PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Zone of Truth/Church Inquisitor Early Entry

Thurbane
2018-11-15, 05:53 PM
Just out of idle curiosity: avoiding 3rd party, homebrew or Dragon mag material, is there any way to access Zone of Truth before ECL 3?

The idea was to get Church Inquisitor entry with Cloistered Cleric 2 as the entry method.

Cheers - T

Saintheart
2018-11-15, 06:06 PM
Heroes of Horror depravity rules: by RAW, medium depravity plus the Mad Faith feat will get you a second level divine spell per day, which can be used on Zone of Truth.

Albeit this probably won't fit the concept. :)

Thurbane
2018-11-15, 06:46 PM
I'm a little confused by the reqs for Precocious Apprentice:

Prerequisites: Spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) 15, arcane caster level 1st.

..does that mean either Int or Cha needs to be your casting stat?

Saintheart
2018-11-16, 12:29 AM

At a glance, I read that as some misplaced commas and overenthusiastic brackets. I think it was probably meant to read "Spellcasting Ability, INT or CHA 15, arcane caster level 1st."

Khedrac
2018-11-16, 02:30 AM

Prerequisites: Spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) 15, arcane caster level 1st.

You should be able to remove the parenthesised text to determine the meaning, just losing some clarification, which gives:

"Prerequisites: Spellcasting ability 15, arcane caster level 1st."

Therefore I would say that you have to have spellcasting and either your Int or Cha as the ability for spellcasting and that ability must be at 15 or more.

Not sure how this would work for dual casting stats (like favored soul) - would need to check the spellcasting description for the class very closely.

Darrin
2018-11-16, 07:46 AM
Not sure how this would work for dual casting stats (like favored soul) - would need to check the spellcasting description for the class very closely.

Favored Soul text:

"To cast a spell, a favored soul must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell’s level [...]"

So I'd say your "spellcasting ability" is whatever ability score is mentioned in the "To cast a spell" sentence. The second ability score that determines the DCs for saves is not your "spellcasting ability".

Precocious Apprentice can be used to get the ability to cast zone of truth. Although the Prerequisites specify "arcane caster level 1st" , the Benefits text only requires that the chosen spell has to be in a school you have access to. So any arcane caster with access to Enchantment spells could select zone of truth for Precocious Apprentice. However, it does not actually add the spell to your spell list, and you lose access to the spell once you get "normal" 2nd level spells.