PDA

View Full Version : Druid 4/Monk 1 Tank

EoNhOeKnOwS
2018-11-17, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone this is my first 5e campaign I’m playing and it is strange.

I’ve made a Moon druid and took monk 1 for the wisdom ac bonus and I realized after like a month that I get an extra attack (I use 2H quarter staff) while doing some Shillelagh power.

I’ve decided, after my last battle, that I’m more effective in non wild shape form

My AC is 17 (+5 wis, +2 dex) and I use my wis for attack/dmg. If I wild shape, my highest ac is 16 with Barkskin, I’ve only wild shaped into a giant octopus and a brown bear (Jesus the bear is pretty awful, 10 ac from no dex, so I gotta waste a Barkskin spell plus my wisdom ac won’t stack with Barkskin).

I’ve searched a few melee Druid posts and essentially “Druid is a full caster so do that”.

Really, I’m eventually just going to be a fire elemental all day long but til I get there I think tank is the way to go
Any suggestions? I can’t wear a shield or armor because it would remove my wisdom ac bonus. Def get some dex items (really, how much would a +2 dex item cost?) is there a defensive fighting option? Is there a tanky wild shape I’m missing? I can only be CR1 creatures for a while lol

I’m not really sure what else I can do, I appreciate your comments!

hymer
2018-11-17, 10:17 AM
(Jesus the bear is pretty awful, 10 ac from no dex, so I gotta waste a Barkskin spell plus my wisdom ac won’t stack with Barkskin).
The bear should be AC 15 by the way you play. What you should keep in mind is that you will get hit. But you don't take damage. Not until your wild shape hp runs out do you start to take damage. You don't have to care about your wild shape hp at all. Being lost is what they're there for.

“Druid is a full caster so do that”.
There's a reason for this being said so often. All the more so when you get third level spells and can conjure minions. But I'll see if I can help you with what you're trying to do.

Really, I’m eventually just going to be a fire elemental all day long but til I get there I think tank is the way to go
Don't get too excited about that prospect...

I can’t wear a shield or armor because it would remove my wisdom ac bonus.
Don't rule it out entirely. With some simple armour, a shield, and +2 dex, you end up with AC 16. So if you find +1 armour or a +1 shield, you are already on par with your current AC. So keep an eye out for whatever magical items the group find. If they add up, they can make your AC better.
But Bracers of Defence would be the obvious way to boost your AC right now (by +2). Also cloaks and rings of protection (by +1 each).

Def get some dex items (really, how much would a +2 dex item cost?)
The game assumes you won't be buying most of your magical items, with potions of healing being the main exception. So this is all in your DM's court. There are very few items that increase dex, though, and for good reason. I think there's an Ioun Stone that can do it...

is there a defensive fighting option?
There is the Dodge action, if you don't know already. Used tactically, it can help a lot.

Is there a tanky wild shape I’m missing? I can only be CR1 creatures for a while lol
Giant hyena and dire wolf are pretty tanky for CR 1 forms.

I’m not really sure what else I can do, I appreciate your comments!
Well, I just happen to have written a guide on druids! :smallbiggrin: In my signature, if you're interested.

EoNhOeKnOwS
2018-11-17, 10:38 AM
Thank you so much lol the ac boosting items are a great idea - you say I can equip armor and shield and I get to be close to my current ac - but if I get those items my wisdom ac bonus will drop to 0 because of the description? So armor would not be helpful right? Aside from magic items giving ac. I figured it would be best to get Barkskin instead of just doing the 15 ac, every bit counts right? So essentially forms that give dex bonus so I can mix it with wisdom ac (I’ll def try the wolf and hyena!)

Also regarding wild shape - after I got knocked out of my bear form I went into cat form to gtfo and I didn’t realize -I keep the form’s hp- and not my own (so my own plus or minus con mod)? Poor cat got kicked by a skeleton horse and it only has 2 HP

My party died and I escaped with 4 hp, tho I was a tiny lizard so like my hp would be 1-2 til I revert back to humanoid form? (Which would be 4)

Thanks! 😁

I’ll go check your guide too!!1

hymer
2018-11-17, 11:31 AM
you say I can equip armor and shield and I get to be close to my current ac - but if I get those items my wisdom ac bonus will drop to 0 because of the description? So armor would not be helpful right? Aside from magic items giving ac.
Yes, what I was trying to get across is that a +1 shield and a +1 studded leather together is better than what you've got now. And those items both go up to +3. So any armour you can wear that gives you three or more points of AC is something to hold on to, as well as any magical shield. Even if you don't put them on straight away, odds are good you will in the future.

My party died and I escaped with 4 hp
I call that a win. Any fight you survive is a victory of sorts. :smallwink:

Skylivedk
2018-11-17, 02:53 PM
Thank you so much lol the ac boosting items are a great idea - you say I can equip armor and shield and I get to be close to my current ac - but if I get those items my wisdom ac bonus will drop to 0 because of the description? So armor would not be helpful right? Aside from magic items giving ac. I figured it would be best to get Barkskin instead of just doing the 15 ac, every bit counts right? So essentially forms that give dex bonus so I can mix it with wisdom ac (I’ll def try the wolf and hyena!)

Also regarding wild shape - after I got knocked out of my bear form I went into cat form to gtfo and I didn’t realize -I keep the form’s hp- and not my own (so my own plus or minus con mod)? Poor cat got kicked by a skeleton horse and it only has 2 HP

My party died and I escaped with 4 hp, tho I was a tiny lizard so like my hp would be 1-2 til I revert back to humanoid form? (Which would be 4)

Thanks! 😁

I’ll go check your guide too!!1

The wildshape hp is temporary hp ON TOP of your current hp. The bear is super super strong in the beginning. It can out damage a barbarian in the beginning. Remember it has two attacks! In general, read the special attacks. One of my players made a spreadsheet. It hasn't been updated since release... Still a big help:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mopxAX7L5K2SUG_qyNSNGnsLTh0_YpdWmjm4BUmdWSo/edit?usp=drivesdk