PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ostrich Aaracokra

zinycor
2018-11-17, 09:49 AM
Hi guys! One of my players is thinking about this as an option, since He wuld be losing flight, What would be a cool thing for this subrace? Is there anything oficial? Do you already have a homebrew for this?

Icecaster
2018-11-17, 10:25 AM
Well, straight off the bat, ostriches are pretty fast runners, but aaracockra have a walking speed of 25 feet. You could bump that up to 35 since they lose a whole 50 feet. Besides that, though it still feels pretty weak.
You could add some bonus against hot climates since ostriches are native to Africa.
You could add some short term bonus against difficult terrain from their long legs? Maybe you can ignore nonmagical difficult terrain when taking the Dash action, which would give an incentive to run, as ostriches tend to do.
You could add a +1 bonus to Con due to the desert home, and if you're really feeling the desert theme, maybe add in a cantrip like mold earth or gust, or a spell like create or destroy water once per day

zinycor
2018-11-17, 10:36 AM
Well, straight off the bat, ostriches are pretty fast runners, but aaracockra have a walking speed of 25 feet. You could bump that up to 35 since they lose a whole 50 feet. Besides that, though it still feels pretty weak.
You could add some bonus against hot climates since ostriches are native to Africa.
You could add some short term bonus against difficult terrain from their long legs? Maybe you can ignore nonmagical difficult terrain when taking the Dash action, which would give an incentive to run, as ostriches tend to do.
You could add a +1 bonus to Con due to the desert home, and if you're really feeling the desert theme, maybe add in a cantrip like mold earth or gust, or a spell like create or destroy water once per day

Thanks man.

Bumpig the walking speed is a given and really like the idea of having them ignore difficult terrain if dashing.

Since the campaign will have spells like create water banned I like the idea of giving them some heat resistance.

theVoidWatches
2018-11-17, 11:05 AM
I would definitely bump their speed up to 35. I also suggest giving them the same long-limbed ability that bugbears get, to represent their massive height. After that, maybe let them dash as a bonus action once per short rest?

TheYell
2018-11-17, 11:08 AM
They don't wear leather and they don't trust people who do.

zinycor
2018-11-17, 11:31 AM
I would definitely bump their speed up to 35. I also suggest giving them the same long-limbed ability that bugbears get, to represent their massive height. After that, maybe let them dash as a bonus action once per short rest?

Long-limbed ability seems cool.

So far I got

Noi (Ostrich Aaracokra)

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Size. Between 6 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 200 and 300 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Alignment. Most Noi are very territorial and don't like to be told what they can or can't do, therefore they tend towards chaotic alignments.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet.
Fast runner. You are able to use the Dash Action as a Bonus Action.
Talons. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on a hit.
Great Dancer. You add your proficiency bonus to Performance Skill Checks when dancing. If already Proficient double your bonus.
Language. You can speak, read, and write Common, Aarakocra, and Auran.

EDIT: changed it so instead of long limbs, now can use the Dash Action as a Bonus Action.... might be too overpowered, would a a few times per short/long rest be better? Changed Base speed to 40 feet, removed powerful build, removed the plumage bit, added Great dancer.

JNAProductions
2018-11-17, 12:07 PM
Looks fine to me.

Has very little to do with Aaracokras, but the balance seems good.

zinycor
2018-11-17, 12:16 PM
Looks fine to me.

Has very little to do with Aaracokras, but the balance seems good.

Should I add something like an oath or a curse that makes it so they are bound to the ground as fierce warriors in the name of the elemental air?

JNAProductions
2018-11-17, 12:19 PM
Should I add something like an oath or a curse that makes it so they are bound to the ground as fierce warriors in the name of the elemental air?

That'd be fine fluff, but I wouldn't tie mechanics to it.

Maybe something like...

Earthbound
The [RACE NAME] have sworn, one and all, an oath to defend the ground as fiercely as their flighted brethren defend the air. As such, flying in any form feels quite unnatural to them, and those who lack experience with it oftentimes fall ill taking to the skies.

For untrained [RACE NAME]s, they must make a DC 10 Constitution save if they fly, and suffer from the Poisoned condition for one minute if they fail. At the end of the minute, they may repeat their save, ending the effect on a success, but suffering for another minute if they fail. Trained warriors and other experienced [RACE NAME]s, such as adventurers, are made of sterner stuff, and so do not have to make this save.

zinycor
2018-11-17, 12:27 PM
Could be, but I like the idea of they just not being able to fly, regardless of their training.

I like to think that Aaracokra could be inspired on any bird.