PDA

View Full Version : Newt Scamander and his Niffler

Xaryo
2018-11-17, 12:56 AM
i just came back from the theatre, and OMG Newt Scamander is so cool and his niffler so cute.

if i had to build a character like him, probably a base of shepard druid could do the job, but what else. how should build him?
what could be a niffler?

my DM are usually very permissive on cool stuff.

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-17, 01:12 AM
I would recommend shepard. Grab magic initiate wizard to get find familiar(and prestidigitation for cleaning up scat).

Vogie
2018-11-18, 11:34 PM
For a character who acts like a Tranquility Monk with the core identity of a Seeker Warlock most of the time, I'd actually say start with Arcane Trickster 3 / Conjuration Wizard 2+

That allows him to manipulate things at range (both with his wand and his pet Bowtruckle, Pickett) and conjure up things at-will. Give him a Rod Briefcase of Security, and go to town.

For the Niffler itself, I like this build from a blog (https://trulyoutofcharacter.wordpress.com/2017/01/08/the-niffler/comment-page-1/):

Niffler
Small beast, neutral good
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 4 (1d4+2)
Speed 20 ft., burrow 30 ft.
Str 6 Dex 14 Con 10 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 10
Skills Stealth +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages: Understands Common, Goblin, & Dwarven, but can’t speak.
Challenge ¼ (50 XP)

Treasure Hunters- The niffler has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks to spot shiny objects and treasures.
Overstuffed- When the niffler takes damage a number of valuables fall out of its pouch. Consult the table below to roll for what it drops.
Expansive Pouch- The niffler’s pouch is voluminous and can hold a surprising amount of stolen goods which the creatures will attempt to bring back to their nests. These pouches are able to contain up to 25 pounds of material taking up 3 feet by 3 feet’s worth of space.
Tunneler- The niffler can burrow through dirt at half its burrow speed and leafs a 1-foot-diameter tunnel in its wake.
You Find Them Down Mines, Mostly- Owing to their darkly colored bodies niffler’s are adept at hiding in dark tunnels, mines, and other such places. Niiffler’s have advantage on stealth checks made in darkness or low-light.

Actions
Snatch. Melee Weapon Attack. +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: On a hit the niffler steals one item the target is holding, usually the shiniest thing in sight.
Scratch. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Niffler Treasure - Roll 1d10

Between 8 and 12 gold coins spill out of the niffler’s pouch rolling in all directions.
3 gems worth 500 gold pieces each fall out of the niffler’s pouch.
A solid gold bar falls out of the niffler’s pouch with a loud clatter. Any creature within 35 ft.with a passive Perception of 10 or higher will hear the noise.
Several very shiny but worthless buttons roll out of the niffler’s pouch.
An animated golden bust of a very tired looking wizards falls out of the niffler’s pouch with a loud bang. The bust begins shouting at the niffler and anyone else it sees.
A tiara and several small rings worth 25 gold each fall out of the niffler’s pouch.
An gaudy necklace worth 1,000 gp spills partway out of the niffler’s pouch, seeing this the little creature stop and tries to stuff the necklace back into its pouch.
1d12 of silver coins fall out of the niffler’s pouch rolling in all directions.
A crystal ball falls out the niffler’s pouch, unless caught it hits the ground and shatters.
A set of small silver salt and pepper shakers made in the likeness of swans fall out of the niffler’s pouch and take flight.