PDA

View Full Version : Monk: Oracle

stoutstien
2018-11-16, 04:24 PM
I wanted to make a unarmored cleric that fitted the theme of the priest that had precognition. Monk already have a lot of the features i liked so I reworked it into a new support focused monastic tradition.

The Oracle

Flow of Karma

At third level you have learned how to slightly alter the outcome of events.

You are now proficient in one of the following skills: insight or perception.

You learn the guidance cantrip.

You can replicate the effects of certain spells and spend two ki to cast them as an action:
Aid
Bless
Find trap

Anytime you cast one of the spells with this feature you can use patient defence without costing Ki.

Flow of Fate
At third level You can cast Augury as an action without providing spell components. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier. You regain uses after a long rest.

Harmony of Destiny
Once you reach the 6th level in this class, you can spend additional ki points to increase the level of an spell that you cast. The spell’s level increases by 1 for each additional ki point you spend.

The maximum number of ki points you can spend to cast a spell in this way (including its base ki point cost and any additional ki points you spend to increase its level) is determined by your monk level, as shown in the table below

Monk Levels Maximum Ki Points for a Spell
6th-8th 3
9th-12th 4
13th-16th 5
17th-20th 8
Also when you cast a spell from the flow of Karma feature the target gets the benefits of the heroism spell for a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier.

Hands of Sorrow
11th level
Once per short rest you can rewind the effects of time to reverse the effects of death. As an action you can touch a fallen creature and cast revivify without providing spell components. During the same action the monk can spend any number of hit dies they have remaining to heal the target.

Eyes of kismet
You are under the effects of Foresight as long as the monk is conscience.

Any major issues i missed?

JNAProductions
2018-11-16, 07:20 PM
Giving foresight is way too good.

Rest looks okay, I guess.

Icecaster
2018-11-17, 11:00 AM
First off, I love the theme of the subclass. Very cool and thematic. However, there are a couple (easily fixable) issues. First, the subclass looks a little front ended. You get a lot at 3rd level.
Choice of common skills? Great. Guidance? One of the best cantrips in the game, great. Replicating solid buff spells from cleric? Good (Cost at the level when you get it keeps it below great, which is a good thing). Patient defense for free with a spell? Great. Augury for free with a tenth of the normal casting time Wis mod number of times per rest? Really great. Then we move on to 6th level, where you can upcast your spells once.

All of the features are thematic and I like them being given to the subclass, but I think they should be spread out. A little restructuring to keep the progression going would do some good. I would take the patient defense for free away from 3rd level and add it to 6th, while allowing extra ki points to be spent at higher levels being a part of the spell feature at 3rd. Spreading it out just that much more would be a solid start, and it would make 6th level feel more useful.

Hands of Sorrow looks pretty good. Revivify for free is borderline op, but allowing usage of hit dice drains the character, so it balances out a bit more. I might add in a ki point cost (not much, maybe 2 or 3), just to keep it more firmly in its place as balanced and make it more of a choice to use.

Eyes of Kismet just needs to be toned down, like, a lot. All the time is too much, even for 17+. I like the idea of foresight, though, so what if you could use your action to put yourself under the effect of foresight for the next minute, regain the use of it on a short or long rest. Foresight should feel like a nova ability, given it grants advantage on the three main rolls 5e is built off of and imposes disadvantage on the most common roll made to hurt your character. I like the idea of not being able to be surprised ever, though, and I don't think it'd be too much to keep that as part of the feature.

Overall, I really like the cinematic value of it, and the features are thematic, so kudos. A dash of restructuring and a pinch of toning down will put this in a great place for play. Very nice work, a pleasure to read.

stoutstien
2018-11-17, 02:08 PM
First off, I love the theme of the subclass. Very cool and thematic. However, there are a couple (easily fixable) issues. First, the subclass looks a little front ended. You get a lot at 3rd level.
Choice of common skills? Great. Guidance? One of the best cantrips in the game, great. Replicating solid buff spells from cleric? Good (Cost at the level when you get it keeps it below great, which is a good thing). Patient defense for free with a spell? Great. Augury for free with a tenth of the normal casting time Wis mod number of times per rest? Really great. Then we move on to 6th level, where you can upcast your spells once.

All of the features are thematic and I like them being given to the subclass, but I think they should be spread out. A little restructuring to keep the progression going would do some good. I would take the patient defense for free away from 3rd level and add it to 6th, while allowing extra ki points to be spent at higher levels being a part of the spell feature at 3rd. Spreading it out just that much more would be a solid start, and it would make 6th level feel more useful.

Hands of Sorrow looks pretty good. Revivify for free is borderline op, but allowing usage of hit dice drains the character, so it balances out a bit more. I might add in a ki point cost (not much, maybe 2 or 3), just to keep it more firmly in its place as balanced and make it more of a choice to use.

Eyes of Kismet just needs to be toned down, like, a lot. All the time is too much, even for 17+. I like the idea of foresight, though, so what if you could use your action to put yourself under the effect of foresight for the next minute, regain the use of it on a short or long rest. Foresight should feel like a nova ability, given it grants advantage on the three main rolls 5e is built off of and imposes disadvantage on the most common roll made to hurt your character. I like the idea of not being able to be surprised ever, though, and I don't think it'd be too much to keep that as part of the feature.

Overall, I really like the cinematic value of it, and the features are thematic, so kudos. A dash of restructuring and a pinch of toning down will put this in a great place for play. Very nice work, a pleasure to read.

I like that alot actually. I know I had to shift stuff around but couldn't see it. Switching spell up casting and "free" patient defence is a great idea.
Thinking lv 17 is now:
You have advantage on initiative rolls and can not be surprised as long as you are awake.
you can focus you ablity for precondition. As an action you gain the effects of Foresight for one minute. This ablity cannot be used again intil after a s/l rest