PDA

View Full Version : Patron name

stewstew5
2018-11-15, 01:48 PM
My warlock's patron (fiend) is known as the serpent or the venemous lord, but he needs a more formal name that's preferably less stereotypical. Any ideas?

Unoriginal
2018-11-15, 01:52 PM
My warlock's patron (fiend) is known as the serpent or the venemous lord, but he needs a more formal name that's preferably less stereotypical. Any ideas?

Carkian-drun

nickl_2000
2018-11-15, 01:53 PM
I would fall back to other languages that have the right feel if you are looking to make something up.

For example: Snake
Latin: Anguis
Zulu: Inyoka
Lithuanian: Gyvatė

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-15, 01:53 PM

The Lambent Viper.

Serpent of the Seven (sins).

The Blightspeaker.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-11-15, 01:55 PM
The feared and mighty Mr. Hissyface, harbinger of the apocalypse and burner of the sacrosanct!

Seriously, though, google translate is your friend.

Unoriginal
2018-11-15, 02:02 PM
I would fall back to other languages that have the right feel if you are looking to make something up.

Zehirkral is Turkish for "venom king/lord"

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-15, 02:05 PM

I particularly like the Latin version. Most plebs would think that it's a reference to Anguish (since it's a Fiend patron), but NO SUCKERS IT'S A SNEK.

Harleytrypp
2018-11-15, 03:19 PM
You could always go with "I am known by many names, but none may know my true name.... it's Bob, no, really, it's Bob."

stewstew5
2018-11-15, 03:42 PM
Zehirkral is Turkish for "venom king/lord"

Ooh I like that

guachi
2018-11-15, 03:47 PM
Thu'baan is 'snake' in Arabic, to throw another term out there.

bc56
2018-11-15, 05:40 PM
Snakey McSnakeface.

But on a more serious note.
Venom/poison in German is "Gift" so you could do some sort of play on Gift, like a misnomer.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-15, 06:04 PM
Plissken the Cycloptic.

Callak_Remier
2018-11-15, 06:32 PM
Thulsa Doon

For them Conan fans

Sharur
2018-11-15, 06:36 PM
Snakey McSnakeface.

But on a more serious note.
Venom/poison in German is "Gift" so you could do some sort of play on Gift, like a misnomer.

Ah, false cognates, always fun to play with. If you are a LOTR fan, you could go with Annatar (which translates to "Lord of Gifts"), which was a name Sauron went by in the Second Age.

Or we combine all of the suggestions of the thread:
οφιοειδής(Ofioeidís) bin Anguis'Tvar (Greek, Arabic, Latin'Bulgarian) for roughly, "Snakey McSnakeface", noting that "bin" and "Mc" are both (originally at least) portions of patronymics.

Alternatively, if you want go in a more convoluted double entendre (and don't mind biblical references) you could have "the omenakuivaaja", which is Finnish for "apple gifter". The Norse used descriptive poetical titles for a lot of things, called kennings. The gift of apples is a biblical reference, but as noted by bc56, gift is a German false cognate for "poison".

Unoriginal
2018-11-15, 07:09 PM
A kenning isn't a poetic title, it's the combination of two words to mean something related to both (generally in a metaphorical or indirect way). Ex: Beowulf (bee-wolf) means "bear", because a bear acts like a wolf towards bees, while "ring-giver" means "prince/king/lord", because the prince/king/lord was expected to give rings to their retainers.

GreyBlack
2018-11-15, 08:41 PM
Zalkin. That's a demon's name, right? Yes. Zalkin.

Teaguethebean
2018-11-15, 11:26 PM
Zalkin. That's a demon's name, right? Yes. Zalkin.

he will be back with friends bwhaahahahhhaaahahahaahha

stewstew5
2018-11-16, 01:03 PM
Ah, false cognates, always fun to play with. If you are a LOTR fan, you could go with Annatar (which translates to "Lord of Gifts"), which was a name Sauron went by in the Second Age.

Or we combine all of the suggestions of the thread:
οφιοειδής(Ofioeidís) bin Anguis'Tvar (Greek, Arabic, Latin'Bulgarian) for roughly, "Snakey McSnakeface", noting that "bin" and "Mc" are both (originally at least) portions of patronymics.

Alternatively, if you want go in a more convoluted double entendre (and don't mind biblical references) you could have "the omenakuivaaja", which is Finnish for "apple gifter". The Norse used descriptive poetical titles for a lot of things, called kennings. The gift of apples is a biblical reference, but as noted by bc56, gift is a German false cognate for "poison".

You didn't have to go that hard but you did. I salute you

RedMage125
2018-11-16, 01:39 PM
Thu'baan is 'snake' in Arabic, to throw another term out there.

This one gets my vote. It even sounds dark, mysterious, and evil.