PDA

View Full Version : Is Adventure League discussed here?

SirGuido
2018-11-15, 04:04 PM
I have a question to ask but don't want to step on toes if AL isn't spoken here.

Thanks,
Guido

Waterdeep Merch
2018-11-15, 04:06 PM
You'll find plenty of AL players in here. I've DM'd and played in a few games, but I'm hardly an expert.

Still, what questions do you have?

SirGuido
2018-11-15, 04:15 PM
I just played at GameHole con last weekend and took part in the new Fai Chen. I was able to sell a crappy legendary sword and received 200k GP and now I need to figure out what I can spend this money on my T3 Paladin / Hexblade. He doesn't really have anything but a rope of entanglement and a +2 long sword.

I've only been playing for about a year and dont really have a clue as to what I'm actually allowed to buy.

I tried posting this 3 times on the AL FB group and the admins wouldn't approve the post.

They don't want people getting their panties in a bunch since Season 8 destroyed any Hope's of being a "rich" character.

E’Tallitnics
2018-11-15, 04:41 PM
Can you just pick any magic item?

Waterdeep Merch
2018-11-15, 05:09 PM
Frustratingly, you can only buy mundane equipment, consumables, spell scrolls, and spell services. Especially in season 8- there used to be some rare circumstances where you could buy magic items with gold, like Port Nyanzaru in hardcover Tomb of Annihilation. But with the new system, I don't think you can anymore.

I'd keep enough around to pay for resurrections, then probably buy a few supreme healing potions and invisibility potions (5k for each). Those are always handy to have around.

EDIT: Maybe talk to one of the organizers about how many Treasure Points (TP) you're owed. That's how you get magic items now.

Barring unlocks from specific adventures, the Spellguard Shield and the modest Plate +1 are excellent upgrades.

sithlordnergal
2018-11-15, 05:14 PM
Well, sadly you cannot buy magic items with gold, but you can buy spell services. I would buy some 5th level Aid scrolls, a few potions of healing, and some mundane adventuring items.

As for your Treasure Points, save up for +1 Full Plate, then a +3 Shield

Bel-Torac
2018-11-15, 05:21 PM
You can download the rules and find them here. What legendary did you have to trade in? You weren't supposed to get gold for your item, you were supposed to get 24 treasure points to buy another item.

Here is a link to download all the update rules.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Player--DM-Pack?term=adventurers+league&test_epoch=0

SirGuido
2018-11-15, 06:11 PM
No, the NEW Fai Chen has downtime activities (this is only one activity of many offered at GHC). It was legit as I questioned several of the DMs participating in the downtime activities.
Other downtime activities include stat increases, additional feats, etc.

SirGuido
2018-11-15, 07:21 PM
The item I sold was a legendary flame tongue long sword. It was sentient.

Dalebert
2018-11-15, 07:32 PM
There's a way at Fai Chen to get gold for magic items?

Mikal
2018-11-15, 09:50 PM
I just played at GameHole con last weekend and took part in the new Fai Chen. I was able to sell a crappy legendary sword and received 200k GP and now I need to figure out what I can spend this money on my T3 Paladin / Hexblade. He doesn't really have anything but a rope of entanglement and a +2 long sword.

I've only been playing for about a year and dont really have a clue as to what I'm actually allowed to buy.

I tried posting this 3 times on the AL FB group and the admins wouldn't approve the post.

They don't want people getting their panties in a bunch since Season 8 destroyed any Hope's of being a "rich" character.

You’re the dude who posted in the Facebook group and got no useful answers? Hopefully you’ve found this thread more useful

GreyBlack
2018-11-15, 10:23 PM

I mean, to be fair, Season 8's changes are kind of a big old bag of [REDACTED], so I can understand that.

Really?! Splint armor +1 is too powerful for your game?!

Asmotherion
2018-11-15, 10:58 PM
I didn't even know the Adventure League had an official Facebook Group. Always wondered how people organised their play.

darknite
2018-11-16, 10:36 AM
I had several characters from previous seasons with tons of gold. With the new rules about purchasing potions and scrolls the sky is the limit for anyone capable of using them.

For example, my Evoker already has a Bag of Holding. Now it's stuffed with 40k gp worth of 1st-5th level scrolls - mainly utility spells only occasionally cast in niche situations, freeing up daily spells for a wider selection of offensive/defensive options while still being able to do things like Unseen Servant, Knock, Invisibility, Remove Curse, Tongues and the like when needed.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-11-16, 12:57 PM
I had several characters from previous seasons with tons of gold. With the new rules about purchasing potions and scrolls the sky is the limit for anyone capable of using them.

For example, my Evoker already has a Bag of Holding. Now it's stuffed with 40k gp worth of 1st-5th level scrolls - mainly utility spells only occasionally cast in niche situations, freeing up daily spells for a wider selection of offensive/defensive options while still being able to do things like Unseen Servant, Knock, Invisibility, Remove Curse, Tongues and the like when needed.
I think that's the OP's biggest issue. If he was a bard/cleric/druid/sorcerer/wizard, 200,000 gp would be amazing. That goes triple for wizards who would suddenly run into downtime limit problems memorizing all of those delicious spells.

There's some okay warlock and paladin spell scrolls to keep around. I'm assuming OP's a Hexblade 1/Paladin 10+, so level 1 warlock and level 3 paladin spells are fair game. If so, some good spells to keep scrolls around for so that you don't have to prepare them-

*Comprehend Languages
*Purify Food and Drink
*Find Steed
*Lesser Restoration
*Locate Object
*Zone of Truth
*Daylight
*Remove Curse

For spells that are nice to have extra uses on hand even if you prepared them, we've got-
*Cure Wounds
*Aid
*Aura of Vitality
*Crusader's Mantle
*Dispel Magic
*Revivify

And there's plenty of argument to be made for other spells you could cast, not to mention spells of a higher level if you're okay gambling on the casting. These are just the ones I'd prioritize.

darknite
2018-11-16, 01:04 PM
I think that's the OP's biggest issue. If he was a bard/cleric/druid/sorcerer/wizard, 200,000 gp would be amazing. That goes triple for wizards who would suddenly run into downtime limit problems memorizing all of those delicious spells....

I can see that. However Paladin spell slots are often tasked for Smiting, so having a good supply of spell scrolls allows them to be more active casters, as well. If you've got a nest egg of 200k gp to mooch off of, you can certainly use scrolls and potions nearly at will.

BTW, I was at GHC. OP - did you have a chance to do one of the new Fai Chen's activities? If so, which one did you choose and how did it go?

I took my Wizard to the Fighting Pits, went through some physical challenges (only succeeded on one) and walked away with a +1 to his Charisma(Intimidation).

SirGuido
2018-11-16, 03:45 PM
BTW, I was at GHC. OP - did you have a chance to do one of the new Fai Chen's activities? If so, which one did you choose and how did it go?

I took my Wizard to the Fighting Pits, went through some physical challenges (only succeeded on one) and walked away with a +1 to his Charisma(Intimidation).
I got the 200k by selling a crappy legendary sword at the Fai Chen Down Time table!
It only cost me 7 down time days to make the transaction.