PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Aster's Arcane Atlas: 35 New Subclasses

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-11-15, 11:46 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jaVCHKJfi1LggQSD4cPiJN1ZOqZffNnLFPxKfZzrjjM/edit?usp=sharing

I've been at work on this one for awhile. Named after one of the wizards I played, Aster's Arcane Atlas is the beginnings of an expansion. Currently 35 subclasses long, this guide adds a lot of options to the game. In particular, this guide adds a unique subclass for every race up through Volo's, and incorporates Forgotten Realms lore into why certain archetypes are limited. I intend to expand beyond this, and I'm currently working on some home-brew spells (I hope to have around 50 with a fairly even split between spell levels). If you have any suggestions for balancing these subclasses, ideas for new ones, or suggestions for spells, feel free to leave a comment below.

Garfunion
2018-11-15, 02:53 PM
I’m gonna be honest. Trying to critique these archetypes it’s going to be a little bit difficult. I would suggest posting each archetype in it’s only thread (probably every 3 days).
But I will say this, I do not like archetypes that restrict the races that can play it.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-11-15, 02:59 PM
I’m gonna be honest. Trying to critique these archetypes it’s going to be a little bit difficult. I would suggest posting each archetype in it’s only thread (probably every 3 days).
But I will say this, I do not like archetypes that restrict the races that can play it.

I agree with the hatred of exclusive archetypes. The only reason I wrote them is so everyone would have one, rather than just the elves and dwarves.

JNAProductions
2018-11-15, 03:28 PM
I agree with the hatred of exclusive archetypes. The only reason I wrote them is so everyone would have one, rather than just the elves and dwarves.

Seems a little backwards to me.

"This thing is bad-let's make more of it!"

I have not looked at the subclasses yet, that logic just seems iffy.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-11-15, 05:29 PM
Seems a little backwards to me.

"This thing is bad-let's make more of it!"

I have not looked at the subclasses yet, that logic just seems iffy.

I phrased that bad. I don’t like the exclusive subclasses because only elves and dwarves get them. Other classes lose out on that unique factor then. By making a subclass for every race, no one in particular is left out.

JBPuffin
2018-11-16, 06:57 PM
I phrased that bad. I don’t like the exclusive subclasses because only elves and dwarves get them. Other classes lose out on that unique factor then. By making a subclass for every race, no one in particular is left out.

Not gonna lie, that's literally the only way I saw that comment could've been interpreted. Yay optimism.

I'll see if I can review all of these. Will say off the bat, Horde Breaker Barbarian might be a bit much at level 3, but I'd love to see one at my table just chugging through enemies.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-11-18, 12:21 PM
Not gonna lie, that's literally the only way I saw that comment could've been interpreted. Yay optimism.

I'll see if I can review all of these. Will say off the bat, Horde Breaker Barbarian might be a bit much at level 3, but I'd love to see one at my table just chugging through enemies.

Honestly, Horde Breaker was largely just transplanting some Hunter Ranger features over. Maybe a slight change that you only get the benefits while raging could fix it?