PDA

View Full Version : Spawn

AOKost
2018-11-16, 02:07 PM
I was wondering, how many items it would take to make Spawn. This is only taken from my knowledge of the Spawn movie. Everyone is welcome to add their own critiquest. It should be obvious at this stage that it's just a basic idea, and I haven't even gotten to fleshing it out further (no pun intended).

Basic thoughts when I was thinking about it:

Cape: Flying & Stealth/Invisibility

Armor: Some form of DR and maybe Fast Healing? New Special Material: Necrodermus (Needs stats, maybe what provides Fast Healing)

Belt: Unique belt, provides 'chain mastery' over the chains on the belt giving said chains special properties.

rferries
2018-11-19, 06:00 PM
Now this is cool! Some thoughts

1) Although it would be easiest to balance it as a class or chain of feats, it probably works best flavour-wise as a template that gives scaling benefits (a la half-fiend). As the templated PC's character level increases, they might unlock additional powers (though at a slower rate than in the film). Then again, maybe a prestige class where a special prerequisite is having died while Evil?

2) Should grant the undead type, as each Spawn has been raised from Hell.

3) Should also grant the power to fire energy blasts (negative energy? force damage?), as he does at the end of the film.

4) In the comics and animated series he had some additional powers - the ability to disguise himself, to heal others, etc. There's probably a wiki list of all his powers somewhere... though I understand if you'd rather keep it simple.

5) Also from the comics, he had a limited supply of energy to fuel his powers, which he could replenish by getting 'gifts' from vermin and other dark creatures.

AOKost
2018-11-23, 06:44 AM
That makes a lot of sense, all of your suggestions... I was trying to keep it as simple as possible, but all those sound like great 'prerequisites'!

I like the idea that all the equipment is cursed with some form of 'greater curse' that prevents it's removal.

Rferries, you're very good at classes and prestige classes in my personal opinion, as well as equipment, so if you have the time and inclination, I'd love to hear your further thoughts!

rferries
2018-11-24, 03:02 AM
That makes a lot of sense, all of your suggestions... I was trying to keep it as simple as possible, but all those sound like great 'prerequisites'!

I like the idea that all the equipment is cursed with some form of 'greater curse' that prevents it's removal.

Rferries, you're very good at classes and prestige classes in my personal opinion, as well as equipment, so if you have the time and inclination, I'd love to hear your further thoughts!

Hmmm cursed equipment is another possible mechanic that I hadn't considered, but it makes sense - the cape could be an equivalent cloak of the bat or wings of flying, for example. I'll have a think.

rferries
2018-11-24, 03:10 AM
Actually I think flavour-wise it makes sense as both a template (turning the PC into an undead creature) and a prestige class (through which the PC unlocks the higher powers of the template). I did something similar for the Slayer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?539231-Slayer-(-BtVS-feat-template-and-class-LA-0-but-at-a-price)) feat/template/prestige class (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer). However that's obviously fairly complicated.

What power level were you thinking? A template can afford to slap on a bunch of powers (and level adjustment), whereas a class spaces the power over multiple levels.

rferries
2018-11-24, 03:16 AM
Triple post: I'm an idiot for not noticing your thread was specifically about items haha. Forget everything I've just said.

Cape - flight, ability to form protective shell

Belt - chains that can be used for climbing and as whips/grapple attempts, as either primary or secondary natural attacks. 2+ chains (dependent on level?)

Mask - fires beams from eyes, same as fists

Fists - energy beams, can sprout spikes a la spiked gauntlets or claw attacks

General - superhuman strength, regeneration, natural armour, can adapt against specific energy types, can "cloak" (invisibility/Hide bonus) too I think?

AOKost
2018-11-27, 12:17 AM
Triple post: I'm an idiot for not noticing your thread was specifically about items haha. Forget everything I've just said.

Cape - flight, ability to form protective shell

Belt - chains that can be used for climbing and as whips/grapple attempts, as either primary or secondary natural attacks. 2+ chains (dependent on level?)

Mask - fires beams from eyes, same as fists

Fists - energy beams, can sprout spikes a la spiked gauntlets or claw attacks

General - superhuman strength, regeneration, natural armor, can adapt against specific energy types, can "cloak" (invisibility/Hide bonus) too I think?

Building on this:

Cape - Cursed (Soulbound) The Item can not be removed without the partial destruction of the beings very soul, and if successfully removed by anyone other than the Spawns Patron, ceases to exist all together. The cape allows the character to fly at a speed and maneuverability dependent upon the characters Level The Flight multiplier increases from base of characters land speed and then increases by a multiplier every 4 levels and likewise, the Maneuverability increases from Poor, to perfect over the course of each increase. Necrodermal Wall: The cape can create a temporary barrier around the Spawn's space, with Hardness equal to the Spawns Level and HP equal to 2x Hardness, usable once per three character levels.

Belt - Cursed (Soulbound) The Item can not be removed without the partial destruction of the beings very soul, and if successfully removed by anyone other than the Spawns Patron, ceases to exist all together. The Belt allows the Spawn to produce a number of (spiked) chains equal to 1/5(?) the characters level/BAB and can extend them 5 ft per 2 character levels. These (spiked) chains can be used exactly like a normal Spiked Chain in Combat. At 8th level / BAB the Spawn may use them to perform a Grapple check without hindering his hands. Each chain used in the Grapple check increases the opposed DC by 2. At 12th level/BAB Spawn may use the chains as if he had Improved Grapple. The chains have Hardness equal to the Spawns Level and HP equal to 2x it's Hardness.

Armor - Cursed (Soulbound) The Item can not be removed without the partial destruction of the beings very soul, and if successfully removed by anyone other than the Spawns Patron, ceases to exist all together. Spawns armor helps him heal more quickly, gaining Fast Healing 1/4 levels.

Gauntlets - Cursed (Soulbound) The Item can not be removed without the partial destruction of the beings very soul, and if successfully removed by anyone other than the Spawns Patron, ceases to exist all together. These magically enhanced bladed gauntlets can produce a blade that deals 1d6 18 - 20 x2. They can also produce a bolt of energy that deals 1d6 damage / 2 levels.

rferries
2018-11-28, 02:17 AM
Looks good!