PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played a class with Only Ability Score Incereses?

brenilla1919
2018-11-16, 08:53 PM
So my people were just talking on ability score increses/feats.
And this question came up.
a class with Only Ability Score Incereses
so i was wondering has anyone has done this or wht you would do with this.

OvisCaedo
2018-11-16, 08:57 PM
Well, you'd never have extra attack, or real spellcasting. I guess you'd have to try and build entirely around feats. So I'd imagine you'd either have to lean for sharpshooter/crossbow expert, heavy weapon polearm master, or a melee cantrip. I cannot imagine the end result being very appealing compared to class features even with a bunch of capped stats and feats, though.

JNAProductions
2018-11-16, 09:00 PM
Do you just get the usual amount, or do you get extra?

brenilla1919
2018-11-16, 09:01 PM
Every lvl is a an ability score improvement.

ImproperJustice
2018-11-16, 09:37 PM
Kinda like playing the old True 20 system where you build your own class.

Thoughts: lack of extra attack and spellcasting pushes such a build to a skill monkey / rogue type.

Assuming an 11th level build, I would go with something like:
Pump two, maybe three stats (Int, Dex, and Charisma).
Grab Ritual Caster
Grab Magic Initiate (Warlock for EB and GFB)
Grab Healer
Grab Skilled (Grab some good Tool Prof)
Grab Skulker and / or alert.
Grab a Good Racial Feat
Actor is solid too.

And just be that utility guy.

Reth
2018-11-16, 10:17 PM
Kinda like playing the old True 20 system where you build your own class.

Thoughts: lack of extra attack and spellcasting pushes such a build to a skill monkey / rogue type.

Assuming an 11th level build, I would go with something like:
Pump two, maybe three stats (Int, Dex, and Charisma).
Grab Ritual Caster
Grab Magic Initiate (Warlock for EB and GFB)
Grab Healer
Grab Skilled (Grab some good Tool Prof)
Grab Skulker and / or alert.
Grab a Good Racial Feat
Actor is solid too.

And just be that utility guy.

If you could take some feats more then once and racial feats that didn't rely on physiology of the race, you could be a really great skills guy. Get the human racial feat Prodigy a few times times for the expertise bonus to investigation and perception, get Observant on top of that and never let anything slip past you again. You can also pick up ritual caster and magic initiate and do some fun stuff that way. Taking magic initiate opens up warcaster and spell sniper for you as well.

OldTrees1
2018-11-16, 10:46 PM
Half Elf
Skills: Skilled, Prodigy
Ranged: Magic Initiate (Eldritch Blast), Cha 20, Inspiring Leader, Healer
Melee: Magic Initiate (GreenFlameBlade XOR BoomingBlade), Warcaster, Polearm Mastery, Spellsniper, Sentinel, Str/Dex increases
Defense: Resilient(Con, Dex, or Wis), Con 20
Utility: Magic Initiate (Find Familiar)

The Jack
2018-11-16, 11:45 PM
So you don't start with any proficiency or skills?

Well, you gotta take magic initiate and a blasting cantrip since weapons are going to suck, although taking proficiency with polearms and mastery of polearms isn't so bad. Eldritch blast is going to be your ticket.

Early game, you're going to be very reliant on what race you picked. Human and Variant human are actually going to be the worst options; you want something like mountain dwarf or githyanki, something which gives you a lot of features rather than the stats you want.

1- magic initiate or spell sniper, EB ideally. Spell sniper for EB is probably the wiser choice since each feat can only be taken once, which is silly but....
2- you'll want armour, or skilled. Skilled will make you cry because you can't take it twice and UA stuff is evil.
3-Armour, skilled, Resilient
4+ resilient or just more AS
At some point, ritual caster.

The good news is that you'll have +5's in nearly everything before level 12.

I'd start with trying to get EB running with at least medium armour and a shield.