PDA

View Full Version : Ostrich Aaracokra

zinycor
2018-11-17, 10:05 AM
Hi guys! One of my players is thinking about this as an option, since He wuld be losing flight, What would be a cool thing for this subrace? Is there anything oficial? Do you already have a homebrew for this?

DarkKnightJin
2018-11-17, 11:54 AM
Easiest thing would be to give them either extra base movement speed, or Dash as a Bonus Action on their turn.

That's the simplest thing I can think of to give them instead of the flight speed.

JNAProductions
2018-11-17, 11:58 AM
Easiest thing would be to give them either extra base movement speed, or Dash as a Bonus Action on their turn.

That's the simplest thing I can think of to give them instead of the flight speed.

My thoughts exactly.

zinycor
2018-11-17, 12:00 PM
So far I have this:

Noi (Ostrich Aaracokra)

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Size. Between 6 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 200 and 300 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Alignment. Most Noi are very territorial and don't like to be told what they can or can't do, therefore they tend towards chaotic alignments.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet.
Fast runner. You are able to use the Dash Action as a Bonus Action.
Talons. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on a hit.
Great Dancer. You add your proficiency bonus to Performance Skill Checks when dancing. If already Proficient double your bonus.
Language. You can speak, read, and write Common, Aarakocra, and Auran.

EDIT: changed it so instead of long limbs, now can use the Dash Action as a Bonus Action.... might be too overpowered, would a a few times per short/long rest be better? Changed Base speed to 40 feet, removed powerful build, removed the plumage bit, added Great dancer.

DarkKnightJin
2018-11-18, 05:13 AM
No, that looks pretty good. Ostriches are known for being good runners, after all.

I thinj that's a good racial statblock to give to an 'ostrich Aarakocra'. Nice job!

Ganymede
2018-11-18, 09:02 AM
Hi guys! One of my players is thinking about this as an option, since He wuld be losing flight, What would be a cool thing for this subrace? Is there anything oficial? Do you already have a homebrew for this?

Yes.

Ostrich Arakokra use Kenku stats.

zinycor
2018-11-18, 11:27 AM
No, that looks pretty good. Ostriches are known for being good runners, after all.

I thinj that's a good racial statblock to give to an 'ostrich Aarakocra'. Nice job!

Thanks! Really appreciate it!

Yes.

Ostrich Arakokra use Kenku stats.

Aren't kenku all about deception and imitating sounds? Don't really see the connections to an ostrich.

Should I give it something good for outside of combat? Like performance to show they like to dance? Also I might remove powerful build, not sure it fits.

Besides that, thanks to everyone, am very happy with the race so far..

The Jack
2018-11-18, 01:33 PM
So far I have this:

Noi (Ostrich Aaracokra)

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Sttength score increases by 1.
Size. Between 6 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 200 and 300 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Alignment. Most Noi are very territorial and don't like to be told what they can or can't do, therefore they tend towards chaotic alignments.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Talons. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on a hit.
Insulating plumage.Your feathers protect you from the effects of hot climates.
Language. You can speak, read, and write Common, Aarakocra, and Auran.

EDIT: changed it so instead of long limbs, now can use the Dash Action as a Bonus Action.... might be too overpowered, would a a few times per short/long rest be better?

Bogan (Emu Aaracokra)

Ability Score Increase. Your Con score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.
Alignment. Most Bogans are Evil bastards, and don't like to be told what they can or can't do, they gravitate strongly towards chaotic evil.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift. Cool kids ride you to school.
Talons. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 12d20 slashing damage on a hit.
MenacingYour gain profeciency (and expertise) in the intimidate skill
Language. You can speak, read, and write Common, Aarakocra, and Abysal.

Jophiel
2018-11-18, 02:04 PM
I'd be more inclined to go +2 STR & +1 Dex or even +2 STR +1 CON as ostriches don't strike me as remarkably dexterous creatures. But if the player wants it as a one off for a Dex based class, why not.

zinycor
2018-11-18, 02:16 PM
I'd be more inclined to go +2 STR & +1 Dex or even +2 STR +1 CON as ostriches don't strike me as remarkably dexterous creatures. But if the player wants it as a one off for a Dex based class, why not.

Noted. Nice catch.

zinycor
2018-11-18, 02:18 PM
Bogan (Emu Aaracokra)

Ability Score Increase. Your Con score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.
Alignment. Most Bogans are Evil bastards, and don't like to be told what they can or can't do, they gravitate strongly towards chaotic evil.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift. Cool kids ride you to school.
Talons. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 12d20 slashing damage on a hit.

Love it. Now that it has an evil counterpart is pretty much the best.

Boci
2018-11-18, 02:22 PM
Bogan (Emu Aaracokra)

d20s genereally aren't used for damage, it should be 20d12. :smallbiggrin:

The Jack
2018-11-18, 02:24 PM
d20s genereally aren't used for damage, it should be 20d12. :smallbiggrin:

That's far less silly. I don't like it.

zinycor
2018-11-18, 02:48 PM
That's far less silly. I don't like it.

I don't know about that, someone having that many d12 is pretty silly

Boci
2018-11-18, 03:00 PM
I don't know about that, someone having that many d12 is pretty silly

Its just an average of 138 damage. A 20th level character can probably deal that much by investing numerous resources into it, so I don't see why its a problem that a 1st level character can do the same, at no oppotunity cost beyond race choice.

zinycor
2018-11-18, 04:30 PM
Its just an average of 138 damage. A 20th level character can probably deal that much by investing numerous resources into it, so I don't see why its a problem that a 1st level character can do the same, at no oppotunity cost beyond race choice.

It might need a buff

Finback
2018-11-18, 07:15 PM
Bogan (Emu Aaracokra)

Bwahahahaha. Should have advantage when fighting humans though ;)

Finback
2018-11-18, 07:17 PM
Love it. Now that it has an evil counterpart is pretty much the best.

Nah, emus should be the neutral, CASSOWARIES should be the evil version :)

(and, iunno, rheas and kiwis can be the fey)

Klaus Teufel
2018-11-19, 02:29 AM
Heck, you could have a Flightless Bird race called Ratites. And have Emu, Ostrich, Kiwi, and Cassowary subraces.