PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Necromancer Sorcerer

Sakumo1Uchiha
2018-11-17, 11:46 AM
So i am making a necromancer sorcerer right, but one that bucks the trend of cackling mage who wants to overthrow kingdom after kingdom with a massive undead army of monstrosities. I want to play one that goes the opposite way and helps people with this missunderstood art of magic. But I do not know a way to execute it right.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/af/5b/1d/af5b1daac1e0df73954f8549541c9beb.jpg

8wGremlin
2018-11-17, 01:26 PM
Divine Soul Sorcerer, and pick the cleric spells that help others.

look into:
Twin concentration spells
Twin healing spells.
Twin Life Transference
You can even resurrect and revive two people at the same time, for the cost of one of them!

Pick the spells that either has the necromancy tag or adds to your theme in some way.

Amano666
2018-11-17, 02:36 PM
Have you looked at Necromancy Wizard? It is really the class that is centered around undead minions. It is the class that lets you summon more and stronger undead. Sure Divine Soul Sorc will do it, so will Death Clerics, some of the Paladins too. But necro wiz is the only one that gives you built in advantages. Throw in some warlock for spell slots that recycle on short rest and now we are talking.

To RP the non-standard approach you are talking about, I always liked the Necromancer Judge. So lets say some bandits or something attack the town and kill a few folks, but they are caught and brought before the judge. Sure they can be sentenced to die for their dastardly deeds, but who is going to plow the field for that family missing their field plower? Who is going to man the walls all night like Fred used to do? Who is going to serve drinks at the inn now? Prisoners or slaves are distasteful and still draw resources from the town. Lets execute these fools and then I will raise em up and put them to work, as long as I cast my spells each day they are as tame as kittens and will repay their dept to society without needing food, water, sleep, or rest. Commit an executable offence, your body becomes property of the state.

Law can be a merciless alignment to really focus on, which provides some synergy with necromancy for sure. Just have to keep the masses convinced, good luck with that.

stoutstien
2018-11-17, 02:55 PM
A refluffed lore bard can do a dirge singer effect very well. Snipe crusader mantle and animate/create dead spells with magic secret picks.
Bonus points for using animate objects with bones. Ribs would be a cyclone of death.

Skylivedk
2018-11-17, 03:09 PM
I never thought I'd write this, but search for the sorcerer prince. Some dude was obsessed with this build. And as a FYI, at level five sorcerers are much much better at necromancy because you can cast so many animate dead pr day. In the end you can sustain a small army. In comparison the necromancer Wizard is meh

Unoriginal
2018-11-17, 03:14 PM
I never thought I'd write this, but search for the sorcerer prince. Some dude was obsessed with this build.

Don't do that. It's ineptly built by a troll who'd twist rules any way he can.

Teaguethebean
2018-11-17, 03:28 PM
Does the sorcerer get animate dead? I have my phb and it looks like the sorcerer can't do this unless they are divine soul sorcerers.

Skylivedk
2018-11-17, 03:35 PM
Don't do that. It's ineptly built by a troll who'd twist rules any way he can.

Troll, yes. Especially for posting the build three times (once for every five levels). Still some valid points in it.

Does the sorcerer get animate dead? I have my phb and it looks like the sorcerer can't do this unless they are divine soul sorcerers.
True. Divine soul is the way to go. Again :)

Dalebert
2018-11-17, 03:39 PM
And as a FYI, at level five sorcerers are much much better at necromancy because you can cast so many animate dead pr day. In the end you can sustain a small army. In comparison the necromancer Wizard is meh

How are you concluding that? I assume you mean by creating extra 3rd level slots with sorc points but I'm only getting 3 extra 3rd level slots, so 3 more undead, and that's at the cost of all your 1st and 2nd level slots as well. A wizard at 5 can arcane recovery and get another 3rd level slot while keeping all his other slots. So you're talking 2 more undead than a wizard. And if that wizard is a necromancer, he's going to catch up very quickly the next level as he starts getting bonus undead with every cast AND they're stronger.

Seems like a stretch to call that "much much better at necromancy".

Skylivedk
2018-11-17, 03:41 PM
How are you concluding that? I assume you mean by creating extra 3rd level slots with sorc points but I'm only getting 3 extra 3rd level slots, so 3 more undead, and that's at the cost of all your 1st and 2nd level slots as well. A wizard at 5 can arcane recovery and get another 3rd level slot while keeping all his other slots. So you're talking 2 more undead than a wizard. And if that wizard is a necromancer, he's going to catch up very quickly the next level as he starts getting bonus undead with every cast AND they're stronger.

Seems like a stretch to call that "much much better at necromancy".

Over time that means:
A) You can create your army faster
B) You can control 8 more undead

Nhorianscum
2018-11-17, 03:43 PM
Roll with extend+twin as early metamagic, snag heighten or distant at 3rd. Play as a buffmook with cleric wonderspells untill sorc 9 and use extended seeming on your skeles. (Extended death ward is a godsend)

Take V!Human(Prodigy) for expertise in deception and medicine proficency. Knowledge cleric 1 early and 2 whenever gives this the researcher feel with expertise in the big skills (arcana, religon).

As is the concept of "good guy who uses necro" is perfectly good as a base. I suggest brushing up on your Reanimator/Frankenstein for the rest of the fluff. (I'm a fan of plague doctor gone too far in this setting). Anything works as long as you remember, this guy is doing things that are icky, creepy, and Wrong. Go all in on it.

Spells look something like. Attack spells, Spirit Guardians, Spiritual weapon, Harm. Utility, Everything else.

Gipu
2018-11-20, 08:17 AM
Divine Soul Sorcerer are better necromancer than the Necromancer, wizard.
Also, It uses seeming spell and disguise amoung them.
Cast subtle spells and slain the enemy easily.

Vogie
2018-11-20, 03:56 PM
If you don't want to go Divine Soul Sorc, I'm fairly sure being part of the Golgari faction gives you access to Animate Dead as a bonus spell, regardless of your class.

I'm not certain, as my copy of Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica isn't being delivered until later today, but I could've sworn someone said that was the case, and it fits the Golgari thematically.

NecroDancer
2018-11-20, 04:14 PM
A good trick for necromancy is to remember that your not creating zombies..... your creating friends.

Vogie
2018-11-20, 04:21 PM
A good trick for necromancy is to remember that your not creating zombies..... your creating friends.

https://i.redd.it/xpdlohw6qir01.jpg