also have the issue that whoile quite a few Servants might have simple wishes, many Masters won't because being a participant is pretty exoensive.

Also they're mages. 99.9% of them are total asshats.

Oh, and it actually went off without a hitch in the Grand Order timeline. Unfortunately, that kinda indirectly caused more than a few problems down the road.

It's pretty much the curses on Avenger as I remember, he was just a scapegoat. Unless we're talking Prototype timeline, in which case it just seems to be inherently cursed. It's also, I believe, not actually meant to grant wishes, being made by the Eizberns to regain their lost magic, but can certainly use it's energy to do other things.

But yes, if you wished for a cup of tea the grail would probably put the milk in first.

Prototype's Grail was based on gathering the thoughts and stuff of the people of Tokyo. Except instead of an angel, they got Beast VI. 666, the Beast of the Apocalypse, the eighth Servant that must never been summoned. So it's a bit different from Avenger, though I believe Avenger also was a Beast candidate.

Edit: Also I assume that order's the one that makes it taste awful? Now I want an omake about that.

Rater202
2021-03-30, 12:08 PM
Getting black-out drunk, climbing a mountain, and hitting on whatever's at the top is not the most efficient way to befriend powerful supernatural creatures.

danielxcutter
2021-03-30, 12:13 PM
Getting black-out drunk, climbing a mountain, and hitting on whatever's at the top is not the most efficient way to befriend powerful supernatural creatures.

It probably is for a Cult of Ecstasy mage though. I'm not even kidding about that.

Bohandas
2021-04-01, 03:38 AM
It probably is for a Cult of Ecstasy mage though. I'm not even kidding about that.

Or for a Slaaneshi sorceror

Rater202
2021-04-01, 04:02 AM
I cannot take the Batmobile on a beer run.

Anonymouswizard
2021-04-01, 05:50 AM
Or for a Slaaneshi sorceror

Nah, for Slaaneshi sorcerers you'd need to do it whole pumping power metal into one ear and gangster rap into the other, while wearing a hot pink dinner jacket, line green t-shirt, and canary yellow trousers. Also two beanies of clashing colours and a raspberry beret.

No, the latter does not get you out of wearing much more.

Rater202
2021-04-05, 01:48 PM
I am not permitted under any circumstances to eat the other pcs.

Calthropstu
2021-04-05, 08:30 PM
I am not permitted under any circumstances to eat the other pcs.

Our party had no food and no access to spells. One party member had regeneration. So I can see this happening non-maliciously.

Rater202
2021-04-06, 08:06 AM
Our party had no food and no access to spells. One party member had regeneration. So I can see this happening non-maliciously.

In this case we are referring to a monstrous pc* in a party of more traditional characters.

*And I don't mean an orc, goblin, or kobold. We're talking actual monsters.

Anonymouswizard
2021-04-06, 10:11 AM
*And I don't mean an orc, goblin, or kobold. We're talking actual monsters.

Ah, a kender.

* I cannot play a kender paladin.
** No, not even if I explain exactly who I've 'borrowed' the powers from.
*** This does not make me immune to falling.

Telok
2021-04-06, 10:13 AM
monstrous

Multiple definitions of that word.

* Not allowed to play the uplifted experiment pig-wizard who turned people into bacon cheeseburgers. It was nixed due to the bacon squick factor.

** Not allowed to play a smart-mouth, luck-manipulating, Bag of Devouring in a supers game.

Because apparently supers games are supposed to "safer" than D&D with it's history of savage psychic cannibal halfling cliff dwellers and minotaur PC options.

Rater202
2021-04-06, 10:31 AM
Ah, a kender.

May not suggest a Paladin of Freedom.

* Not allowed to play the uplifted experiment pig-wizard who turned people into bacon cheeseburgers. It was nixed due to the bacon squick factor.

** Not allowed to play a smart-mouth, luck-manipulating, Bag of Devouring in a supers game.

Because apparently supers games are supposed to "safer" than D&D with it's history of savage psychic cannibal halfling cliff dwellers and minotaur PC options.

...Spider-Ham, a sapient spider mutated into porcine form by the bite of a radioactive pig, canonically enjoys the taste of pork products and eats his fill whenever visiting reality where pigs aren't people.

All of the other spiders are disgusted by this.

And then there's Venom, who threatened to eat people during Eddie Brock's Lethal protector phase(officially they never did, but the Symbiote ate some people while separate from Eddie) and Flash Thompson as Agent Venom didn't stop at threatening on occasion.

Cannibalistic superheroes are a thing, my dude.

Anonymouswizard
2021-04-06, 10:55 AM
May not suggest a Paladin of Freedom.

Yes, but that's less funny.

* I may not ask the thriving elephant for money.
** Or crosspost jokes from other threads.

Calthropstu
2021-04-06, 11:56 AM
*I may not walk around with obvious 10s of thousands of gp worth of gear begging for alms.
**No, it doesn't help that you have a disguise.
***Or a bluff check.
****Or a magic wand of invisibility.
*****An invisible person begging is worse.

thorr-kan
2021-04-06, 09:35 PM
Ah, a kender.

"Kender wild mage."

Three words that strike fear into the hearts of 2E DMs everywhere. And I can make him, street legal, by 2E rules.

thorr-kan
2021-04-06, 09:38 PM
...Spider-Ham, a sapient spider mutated into porcine form by the bite of a radioactive pig, canonically enjoys the taste of pork products and eats his fill whenever visiting reality where pigs aren't people.

All of the other spiders are disgusted by this.
Pigs will eat pigs in real life. I don't see the problem. :smallbiggrin:

Plus, BACON!

SpyOne
2021-04-06, 10:09 PM

There is an actual canon Marvel supervillian with that power.
He got a bit of meteorite embedded in his chest, causing him to be able to open a portal in his chest. Calls himself The Black Hole and as they said introducing him in the Howard the Duck joins The Defenders giant sized annual, "like his namesake, The Black Hole sucks".
(As in things are drawn into the portal never to be seen again.)
I think he's dead: someone put his own hand through the portal, so he just kinda imploded.

Rater202
2021-04-07, 10:45 AM
Can't sit around stir-crazy because the (plot) threads I have things to do for but that aren't progressing at all.

Socksy
2021-04-16, 02:52 AM
Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Was the "vampire blood poison around singing feminist" part a joke or are they really allergic to it?

Their lowest-level ability, instead of involving poisons, creates a bubble of silence. My singing feminist was unhappy about the majority of her powers getting switched off by a level 1 effect. The Assamite was indifferent to this.

* If everyone in the party has dots in Animalism, something strange is going on
** Welsh Gangrel do not summon sheep

* Clan Tzimisce's clan disciplines are not "Vicissitude and whatever their Packmates can teach them"
** Despite what the book says, Koldun do get Koldunic Sorcery as a clan discipline

Anonymouswizard
2021-04-16, 03:27 AM
* If everyone in the party has dots in Animalism, something strange is going on
** Welsh Gangrel do not summon sheep

Of course not.

Welsh Gangrel turn into sheep.

* Clan Tzimisce's clan disciplines are not "Vicissitude and whatever their Packmates can teach them"
** Despite what the book says, Koldun do get Koldunic Sorcery as a clan discipline

Eh, Blood Sorcery as an In-Clan was possibly one of Masquerade's biggest mistakes, even in V5 it's still significantly more flexible than other Disciplines even with Paths axed. Then again, I do like how V5 streamlined the Banu Haqim with giving them Blood Sorcery as standard with Quietus merged into it.

On the other hand, in some ways I'd still rather play Requiem, and V5 just took so much from Requiem that it makes that urge stronger.

Eldan
2021-04-16, 03:33 AM
From a recent game, a thing which the GM almost litearlly told me:

*May not resolve every diplomatic negotiation with sonic cannons
**"I turned down the area so not their entire diplomatic corps is hit" is not an excuse
***Neither is "I turn the setting to max and bury both negotiating parties under an avalanche"

In my defence, they were being *****.

Telok
2021-04-16, 10:22 AM
Old but good.

* I may not provide snacks/food during game if in last weeks' game I said "I've eaten scarier stuff than we're rolling fear saves for."

Socksy
2021-04-16, 02:48 PM
Old but good.

* I may not provide snacks/food during game if in last weeks' game I said "I've eaten scarier stuff than we're rolling fear saves for."

I have nothing witty to say about this, but I've had a rough day and you made me smile.

Mandark
2021-04-16, 02:53 PM
From a recent game, a thing which the GM almost litearlly told me:

*May not resolve every diplomatic negotiation with sonic cannons
**"I turned down the area so not their entire diplomatic corps is hit" is not an excuse
***Neither is "I turn the setting to max and bury both negotiating parties under an avalanche"

In my defence, they were being *****.

*****It is ok to use other weapons to end diplomatic negotiations. Using ones that are easier to get out of the carpets is a plus.
******Painting a knife with blue spikes and red sneakers does not count as using a sonic weapon to stick with your theme.

BisectedBrioche
2021-04-17, 03:48 AM
* Just because your character is a cyberpunk version of a Pokemon trainer doesn't mean you can hack drones by throwing your tools at one.
** Nor does it mean the large tree in the centre of an exhibition hall is an Oak, owned by one of the professors.

vasilidor
2021-04-19, 07:42 PM

The Mythbusters respectfully disagree. and so do I

Bohandas
2021-04-21, 02:17 AM

*Do instruments of torture count?
**Is mayonaise an instrument?

Anonymouswizard
2021-04-21, 02:23 PM
^ Just because the rules allow my Guardsman to have four longarms on them at once doesn't mean that this is the only acceptable loadout.
** No, switching to a similarly-armed Stormtrooper does not make it better.
*** I should not be giving Space Marines loadout envy.
**** Nor should I have high enough Agility to sneak with such an armanent.

ShuckedAeons
2021-04-22, 02:14 PM
*Do instruments of torture count?
**Is mayonaise an instrument?

Interestingly enough I have had a game where mayonnaise was used as an instrument of torture. Almost ruined my sandwiches for a month...

Telok
2021-04-22, 10:49 PM
* Halflings in this setting are not obligate carnivores.

** The more the DM likes the whole "i am groot" thing, the worse the kenku bard character who only says "your mom" will go over.

*** It does not matter if I can build it in (nearly) any system. My character may not be a cheese ninja with a goremaul named Banjolinir.

**** It has to be a drawback in order to get extra points/feats from it. If the character was going to attempt to mate with literally every animate sapient in the game then a compulsion, neurosis, or geas, to do so is not an acceptable character flaw.

***** That goes double if the flaws would give the character enough points to auto-succeed on 90%+ of the enemies.

Telwar
2021-04-23, 01:49 PM
* Halflings in this setting are not obligate carnivores.

Oh, not playing Dark Sun?

Rater202
2021-04-24, 06:35 PM
*I can't expect anyone to honestly believe that I only want the Infinity Gauntlet in order to fix climate change, create my easily accessible reserves of resources in places with shortages, and serve as a big stick to intimidate away any hostile aliens who want to invade the Earth.
**Even if that's the literal truth.

BisectedBrioche
2021-04-24, 07:05 PM
* As happy as I am you love the NPC I thought up in 5 seconds because I realised there should be someone in this room, you didn't have to convince them to kill the semi-friendly NPCs I'd carefully crafted personalities and backstories for.

Christopher K.
2021-04-24, 07:17 PM
* The DM is only going to fall for the grapple and self-immolate move once.

danielxcutter
2021-04-24, 08:36 PM
* The DM is only going to fall for the grapple and self-immolate move once.
** Self-immolate and grapple doesn't count as a different move.

Rater202
2021-04-27, 09:46 PM
*I cannot have the PCs fight a motorhome that's been cursed to come alive and experience an unquenchable thirst for fresh human blood and insatiable hunger for fresh human flesh.
**The cursed motorhome cannot be called a Wendibago.

danielxcutter
2021-04-27, 09:56 PM
*I cannot have the PCs fight a motorhome that's been cursed to come alive and experience an unquenchable thirst for fresh human blood and insatiable hunger for fresh human flesh.

***No, a hotel with these traits cannot be called a Wentrivago.

Eldan
2021-04-28, 04:15 AM

Yoink. THat's going into our traditional halloween comedy game.

Wookieetank
2021-04-28, 09:35 AM

***May not bind an air elemental to a motorhome for a Windybago

Telok
2021-05-01, 10:53 AM
* The Emperor is not my character's sugar daddy.
** My character is not the official pimp of the Inquisition.
*** Nor is he the lead software engineer in charge of backdoors for tech priest implants.
**** Has not won the millenial dark eldar "All Galaxy Hickey & Wedgie Olympics" three times running.
***** Khorne is not his Saturday night drinking buddy.
****** The thing about time travel & the ork genome is a no-go.
******* I am no longer allowed to write character backstory in games where the GM approves them without reading them.

noob
2021-05-01, 04:19 PM
* The Emperor is not my character's sugar daddy.
** My character is not the official pimp of the Inquisition.
*** Nor is he the lead software engineer in charge of backdoors for tech priest implants.
**** Has not won the millenial dark eldar "All Galaxy Hickey & Wedgie Olympics" three times running.
***** Khorne is not his Saturday night drinking buddy.
****** The thing about time travel & the ork genome is a no-go.
******* I am no longer allowed to write character backstory in games where the GM approves them without reading them.

The only weird thing in the list is the fact gms that approves for backstories without reading sometimes asks for backstories.

Bohandas
2021-05-01, 04:47 PM

Does this remind anyone else of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Forever episode about the evil man eating bus

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-01, 05:30 PM
Does this remind anyone else of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Forever episode about the evil man eating bus

Wait...that can't taste very good--all that metal and stuff.

I read that first as (evil man) (eating [a] bus)

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-01, 05:46 PM
Wait...that can't taste very good--all that metal and stuff.

I read that first as (evil man) (eating [a] bus)

Ah, the Audrey II Ambiguity.

BisectedBrioche
2021-05-02, 04:13 AM

** While the DM'll allow it, one of the "spirits" turned out to have been a hag you accidentally made a deal with in session -1. Have fun.

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-02, 06:42 AM
* I am not allowed to fiddle with the ship's FTL drive.
** Or engines.
*** My plan cannot boil down to 'jump on the ship, accelerate to near-c, wait a few years, flip the ship around, come back when the bad guy has died of old age'.
**** Especially if this is just an excuse to steal their new longevity treatment.

HeraldOfExius
2021-05-14, 09:56 AM
* I cannot bypass Sending's 25 word limit by merging words into never-before-used compound words.
** New portmanteaus are not allowed either (even if "magisguise" should be a real word in a setting where magical disguises exist).
*** "That's not a word" means that I should find a different way to say something, not that I can say it as much as I want without using up any of my 25 words.
**** No matter how many languages my character speaks, none of them can convey more information in less words.
***** Nor can I combine multiple languages into a more efficient pidgin.
****** Even if the GM and I both know another language, I cannot borrow more efficient words from it.
******* I will never have a good enough reason to say "Schaufensterspiegelbild" in-character.

danielxcutter
2021-05-14, 10:32 AM
You know, Sending does get weird in other languages. Like Korean or Chinese.

Telok
2021-05-14, 10:38 AM
Been hanging on to this one for a while...

* The character's bond, flaw, and ideal cannot all be the same thing.
** Especially not when it is the phrase "More _____ than Slaanesh".
*** When the game instructions for character creation include something where you roll, pick from a list or range, or make up something, I may no longer "make up something" without first standing up, loudly announcing my intended "made up", and getting buy-in from everyone there.

**** No waiting until everyone else is breaking for the bathroom, a smoke, or the pizza delivery, and getting the buy-in from the other lunatic in the group.

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-14, 11:00 AM
* I cannot bypass Sending's 25 word limit by merging words into never-before-used compound words.

Oh that doesn't matter, I'll just give my Sending in-

[/QUOTE]**** No matter how many languages my character speaks, none of them can convey more information in less words.[/QUOTE]

...has your GM ever heard of German?

For anybody who doesn't know, some languages like German tend towards compound words for common constructions. In a setting where wizards learn in schools and magical communication with strict word limits exist such languages will likely be widely spoken simply to convey more information per spell. I think Mandarin does the same thing, I don't actually speak it anywhere fluently enough to be certain but I've definitely seen words that seem to be built of other words (one of the first words you leanr, nihao [please excause the lack of tones, not sure how to type them] is one such word).

* It's Unarmoured Defence, not Unclothed Defence.
** Just pants is not enough, I also need trousers.
*** You know what, I need a full outfit including a hat.

Eldan
2021-05-17, 02:46 AM

Welcome to the fun of playing in German, where our DM also added a letter restriction on top of the word restriction. I think it was 500 letters, or thereabouts. Or maybe it was "3 lines of normally written text", it's been a while. What do you mean I can not make up a new words that say "The bad guy is at the eastern temple" and "his army consists of 25000 orcs and undead", it's perfectly gramatically viable.

Edit: Yeah, as the poster above me said. Words can be arbitrarily long in German and can contain any amount of information. Though mostly just compound nouns, with ever more elaborate descriptions.

That said:
******No, I may not spend 25 minutes trying to plot out new nouns for a sending. It's not that important.

Rater202
2021-05-17, 04:38 AM
If the rest of the party are playing traditional superhero types, I can't be a Resident Evil boss.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-17, 11:16 AM
If the rest of the party are playing traditional superhero types, I can't be a Resident Evil boss.

* My superhero concepts cannot be "heroic Vampire", "friendly humanoid xenomorph/tyranid knockoff", "Arrancar ripoff", "heroic demon", "Dr. Doom-esque former evil overlord trying to redeem themselves" or "kaiju forced into mostly human form an given sapience who can temporarily turn back into their kaiju form to fight"
** even if I can point to actual comics with heroic vampires and demons
*** and isn't the arrancar and kaiju concepts basically the same thing anyways?
**** If the sentence starts with "Himiko Toga but..." its not allowed
***** A superhero wielding the powers of death and darkness is not any better.
****** Fair Folk superheroes are not allowed either, even if I can point to actual superheroes who are that.
******* "Former assassin" is not allowed either....even if I can point to two Batman sidekicks who are exactly that.
******** My attempt at a traditional superhero cannot be a meta-commentary on the various forms they've had over the years by making a superhero who can shapeshift between their various versions of themselves through the comic book ages to show how what makes a superhero is a thing that is constantly changing with the times
********* cannot make a deadpool expy to just snark at everything if all those fail.

Eldan
2021-05-18, 04:19 AM
Why would anyone have a problem with "heroic vampire". Those have been a thing for... 40, 50 years by now? And there's probably as many as evil vampires, especially if we also count media for children and teenagers.

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-18, 04:32 AM
Because they more feel overplayed compared to monstrous vampires? That's the midst likely reason as far as I understand it.

* I must stop creating superheroes who's powers are specifically designed to cause as much collateral damage as possible.
** Giving everybody within half s mile cancer counts as collateral damage.
*** Microwaves are banned as well as gamma rays, no setting everything on fire.

Spore
2021-05-18, 11:16 AM
Edit: Yeah, as the poster above me said. Words can be arbitrarily long in German and can contain any amount of information. Though mostly just compound nouns, with ever more elaborate descriptions.

It is mostly just words created from the need of avoiding foreign words in German, and as such usually compound words for official use like Grundstücksverkehrsgenehmigungszuständigkeitsübert ragungsverordnung, which translates to "property traffic approval responsibility transfer regulation".

* These are not magic words or truenames that summon up the most boring denizens of Hell, even if they are the paramounts of lawful evil-ness.

danielxcutter
2021-05-18, 11:20 AM
...I was going to joke that bureaucrat devils are not a thing, but then again it's Baator. And now that I think of it, I think there literally were devils that specialize in that.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-18, 12:57 PM
Why would anyone have a problem with "heroic vampire". Those have been a thing for... 40, 50 years by now? And there's probably as many as evil vampires, especially if we also count media for children and teenagers.

Because they more feel overplayed compared to monstrous vampires? That's the midst likely reason as far as I understand it.

Yes, that. To go into more detail, the fact that they feel overplayed, the fact the Twilight books kind of took it to a laughable extreme that people have made many jokes about, and the fact in roleplaying the main game for playing vampires is Vampire the Requiem/Masquerade and those are very of the "vampires are monstrous" school of thought and while its possible to non-monstrous in them you can't really be heroic since its a horror game and the requirements are a bit strict, feels like it weighs views a bit in that direction. that and traditional superheroes (namely DC/Marvel) both have heroic vampires, they're not exactly A-Listers, not something you see on the Justice League or the Avengers, y'know? even though the Hulk is basically a modern mad science version of a werewolf....or Jekyll/Hyde but those are similar enough concepts I feel.

that and there is the whole bloodsucking thing. daywalking vampires, thats practically required for a heroic one so so the dies in sunlight thing can be easily thrown out, the problem is how to handle the bloodsucking, and if you lean too far into the "vegetarian vampire" thing, its like what is the cost there man, how is that a curse, but with traditional superheroes there are expectations that run counter to it too much of a curse, as the expectations with that is that you don't kill criminals, you beat them up and take them to jail even if they are a dangerous supervillain and sucking out a criminals blood might taint the tone a bit, like the bloodsucking kind of makes you wander towards anti-heroism or a X-men/marvel universe at the very least when they might want something more like DC's Justice League or something, ever since the 90's there has been a bit of stigma against making superheroes too dark and vampire superhero sounds exactly like the 90's edge many superhero fans want to avoid.....

so I being the person who wants to do things well is just constantly thinking about how to execute such a heroic vampire well, so that it doesn't just not clash....but makes something good from it, a character that makes the story work, something memorable, something that people can enjoy to some degree. something that allows the vampire to be heroic in a way thats plausible and workable and not something that comes from a parody. my current thoughts are that the heroic vampire either just treats the whole bloodsucking thing as just another aspect of "with great power comes great responsibility" or they were found by organization before they sucked blood from anyone (a big emphasis would be put on how much the character would be willing to starve themselves so as to not harm others) that altered them to be less monstrous than normal with some experiment or procedure that only works if they haven't sucked any blood that is then destroyed by monstrous vampires in classic superhero fashion so they're the only one with this new less monstrous state, haven't worked out the details.

* May not make a pollution drinking vampire
** Or depression drinking vampire that makes people happy when you suck away their sadness
*** Any vampire that drains bad things from people is not allowed
**** Not even if there is an anime with that exact concept/premise

* May not try to parody/take apart the 90's anti-hero by taking one and make them an old veteran who has been doing this for 20-30 years now since then and has mellowed out, bought or invented various nonlethal bullets and is now just a gun version of Green Arrow, but will bust out the lethal guns when a big enough threat arrives.

* Trying to make a superhero out of Nergigante from MHW is not going to work

Calthropstu
2021-05-18, 08:57 PM

I am now making a super villian vampire who markets heroic vampires to children so it will be easier for vampires to lure children away.

His name will be Count Media.

danielxcutter
2021-05-18, 09:49 PM
I am now making a super villian vampire who markets heroic vampires to children so it will be easier for vampires to lure children away.

His name will be Count Media.

That... actually sounds legit.

Also am I missing a reference?

Calthropstu
2021-05-18, 10:15 PM
That... actually sounds legit.

Also am I missing a reference?

Reread eldan's post. It was a pun off his post.

danielxcutter
2021-05-18, 10:21 PM
Reread eldan's post. It was a pun off his post.

I - oh, damnit.

Calthropstu
2021-05-18, 10:32 PM
I - oh, damnit.

*satisfied nod*

TeChameleon
2021-05-20, 02:14 AM
* Telling the ancient vampire what a ludicrous drama queen they are is probably not an optimal survival strategy, evil party or not. Especially when they're orders of magnitude more powerful than the entire party put together.
** Pointing out that the two ancient vampires that control most of the empire between them are acting like spoiled toddlers who both think the other got more candy than they did... also somewhat suboptimal when it comes to survival.
*** Complaining that the various 'rewards' offered one's character are pretty much unintentional death sentences... okay, starting to wonder whether me or the DM is worse at being evil :smallconfused:

(if the death sentence rewards were deliberate, then sure, the DM is doing evil pretty well, but I'm 90% certain that they're supposed to be actual rewards...)

danielxcutter
2021-05-20, 03:08 AM
* Telling the ancient vampire what a ludicrous drama queen they are is probably not an optimal survival strategy, evil party or not. Especially when they're orders of magnitude more powerful than the entire party put together.
** Pointing out that the two ancient vampires that control most of the empire between them are acting like spoiled toddlers who both think the other got more candy than they did... also somewhat suboptimal when it comes to survival.
*** Complaining that the various 'rewards' offered one's character are pretty much unintentional death sentences... okay, starting to wonder whether me or the DM is worse at being evil :smallconfused:

(if the death sentence rewards were deliberate, then sure, the DM is doing evil pretty well, but I'm 90% certain that they're supposed to be actual rewards...)

Depends on the rewards. What were they?

noob
2021-05-20, 03:12 AM

I like to imagine it is stuff like "I will let you see the light of the sun once I rule over my empire of shadows" proposed to a vampire(because the gm forgot the pc was a vampire).

Bohandas
2021-05-20, 03:16 AM
that and traditional superheroes (namely DC/Marvel) both have heroic vampires, they're not exactly A-Listers, not something you see on the Justice League or the Avengers, y'know?

Not in Justice Leafue or Avengers true, but Blade still got three movies

danielxcutter
2021-05-20, 04:23 AM
I like to imagine it is stuff like "I will let you see the light of the sun once I rule over my empire of shadows" proposed to a vampire(because the gm forgot the pc was a vampire).

I mean if the means are provided to prevent spontaneous combustion as well...

Rater202
2021-05-20, 04:44 AM
Actually, Blade's been an Avenger Twice: Once in the Mighty Avengers and currently, he's part of the main roster.

The Main Roster currently consists of Black Panther(current chairmen) Captain America, Iron Man, All-Father Thor, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk(who has been empowered to the point of surpassing The Green Scar in strength) Roberto Reyes(The most powerful Ghost Rider in recorded history, albeit far less experienced than the likes of Jonny or Danny,) Blade, and most recently Echo, who is the current host of the Phoenix Force.

Doctor Strange is also a reserve member, and the Black Panther has created the "Agents of Wakanda," consisting of Gorillaman, Fat Cobra, The Wasp, Mocking Bird, Manwolff, Ka-Zar, Broo, Doctor Nemesis, American Eagle, and Roz Solomon(Former Agent of SHIELD.) Ursa Major is also a member, but he's undercover: Officially he's part of Russia's Winter Guard(The Red Room is doing something shady again.)

There also used to be a Strikeforce, consisting of Wiccan, Winter Soldier, Spider-Woman, Spectrum, Angela, and Daimon Hellstrom: Son of Satan serving directly under Blade, but they elected to disband after resolving the issue that forced their formation rather than stay on as the Avengers Covert ops.

Odin was also serving as an advisor up until The War of the Realms, where he abdicated the Throne of Asgard to Thor and then went on a bender across the galaxy.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-20, 04:56 AM
Not in Justice League or Avengers true, but Blade still got three movies

Sure I guess....

Edit: @ Rater, not all of us have a near encyclopedic knowledge of marvel comics, Rater. when I speak of things like this, I speak of general trends and expectations.

* Commander Shepard cannot be so bad at driving the Mako that she somehow makes it spin and flip everywhere, bounce between buildings, somehow fly upside down, then proceed to go off planet, achieve FTL speeds no mass effect drive can replicate only to fly through the entire universe during which the hyperspace around the mako becomes a multi-colored drug trip like landscape shifts to plaid, shifts to lovecraftian horrors shifts to various other surreal things, only then to loop back around to land on the planet she took off from right at their destination and get off as if nothing happened
** nor can Haru Okumura be so bad at driving that the car around her becomes a fireball expanding to fill the entire road and angels and demons suddenly burst from the flames to fight each other while she speeds as fast possible, an epic battle playing out around them as the entire road become a flaming tornado tunnel then when she hits maximum speed they somehow crash into their destination...but then they wake up and the car is just fine, Haru says nothing out of the ordinary happened even though you swear that wasn't a dream
*** bad driving does not lead to absurd trippy surreal sequences that make no sense and affect nothing to mess with the PCs and players or to be funny.

* I cannot be so indecisive and uncertain about a characters powers and themes that I give them cosplay powers so they theoretically can have any power needed for what I want
** The cosplays can't be nothing but references to other characters and works I like
*** Can't hide what those references are with flowery Exalted like names such as "Prismatic Caprine Angel", "Stubborn Inferno Detective", "Onyx Scissor Heroine", "Fallen Infinite Blade Hero" or "Azure Skeleton of Judgement"
**** "Emerald Drills of Hope" is too obvious and fooling no one.

danielxcutter
2021-05-20, 05:57 AM
Sure I guess....

Edit: @ Rater, not all of us have a near encyclopedic knowledge of marvel comics, Rater. when I speak of things like this, I speak of general trends and expectations.

* Commander Shepard cannot be so bad at driving the Mako that she somehow makes it spin and flip everywhere, bounce between buildings, somehow fly upside down, then proceed to go off planet, achieve FTL speeds no mass effect drive can replicate only to fly through the entire universe during which the hyperspace around the mako becomes a multi-colored drug trip like landscape shifts to plaid, shifts to lovecraftian horrors shifts to various other surreal things, only then to loop back around to land on the planet she took off from right at their destination and get off as if nothing happened
** nor can Haru Okumura be so bad at driving that the car around her becomes a fireball expanding to fill the entire road and angels and demons suddenly burst from the flames to fight each other while she speeds as fast possible, an epic battle playing out around them as the entire road become a flaming tornado tunnel then when she hits maximum speed they somehow crash into their destination...but then they wake up and the car is just fine, Haru says nothing out of the ordinary happened even though you swear that wasn't a dream
*** bad driving does not lead to absurd trippy surreal sequences that make no sense and affect nothing to mess with the PCs and players or to be funny.

* I cannot be so indecisive and uncertain about a characters powers and themes that I give them cosplay powers so they theoretically can have any power needed for what I want
** The cosplays can't be nothing but references to other characters and works I like
*** Can't hide what those references are with flowery Exalted like names such as "Prismatic Caprine Angel", "Stubborn Inferno Detective", "Onyx Scissor Heroine", "Fallen Infinite Blade Hero" or "Azure Skeleton of Judgement"
**** "Emerald Drills of Hope" is too obvious and fooling no one.

I actually do not get any of those except maybe the drill one.

Rockphed
2021-05-20, 05:59 AM
Ahem, welcome to page 50. We should probably come up with a title for the next iteration of this (incredibly silly) thread.

* I cannot put all my character points into flight and completely ignore everything else.

danielxcutter
2021-05-20, 06:31 AM
Something about the thread number being unlucky probably, can't think of something snappy atm tho.

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-20, 06:32 AM
For thread title suggestions:

Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: We Need a New GM

Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Recruiting The Half-elf Bardic Army

Things I May No Longer Do Whole Playing XIII: GM's Girlfriend Is Not Purchaseable.

Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Multiclassing Is A Privilege Not A Right

Rater202
2021-05-20, 06:42 AM

That wasn't directed at you, that was directed at Bohondas, who said that Blade was not in the Avengers.

Should have quoted, sorry.

As for titles, how about: This Is A Banned List, Not A Drinking Game.

danielxcutter
2021-05-20, 06:45 AM
That wasn't directed at you, that was directed at Bohondas, who said that Blade was not in the Avengers.

Should have quoted, sorry.

Okay yeah, my vote's for this.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-20, 06:50 AM
I actually do not get any of those except maybe the drill one.

Then they are doing their job, actually. they are supposed to allow me reference these things without explicitly saying them, which is useful for certain reasons.

"Prismatic Caprine Angel"- Asriel Dreamurr (Undertale)
"Stubborn Inferno Detective"- Harry Dresden (Dresden Files)
"Onyx Scissor Heroine"- Ryuko Matoi (Kill La Kill)
"Fallen Infinite Blade Hero"- Emiya, the heroic spirit (Fate/Stay Night)
"Azure Skeleton of Judgement"- Sans (Undertale)
"Emerald Drills of Hope"-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

* "Hollow Bat of Justice" is even more obvious
** "Battle-Happy Orange Monkey" or "Prideful Monkey Prince" just as much
*** Is "Orb-Tamer of Cuteness" even trying?
**** "Star Sword Monk" is severely lowballing it.

* May not suggest thread titles like "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: No Ideas From the Internet", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Bring Black Cats", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Think"

danielxcutter
2021-05-20, 06:55 AM
Then they are doing their job, actually. they are supposed to allow me reference these things without explicitly saying them, which is useful for certain reasons.

"Prismatic Caprine Angel"- Asriel Dreamurr (Undertale)
"Stubborn Inferno Detective"- Harry Dresden (Dresden Files)
"Onyx Scissor Heroine"- Ryuko Matoi (Kill La Kill)
"Fallen Infinite Blade Hero"- Emiya, the heroic spirit (Fate/Stay Night)
"Azure Skeleton of Judgement"- Sans (Undertale)
"Emerald Drills of Hope"-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

* "Hollow Bat of Justice" is even more obvious
** "Battle-Happy Orange Monkey" or "Prideful Monkey Prince" just as much
*** Is "Orb-Tamer of Cuteness" even trying?
**** "Star Sword Monk" is severely lowballing it.

* May not suggest thread titles like "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: No Ideas From the Internet", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Black Cats Not Allowed", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Think"

Oh you sonuva... still don't get the last one though, for real.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-20, 07:07 AM
Oh you sonuva... still don't get the last one though, for real.

Well the Exalted method of flowery language to descriptively refer to things may be more effective than I thought because "Star Sword Monk" = Jedi. I legit thought anyone could get that, sorry.

danielxcutter
2021-05-20, 07:15 AM
Well the Exalted method of flowery language to descriptively refer to things may be more effective than I thought because "Star Sword Monk" = Jedi. I legit thought anyone could get that, sorry.

Goddamnit.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-20, 09:05 AM
Goddamnit.

* May not torment people with flowery descriptive references to popular media
** Especially if its all just so that my character that I'm writing for a book can shout the references like martial arts techniques to get around copyrights
*** and to minimize the amount of obvious references in the work because its set in a different world and thus wouldn't entirely make sense to have those media be named, and referring to them directly could date the writing.

Rater202
2021-05-20, 09:15 AM
I can't make super soldiers by exposing a room full of random civilians to both the venom-virus and the spider-flu, locking them in with enough food and water to last a month, and watching what happens.

Taevyr
2021-05-20, 01:09 PM
I can't make super soldiers by exposing a room full of random civilians to both the venom-virus and the spider-flu, locking them in with enough food and water to last a month, and watching what happens.

"Remember kids: the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!"

noob
2021-05-20, 01:14 PM
"Remember kids: the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!"

In science you also write down the method to commit the atrocities so that other people can try.
Like "We brought in our base after neutralisation 50 people we acquired because they were easy to catch and close to the factory we hid in then we injected them with the samples of blood(because it was easy to get from test subjects from previous experiments) from people infected with the two following varieties of viral infections:..."
And "due to the neutralisation process being bashing the individual until it stops moving the test subjects were suffering from varied wounds and broken bones: if you are trying to reproduce the experiment you should check if they are in such state and if they are not bash them with a club until they are in such a state"

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-20, 02:08 PM
I once had a GM who hated me paying a scientist, because I actually started experimenting on the zombies when he just wanted us to shoot them in the face. He did everything he could to stop me, including letting me spend points on resources and then insisting it's has to be in useless cash instead of lab equipment. I spent the entire game six points behind everybody else because of that, never got a refund.

Couldn't just say he didn't want me building a scientist, and I'm not sure how he expected me to make use of my demolitions skills without any equipment. Annoyingly he banned my first character, who'd have fit much better, just because I wanted to use the magic rules. So I don't get why he could have bannes magic but not explicitly stated that he did not want a scientist.

We eventually secured far more resources than I'd have begun with and I responded by arming everybody with homemade tasers and explaining exactly how I had the resources to build a railgun. That scares him because he'd only encountered the word in 40k before.

All I'm saying is, know your GM before making a scientist.

(For the record I never managed to use electric shocks to train zombies, but did discover exactly what parts they needed to not be the dead dead.)

Calthropstu
2021-05-20, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna throw my thread name into the hat: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: A group of bards is band.

TeChameleon
2021-05-20, 04:30 PM

The only one I remember offhand was promising to make my character the leader of his noble house by force. In a lawful evil empire. That... basically just paints a target on my character, particularly since said drama queen vampire is pretty much guaranteed to ignore my PC once said making-leader is done. Patronage with a neglectful patron and a rebellious powerbase is not a happy situation.

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-05-21, 08:26 AM

Second this one.

Rater202
2021-05-21, 11:42 AM
It doesn't matter how good my intentions were, nothing good can come from mass infecting the Quarians with klyntar symbiotes.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-21, 11:08 PM
* Gathering an asari and quarian lesbian harem is not allowed
** Mostly because that just results in more asari. They're long lived and attractive to everyone already! you want them to be a dominant species?
*** May not respond with "They can dominate my species any time if you know what I mean." while waggling my eyebrows.

Rater202
2021-05-22, 12:09 AM
* Gathering an asari and quarian lesbian harem is not allowed

**May not question how tha'ts supposed to work, since Quarians have really crpappy immune systems.

Like, seriously, Quarian physical intimacy in most cases is "link their suits up so that their personal environments match up" and this is considered to be a major sign of trust because it's very dangerous.

If Shep romance Tali and they consummate their relationship, then despite taking every possible precaution and Tali pre-dosing with anti-biotic and immune-boosting supplements she still gets a bad infection from the ambient microbes she gets exposed to in the process.

Unless the 'harem' is completely platonic, I'm just seeing that ending with a lot of sick quarians.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-22, 01:23 AM
Unless the 'harem' is completely platonic, I'm just seeing that ending with a lot of sick quarians.

It wouldn't be platonic. Thats why its not allowed Rater! not everyone is as boringly thorough, sensible and focused on safety as you! I'm already too cautious in real life, gaming and roleplaying allows me to take risks and have some excitement for a change, so whenever people insist on treating their games as if it was so much like real life that the characters don't take some risks that make things fun, it kind of saddens and confuses me. problems like that are what allows drama like "she loves me but she'll get infected if we get too close" or "we need to find a way to boost Quarian immune systems no matter what" which fuels characters actually going to do things and be driven to succeed! otherwise the only dramatic personal plot you can do is one character getting kidnapped so the other rescues them.

* Cannot depict a character who has achieved Chim as a cartoon character who cannot be stopped or defeated, but exists only to do wacky or comedically sociopathic things and be a chaotic hooligan without really changing anything
** Even if that is what most players become when they achieve such power in Elder Scrolls
*** the idea that Vivec went through a "funny skyrim youtuber" phase where he just keeps restarting his life to do random challenges or skits in his time for the lulz is funny though and would explain a lot of the Dunmer's stories about him though.

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-05-22, 07:54 AM
**May not question how tha'ts supposed to work, since Quarians have really crpappy immune systems.

I dunno, I think this disproves your early statement re: Quarians and Klyntar symbiotes.

Rater202
2021-05-22, 08:21 AM
I dunno, I think this disproves your early statement re: Quarians and Klyntar symbiotes.

Klyntar symbiote renders the host immune to almost all infectious diseases.

In other words, infecting th Quarians with Klyntar would mean that the Quarians would no longer need their environmental suits.

Klyntar symbiote can also adapt to their environments and process breathable gasses for the host to the point of being able to keep a human alive in orbit without oxygen for several months, meaning that they wouldn't even need environmental suits in hostile environments, as long as the environment wasn't too hot or too loud... Though ideally, they're going to want at least some oxygen in the atmosphere.

A healthy symbiote also doesn't need to eat and can nourish its host, meaning that unless their symbiote has a deficiency the host doesn't need to eat. If they do eat, the symbiote can store excess nutrients more efficiently than the host's natural digestive system and consume any organic and some inorganic matter that the host can't process, meaning that they might not produce waste.

I don't know if klyntar hosts need to drink, but...

Basically, it would solve all of their problems. They wouldn't nessesarily be able to take back their homeworld, but they'd be able to find a planet somewhere that nobody else is interested in and start a colony.

In addition, the reasons the Quarians as a species have week immune systems is because they evolved to live in symbiosis with a variety of microbes and co-opt microbes that infect them... But it doesn't work with viruses and bacteria not native to their home planet. Theoretically, this should mean that a symbiotic lifeform like a klyntar would have an easy time adapting to a quarian's body.

The problem is that mass infecting people with Klyntar never ends well.

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-05-22, 12:20 PM
If they do eat, the symbiote can store excess nutrients more efficiently than the host's natural digestive system and consume any organic and some inorganic matter that the host can't process, meaning that they might not produce waste.

Last I heard they do produce waste; that was the ‘drool’ Venom makes. Of course that was leftovers from eating bullets, normal food items might be easier...

Basically, it would solve all of their problems. They wouldn't nessesarily be able to take back their homeworld, but they'd be able to find a planet somewhere that nobody else is interested in and start a colony.

Yes, that is the idea.

The problem is that mass infecting people with Klyntar never ends well.

From whose perspective? :smallwink:

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-22, 01:38 PM
* I cannot try to apply real physics to comic stuff.

* If I'm running a cosmic horror game I should inform the players before it starts.
** Suggesting that maybe combat characters won't do so well does not count.
*** Cannot have the eldritch horrors have significantly more hp than the rules say they should, just to avoid the old 'hockey stadium full of explosives' trick.

* Cannot enforce ammunition tracking and realistic loadouts.
** Mainly because of how many weapons my combat characters tend to carry.

ideasmith
2021-05-22, 08:59 PM
* I cannot try to apply real physics to comic stuff.

** May not apply real physics to anything inspired by Bugs Bunny.

Calthropstu
2021-05-22, 09:54 PM
** May not apply real physics to anything inspired by Bugs Bunny.

***May not apply anything inspired by bugs bunny to real life.

Lord Raziere
2021-05-23, 03:50 AM
* My Star Wars character cannot be "What if a Hot-blood Kamina like character was born a jedi?"
** Or any other anime archetype that draws a lot of power from emotion
*** Combining the psychic equivalents of matter and antimatter will not end well

* May not apply real bunny to bug physics.
** May not apply physics bunny to real bug
***.....Wait.

Rater202
2021-05-23, 04:09 AM
Since we're on the last post of the last page, I'm gonna make the next thread.

Counting votes... With two votes, it looks like my suggestion one unless there's some post hiding from me.

Will link when posted.

Everyone Bail Out of The thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?631966-Things-I-May-No-Longer-Do-While-Playing-13-This-Is-A-Banned-List-Not-A-Drinking-Game&p=25057391#post25057391)