PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Are there any good d20 products on sacred geometry and/or ley lines?

thorr-kan
2018-11-14, 12:25 PM
OGL d20 preferably, Pathfinder if you're aware of nothing else.

I find myself wanting to explore these options. But I'm busy enough and not too proud to look over something else, if somebody's done it first.

Palanan
2018-11-14, 12:36 PM
Several years ago Kobold Press came out with a hefty book called (I believe) Deep Magic, which was loaded with spells and options of every kind. I remember they had a section on ley lines that looked interesting, but unfortunately I wasn't able to score a copy. I'm having a hard time finding it right now, so it may be out of print.

It was definitely Pathfinder-compatible, though, since it had some great magus spells, as well as some truly hilarious dwarven-beard spells.

Telonius
2018-11-14, 12:55 PM
It's not exactly good, but the Geomancer prestige class from Complete Divine has a feature called Ley Lines. (Grants a minor bonus to CL when in a particular sort of terrain).

For "Sacred Geometry," the two things that come to mind are the Geometer prestige class (from Complete Arcane) and the Binder from Tome of Magic.

You might also want to check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?314355-Ley-Lines-in-Faerun-Other-settings) (from about 5 years ago); there was some discussion on Magic of Faerun about midway down that might be useful.

Palanan
2018-11-14, 01:01 PM
Here's what I posted in that thread Telonius linked, as far as lines of power in Faerūn:

Magic of Faerūn has a section on "Crossroads and Backroads" (pp. 44-46), which are described as "mystical roads of geomagical energy," a decent enough description of ley-lines. In practice they tend to work like hyperspace conduits: messages or travelers pass instantaneously from one point to another--sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. (And the text even makes an oblique reference to the classic SF description of hyperspace.)

Also, here's a more recent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?520105-Ley-Lines-in-Fantasy) I started about ley lines in fantasy, if you're interested in a variety of different approaches that could be adapted to D20 gaming.

thorr-kan
2018-11-14, 05:05 PM
Several years ago Kobold Press came out with a hefty book called (I believe) Deep Magic, which was loaded with spells and options of every kind. I remember they had a section on ley lines that looked interesting, but unfortunately I wasn't able to score a copy. I'm having a hard time finding it right now, so it may be out of print.

It was definitely Pathfinder-compatible, though, since it had some great magus spells, as well as some truly hilarious dwarven-beard spells.
You know, I was a patron of that project, and I even contributed a spell: Purge Pests was a reskin on a 2ED spell. I should have remembered this. I'll look it over.

thorr-kan
2018-11-14, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the thread links.

I vaguely remember the discussion in Magic of Faerun. I'll look that up.

Palanan
2018-11-14, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by thorr-kan
You know, I was a patron of that project....

Is this still available anywhere? I remember the book looked fantastic, I'd love to get a copy somehow.

thorr-kan
2018-11-14, 05:53 PM
Is this still available anywhere? I remember the book looked fantastic, I'd love to get a copy somehow.
PDF from Kobold Press:
https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/deep-magic-pathfinder-rpg/

Physical copies appear to be sold out.

With the new version of PF and the shift to 5ED, I would not count on a reprint.

Analytica
2018-11-17, 08:02 PM
Pathfinder has both in one of the later books (Occult Mysteries). Sacred Geometry has you solving equations for free metamagic.