PDA

View Full Version : Need help with boss mob

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-19, 09:55 PM
The set-up:
Players have recently gained entrance to the goblin chiefs' area in the dungeon, and have come across a door guarded by two zombies (straight from the book human zombies).

They are level 4, have good stats, and items of WBL, if not a bit higher. The wizard has 20 int, but only 13 dex (touch attacks aren't terrific). Wizard is also new to the system, though an insanely bright econ major, who has the perfect personality archetype to be playing wizard. In a few more sessions, he will get the hang of it.

The fighter is decently played, good stats, well rounded, good feat selection. Accompanied by two dwarf NPCs, a fighter and a cleric. May replace both with a PC rogue. Should be level 4, with a solid amount of loot, when they get to this door. If it's only 3 pcs, then they will be level 5.

Most likely, it will be 2 level 4 PCs (wizard&fighter), and the two dwarf NPCs. The dwarfs can die, they need to for story reasons, and so the fighter can use their gear.

Behind the door is a level 5 goblin NPC, elite array, old age, on a Worg. The worg is identical to the one in the MM. While the party fights the zombies, then attempts to get through the door (locked, DC 20, arcane locked, sturdy wooden), the goblin adept will 'summon' 2 fiendish monkeys, another 2 fiendish monkeys, followed by a half-fiend monkey. He isn't actually using a by-the-books summoning spell; he's a demonologist summoning his helpers, ie, more flavor for the boss mob and whatnot. This will take 3 rounds.

The adept is played adeptly- he will have a host of control spells prepared, as well as scrolls of invis and mirror image prepared. If the PCs don't take down the door by the time his summoning completes, he will self buff (chaotic evils tend to do that) with a pot of owl's wisdom, blur, and mirror image, followed by buffing his mount, and blessing the horde of demons.

When the PCs come through the door, he will web them, sleep them, and command anything that breaks through that. If they manage to close, his worg will make trip attempts, and he will respond with a spell/attack.

The Worg won't do anything but carry him, the demons, while they won't attack him, may hinder each other, or do nothing.

Now; is this too well played? He only gets 3 level 0 spells, 4 level 1, and 3 level 2 spells (or maybe 2, I forget).

The room will also contain treasure; some of which I'd like to have him use. Of course, he can't use the arcane scrolls, which the wizard will like, and it makes sense that he's holding the scrolls for study, but won't actually hit the party with them (since he can't).

However, he has a wand of ghoul touch, which I would like to make a large wand, so he could carry it like a staff. This, of course, breaks the rules of divine/arcane magic, and since that wand was one of the higher level items in there, I'd like it be useful to one of the PCs rather than the NPCs. Ghoul touch also isn't on the adept's spell list.

Regardless, I'd like to have the adpet carry a staff-sized wand and a dagger, to give him a vaguely carver shaman appearance from Diablo 2. What would be a good spell to put on that wand?

daggaz
2007-09-19, 11:23 PM
Ghoul touch will overpower this fight, otherwise it sounds challenging but not impossible for a smart group, which is how it should be for a boss fight.

But yeah, with a ghoul touch wand (Im assuming a ranged touch attack here for what is normally a touch spell, yeah?---its six am here btw), you have the bad problem of paralysing your guys. Paralysis = CDG, especially when there is a swarm of demons who, for all I can see, probably wouldnt stop attacking some guy just because he got frozen. Paralysis is especially hard on such a low level group, as the cleric, if he has prepared the remove spell, will quickly run out of them.

Even if your monkeys dont CDG, its still a few rounds of paralysis which = death for low level characters.. and you are applying a melee attack spell, thru ranged touch now. Definitely overpowered.

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-20, 10:26 AM
Ghoul touch will overpower this fight, otherwise it sounds challenging but not impossible for a smart group, which is how it should be for a boss fight.

But yeah, with a ghoul touch wand (Im assuming a ranged touch attack here for what is normally a touch spell, yeah?---its six am here btw), you have the bad problem of paralysing your guys. Paralysis = CDG, especially when there is a swarm of demons who, for all I can see, probably wouldnt stop attacking some guy just because he got frozen. Paralysis is especially hard on such a low level group, as the cleric, if he has prepared the remove spell, will quickly run out of them.

Even if your monkeys dont CDG, its still a few rounds of paralysis which = death for low level characters.. and you are applying a melee attack spell, thru ranged touch now. Definitely overpowered.

Um, a wand of ghoul touch would work exactly like casting the spell- you touch the guy. Also note that, since it's a touch spell, he can't wield his dagger or control his mount (well) while holding the wand and charge at the same time.

A CDG is different than a simple attack. The fiends may be too distracted than to do little more than bite or claw at the paralyzed character, squabble over him, take his stuff. I'd play the monkeys such that any who took a full round to CDG a paralyzed guy would take a round of attacks of opportunity from his fellows.

Runolfr
2007-09-20, 10:55 AM
However, he has a wand of ghoul touch, which I would like to make a large wand, so he could carry it like a staff. This, of course, breaks the rules of divine/arcane magic, and since that wand was one of the higher level items in there, I'd like it be useful to one of the PCs rather than the NPCs. Ghoul touch also isn't on the adept's spell list.

Regardless, I'd like to have the adpet carry a staff-sized wand and a dagger, to give him a vaguely carver shaman appearance from Diablo 2. What would be a good spell to put on that wand?

Since ghoul touch isn't on your BBEG's spell list, he'll have to succeed on Use Magic Device skill checks to make it work. UMD is not a class skill for Adepts, so he can't have more than 4 ranks in it. Even with a +4 Cha bonus (which is unlikely for an Adept), he would need to roll a 12 to succeed on the DC 20 skill check to properly activate a wand. Since it will work for him less than half the time, I doubt it will be much of a balance-breaker.

As an alternative, scorching ray is a 2nd-level spell on both the Adept and Wizard spell lists. Cause fear (level 1) would also be a good candidate, if you'd rather give your PC something less powerful.

Runolfr
2007-09-20, 10:58 AM
But yeah, with a ghoul touch wand (Im assuming a ranged touch attack here for what is normally a touch spell, yeah?---its six am here btw), you have the bad problem of paralysing your guys.

Ghoul touch remains a touch spell, even if stored in a wand, unless a feat is applied at crafting time that turns touch attacks into ranged touch attacks. This means that the BBEG would at least have to expose himself to counter-attacks in order to use it, something he probably wouldn't do if he still had minions to keep his enemies away from him.

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-20, 11:06 AM
Since ghoul touch isn't on your BBEG's spell list, he'll have to succeed on Use Magic Device skill checks to make it work. UMD is not a class skill for Adepts, so he can't have more than 4 ranks in it. Even with a +4 Cha bonus (which is unlikely for an Adept), he would need to roll a 12 to succeed on the DC 20 skill check to properly activate a wand. Since it will work for him less than half the time, I doubt it will be much of a balance-breaker.

As an alternative, scorching ray is a 2nd-level spell on both the Adept and Wizard spell lists. Cause fear (level 1) would also be a good candidate, if you'd rather give your PC something less powerful.

Those spells are too good. I don't want him to be able to do, after slinging control spells, anything more dangerous than crossbow bolts. I'm not worried about my PCs getting anything too useful, but my NPC turning them all to ash while their sleeping/feared/trapped in spider webs.

Btw, for daggaz, who's worried about CDGs- sleep could knock out half the party, which means CDG for sure, while a ghoul touch would only affect one at a time, and those who it hit would have a high fort save.

Runolfr
2007-09-20, 11:24 AM
Those spells are too good. I don't want him to be able to do, after slinging control spells, anything more dangerous than crossbow bolts. I'm not worried about my PCs getting anything too useful, but my NPC turning them all to ash while their sleeping/feared/trapped in spider webs.

Bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, and cat’s grace are all on the Adept list, and they would be appropriate for a villain that likes to work through minions.

You could also have a wand of burning hands, which your BBEG might be reluctant to use on webbed foes, since it would set them free if it failed to kill them.