PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Forge Sorcerer?

Citadel97501
2018-11-16, 02:07 AM
Hello all,
I was just wondering how you all feel about a Forge Cleric/Sorcerer? I was thinking about it due to how nasty the Heat Spell can be, that providing it to a Sorcerer would be handy unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available very easily so I was thinking perhaps a Forge Cleric Sorcerer would work well.

This is going to be primarily focused on Sorcerer as the 1st class, with a small dip into Forge Cleric. I am very concerned with the MAD issues, which makes me think a Bard would work better although the melee capacity of a Forge Cleric with Sorcerer Cantrips is plain nasty, which makes me tempted to switch it to the other direction of Forge Cleric with Sorcerer 3 for the Meta-Magic?

Benefits
Ritual Casting...
Extremely good AC, with shield and Heavy armor proficiency.
Cool Factor: Really cool craftsman sworn to the forge :)
Meta Magic Tricks: Twinned Heat Metal or Heightened is nasty as hell.
High Melee Damage if you hit: Booming Blade or GFB with Searing Smite (level 2) allows for a crap ton of damage in Melee. (Hand Axe at level 5+, 3d6+1d8 + attribute, technically can be thrown as well.)

Issues
MAD, Charisma & Wisdom Spell DC's?

Trustypeaches
2018-11-16, 03:06 AM
The main benefit of the dip is a massive boost in AC, going from 16 max (Mage Armor with 16 dex) to 19 (Scale Mail /w 14 Dex or Chain Mail + Shield + Blessing of the Forge) without spending a spell slot. A cleric dip is the easiest way to achieve this while preserving your spellcasting progression.

You also get ritual casting and anywhere between 4-6 extra spells to add the sorcerer’s pitiful spells known list.

Keep in mind that medium armor will still probably be better than heavy armor for you since it requires less stat investment to maximize: 14 Dex and your set, while higher level heavy armor requires 15 strength. Dex is just a better stat in general. You could theoretically use heavy armor while dumping strength too, and just deal with the reduced movement speed.

It’s a very strong dip