PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sorcerer/Fighter

Mythalidor
2018-11-15, 12:16 PM
So my basic idea is a Hill Dwarf, "born of the stone" who becomes a swordsman. So I was looking to multiclass between Sorcerer and Fighter, but the main problem is the M.A.D. between CON, CHA, and DEX or STR. I know that a 1 level dip into Hexblade can make the attributes drop to only CON and CHA, but I'm uncertain how to optimize the character. My main two ideas are:
Sorcerer 6/Warlock 2/Fighter 12
STR:10/DEX:12/CON:15/INT:8/WIS:13/CHA:14
Then Hill Dwarf adds +2 CON, +1WIS, and addition HP.
Sorcerer at 6 unlocks Stone Aegis.
Warlock at 2 gives Eldritch Invocations
Fighter at (11 gives 2x Extra attacks) 12 gives ASI
Not including ASI or Feats the Char would be at:
STR:10/DEX:12/CON:17/INT:8/WIS:14/CHA:14
AC:16(Stone Sorcery Feature)(18 with Shield)

The second idea was
Sorcerer 8/Fighter 12
STR:10/DEX:12/CON:17/INT:8/WIS:14/CHA:14 (Not including ASI)
And the reason for putting Sorcerer to 8 was the additional spell slots and sorcerery points.
Perhaps Magic Initiate for this build to get Shillelagh and use a polearm with WIS rather than a different weapon with STR or DEX.

For both of them the Quickened Spell was a metamagic choice, hopefully so I could use the Fighter's extra attacks, then cast a spell as a bonus action.

I don't know quite what to do to optimize this build, and I'm not certain which Fighter Archetype would go best, the whole point of my build is to try to create a "Magic Swordsman" sort of feel to it. Any suggestions would be great.

Crgaston
2018-11-15, 05:33 PM
You don't actually need Dex for this, since the Stone Sorcerer feature sets your AC at 13+ Con. If you're OK with a Mountain Dwarf, you can start with 16/10/16/10/10/14 or if you don't mind 8's, 16/8/17/8/10/15. With the latter array you'll have 18 Con and 16 Cha at your first ASI for 19AC with a shield.

Fighter 2/ Sorcerer 3/ Fighter 6/ Sorcerer X would probably be how I'd level that one. Since both Fighter and Sorcerer start with Con saves, I'd probably go Fighter first for the 4 extra HP and better skill synergy with your stats.

For cantrips, Mold Earth obviously, and Booming Blade to mitigate the delay in Extra Attack. Maybe Shocking Grasp for the Disengage and Create Bonfire to have a fair ranged attack, some minor CC and something to do with your concentration when you are out of slots.

Spells at Sorcerer 3 would probably be Absorb Elements, Jump, Enlarge/Reduce for coolness factor and Grappling shenanigans (Twin to Enlarge yourself and an ally or Enlarge yourself and Reduce an opponent) and Shatter for the AOE or Blur for defense. Spell choices are highly subjective in this sort of build and depend strongly on what sort of vibe you're going for.

As for Fighter archetype, Battlemaster is never a bad choice, or you could go EK to pick up utility cantrips and defensive spells. If you go EK, the L7 War Magic feature is just too good to pass up, IMHO.

The best reason to dip Warlock, IMO, is not so much for the Cha to attack as it is to get Armor of Agathys. Especially as an EK with the L7 feature, because then you can cast Blade Ward as your action and still make a Bonus Action weapon attack. AoA is a non-concentration buff/damage spell that will last twice as long with the resistance from Blade Ward. Upcast it with your highest slots and you will be doing hella cold damage just for getting hit (Alternately, combine with Parry/Riposte if you go Battlemaster to make it last even longer if they hit you/smack 'em if they miss).

Anyway, just some thoughts. I really like the concept and hope you share some exploits down the road!

Nhorianscum
2018-11-15, 06:35 PM
(PDK/Bannerett) 11/Stone 9.

PDK is admitedly mechanically weaker than other options in terms of raw combat but the roleplay and social boons of a dwarf bannerette born of stone to (do... something... heroic?) seem too good to pass up.It also gives us the expertise we need to make a very non-standard face but it certainly works and any excuse to play a dwarven face is worth it imo.

Regardless of the overall build, I'd suggest holding off on quicken until your 3rd metamagic, and take subtle/heighten at 3 to really abuse your all game babies (wrathful smite, suggestion, web, phantasmal, etc). Fighter 11 is the only really compelling reason to take fighter past 2 at all here so sure 3 attacks with a big hammer is pretty good damage and we'll take it. We go to 5th level spells because up to 6 walls of stone per day is a perfectly suitable capstone for a dwarf gish, and up to 6 animate objects a day keeps our DPR relevant.

Edit: From a damage/combat OP perspective hex5/fighter2/sorc 13 or hex 5/Sorc 15 is just better in every way to the proposed concept. The above is very much a "use the whole buffalo" build based around the given concept.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-15, 07:08 PM
I'm wracking my brain trying my darndest to come up with a plan that works well for your character. Honestly, with the Stone Sorcerer, there's not a lot of options for other melee classes that don't run into optimization problems.

I'd actually recommend completely scrapping out Fighter, replacing it with Warlock levels into Undying. At Warlock level 3, you can grab the Tome, which gives you access to Charisma Shillelagh. With an Undying Patron, it can match your flavor as having a "heart of immortal stone", and your level 1 Warlock feature applies due to undead not actually registering you as "living", and you can put that "nonliving spirit" into your allies (Spare the Dying level 1, Necromancy cantrip).

This works out well for three reasons:

1. Your Stone Sorcery feature at level 6 lets you teleport to allies after they've been hit, allowing you to IMMEDIATELY be within range to revive them.
2. The Undying Patron feature at level 6 allows you to gain health based on your Constitution whenever you use Spare the Dying or when you succeed on a death saving throw
3. Warlock spell slots work exceptionally well with Sorcery Points, giving you some incredibly sustainable burst potential with your blade spells.

You'd be a 2 stat character, well optimized as a caster and a melee combatant. I'd start with Stone Sorcerer, going into Warlock far enough to get Charisma Shillelagh (level 3), and then go in either direction you feel you need most (Sorcerer for melee, Warlock for casting).