PDA

View Full Version : Refounding the Dominion {Starcraft 1 campaign.}

Lord
2018-11-15, 03:36 PM
Hey everyone. I've recently created a Starcraft 1 campaign set during the later parts of the Brood War.

The thing about Starcraft 2 is that there are a lot of unanswered questions in between. At the end of Brood War, the Dominion was shattered and broken. Mengsk had suffered numerous major defeats, and the zerg were apparently triumphant. Then comes Starcraft 2. Mar Sara is recolonized, Mengsk is back in power.

So what gives? What happened to turn back the clock?

This campaign is dedicated to answering that question. It is canon-compliant and deals with just how Arcturus Mengsk managed to rebuild his empire.

Description:
General Duke and Praetor Fenix are dead, and Kerrigan has turned her attention to the UED and its slave broods. With the terran sector in chaos and the Dominion in ruins, Arcturus Mengsk and Captain James Raynor form an unlikely alliance. Alone they don't stand a chance. Together they have a shot at survival and retribution.
You play the former Magistrate of Mar Sara, turned Commander of Raynor's Raiders. Together you, Mengsk, and Raynor will have the monumental task of...

REFOUNDING THE DOMINION

...Sorry for the drama.

The link is as follows if you want to check it out:
https://www.moddb.com/games/starcraft/addons/refounding-the-dominion

If you have any feedback on it, feel free to post it here. This is my first time posting a campaign of anything anywhere, so I'm a bit nervous.

Psyren
2018-11-18, 12:43 PM
The thing about Starcraft 2 is that there are a lot of unanswered questions in between.

I suspect more of them are answered than you think, just not in the games. There are novels/comic set in between Brood War and SC2, and at least one novel about Valerian's childhood in particular that would likely cover off on a lot of this stuff.

With that said, I'd rather play through such a story than read about it, so your project still has value - but I also vastly prefer the SC2 engine to SC1 even for covering historical events, so that means I wouldn't be in a good position to critique your work itself.

somedudeguy
2018-11-18, 06:27 PM
This sounds pretty cool. I miss the old level editors they used to have in RTS games. I made a Starcraft campaign a long time ago in highschool myself, although it wasn't anything nearly as ambitious as this. Jim Raynor was sitting at a bar when he found out that they were out of beer. He gathered up a force of drunk hillbillies, got them all guns, and stormed the brewing company. Once they were inside they learned that the beer was actually made from zergling urine (yeah, I know, but highschool me thought it was hilarious). I'd like to take credit for inventing the "small squad real time tactics" genre years before it became a thing, but even I think that would be a little presumptuous.

On a side note: did they not include the map editor in the remastered version of Starcraft? I seem to remember downloading it a while ago and not being able to find it.

GloatingSwine
2018-11-18, 06:31 PM
On a side note: did they not include the map editor in the remastered version of Starcraft? I seem to remember downloading it a while ago and not being able to find it.

Staredit.exe should be in the installation folder.

somedudeguy
2018-11-18, 06:40 PM
Staredit.exe should be in the installation folder.

Oh, that would make a lot of sense. I didn't see it in the main menu when you started it up and just assumed they took it out for some inscrutable reason.

Winthur
2018-11-19, 01:44 AM
Oh, that would make a lot of sense. I didn't see it in the main menu when you started it up and just assumed they took it out for some inscrutable reason.

You should use SCMDraft or any of the other third-party map editors unless Blizzard made those unusable with SC:Remastered along with mods. I know that the new patches to SCR added some new ways to create ramps so that they don't look as wonky, so maybe the new StarEdit has merged features from SCMDraft but I'm not sure.

As for the campaign, I will try it out soon! Thanks for posting.

Lord
2018-11-19, 08:46 AM
Hey just figured I'd put in that I found a serious error in at least one of the missions where it would state that the Hero in that mission had been killed, even if he hadn't. This resulted in a game over. I've since corrected the problem, but anyone with an older version of the campaign may find one or two issues with it.

See I tried using a trigger to make it so that if the player commanded zero of that hero then they lose with a five-second timer to let the hero be rescued. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that that would just make the player lose after five seconds. So I replaced with a deaths counter.

I thought I'd worked out all the bugs, too.

Oh and apparently I need to wait for authorization from ModDB before I can change my files. So it will be a bit before anyone can download the new version.

Still, I'm pretty sure the first three missions are fully playable.

Iruka
2018-11-28, 08:34 AM
I am currently still busy with SC II, but I hope I get around to trying your campaign during the holidays. :smallsmile:

WhismurWanders
2018-12-01, 12:24 PM
At the end of Brood War, the Dominion was shattered and broken. Mengsk had suffered numerous major defeats, and the zerg were apparently triumphant. Then comes Starcraft 2. Mar Sara is recolonized, Mengsk is back in power.

So what gives? What happened to turn back the clock?

I think most of it is just a lack of threats to Dominion rebuilding efforts. The Kel-Morian Combine (KMC) and the Umojan Protectorate have (AFAIK) been the only Terran powers capable of playing ball with the Dominion until Raynor's Raiders decide to saddle up in the SC2 campaign. However, the KMC Guilds stopped resisting authority a long time ago when they realized the Confederacy (and later the Dominion) would pay them to not do so after losing the Guild Wars, and the Umojans mostly decided to stay out of Dominion affairs entirely, which led to a bit of a Cold War between the two powers. With the Protoss recuperating from huge population and leadership losses, the UED getting its butt kicked all the way back to Sol, and Kerrigan deciding to rest on her laurels as Queen B of the Universe, there wasn't anything to really stop the Dominion from simply rebuilding.