PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Breath - How much liter/ capicity in body

Metamorph
2018-11-16, 05:53 AM
Hello all,

I hope you can help me with this question,because I did not find any answer in the internet so far:

How much gas will an ancient green dragon exhale?
It is the same for black ones: how much acid do they really spit?

I think to now this could be really interesting (for example a green dragon is using it underwater to create hydrochloric acid).

I am looking forward to your comments!

Kind regards

Unoriginal
2018-11-16, 06:14 AM
Ancient Green Dragon's Breath is enough poison gaz to fill a 90ft cone. So 190928.6 cubic feet of poison gaz max.

Ancient Black Dragon's Breath is enough to fill a 90ft long, 10ft wide line. So 777.5 cubic feet or 777544 liters of acid max.

But that kind of things don't require precise measurements or the like.

Zombimode
2018-11-16, 06:14 AM
Proposing that Dragons breath something actually out of matter out of their body is a very... lets say "naturalistic" view of Things. A view that will raise some questions when you look at some of the more esoteric Dragon breaths.
Since Dragons are inherently supernatural creatures (with their flight ability and other clearly supernatural abilities) there is not need to demand a naturalistic explanation on the breath weapon. It would actually be rather inconsistent (you don't demand a naturalistic Explanation for the ability to fly, right?).

MThurston
2018-11-16, 07:04 AM
You will have to remember that gas takes up less space. So those cubic feet of gas are really not that much in liquid form.

I would assume that they have a gland that sprays into their breath to make the gas.

So breathing it underwater would do very little.

Unoriginal
2018-11-16, 07:11 AM
I would assume that they have a gland that sprays into their breath to make the gas.

Nah, they're just attuned to the background magic field of the universe.

Breathing poisonous gaz into the water results in a 90ft cone of water being filled with the poisonous gaz

Asmotherion
2018-11-16, 07:49 AM
Nah, they're just attuned to the background magic field of the universe.

Breathing poisonous gaz into the water results in a 90ft cone of water being filled with the poisonous gaz

Why not both? A minor natural breath effect that is "enhanced" through magic and breathed at the opponent.

Unoriginal
2018-11-16, 08:05 AM
Why not both? A minor natural breath effect that is "enhanced" through magic and breathed at the opponent.

You're free to fluff your world as you wish, but I'd rather keep catgirls away from the execution block when it comes to D&D. A Dragon's breath *is* natural despite not being biological, because the background magic field is natural.

Wonder why that kind of "real science" considerations always seem to gravitate around dragons or Giants, or sometime humanoids. Nobody asks for the science explaining Mephits or Yetis.

stack
2018-11-16, 08:14 AM
Its not like the entire volume would be 100% filled with breath anyway. Instantaneous in this instance just means that resolving it takes less than 6 seconds in game and the mechanical complexity of weakening it as it travels and spreads isn't worthwhile.

Asmotherion
2018-11-16, 08:40 AM
You're free to fluff your world as you wish, but I'd rather keep catgirls away from the execution block when it comes to D&D. A Dragon's breath *is* natural despite not being biological, because the background magic field is natural.

Wonder why that kind of "real science" considerations always seem to gravitate around dragons or Giants, or sometime humanoids. Nobody asks for the science explaining Mephits or Yetis.

Oh, it's simple really. Dragon's are just the right amound of realistic and plausible with a slight amound of impossible... everyone has his theory on how this "impossible" part might have worked if they were real, and wants to share his oppinion, and hear other people's thoughts.

Mephits are on the too "unrealistic" or too "magical" part, and everyone's average explaination is expected to be "because magic". I don't share this oppinion, but I suppose this explains it.

Yetis on the other hand have the reverse problem. They seem too mundane on first look, even if they're not. Everyone thinks "so what' it's an Ice Gorilla?". Few will care if it's an Ice Mephit traped in a gorila through magic, or a Native Gorilla Species from the Demiplane of Ice (I'm putting my money on the seccond).

Ganymede
2018-11-16, 10:32 AM
you don't demand a naturalistic Explanation for the ability to fly, right?

We don't generally apply scientific rigor to these things. Instead, we test to see if it strains our suspension of disbelief. In order words, we ask if something seems plausible based on what we've come to expect from legends, cultural zeitgeist, and pop culture.

Dragons can fly because it "seems legit," not because it is realistic under the laws of physics.