PDA

View Full Version : Post BM Errata magic item question

Desteplo
2018-11-15, 11:01 PM
So.. accidental starting a character that’s basically Pokémon. Lvl 7 BM forest gnome ranger with two magic items of uncommon quality

Bag of tricks (grey)
2 “familiar” options
And 6 “mount” options

I have a vulture animal companion (refluffed from pteranodon)

I can either do saddle of the cavalier to solidify mounted combat with my companion and swapping between bag of trick animals for variety on combat and mount options

Or

Insignia of the fang for +1 Attack/damage (although magical damage will probably be negated by the errata) I’ll more than likely attack using both animal and myself when I’m not bonus action helping

RSP
2018-11-15, 11:22 PM
It might be played different at your table, but keep in mind, if you’re controlling your mount, it can’t attack.

Conversely, if you’re not controlling it, it can attack, but you’ll have seperate initiatives and RAW, the DM would decide its actions.

Worth checking with your DM beforehand.

Desteplo
2018-11-16, 01:56 AM
It might be played different at your table, but keep in mind, if you’re controlling your mount, it can’t attack.

Conversely, if you’re not controlling it, it can attack, but you’ll have seperate initiatives and RAW, the DM would decide its actions.

Worth checking with your DM beforehand.

Bag of tricks let’s me command as a bonus action and on my initiative. Then it continues using that action
-animal companion is completely under my action economy + reaction + movement

Not attacking while mounted is fine. That’s why the question of the magic saddle is an option, the bag of tricks provide utility as more than one animal can be summoned at a time.

They can all use help action, attack or be mounted. Animal companion while can’t attack while mounted gives a flying mount speed on a very tough animal compared. And the auto disadvantage the saddle gives makes a dash action from the mount even better as an archer (dash/dodge)

But the +1 damage/Attack seems also good. Because all that above can still happen -free dodge

RSP
2018-11-16, 08:30 AM
Bag of tricks let’s me command as a bonus action and on my initiative. Then it continues using that action
-animal companion is completely under my action economy + reaction + movement

Not attacking while mounted is fine. That’s why the question of the magic saddle is an option, the bag of tricks provide utility as more than one animal can be summoned at a time.

They can all use help action, attack or be mounted. Animal companion while can’t attack while mounted gives a flying mount speed on a very tough animal compared. And the auto disadvantage the saddle gives makes a dash action from the mount even better as an archer (dash/dodge)

But the +1 damage/Attack seems also good. Because all that above can still happen -free dodge

Only if your DM agrees that Bag of Tricks invalidates the Rules for mounting; they very well may but nothing in the rules for BoT states this so you don’t have specific vs general.

Desteplo
2018-11-16, 10:42 AM
Only if your DM agrees that Bag of Tricks invalidates the Rules for mounting; they very well may but nothing in the rules for BoT states this so you don’t have specific vs general.

I can’t mount all of them at once. I’m not talking about using the mounted animal for anything other than mounting.

Gives me variety of mounts however so I can switch between. Or go on foot and have more combat options

Mounted by rules is a set of action free commands