PDA

View Full Version : A few quick questions and a build idea.

Misterwhisper
2018-11-15, 02:58 PM
A few questions not really meant for the RAW thread and then a build question.

Can you wield a shield but choose not to get the AC from it?

ex. I have a high level armor of agathys going, which is great when hit with melee attacks but is a wastes the effect if hit by ranged, and I am wielding a shield in on of my hands, can I choose to use the shield to try to stop the ranged attacks but not use it for melee attacks?
Further, can I choose to give someone advantage to hit me, like I choose to defend myself poorly or leave myself open?

This came up from the idea of building a caster who only casts 2 spells, one cantrip, and one 1st level spell.
The spells do not have to come from the same class or anything, it is a theory build.

You get one cantrip from any class, and one 1st level spell from any class, you can cast them at will, at whatever caster level you can cast.
You do this with the full casting class of your choice otherwise,

What class and subclass do you pick, what cantrip and what 1st level spell.

I was thinking a Celestial Warlock with green flame blade and armor of agathys.

Any ideas?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-15, 03:09 PM
I mean, the best scenario that'd cover most of this as a highly successful build is Barbarian + Warlock. The Barbarian has Reckless Attack (granting advantage to be hit) and resistances (which increases the durability of Armor of Agathys). Since AoA doesn't use Concentration, you can cast it and then Rage without any problems.

As to address the RAW questions:

Dexterity increases your AC, indicating that you're actively dodging incoming attacks, which implies choice. I'd probably say you can choose to have your AC be whatever you want it to be, UP to your AC value. However, RAW, the shield AC is active until doffed, which requires an action.

As for the Advantage to be hit, Advantage is already something that is DM discretion (unless a mechanic specifically says otherwise). If a Battlemaster Fighter or a Barbarian can grant Advantage to be struck to gain some kind of benefit on their own attacks, I don't see why a player can't opt to allow someone to take Advantage to hit the player. RAW, a DM can simply decide someone has Dis/Advantage, so this falls within the legal parameters of the game (as long as your DM says its okay).