PDA

View Full Version : Build help - dangerous dude

Malapterus
2018-11-16, 11:34 AM
I couldn't think of a title for this.

okay so we have 2 levels of Humanoid, and 8 levels of a class that has Fighter bonus feats and rogue class features (minus sneak attack) and 6x hit die.

Full BaB for all 10 levels.

I want to work in the Blind Fighting & Einhander feats

I want to build the guy around fighting defensively & attack-of-opportunity.

What are good feats and such to work with this?

Also, is there a way to get more than one AoO on a specific person per round?

bean illus
2018-11-16, 01:43 PM
Maybe you could put the homebrew label on these threads? You are asking for help with a homebrew class, right? Is this another homebrew race?

And are these options available to your players? Because, if not, then i think it's off balance.

It seems as if; you could have EVERYTHING (almost) you want without breaking the rules, or everything you want BY making up rules, ...

*but you want to do both ... and want help 'cheating by the rules' that are left over. ?

Sorry to be blunt, but i think you should ask for help with ...

Full BaB for all 10 levels, or close.

I want to work in the Blind Fighting & Einhander feats

I want to build the guy around fighting defensively & attack-of-opportunity.

What are good feats and such to work with this?

Also, is there a way to get more than one AoO on a specific person per round?

1. Are there alignment restrictions?
2. Are there armor restrictions or requirements?
3. Is 0 magic a requirement of the build?

AnimeTheCat
2018-11-16, 02:39 PM
Maybe you could put the homebrew label on these threads? You are asking for help with a homebrew class, right? Is this another homebrew race?

And are these options available to your players? Because, if not, then i think it's off balance.

It seems as if; you could have EVERYTHING (almost) you want without breaking the rules, or everything you want BY making up rules, ...

*but you want to do both ... and want help 'cheating by the rules' that are left over. ?

Sorry to be blunt, but i think you should ask for help with ...

1. Are there alignment restrictions?
2. Are there armor restrictions or requirements?
3. Is 0 magic a requirement of the build?

It's just a feat rogue with full BAB... not exactly crazy or homebrew. IIRC from a previous post, this was a drow with the level adjustment replaced with RHD. Also, judging by the previous post, this individual is the DM, who is well within their rights to concoct something, and then ask for assistance adding preexisting things to it.

OP, last post had battleaxe, but if you're using combat expertise, try taking a look at the broad blade short sword. Use that with deadly defence for a pinch of extra damage. Last, try looking at the skill tricks from complete scoundrel. Specifically, I find the movement ones to be fairly useful to most characters.

For other feats, maybe look in to building in to the defensive throw feat. Requires improved unarmed strike, combat reflexes, improved trip and dodge, but could be fun with an attack of opportunity type character. For that matter, the combat form feat Combat Defense can be pretty helpful, allowing you to change the target of your dodge feat as an immediate action. Or, if you are the DM, you could just houserule that dodge is just a flat +1 dodge bonus to AC, no enemy designation required.

bean illus
2018-11-16, 03:52 PM
It's just a feat rogue with full BAB... not exactly crazy or homebrew. IIRC from a previous post, this was a drow with the level adjustment replaced with RHD. Also, judging by the previous post, this individual is the DM, who is well within their rights to concoct something, and then ask for assistance adding preexisting things to it.

That's your opinion. My opinion is it "could" be labeled homebrew. And that it's bad game theory, which could easily be interpreted by players as unfair if it's unavailable to them.

You'll notice that i both; gave my best advice, and then offered valid questions as to how i might help with what i thought was a bad idea.

I forgot to ask ... are we still working with the one-handed-and-light, finesseable 'battle axe'? 'Cause it will affect feat choice.

Telonius
2018-11-16, 04:25 PM
In general, attacks of opportunity work best if you have the Combat Reflexes feat and sufficient Dex to support it. If an individual character does more than one thing that would provoke an attack of opportunity in a single round (for example, moves through a threatened square, then casts a spell while he's still in reach) you could take an attack of opportunity each time they provoke.

If you're looking to get more than one attack per attack of opportunity, you would need the Double Hit feat from Miniatures Handbook, but that only works while two weapon fighting. There are also a couple of feats from Dragon 340 (Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes), but those might not be on the table for allowed sources.

AnimeTheCat
2018-11-16, 04:31 PM
That's your opinion. My opinion is it "could" be labeled homebrew. And that it's bad game theory, which could easily be interpreted by players as unfair if it's unavailable to them.

I'm a derp... I read could as should and that changed the whole tone from inquisitive (as it was) to authoritative (which it clearly wasnt). My bad.

As for about the players getting the same treatment, I try to give the people posting for dm help the benefit of the doubt. I figure that if they're asking a community that thrives on player capability and equality, they arent likely to go off the rails saying they get freebies and the player gets nothing. Just my opinion on that one.

Sorry about misreading then misunderstanding you.

Malapterus
2018-11-16, 05:28 PM
In regards to the battleaxe, it was never light, and since it's on par with a rapier I was willing to make it finessable if required for the build.

The full BaB comes from a magic item that I would not be upset if my players got their hands on.

It's a high-magic setting and both parties have wealthy sponsors.

Charcter is chaotic evil.

Probably restricted to light armor since he is technically a rogue, though there is a feat I was looking at that requires proficiency with heavy armor.

bean illus
2018-11-16, 05:30 PM
Sorry about misreading then misunderstanding you.
It happens. Thanks

bean illus
2018-11-16, 06:07 PM
In regards to the battleaxe, it was never light, and since it's on par with a rapier I was willing to make it finessable if required for the build.

The full BaB comes from a magic item. ... It's a high-magic setting ...

Charcter is chaotic evil.

Probably restricted to light armor since he is technically a rogue ...

A finesseable battle axe is called a handaxe, which is on par with rapier.

1. Are there alignment restrictions? CE
2. Armor restrictions or requirements? No
3. Is 0 magic a requirement?
4. Is the weapon finesseable? Handaxe
5. Are flaws allowed?
6. 32 point buy?

* So, you just want a martial rogue. Then you can give them a +attack item, custom weapon, and custom race.

1. Ff-
2. Ff-
4. Ff-
6. Ff-
8. Ff-

That's 4 open and 5 fighter feats. You want einhander, blindsense, and combat reflexes.

You have 6 feats open. Do you plan dex, str, or what? Ditch the handaxe and go power attack?